PDA

View Full Version : KCBS Board

motoeric
03-09-2011, 02:01 PM
I read somewhere else that Tana Schupe made motion that someone be asked to resign from the BoD for conduct unbecoming.

Does anyone else have any info on that?

Thanks,

Eric

Smoke'n Ice
03-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Now that she and Candy are in charge, more Merl Bashing and power grab.

ps
you forgot to mention Candy's motion to strip him of all KCBS involvment to include reping if I read it correctly

bbally
03-09-2011, 02:25 PM
From the board agenda for todays meeting

Motion by Tana Shupe to submit names of committee members to the board.

Motion by Tana Shupe to ask for the resignation of a current board member for actions unbecoming a member of this board.

Proposed motion by Candy Weaver after conclusion of Closed Session: *Motion:* I move that all assignments this board member has been given to represent the Kansas City Barbeque Society in any capacity be cancelled immediately.

As to have an open policy with membership, I motion that all closed sections must have an agenda read before a closed section of the BOD is to take place and that no matter may be discussed in closed section which is not on the agenda.

ThomEmery
03-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Yea Man going to be a fun year
:(

Jorge
03-09-2011, 02:54 PM
like meat through the grinder, these are the days of our lives......

Jeff Hughes
03-09-2011, 03:55 PM
They are trying to get Merl to resign, and they want to fire him from being a rep and cbj instructor...

They can't fire him from the board, so they are going after him in other ways...

Scottie
03-09-2011, 04:16 PM
I have a lot of friends on the BOD. I am not taking sides on any of this for obvious reasons that I do not want to put my standing with my foundation in the wrong light.

But I just wish this would all just quit. I do not know how this benefits BBQ and the way of life that we are to stand by with the KCBS Mission. This divide will never get any better if we keep pulling out the biggest knife. So I sure hope my friends don't take this as a position either way, other than to just leave it all alone and concentrate on how we can make BBQ and our Society better.

motoeric
03-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the clarifications. After what they did to Linda and Jerry I don't pay much attention to the KCBS anymore and I had no information other than what I posted at the top of the thread.

Is the surmising that they are going after Merl an assumption based on the past or is that based on personal knowledge of the situation?

Thanks,

Eric

Smoke'n Ice
03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
FACTS in evidence. If you check out the committee assignments, all bod members except Merl and Candy have two each. Merl has none and Candy, as President, does not have any. Petty things by people with small minds. They do tend to be vindictive as witnessed by the mentioned other board member who was thought to be on Merl's side.

HoDeDo
03-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Yawn.... SSDD. On a brighter note, 4/1 is Smokin' on Big Creek!!!!! Let the Que commence!

Jeff Hughes
03-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Is the surmising that they are going after Merl an assumption based on the past or is that based on personal knowledge of the situation?

Thanks,

Eric

Personal knowledge, I spoke to Merl today.

Just to be clear, I disagree with Merl regarding many issues, but this rep and instructor deal is chicken chit.

CivilWarBBQ
03-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Hypothetical situation: If proof were presented documenting a Board Member making personal threats against a Rep would you consider that "conduct unbecoming" and grounds for dismissal?

motoeric
03-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Hypothetical situation: If proof were presented documenting a Board Member making personal threats against a Rep would you consider that "conduct unbecoming" and grounds for dismissal?

What, to you, constitutes a threat? Can you offer a hypothetical example?

Eric

CivilWarBBQ
03-09-2011, 11:58 PM
A hypothetical attorney advised me to shut my hypothetical mouth. :tape:

so.... How 'bout them Dawgs?

Diva
03-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the clarifications. After what they did to Linda and Jerry I don't pay much attention to the KCBS anymore and I had no information other than what I posted at the top of the thread.

Thanks,

Eric

'They' didn't do anything to the Mullanes. The Mullanes received a UNANIMOUS vote from the Board (INCLUDING the members of the BOD clique she belonged to) to allow her to voluntarily resign.

Jeff_in_KC
03-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Eric, for someone who doesn't pay any attention to KCBS, you sure are opinionated about it.

Bigmista
03-10-2011, 03:43 AM
What's a BOD?

ThomEmery
03-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Anyone listen in?

Bigdog
03-10-2011, 08:47 AM
What's a BOD?

Bunch of Dummies. (this message has been sanitized for your protection) :heh:

Q-Dat
03-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Can someone point me to a source that will tell me about the issue that everyone is talking about here?

I'm, new to all of this. I hear people speak about bickering between board members, but every time I hear a reference made to it, it seems to be made with the assumption that everyone knows what is going on already. I would just like to know some details, and maybe some history as to what has led to the current hostile situation that is apparently the case up there in Kansas City.

Thanks from a new guy down in Bayou country.

ique
03-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Personal knowledge, I spoke to Merl today.

