PDA

View Full Version : Skinless Chicken

Q-Dat
03-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Anybody doing it for comps? I met a guy who does pretty consistent with it. Its funny how we pull the membrane off of ribs because it has a texture that most people don't like, but we put countless hours of work into perfecting chicken skin. I guess because if you do perfect it, it tastes good.

bbqbull
03-09-2011, 08:17 AM
We still leave the skin on our chicken, still trying to perfect the perfect bite through skin.

cbagby64
03-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Skin on for us. We found that the skin helps with moisture.

wormdrink67
03-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Skin on....scraped, paper thin.

AZScott
03-09-2011, 10:59 AM
We accidentally did skinless at one comp and it was the worst scoring chicken we have ever had. The tenderness scored averaged 6.3 with the lowest being a 3. Never, ever again.

Rich Parker
03-09-2011, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't compare chicken skin to the membrane on a rib because the membrane could never taste good. If you have awesome tasting chicken i think you will be scored just as good. You are losing a lot of flavor from that skin that would be hard to replace.

HOG WILD BBQ
03-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Skin on....scraped, paper thin.
THATS THE ONLY WAY TO DO IT:dancer:

trueque
03-09-2011, 03:47 PM
I went skinless all last season, cooked with it on and then tossed it just before saucing. Scored in top 10 a couple of times and all over the board the rest of the time. I am going with skin on and bite through this year.

Q-Dat
03-09-2011, 11:15 PM
I have no intention of cooking skin off myself. We have our bite through technique down.(no scraping involved)

I was just curious since I met the one guy who does it.

Hub
03-10-2011, 06:28 AM
I've only seen skinless a handful of times in my judging experience. It is "on" the vast majority of the time and is either "bite-through" or crisped. I find this interesting since there's no requirement either to (1) cook with it on, or to (2) produce "bite through" skin. The only requirement judges have is to taste the skin if it is part of the presentation.

There are several ways to produce "bite-through" skin and they must be pretty well known because I seldom get any that isn't. It usually tastes good, too unless over-smoked and/or over-sauced.

bbq.tom
03-10-2011, 12:04 PM
I've only seen skinless a handful of times in my judging experience. It is "on" the vast majority of the time and is either "bite-through" or crisped...

There are several ways to produce "bite-through" skin and they must be pretty well known because I seldom get any that isn't.

Must be nice - I find most of the "skin-on" chicken that I judge to NOT have very good skin - usually not very good "bite-through". I won't judge down for no skin, but I will judge down for a poor bite-through.

Smokenstein & monster crew
03-10-2011, 03:35 PM
I have tried both....Took 2nd place with a skinless chicken.
Its all about the tenderness and taste,
I have not perfected the crispy skin...so who knows