PDA

View Full Version : NKC and Judges

Butcher BBQ
03-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Whats bad is I remember several CBJ's here saying that they couldn't get in to judge or no returned calls. Looking at the results on the KCBS site I noticed they had 40% cbj's. Thats pathetic and hope more see this when thinking about returning.

Bentley
03-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Was a decision made by the promoter not to use as many CBJ's as possible?

musicmanryann
03-15-2011, 03:59 PM
David, I know of several MASTER cbj's that tried to get in and couldn't even get a response from the organizers. :confused:

monty3777
03-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Thats pathetic and hope more see this when thinking about returning.

I won't be doing any thinking about returning :sick:

rip
03-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Whats bad is I remember several CBJ's here saying that they couldn't get in to judge or no returned calls. Looking at the results on the KCBS site I noticed they had 40% cbj's. Thats pathetic and hope more see this when thinking about returning.

I agree!!

luckyduk
03-15-2011, 04:47 PM
I won't be doing any thinking about returning :sick:
I agree!!!
Wasn't just the judging....I had someone ask me if I wanted ice once Friday afternoon when setting up, that's it.......trash pickup once also........come to speak of it I never even had anybody even in my site except for meat inspection....(not even a KCBS rep to verify time or what-not :tsk:)

worthsmokin
03-15-2011, 05:23 PM
I agree!!!
(not even a KCBS rep to verify time or what-not :tsk:)

My wife mentioned the same thing about the time. It is not a very organized contest at all. The vending was horrific. They had wooden tokens but no signs to tell patrons where to get them. We got turned in for taking cash (which we didn't accept cash) Then the guy that was giving out the tokens on friday night left at 900pm and didn't tell us, when he was supposed to be there until 1100pm. You better believe we took cash after we found out he left us high and dry.

I saw a few post where CBJ where turned down. There is no excuse for that and the KCBS should do something about contest that turn down CBJ's This is the second year we have gone to NKC. It is fun to get out after the long winter, but why go there MAD and leave MADDER :mad2:

HoDeDo
03-15-2011, 06:26 PM
NKC has never had many CBJs - they have area "celeb" judges, and don't tend to care if they get a lot of CBJs. I've sworn off cooking that comp years ago - and I hear the same thing every year.

They are much more focused on the other snake sat. events. Cooks have always been second on the list. Did they give away scores this year, or say they would mail them?

One of these years I will line up some sponsors and host a comp on the same weekend. lol Sorry you guys had the poor experiences. I am not surprised, but as long as that comp has been around, I had hoped it was doing better these days.

Jeff_in_KC
03-15-2011, 06:37 PM
40% is BS! I have talked to two people in that room and when asked how many were CBJ's one person told me 10 raised their hands. Another said "maybe 12". Either way, best possible percentage is 11% CBJ. I had a good time (busy though) at the event but I won't be back. Took two years to learn my lesson. Also, the crappers on our side (behind the bowling alley) were left unattended all weekend. Not only were there just two in the whole area for maybe 25 teams, one was completely full (I mean up to your ass if you sat on it!) and the other was covered in puke where someone ralphed all over the rim! Still that way as we headed to awards on Saturday. What are we? Animals? Seen shelter animals treated better sanitation-wise.

musicmanryann
03-15-2011, 07:03 PM
I understand all the arguments about how high CBJ percentage doesn't always mean a fairly judged contest, but for me it's just another metric when deciding whether or not to go. Unfortunately, we only really have the previous year's percentage to go by, which the KCBS website stated at 80% for 2010. Had it been at 40% for 2010, we would have thought a little harder about it. On the other hand, It was really nice nice getting out early in the year and getting the cobwebs dusted off! Had a great time as well catching up with friends!:becky:

Pigs on Fire
03-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Just looking in from the outside....

I have seen a LOT of complaints about this contest. Looks like it has years of complaints. So tell me this- How do they get 104 teams to show up and many of them are "high profile" teams???

Smokin' Hicks
03-15-2011, 07:58 PM
This just burns my ass my first comp. and this is the crap i get to deal with.....lesson learned....never again unless it is 90-100% CBJ

Sticks-n-chicks
03-15-2011, 07:59 PM
One of these years I will line up some sponsors and host a comp on the same weekend. lol Sorry you guys had the poor experiences. I am not surprised, but as long as that comp has been around, I had hoped it was doing better these days.

