PDA

View Full Version : Southern California

cheez
03-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Headed out to sunny southern California on Sunday. Will be there for about 10 days. It will be just awful to leave behind the snow and cold rain :wink:

Have never been in the area before - anyplace or any certain foods I should make it a point to try? Doesn't have to be barbecue.... though it always can be :thumb:

landarc
03-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Depends on where you are going to be, but, hitting Big Mista's would not be a bad idea. Some folks consider a trip to Pink's Hotdogs to be a good idea.

gtr
03-12-2011, 03:45 PM
What part of SoCal & What kind of food are you interested in checking out?

Got to do a few things around the house today, but I can definitely work up a great list for you by later tonight. I live in Culver City, which is a great little town tucked inside of West L.A., so most of my suggestions will be in the L.A. area. Moose knows a lot - and I mean a lot - about places to eat on the Westside of L.A. including Santa Monica and those areas.

cheez
03-12-2011, 04:42 PM
What part of SoCal & What kind of food are you interested in checking out?

Well, I have 8 different places to be on 8 (or so) succeeding days. Starting out in Oxnard tomorrow/Monday, then in LA, out to around Chino (not going to list all 8 here), last two are by San Diego. We'll be off next weekend, so can "move around" a bit then if we'd like (I'm not paying for the rental car or the gas :laugh:).

Food? I like it all :becky:. Q is great if we find some, there's gotta be some stuff like Mexican or other ethnic stuff that we don't find here in Ohio, hell, I think I even have to try In-N-Out once. Don't know what else, won't spend the money to eat great dinners out every night, but I always like to try some local stuff whenever I am on the road. And of course, someplace with good beer on tap to go with the good food is always a great idea:thumb: Any suggestions greatly appreciated! I'll certainly check back here once I get to a hotel tomorrow.

gtr
03-13-2011, 12:47 AM
In N Out Burger is a great place to go. I always get the double double "animal style" - that's with the patty slathered with mustard, then grilled, grilled onions & other goodness.
Pink's is good, but sometimes the line is too long - basically if the line goes past the corner of the building, I won't go.

Zankou Chicken is an Armenian chicken place - there are multiple locations. The chicken is the thing there and their garlic paste is amazing. One of my favorite places to eat for over 20 years.

Fatburger (chain) has great hamburgers as does the Apple Pan (single location on Pico near Westwood). I've heard Umami Burger (I think on La Brea) is amazing, but haven't been there myself.

Gallegos Mexican Deli on Venice Blvd. near Centinela is really good, esp. the tamales. Yuca's is a tiny Mexican burrito/taco stand on Hillhurst near Los Feliz which is awesome - great cochinita pibil (pork!). Gotta mention El Coyote (on Beverly near LaBrea) - food is not so great but the atmosphere and margaritas more than make up for the food.

Jitlada (Thai food) on Sunset in East Hollywood is really great as is Sanamluang Cafe on Hollywood Blvd. in East Hollywood.

Yang Chow is a great Chinese restaurant in Chinatown - not sure how authentic it is, but it's a great place to go and slippery shrimp is the thing to get.

Expensive steak dept.:
Dan Tana's - fantastic steak and looks like the Sopranos when you walk in.
Lawry's - classic prime rib dinner, yorkshire pudding, all that - there's a reason people come from all over the world to eat there - guaranteed great meal.
Pacific Dining Car - great steaks, and L.A. institution, shows up a lot in James Elroy's novels
Mastro's - I think there are a few locations - again, great steak and you will pay for it.

You might want to check out the food trucks - especially Kogi (http://kogibbq.com/). They usually put up their schedule on Mondays - if it's at all possible, check them out - a blend of Korean and Mexican that is really great. They also have a brick and mortar restaurant called Chego in Culver City - fantastic food and cheap.

There's also Roscoe's Chicken & Waffle (soul food), Harold & Belle's (Cajun/Creole), Honey's Kettle (fried chicken) & a place called Aunt Kizzy's Kitchen which I haven't been to but have heard is great.

Hope this helps & by all means feel free to pm me - I can get more specific on locations, etc. if you need.

gtr
03-13-2011, 01:10 AM
btw the most obvious & must-go place is here:

http://bigmista.com/

garyk1398
03-13-2011, 05:30 AM
When you get down to San Diego, I recommend you head over to Hodad's for a great burger!

http://www.hodadies.com/

firemedic
03-13-2011, 04:44 PM
San Diego Strip Club is pretty fantastic (named after strip steaks) Your meat/poultry/fish is served raw and you grill it yourself. A little pricey but good eats. If you are in Orange County PM me, I can point you in the right direction.

Dr_KY
03-13-2011, 05:00 PM
In-n-Out
3927 Grand Ave
Chino, CA 91710
(800) 786-1000
is a must and while you are in Chino drop into
Tommy's
12205 Mountain Ave
Chino, CA 91710-2760
(909) 391-8753

then get over to The Hat (http://www.thehat.com/) in Ontario for a brilliant pastrami.

cheez
03-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! gtr, awesome post, thanks for all of the details. Got into town today, and figured that Sunday might be a good day to drive around LA a bit, so we headed for Pink's. Line wasn't too bad, and we enjoyed the dogs. After a drive up the coast it was sushi for dinner. We'll work on more of the ideas as we get the chance!