PDA

View Full Version : New CBJs!

Arlin_MacRae
03-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Well, Jeannie and I are one-hour old CBJs. Took Merl's course in Enid we're ready to go!

Kevin
03-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Woo Hoo :thumb:

Chenernator
03-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Welcome to the fold!

smalls65
03-12-2011, 03:37 PM
congrats!!!!!:becky:

ThomEmery
03-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Did you get your cooler yet?
:)

mobow
03-12-2011, 05:44 PM
what are your thoughts on the class??

LindaM
03-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Well, Jeannie and I are one-hour old CBJs. Took Merl's course in Enid we're ready to go!

Well if things go as some plan you may have taken his last class....

Arlin_MacRae
03-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks all!

Good class. Merl focused on submerging personal feelings and judging per the rules. Two things really stuck above the rest: Don't be the 'BBQ Police' and look for the good, and DO THE COOKER NO HARM. Good words. After the first round of judging I started to to realize I scored on the high side.

And yeah, one of the last classes, possibly, from Merl & Carol. Sad. It's just BBQ, right!?

swamprb
03-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Congratulations!

Did Pork collars come up?

Fat Woody
03-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Congrats! You kids will make great judges!

RixCue
03-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Congrats ! My CBJ stuff just came in the mail today !

Bentley
03-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Do yo feel like a CBJ? That is the most important part!

Hub
03-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Congratulations! When you judge, always remember that the cooks who put the stuff in front of you put in a lot of "blood, sweat, and tears" to get it there. They deserve your total attention and adherence to the rules. Now -- Have fun!!!

Hub
(native Sooner, lived in Enid a long time)

Arlin_MacRae
03-13-2011, 08:57 AM

Bought a new 48-quart one with wheels on all corners, and chrome, and... :)

Congratulations!

Did Pork collars come up?

Thanks, bro! As a matter of fact he did explain the difference between pork collars and the cuts that were legal. Cutting edge stuff. :)

Congrats! You kids will make great judges!

Thanks, dad! :)

Do yo feel like a CBJ? That is the most important part!

I feel...different. Now we're empowered to drive hundreds of miles for no chance at a payout, find our own lodging, get no pre-turn in taste tests, have no all-day conversations...I'd better stop! :-D It does feel great.

Congratulations! When you judge, always remember that the cooks who put the stuff in front of you put in a lot of "blood, sweat, and tears" to get it there. They deserve your total attention and adherence to the rules. Now -- Have fun!!!

Hub
(native Sooner, lived in Enid a long time)

Right on, Hub. Having had the privilege of cooking at a few comps I know just what you mean. I think the requirement to cook with a team before getting your master's certificate is very smart on the society's part.

Arlin

Rich Parker
03-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Glad you guys enjoyed it. I sat through a CBJ class yesterday taught by Mike Lake, and he hit the same points about not trying to be bbq police and about the pork collar.

It was a good class and opened my eyes on what new judges think.

Trucky1008
03-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Congrats on completing CBJ class! I'm attending one in two weeks, looking forward to it.

Smokin Mike
03-13-2011, 10:59 AM
congrats guys!

hope to see you on the trail this year :)

musicmanryann
03-13-2011, 10:53 PM

Seriously almost lost a keyboard and a monitor from beer-from-mouth sprary on that one!:laugh:

carlyle
03-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Congrats, I'll add mine to all the rest.

Love Thom's comment and musicmanryan's response -- just too funny!!

guntera
03-14-2011, 07:41 PM

I was there too! My wife and I sat at the front row right hand side...I thought the class had some useful information. Why is it going to be possisbly Merl's last class?

Arlin_MacRae
03-15-2011, 08:22 AM
I was there too! My wife and I sat at the front row right hand side...I thought the class had some useful information. Why is it going to be possisbly Merl's last class?

And it was great to meet you! I always try to wear a Brethren shirt because there are so many of us it's like a business card. :) Matter of fact, I hadn't even met Merl up to that point, but it didn't take long. :)

I'll send you a PM on the last class issue.

Arlin

Big George's BBQ
03-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Congrats I took a class a few years ago May take a refresher

Bigdog
03-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Congrats. Now you have to promise us that you won't end up like these 2 losers.:drama::tsk::heh: 50964

Arlin_MacRae
03-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Looks kinda like Rookie Dave! :laugh:

But I think that's the Fragile Flower, no?

ModelMaker
03-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Just what exactly indicates loser to you about that pic?
Ed

Congrats. Now you have to promise us that you won't end up like these 2 losers.:drama::tsk::heh: 50964

ModelMaker
03-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Still looking for an answer.
Ed

Bigdog
03-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Still looking for an answer.
Ed

PM sent

Bigdog
03-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Looks kinda like Rookie Dave! :laugh:

But I think that's the Fragile Flower, no?

Dave after loosing a bunch of weight maybe.:tape:

And yes, you are correct sir, what does he win?:becky:

Rookie'48
03-15-2011, 11:47 PM
I think the requirement to cook with a team before getting your master's certificate is very smart on the society's part. Arlin

What I'd really like to see is a requirement that you cook with a team before you judge your, say, tenth contest. It'll never happen, though :rolleyes:.

Dave after loosing a bunch of weight maybe.:tape:

Hey!!! I'm watching my weight :shock:.

Now that I've got it out there where I can watch it :doh:.

Arlin_MacRae
03-16-2011, 09:45 AM
What I'd really like to see is a requirement that you cook with a team before you judge your, say, tenth contest. It'll never happen, though :rolleyes:.

I had a similar thought while sitting in class Saturday, Dave. Under current guidelines you can judge 30 contests without ever having seasoned a rib. I'd think everyone would benefit if you got your hands dirty earlier on in the process.

Hey!!! I'm watching my weight :shock:.

Now that I've got it out there where I can watch it :doh:.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Rookie'48
03-17-2011, 12:10 AM
And if you don't go for your Master CBJ you never have to cook with a team :crazy:.

Arlin_MacRae
03-17-2011, 11:20 AM
I'd never thought of that, Dave. Good point. I'm sure you'll bring those up at the Board meeting after you take office. :becky:

Chenernator
03-17-2011, 11:43 AM

Amen to that. I'm always amazed by the number of people who judge that don't even cook at home, let alone in a comp.

I'm cooking with a team Memorial Day weekend, and I can't wait.

spfranz
03-17-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm looking forward to CBJ class here in Minnesota in a couple of weeks. Mike is teaching the class here. It's tough cooking for competitions when you don't know exactly what the judges are looking for. I got a 6? Really? What the ...

VGuilford
03-17-2011, 11:56 PM
You guys goin to judge Grand lake in May?

Arlin_MacRae
03-18-2011, 10:08 AM
You guys goin to judge Grand lake in May?

That's one that's on the list, yeah. We're going to finalize the list this weekend and send out some e-mails.

JD McGee
03-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Congrats Arlin...Rhana and I are taking our first judging class in May...been competing for a few years now...guess it's time to get to know my enemies a little better! :twisted:

Arlin_MacRae
03-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks, JD! Having spent time PBing for Smoke on Wheels we know about some of the blood, sweat, and stress that go into those turn-in boxes. That and Merl's stressed importance on not farking over the teams should serve us well in the judge's tent.

Arlin_MacRae
03-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Woo-hoo! We got out first comp lined up!
Our first competition will be the Smokin Red Dirt BBQ in Enid on April 16th.

I don't see it announced here on the site this year, though??

Arlin