I say you have the polar swine next year on the same weekend!!!

EarlyBird
03-15-2011, 07:59 PM
We learned our lesson last year with the fiasco we had parking my RV there. It is a poorly run contest. Awards are always late. I have never gotten a score sheet from them. My wife did not want to do it last year, but I wanted a tune up before North Little Rock. When wen left I said I would never cook that one again. I know other people that thought the same. Where was the defending champ? But then why does this contest get over 100 teams? Cabin Fever, BBQ comp withdraws. Everybody is jonesing to cook and this is the first one. This contest will never change until people vote by NOT showing up. That might get their attention, but maybe not, they are not the sharpest group.

Andy, if you had a comtest that weekend you KNOW we will be there cooking.

monty3777
03-15-2011, 08:02 PM

I have seen a LOT of complaints about this contest. Looks like it has years of complaints. So tell me this- How do they get 104 teams to show up and many of them are "high profile" teams???

For me it has to do with timing and location. Where I live many of the early contests are way too far away to justify driving to them. KC is about at my outer limits. I am ready to get going and this contest was the closest and the soonest one I could get in to. I'm with Ryan. This was a good excuse to cook the cobwebs out of a smoker I haven't used much lately. Now if I get the same results at Jeff's contest there will be a Jambo for sale come mid-June! :wink:

carlyle
03-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Reading this thread has been instructive. Thank you to everyone.

Sounds like a very efficient way to ruin the reputation of a contest and put it's future in question.

MoKanMeathead
03-16-2011, 12:32 PM
This contest has been getting bad press and bad reviews by the cooks for as long as I can remember. We cooked it ONCE in 2004 and hated the contest...haven't cooked it since. However, it still gets over 100 teams every year - even many of the teams that complain about how bad it is.

HarleyEarl
03-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Carlyle, if you would have been at the contest and experienced the whole event, you would believe me when I say that the comments above were kind to the organizers. I had considered not returning next year even before the contest started due to extremely poor communication with the organizer, but after cooking the weekend observing the sanitary conditions, experiencing the poor service, and seeing the especially the low percentage of CBJ's, I will not be returning!

As for the contest's reputation, I think they lived up to it - I hear the same feedback every year (at least this year they handed out the score sheets). I have not seen one comment that has been untrue or out of line. The only thing this contest can do for their reputation is try harder. Even under new "management" for the last couple year's, their reputation has not improved.

I can do a St. Paddy's day practice cook at home and save the frustration and entry fee. However if I see a pledge from the organizer next year that they will treat us like professionals and provide at least 90% CBJ's, I might reconsider, but at this point I don't see that happening.

4 smokin butts
03-16-2011, 01:32 PM
on onother site someone said judges gave out some 4-5s or 5-6s on the kids Q,come on ....my kids wont enter,athough any kids that enter should be given 8-9s,they are all winners for trying......i heard 48 cbjs

KC_Bobby
03-16-2011, 01:46 PM
I heard this event was a state of the art.

When 2nd place chicken gets a 23.something from one judge ... and 77th chicken gets a 36 from another judge it does make you wonder. And it's even more of a feat for those who did well to overcome the consistent inconsistencies of the judging.

Smokin' Joe
03-16-2011, 01:51 PM
I think the key is to be sure our fellow competitors are informed on the matter. We need to be sure everyoone knows what they are getting in to when the sign up for this in 2012. If I'm still upright I will make the post in 2012:-P

Smokin' Joe
03-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Lets all pressure Andy into organizing a KCBS event on the same weekend in 2012:idea:

4 smokin butts
03-16-2011, 01:58 PM
with electric....

musicmanryann
03-16-2011, 03:10 PM
with electric....

I couldn't hear myself think with all those roaring non-quiet generators going. you guys were even right across from that really loud one.

