PDA

View Full Version : Category: Beef

chambersuac
03-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Next month I'm entered into a small non-sanctioned event and one of the categories is "Beef". It's a one-day event, so brisket is out, I'm guessing - not sure about turn in times, but can't imagine they'd be too late in the day.

So...my question to you experienced and wiser Brethren is: What would you cook? I have ideas, but can't nail one down and would like to figure it out and practice before the event.

Thanks

LMAJ
03-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Standing Rib roast.

chambersuac
03-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Okay, THAT wasn't one of my original thoughts. Really? Interesting.

Arlin_MacRae
03-18-2011, 11:34 AM
I don't have personal experience with it, really, but I've seen some real nice looking tri-tip roast pron here!

Fat Woody
03-18-2011, 11:54 AM
+1 for TRI TIP! Tasty, cooks fast (relatively), can be direct grilled or indirectly roasted (smoked).

Ron_L
03-18-2011, 11:57 AM
A rib roast would probably go over well, as would some nicely cooked filets, but that gets expensive. A nice, medium rare tri tip would be good, especially if you can include a sauce, like a red wine reduction of some sort.

LMAJ
03-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Not to lead you down the wrong path :rolleyes: - I have never competed, but I have done my share of cooking and I find a rib roast to be 1) Beef, 2) doesn't take anywhere near as long as brisket, or a chuckie and 3) it was the first thing that popped into my head.
I guess one of the questions are... what are the rules of this event??

FYI - can't get tri-tip around here to safe my life.

Dr_KY
03-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Hit them with something they thought couldn't be done on a grill..Beef Wellington!

We have great success doing them be it a bit expensive at times. It takes hardly any time to cook and looks amazing with very little plate primping.

Big George's BBQ
03-18-2011, 12:12 PM
What type of beef are you most comfortable with. If you can get your meat from a Butcher I would suggest that

G$
03-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Hot Smoked Rib Roast.

Rich Parker
03-18-2011, 12:29 PM
If I was a judge I would be really happy to get a nice med rare ribeye. :grin:

Contracted Cookers
03-18-2011, 12:37 PM
If you have to slice it for presentation I"d go with ribeye kabobes so as not to lose to many juices

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
03-18-2011, 12:38 PM
You could do a hot and fast brisket in 5 hours. Might end up being the only one to try it and impress the judges.

Ron_L
03-18-2011, 01:01 PM
This is the recipe of the week via e-mail from Weber. Sounds good. Of course, i don't know what is allowed by the rules.

http://www.weber.com/grillout/RecipeDetails.aspx?key=643&cid=2#

FattyMac
03-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Are you supplying the meat or does the contest supply it? Around these parts in the amateur contests the meat is supplied.

I was in a backyard contest last year where we were supposed to get a strip loin roast. I practiced using butchers beef & prime dust injection. I had a spicy beef rub that I used but I think Bovine Bold would be better. This was before I had tried any plowboy rubs. Slow smoked to medium as that's what we had to cook it to minimum. Rested with a scotch based sauce that was like a cross between a steak sauce and a BBQ sauce.

Well come the day of the comp we were given T-bone steaks. I didn't change a thing went with what I had been practicing just adjusted my cook times. We ended up with first in beef by a large enough margin that we won the comp overall despite some problems with the ribs.

huminie
03-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Here is what I turned in for tri-tip last weekend for an "anything goes" presentation. Scored a perfect 180.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo281/huminie/tritip-1.jpg

Arlin_MacRae
03-18-2011, 05:18 PM
^^^ That's the one I was remembering. Beautiful presentation.

chambersuac
03-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Well, if I were to thank each of ya individually, I'd run out of "thanks" button - I think. So...to ALL of you...thanks.

I've decided to do beef liver.

Just kidding.

I'm waiting to see the rules and what my team mate thinks - since he's covering food cost, I'll let him make at least 10 percent of the decision. LOL

landarc
03-18-2011, 07:43 PM
I originally thought tri-tip, even before Huminie once again posted his perfect plate. But, I do love a good hot smoked Prime Rib.

swamprb
03-18-2011, 08:16 PM
What is the timeline?

You could turbo cook a brisket flat in 4 hours, cooler it for an hour or two and serve it.

Reverse sear a Tri-Tip

Fajitas

Flat Iron steak

APL Beef back Ribs

Stuffed Flank steak
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ceramics/IMG_1627_1.jpg

just don't over cook it like I did!