Just to be clear, I disagree with Merl regarding many issues, but this rep and instructor deal is chicken chit.

Now Jeff, I'm sure you got a completely unbiased take on the situation from Merl.

Yes this could be more pointless board drama, or on the other hand maybe there is a really good reason. Kind of hard to reach any conclusion without all the facts.

bbqbull
03-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Can someone point me to a source that will tell me about the issue that everyone is talking about here?

I'm, new to all of this. I hear people speak about bickering between board members, but every time I hear a reference made to it, it seems to be made with the assumption that everyone knows what is going on already. I would just like to know some details, and maybe some history as to what has led to the current hostile situation that is apparently the case up there in Kansas City.

Thanks from a new guy down in Bayou country.

Here are the minutes on the KCBS site.

http://www.kcbs.us/news.php?id=335

ThomEmery
03-10-2011, 09:31 AM
QDat it's a long running soap opera with lot's of players
While rating are strong even up in many areas
some of the characters have grown old and some story lines are stale
It is a acquired taste If you are smart you won't take that first puff

Q-Dat
03-10-2011, 09:44 AM
It is a acquired taste If you are smart you won't take that first puff

Sounds like there needs to be some house cleaning done.

ThomEmery
03-10-2011, 09:52 AM
The problem is both "sides" are good folks
who love BBQ, it has just gotten way off course

I am told there will be no new developments
for a few days Just needs some time.

Jeff Hughes
03-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Now Jeff, I'm sure you got a completely unbiased take on the situation from Merl.

Yes this could be more pointless board drama, or on the other hand maybe there is a really good reason. Kind of hard to reach any conclusion without all the facts.

I in no way think Merl is an innocent. He likes to stir chit for sure. He's made mistakes in my eyes, and I have told him so.

I think Merl's days as an effective board member are long gone. I think that his side of the story is just that, his side. I look forward to the day the board moves forward for the benefit of all of us.

I still think the rep and cbj deal is chicken chit.

drbbq
03-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I think Merl's days as an effective board member are long gone.

I sort of agree with this but in part it's because he's been blackballed. Tana was caught red handed on the Louisiana thing but her friends protected her and now she's retaliating.

ModelMaker
03-10-2011, 10:54 AM

"It is a acquired taste If you are smart you won't take that first puff"

The most appropriate quote I have ever seen!!
Ed

BBQchef33
03-10-2011, 11:38 AM
My 2 cents

:drama::bored:

monty3777
03-10-2011, 11:43 AM
The problem is both "sides" are good folks
who love BBQ, it has just gotten way off course

Another example of why you should have been elected. Please run again!!!!

Jorge
03-10-2011, 12:03 PM

Why do you dislike Thom?:-P I wouldn't wish a three year term on anyone at this point.

I've heard both sides of this particular issue, and it's just more of the same. It takes two sides for a feud to live on. When the BoD can actually function without drama and focus solely on what will benefit KCBS and the membership I might start to care again.

carlyle
03-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Q Dat- That is to me the problem with KCBS. No one knows the whole story.

Too much happens behind closed doors. Then what leaks out is slanted toward one side or the other - depending on the perspective of who is doing the leaking.

I do not like this bickering. Is it too much to ask to get things settled and move on?

What happened to everyone being civil with each other?
Thom, you would have helped with that.

YankeeBBQ
03-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Why do you dislike Thom?:-P I wouldn't wish a three year term on anyone at this point.

I've heard both sides of this particular issue, and it's just more of the same. It takes two sides for a feud to live on. When the BoD can actually function without drama and focus solely on what will benefit KCBS and the membership I might start to care again.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:El Jefe 2012:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

:thumb:

Scottie
03-10-2011, 12:32 PM

Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like!!!!!! :becky:

crd26a
03-10-2011, 12:32 PM
When the BoD can actually function without drama and focus solely on what will benefit KCBS and the membership I might start to care again.

What's scarier in the agenda, and is getting no coverage, is the fact they're disbanding the strategic goals b/c no one is tracking accomplishments / pushing the goals for the organization. This is unacceptable and points to the fact the organization needs a dedicated leader / leadership and should lose its not-for-profit status to drive the business.

Jorge
03-10-2011, 12:34 PM

I hope Steph kicks you in the junk for me.

Jorge
03-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like!!!!!! :becky:

I'll kick you in the junk myself, when I see you.

Scottie
03-10-2011, 12:41 PM
I'll kick you in the junk myself, when I see you.

Damn, I was told you don't hang here anymore... :thumb:

Steph might be meaner...

Big Poppa
03-10-2011, 12:51 PM
I dont know what is more entertaining the comp sect here or the BOD.....