4 smokin butts
03-16-2011, 03:17 PM
ya butt i heard it,i thought aprovved gen. only,not loud ones, the judges liked my wifes dessert mug also ,one missing

4 smokin butts
03-16-2011, 03:25 PM
This contest has been getting bad press and bad reviews by the cooks for as long as I can remember. We cooked it ONCE in 2004 and hated the contest...haven't cooked it since. However, it still gets over 100 teams every year - even many of the teams that complain about how bad it is.
i guess you think it cant realy be that bad,when i heard they didnt get score sheets last year on saturday,i was like WHAT,but we did get our sheets...we still had a good time seeing everyone..we will be at jeffs contest and invite every one over for our "911"sat dennis:-D

luckyduk
03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
I couldn't hear myself think with all those roaring non-quiet generators going. you guys were even right across from that really loud one.

One of the two right next to us sounded like a wide open go-cart that never went anywhere......we would all cheer when it ran out of gas :-P:clap2::-P

worthsmokin
03-16-2011, 07:50 PM
On the other hand, It was really nice nice getting out early in the year and getting the cobwebs dusted off! Had a great time as well catching up with friends!:becky:

I second that. It was nice to catch up with friends and make new ones.

BBQ_Mayor
03-16-2011, 09:35 PM
That is horsechit! I put into judge this contest and no call.
I'll steer clear of those celeb judging events if I can. It's crap that us cooks put up a butt load of money in gas, supplies, and meats to feed a bunch of area celebs.:mad2:

Jeff_in_KC
03-16-2011, 10:55 PM

Easy... first one of the year in the midwest and folks are itchin' to cook.

Rookie'48
03-16-2011, 11:49 PM
As far as I'm concerned I'll never ask to judge this contest again. It's bad enough that I sent three e-mails to Jay but he just didn't even show the common decency to farkin' respond at all! And then to watch at the awards ceremony while the KCBS gave this jackass an AWARD for his contest --- I damn near walked out right then & there. I seriously intend to spend many years telling everyone that I can about this fiasco :mad2:.

HoDeDo
03-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Lets all pressure Andy into organizing a KCBS event on the same weekend in 2012:idea:

Guys, I would be happy to do it. But we would need entrants that are fine being paid back from the entry fees alone. I am tapped out on sponsors who would want to put up funds. If we can get some folks together to get some prize money up... I'd get it put together.

I have several venues that I am sure we could tap into if there was enough interest.

HarleyEarl
03-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Guys, I would be happy to do it. But we would need entrants that are fine being paid back from the entry fees alone.

I doubt you'll have any problem filling the field. :clap2: If you can get this to fly you can count us in.

Capn Kev
03-17-2011, 10:32 AM

Perhaps it's time to bring it to the attention of KCBS. Stop the sanctioning. 40% CBJs for a contest of 104 teams should qualify for a removal of sanctioning, especially when there were tons of CBJs being turned away. Let them have the contest but let's take the KCBS name off of it, so no one expects KCBS standards. What is the feedback from the KCBS reps? They have to know that this contest is a problem child.

Smokin' Joe
03-17-2011, 10:39 AM
What is the feedback from the KCBS reps? They have to know that this contest is a problem child.

The reps gave the Organizer an award and called it a state of the art event at the awards...not sure they see a problem:confused:

Smokin' Joe
03-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Guys, I would be happy to do it. But we would need entrants that are fine being paid back from the entry fees alone. I am tapped out on sponsors who would want to put up funds. If we can get some folks together to get some prize money up... I'd get it put together.

I have several venues that I am sure we could tap into if there was enough interest.

I would be in! I was joking at first but now I'm serious:becky: I would help recruit teams, etc. I think it would work!!!

VGuilford
03-17-2011, 11:05 AM

You can count on me to help out, Andy. I've got this volunteer thing down.

crd26a
03-17-2011, 12:25 PM

I'd cook it in a heartbeat Andy. I wanted to do NKC, but the reputation alone kept me out of it. I don't have a contest in March, and would cook it with payout coming out of fees. Also, more than happy to help out however I could in helping you organize (having never done it).

bover
03-17-2011, 12:41 PM

CBJ friend of mine tried to get in to judge this one as well only to get crickets in response from the organizer. He finally got a response a couple of days before the event that all judges were supposed to submit their requests through the website instead of emailing. That's all well and good, but at least the guy could have provided that little tidbit of information earlier instead of just ignoring the email. Complete d-bag move. Anyway, if you do end up getting something going I'd be happy to volunteer for whatever needs to be done to help out.

