PDA

View Full Version : Who else is cutting back?

rescue_ranger
03-17-2011, 04:05 PM
On competitions this year due to the skyrocketing cost of fuel and the higher cost of meats and supplies. I was looking at CostCo’s ribs yesterday and they were $26.00 a pack compared to the $18.00 I paid last year I’m afraid if things keep spiraling out of sight I will only be able to afford 1 or 2 events this year instead of the 4 or 6 I normally do. ( if ya need to move this thread I understand not sure if this is the right form or not):scared:

Bamabuzzard
03-17-2011, 04:08 PM
I don't do comps but I'm having to cut back. I wanted use the first part of 2011 to practice on doing briskets. I'm not very good at them, mainly because I haven't hardly cooked them. But with these beef prices I simply can't afford to "practice".

My neighbor is a store director for a local Brookshires and he said don't plan on "practicing" anytime soon if I was waiting on the prices to go down. :tsk:

swamprb
03-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Take a look at vegetable prices too. $2.99 for a head of green leaf lettuce and its s'posed to go up more!!

landarc
03-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Well, everything is going to go up, it is the cost of energy. Unfortunately, over the past 10 years, I have been cutting back pretty steadily. Such that it really doesn't feel bad anymore.

energyzer
03-17-2011, 05:15 PM
What sucks about all this, is I'm just starting out. Built my first UDS last fall. We are fortunate that we get lots of beef at no cost, but the roasts can go quickly. I wanted to do a lot of smoking, but won't be able to.

MariettaSmoker
03-17-2011, 11:04 PM
It all has to do with the cost of fuel. I drive a truck and when our fuel prices go up, those prices get passed on to the customers in the form of a fuel surcharge. Ours is now at 47 cents per mile. Think about that. The average load goes 1000 miles at 47 cents per. Fuel goes up, surcharge goes up. Fuel goes down, surcharge goes down, food prices go down.

OneHump
03-18-2011, 12:55 AM
It's more than the cost of energy folks. Energy is part of it, but the weather has not been kind to many exporters while demand in China continues to grow.

Food prices started the unrest in Tunisia that moved to Egypt, under a different pretense, and now engulfs much of the Middle East.

42BBQ
03-18-2011, 03:14 AM
Food inflation is a real a terrible thing. Commodity prices are even worse. The consumer has not even felt the true sting yet. Growing a garden this year.

Lake Dogs
03-18-2011, 07:17 AM
2006 was 16 chili cookoffs and 8 barbecue cookoffs, all sanctioned. Last year was
down to 2 and 2. This year, probably just 1 and 1.

Big Jim BBQ
03-18-2011, 10:04 AM
On competitions this year due to the skyrocketing cost of fuel and the higher cost of meats and supplies. I was looking at CostCo’s ribs yesterday and they were $26.00 a pack compared to the $18.00 I paid last year I’m afraid if things keep spiraling out of sight I will only be able to afford 1 or 2 events this year instead of the 4 or 6 I normally do. ( if ya need to move this thread I understand not sure if this is the right form or not):scared:
I agree. I don't do comps but this week I bought a pkg of Baby backs (3) and a pkg of butts (2) at Sam's...............$68. Gettin' tough.

Schraufy
03-18-2011, 10:22 AM
The costs are rising but I look at it like this, its my hobby and passion. I dont play golf or go on expensive vacations so my disposable income is spent on bbq. Everyone has something that they are into, like all of us are here.

Dr_KY
03-18-2011, 10:26 AM
After the last three years if I cut back any deeper I'll be in the marrow!

got14u
03-18-2011, 10:27 AM
One good thing about living in Wyoming is you raise your own meat or shoot it, and you grow your own veggies and can them. People around here don't feel it like city folks do. Also when gas prices are high everyone here is working, only good thing about that

FltEng
03-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Funny thing is I got into smoking several years ago to save money. I could stretch out a butt or couple of racks of ribs for the entire weeks lunches. Can't do that anymore...

expatpig
03-18-2011, 10:43 AM
The costs are rising but I look at it like this, its my hobby and passion. I dont play golf or go on expensive vacations so my disposable income is spent on bbq. Everyone has something that they are into, like all of us are here.