Muzzlebrake
03-10-2011, 12:54 PM
HA- rumpf!!

Scottie
03-10-2011, 01:15 PM
My girls wear it every where!!! It goes real well with that burnt orange t-shirts that they have...

:becky::becky::becky:

HA- rumpf!!

ThomEmery
03-10-2011, 02:32 PM
We shall see......
The next annual meeting is in San Diego

Jorge
03-10-2011, 03:01 PM
We shall see......
The next annual meeting is in San Diego

Get rid of that camel toe Elvis avatar and we can talk. I can't support anyone sporting that attrocity by choice!:shock:

ThomEmery
03-10-2011, 04:22 PM
LOL It is the sickest avatar ever !!!!

Ok Disneyland with Kathy and Jake

Muzzlebrake
03-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Get rid of that camel toe Elvis avatar and we can talk. I can't support anyone sporting that attrocity by choice!:shock:

if you can make that happen I think that would be one more sign of how your unique skills and talents KCBS BoD:becky:

In all seriousness make him change that thing and I'll stop posting pics of that button (at least for a while):thumb:
:becky:

ThomEmery
03-10-2011, 06:07 PM
if you can make that happen I think that would be one more sign of how your unique skills and talents KCBS BoD:becky:

In all seriousness make him change that thing and I'll stop posting pics of that button (at least for a while):thumb:
:becky:

LOL it will be BACK you can bet

I never understand why he seems relaxed
The bind would drive me crazy

LindaM
03-10-2011, 06:50 PM
'They' didn't do anything to the Mullanes. The Mullanes received a UNANIMOUS vote from the Board (INCLUDING the members of the BOD clique she belonged to) to allow her to voluntarily resign.

Just to set the record straight, I resigned from the board and appealed the dismissal as a rep and CBJ instructor. Never even received official notification on the appeal. Jerry got caught in the middle of the entire thing. I guess maybe Carol will as well in Merl's case.

bbqfun
03-10-2011, 06:53 PM
I didn't realize before I saw the enlarged pic....that is Thom before his weight loss!!

ThomEmery
03-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Hummmm Naw that feller is one of a kind

Smoke'n Ice
03-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Thom, if those are balls, where is the rest of your equipment?

Jeff_in_KC
03-10-2011, 11:33 PM
I sort of agree with this but in part it's because he's been blackballed. Tana was caught red handed on the Louisiana thing but her friends protected her and now she's retaliating.

Retaliation might be inappropriate if it weren't for the fact that the issue at hand is so appropriate to address. It really doesn't matter WHO made the motion - the motion needed to be made.

Crash
03-11-2011, 03:56 AM
One of the funniest things I have read on here in a long time. Totally agree!

ThomEmery
03-11-2011, 08:56 AM
One of the funniest things I have read on here in a long time. Totally agree!
You inspired me

Scottie
03-11-2011, 09:26 AM
I am not sure what is worse. Conduct that is not appropriate with a phone call... or back door deals. That comment is not addressed at any one board member either. Now the history of the KCBS is ripe with back door deals. We the members are getting cheated. No two ways about it. I just wish folks would be so up in arms about the back door deals. to me, those are worse....

Retaliation might be inappropriate if it weren't for the fact that the issue at hand is so appropriate to address. It really doesn't matter WHO made the motion - the motion needed to be made.

DawgPhan
03-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I am not sure what is worse. Conduct that is not appropriate with a plhone call... or back door deals. That is not addressed at any one board member. Now the history of the KCBS is ripe with back door deals. We the members are getting g cheated. No two ways about it. I just wish folksvwould bbso up inbarms about the back door deals. Vlto me, those are worse....

someone is posting from their iphone...

G$
03-11-2011, 10:02 AM
I am not sure what is worse. Conduct that is not appropriate with a plhone call... or back door deals. That is not addressed at any one board member. Now the history of the KCBS is ripe with back door deals. We the members are getting g cheated. No two ways about it. I just wish folksvwould bbso up inbarms about the back door deals. Vlto me, those are worse....

Scottie, do you understand the the VAST majority of KCBS members have no idea what the "back door deals" are that you are referrign to? Or what "inapproipriate phone calls" are?

I am not trying to be argumentative (because I agree with you in principle), but people just don't know what is happening, and the only glimpses they get are message board innuendo, not any tangible facts.

And it just keeps turning...

ThomEmery
03-11-2011, 10:30 AM
My bet is If both "sides" can act like adults this can be resolved by the next BoD meeting

Mrs. McFrankenboo
03-11-2011, 10:48 AM
My bet is If both "sides" can act like adults this can be resolved by the next BoD meeting

I don't think it's the sides you need to worry about, it's them acting like ADULTS!

drbbq
03-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Scottie, do you understand the the VAST majority of KCBS members have no idea what the "back door deals" are that you are referrign to? Or what "inapproipriate phone calls" are?