Jorge
03-17-2011, 01:02 PM

You know your bride is going to :roll: when she reads this:becky: I'll block that weekend out to volunteer.

Gadragonfly
03-17-2011, 01:13 PM

I have a crazy idea for you but it might be one no one has thought of before - tire companies. The next time you are at a contest count the number of large rigs and then multiply that by 12 (assuming most are triple axle trailers pulled by dually trucks). I don't know how often you have to replace tires but it might be worth a small amount of sponsorship - not to mention the people who attend the event that do replace daily use tires every few years. Just a thought - outside the box. Julie

LindaM
03-17-2011, 07:31 PM
I agree!!!
Wasn't just the judging....I had someone ask me if I wanted ice once Friday afternoon when setting up, that's it.......trash pickup once also........come to speak of it I never even had anybody even in my site except for meat inspection....(not even a KCBS rep to verify time or what-not :tsk:)

I only hope that each and every competitor sends in a critique to KCBS. Maybe they will put pressure on the organizer to make things better.... in KC such a low percentage of judges is inexcusible.

luckyduk
03-17-2011, 08:48 PM
I only hope that each and every competitor sends in a critique to KCBS. Maybe they will put pressure on the organizer to make things better.... in KC such a low percentage of judges is inexcusible.

Never even got/seen a critique sheet.....the one time I was looking for one!

HarleyEarl
03-17-2011, 09:25 PM

They handed them out at the door after the cooks meeting. If you weren't paying attention, you would have missed it. Just one more example...

Oh, did anyone see the KCBS reps Saturday morning? I'm used to the reps coming by with the clock mid-morning - only rep I saw was cruising by in a cart wearing a green wig with a big smile:doh:.

Butcher BBQ
03-17-2011, 09:49 PM

I'm in Andy. You know you could get the majority of the comp teams that go North.

Plowboy
03-17-2011, 10:18 PM

You can get them off of the www.kcbs.us (http://www.kcbs.us) site.

barnburner
03-17-2011, 10:26 PM
I was lucky enough to judge this contest for the first time ever since I joined KCBS 6 years ago now. I have tried to judge this contest every year and never gotten any response until this year. I am also a very seasoned master judge having just judged my 74th KCBS contest. I'll only add a few points and then move on.

1. When the rep asked all the uncertified judges to raise their hand to be counted there were so many he told them to put their hands down and then called for the certified judges to raise their hand because there was far, far less to count. I would estimate maybe 20 certified judges in the room.

2. There were so many uncertified judges in the room that did not pay attention to KCBS rules. I discovered couples sitting together. More than several uncertified judges playing with their cell phones while judging. Half way through judging, the rep announced that they ran out of drinking water to judge with and the entire water system in the building was broken and shut down. That meant that no bathrooms were available other than outside at best. I thought at one point it would turn into the New Orleans superdome/Hurricane Katrina incident for a spell. Thankfully, it did not and the water was working again about the time brisket came in.

Personally, I will never go back to judge for these and a few other reasons. There is absolutely no where to park and if you are lucky enough to find a spot to park, there is no preferential judge parking (for free anyways). And, it really is a poorly run contest. The lack of communication is really bad. I would like to add though there were a lot of great people in the room that did a fantastic job and they should be commended for volunteering their free time and hard work.

Butcher BBQ
03-17-2011, 10:42 PM
We all know KCBS is not active on the forum. So all that is upset go to this site to tell them your thoughts: www.kcbs.us/critique.php?type=contestant

goodbuddiesbbq
03-17-2011, 10:58 PM
I judged the kids q and the taste and tenderness just wasn't there this year (wagyu)...that's why I scored it a 4 and 5. I was just judging as fair as I know how.

Its a joke...that is nuts when kids are catching 4's and 5's.

Kcbs may not move as fast as you'd like I'm sure this isn't their first gripes...I say the best way is to vote with your wallet or send an email to the organizer letting em know.

But it is nice to see The Pickled Pig up there again. I guess they got the least amount of 5's.