This is also my take on it. Maybe it's time to get back to the basics of BBQ. Taking a less desirable cut of meat and turning it into a tender, juicy, flavorfull protein. Forget the choice briskets, the Berkshire pork. I just ordered a 1/4 beef, while most want steaks roasts and ground beef, I told him I wanted the brisket, tri tip, shortribs and shanks which normally get ground up. Go bargain hunting, think outside the box. Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do with these oxtails!:thumb:

Big D BBQ
03-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Agreed, I split a cow with the neighbor and got a pretty good price. Looking to do the same with a pig. Really cuts the costs down if you have a 2nd freezer to store.

rescue_ranger
03-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Will I agree with everyone on the issues stated fuel cost go up so the price of commodities shipped will go up, also last year devastating droughts in Russia and China weakened the grain crop as did the cooler summer nights in our Midwest weaken our wheat and corn crops and with the extremely cold winters that reached into the Southern states our winter crops such as bell peppers, lettuces and such not to mention the citrus crops were all hurt resulting in lower yields and stunted fruits and vegetables, and again add into this the cost to transport. Now with the devastating hit Japan has taken in there heartland where most of their food supplies our grown, there rice paddies were destroyed and will be from what I understand because of the water contamination from oil and chemicals render these fields unusable for the next 3 years, so demand on a weaken system will get tighter and prices will go up as will fuel prices still, with the devastation of their nuclear reactors their ability to create power to their nation has been crippled so they will either need to rely on coal powered power plants or fossil fuel fired plants, mark my words they will go with fossil fuel fired plants to power there generators they do not have the infrastructure in place to convert to coal fired power they will need to construct these power plants so back to supply and demand as you can see it is a devastating loop were in for now. Will let me stop I can go on and on and on let me finish with this please my work involves gathering and analyzing ELINT and I have been watching this for several years now and have seen this coming, things just speeded up with the current events that will have worldwide effects on all economies so to sum up this with the loss and reductions of worldwide crops will result in higher food prices the reduction of oil production will result in higher fuel prices the combination will drastically reduce supplies and that in term will mean profit loss and then higher unemployment and unstable trade markets… not preaching the end of the world folks but I am saying it is going to much worse before the sun will come completely out from behind the clouds… Not a sermon just a thought.
RR/ Mike
:tsk:

Big George's BBQ
03-18-2011, 11:21 AM
We are cutting back on things Right now only one Comp for this year

Dr_KY
03-18-2011, 11:33 AM
The last two years we have had to make decisions that were not very tough when you look at it such as... Do we go to a competition and spend money to win some glass OR do we take on catering and make cash?

Guess what we usually do. :)

Mister Bob
03-18-2011, 11:47 AM
I should be cutting back, but my BBQ addiction won't let me. I should probably cut back on over eating and beer drinking too, but.....

Dr_KY
03-18-2011, 11:58 AM
I should be cutting back, but my BBQ addiction won't let me. I should probably cut back on over eating and beer drinking too, but.....
Agreed :thumb: I'm doing other things BBQ and food related just not competing as often. Granted there are not anywhere near the amount on comps here in the UK and choice is limited but other avenues still allow me to cook with the added bonus of sleep.lol The private Q events like the National Federation of Women's Institutes (NFWI) gigs are working well for us. :cool:

Mark
03-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Will I agree with everyone on the issues stated fuel cost go up so the price of commodities shipped will go up, also last year devastating droughts in Russia and China weakened the grain crop as did the cooler summer nights in our Midwest weaken our wheat and corn crops and with the extremely cold winters that reached into the Southern states our winter crops such as bell peppers, lettuces and such not to mention the citrus crops were all hurt resulting in lower yields and stunted fruits and vegetables, and again add into this the cost to transport. Now with the devastating hit Japan has taken in there heartland where most of their food supplies our grown, there rice paddies were destroyed and will be from what I understand because of the water contamination from oil and chemicals render these fields unusable for the next 3 years, so demand on a weaken system will get tighter and prices will go up as will fuel prices still, with the devastation of their nuclear reactors their ability to create power to their nation has been crippled so they will either need to rely on coal powered power plants or fossil fuel fired plants, mark my words they will go with fossil fuel fired plants to power there generators they do not have the infrastructure in place to convert to coal fired power they will need to construct these power plants so back to supply and demand as you can see it is a devastating loop were in for now. Will let me stop I can go on and on and on let me finish with this please my work involves gathering and analyzing ELINT and I have been watching this for several years now and have seen this coming, things just speeded up with the current events that will have worldwide effects on all economies so to sum up this with the loss and reductions of worldwide crops will result in higher food prices the reduction of oil production will result in higher fuel prices the combination will drastically reduce supplies and that in term will mean profit loss and then higher unemployment and unstable trade markets… not preaching the end of the world folks but I am saying it is going to much worse before the sun will come completely out from behind the clouds… Not a sermon just a thought.
RR/ Mike

There are other factors involved including the redirection of corn to ethanol.

However, perhaps the biggest impact is overall inflation caused by our govenrment's habit of printing money to pay for $hit.

Paul B
03-18-2011, 07:31 PM
RR/ Mike

You left out the new 15% required ethonal, which takes away from our food source!!! As it feeds cows chickens pigs and usins.

Paul B

swamprb
03-18-2011, 09:08 PM

Take a look at vegetable prices too. $2.99 for a head of green leaf lettuce and its s'posed to go up more!!

We have been spending a weekend a month for the last 5 months at our meat supplier doing cooks for the cafe. In return we will get our comp meats for the season so that won't be a huge drain to the budget, but I still plan to cut back on the number of events we will cook.

jestridge
03-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Just have to watch your pennies and don't buy stuff you don't need, or trade things

NorthwestBBQ
03-18-2011, 09:43 PM
We have been spending a weekend a month for the last 5 months at our meat supplier doing cooks for the cafe. In return we will get our comp meats for the season so that won't be a huge drain to the budget, but I still plan to cut back on the number of events we will cook.

May I ask who is "we?"

goodbuddiesbbq
03-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do with these oxtails!:thumb:

Salt...Pepper...Garlic Powder

250 degrees until the little divided pieces get to 205 degrees internal.

Mashed Potatoes

Mushroom Gravy w/ Onions

Drench

As far as costs...they are gonna go up and down, but take on a teammate that can help cut costs or possibly a 3rd teammate. Another good way to cut costs is selling your comp meat leftovers to friends and families. I know every person has different money situations, but don't let an extra $75 a contest chase you away from one of the "luxuries" in life that you enjoy.

What else would you do for fun with that extra $75?

NorthwestBBQ
03-18-2011, 09:51 PM
It's an addiction. Addictions are expensive. It is also one of the most exhilarating experiences I've ever had.

worthsmokin
03-18-2011, 10:10 PM
It's an addiction. Addictions are expensive. It is also one of the most exhilarating experiences I've even had.

:thumb: I just can't afford my addiction. I am jonesing

sitnfat
03-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Instead of worrying about the rising cost of what I need to cook I focus on doing what I can to pay for it. Selling the leftovers, catering etc.Most of which makes the local owner of the BBQ joint in this small town nervous lol

luckyduk
03-19-2011, 11:49 AM
I know every person has different money situations, but don't let an extra $75 a contest chase you away from one of the "luxuries" in life that you enjoy.

What else would you do for fun with that extra $75?

Exactly how I look at it as!

Great thing about Sam's is their credit card and they are more than willing to let you put stuff on it :heh::heh:
This year I bought a case of brisket, which you save off per pound price, aged them and then froze them. Talk to the meat guys, they will give you case price on meats even though you do not buy a case :thumb: Just gotta ask!!
I like to space my costs out over time versus within a week or so.....the weekend of a comp I have minimal costs

Ford
03-19-2011, 12:46 PM
last year I did 11 contests. This year with FBA and KCBS I will do 25-30. Of course I'll vend the majority of them. I now package the leftover pork and brisket into 1/2 pans for vending. Can add about $300 in sandwich sales without any cost of meat or cooking cost. I've already done 7 and last year at this time I was just doing my second. Will compete the next 5 weeks as well and vend at each one.

dreed
03-19-2011, 01:10 PM
We will do about the same number of comps, around 8 as last year, but plan on doing more vending to pay for the comps. Winning some $$ would certainly help as well. It also helps when the wife remains supportive despite the rising cost of the events.