I am not trying to be argumentative (because I agree with you in principle), but people just don't know what is happening, and the only glimpses they get are message board innuendo, not any tangible facts.

And it just keeps turning...

That's the problem in a nutshell.

The Executive Director NEVER speaks publicly.

The President has rarely spoken publicly although Candy did do Rempe's show so maybe that will get better.

The minutes are always vague and probably scrubbed and Old Business just dissapears without mention on a regular basis.

Then there's the Executive Session that they use to hide whatever they choose anyway.

ique
03-11-2011, 12:04 PM
That's the problem in a nutshell.

The Executive Director NEVER speaks publicly.

The President has rarely spoken publicly although Candy did do Rempe's show so maybe that will get better.

The minutes are always vague and probably scrubbed and Old Business just dissapears without mention on a regular basis.

Then there's the Executive Session that they use to hide whatever they choose anyway.

Its also seems that some people are in the know and are keeping it to themselves. For instance, what is the "Louisiana thing"?

Jeff Hughes
03-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Its also seems that some people are in the know and are keeping it to themselves. For instance, what is the "Louisiana thing"?

EDIT--Scottie explained it better than I did...

Scottie
03-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Portions (that didn't go to Executive sessions) were discussed on the MP3. There were some problems with the New Orleans contest/trade show. My understanding is Tana was the incharge person. Some things were done with out the Board getting notice. Big fight about what should be disclosed to other board members...

Bentley
03-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Bingo...Must be in the front row...

Why would you want transparancy...

Q-Dat
03-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Is that the reason the New Orleans event was cancelled? I had heard through the grapevine that it was cancelled due to the effect the oil spill had on the seafood market. It was going to be a combined Seafood/BBQ event.

But now I wonder if it was some other reason.

drbbq
03-11-2011, 09:12 PM
I think it was canceled because the guys who were supposed to line up the vendors pulled out but KCBS was committed as a $$ sponsor so nobody wanted to tell them. A board member was looking at a payday so she decided not to tell the board and there were emails saying so. But as is typical she was let off the hook because she's a good old girl and now she's firing away at the board member who shall not be named.

ModelMaker
03-11-2011, 09:23 PM
OOOOOH, I just love a good pyssin match.
Ed

rolfejr
03-12-2011, 08:57 PM
As a person who sat on the board and ran up the chain of offices at a yacht club, I learned two valuable lessons about volunteering to help an organization.

1. When little people, with little common sense, get a taste of a little power - Watch out for a lot of problems!

2. No good deed goes unpunished!

Rolling Smoke
03-13-2011, 07:29 AM
I am not sure what is worse. Conduct that is not appropriate with a phone call... or back door deals. That comment is not addressed at any one board member either. Now the history of the KCBS is ripe with back door deals. We the members are getting cheated. No two ways about it. I just wish folks would be so up in arms about the back door deals. to me, those are worse....

Good point Scottie. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of back door deal prompted the action that was taken against Kettering last year.

bbally
03-13-2011, 09:27 AM
As a person who sat on the board and ran up the chain of offices at a yacht club, I learned two valuable lessons about volunteering to help an organization.

1. When little people, with little common sense, get a taste of a little power - Watch out for a lot of problems!

2. No good deed goes unpunished!

I have found this to be so true!!!!!

I had 16 years with Thermo Electron many as a division president; In my non-profit volunteering could not believe how a little responsibility given to people not used to it would manifested itself as a power trip within a couple months.

Scottie
03-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Good point Scottie. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of back door deal prompted the action that was taken against Kettering last year.

My guess..... STUPIDITY! !

bdodd444
03-15-2011, 01:27 PM
You know things are bad when an organization's marketing guy goes on the radio and doesn't refute the notion that the BOD is broken. Like most members, I just want to cook and have no idea what is really going on.

Sawdustguy
03-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Being very honest, why would anyone want to be a member of an organization with a board of directors that is riddled with back door deals and dissention? MBN is starting to look better all the time. I think we will sign up for the contest in Vermont. I sure hope Phil or NEBS steps up and starts fully sanctioning contests.

carlyle
03-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Rather than abandon KCBS, I think we should stay persistent about trying to make it better.

This forum is doing it's part by turning over rocks and exposing what is underneath.

All of us who care need to continue to press for more openness with KCBS and for being civil with whatever disagreements there happen to be.

I know that I have somewhat better idea of what is going on in KCBS by reading what is on the Brethren to put together with the Bullsheet.

It takes strength to acknowledge your weaknesses and problems. KCBS needs ongoing support by members who are also critical and who are vocal with that criticism to help build that strength. Not just to tear down the organization.

IMHO.