QansasjayhawQ
03-20-2011, 01:34 AM
My dad (God rest his soul) used to tell me this story when I was young. Please take just a moment or two to read it. It says a lot about how you experience 'the economy'.

http://activerain.com/blogsview/793563/the-hot-dog-parable-a-new-twist

For 2011 I am competing in more competitions and judging at more events than ever. Because it's what I love to do . . .

Dale P
03-20-2011, 06:44 AM
We are going to cook 3 times as many as last years pitiful 2.
Our oldest child has a couple years left of college and then our Son is going to be starting college in 2 years. With that said, me being able to cook 6-8 contests this year is a stretch for sure. I have to win some $ back. I love the party and the people but I am out to win so look out. :)

moocow
03-20-2011, 08:28 AM
We have lost a team member this year so now we are dividing things up 3 ways instead of 4 but aren't going to let it slow us down. I am lucky as I can work as much overtime as I want when I need to make extra money. I have hit it hard all winter in preparation for this summer. We have also found creative ways to make money doing BBQ related things to help offset costs. We were able to send in all of our entry fees for the year yesterday with that money and now each contest will only cost us about $50 each and we are happy with that. We have also found ways to cut down on what we need to bring to a comp. The biggest problem we are going to have this year is keeping gas in the two trucks we need for the 5th wheel and BBQ trailer. I guess my point is if you love doing it you will find away to make it happen. Even if you don't have enough money to handle a comp right now still go and enjoy yourself, I am sure there would be no shortage of Brethren that would welcome you in for a weekend!

stan
03-20-2011, 09:53 AM
This will be my rookie year competing. I have been helping a team for several years and now my wife and I are taking the plunge into competing. We plan on doing 4-6 contests this year. I am fortunate that I have many connection with businesses that I can get to sponsor me at the contests so I can get the entry fees paid and cover some if not all the meat cost. So the gas will be the big cost. Tough year to jump into competing with everything going on in the economy but you do what you have a passion for! If you see County Line Smokers out at a contest please stop by and say high!

ThomEmery
03-20-2011, 10:51 AM
We will cook two contests in 2011
I had to drop most of em
Workin the day job two days a week :(
and catering way more than I used to,
mostly small parties of 100 ish
We are now cooking simple lunches at local churches Sunday services
Church start ups (church plants) are like a $1.00 a head
established churches are $5, very modest profit
it generates leads and I know WHO I am serving

grossepellets
03-20-2011, 05:22 PM
I like this post I just came from the grocery store and I while I looked at the prices I thought "eat less exercise more."
We have 3 people that run the Mojobricks business. We started the biz in the spring of 2008 and have been hustling right along with everyone else. In our world its one roller coaster ride after another. If you have never started a business you should try it just so you can experience the agony of the whole thing 1st hand! :-P This is the 1st year we are able to enter comps and the only reason I am doing it is to have fun!
If you do it for some other reason you probably will be better off elsewhere.

We certainly can't afford it but we have no choice as its the only way to get the product in front of you. I run the show on most fronts and my wife handles the books and the 3rd person is here when you need Him. Although,you can never find Him. Its the craziest thing He is elusive! The other thing is we have yet to ask Him for help we just know He is here. I have to say My wife and I are grateful for all the actual miracles that play out in front of our eyes - just watching everything unfold has given me hope - without the change! Thanks everyone for your posts - just remember you can take the cheapest piece of meat and turn it into something of fabulous flavor!

Bigmista
03-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do with these oxtails!:thumb:

Send them to me!

Seriously, smoke them for a couple of hours. Then put them in a foil pan with some beef broth and sliced onions. Cover with foil and braise for another couple of hours.