PDA

View Full Version : Best Chicken Cooker

roksmith
03-09-2011, 07:10 AM
While I have no problem turning out what I consider good quality Ribs, Pork, and Brisket.. I have yet to come up with Chicken that I would consider a good consistent product.
I know some can get fantastic results on pretty much any cooker, I'm looking to make my life easier.
I've built my 2 smokers that I currently use, and am considering building a chicken cooker, but am not sure exactly what I'm looking to achieve.

If some of you wouldn't mind sharing what you prefer to cook chicken on and why, I would greatly appreciate it.

WhiskeyBentBBQ
03-09-2011, 07:46 AM
We have found the our Green Mountain Grills pellet cookers do a great job with chicken. We like the ability to jump the temperatures up and down quickly and the results have been great for us. The investment is also very economical too.

Good luck on your search.

The Pickled Pig
03-09-2011, 09:06 AM
The UDS is a good chicken cooker.

AZScott
03-09-2011, 09:08 AM
A chicken cooker? I hate chicken but a dedicated chicken cooker isn't going to help with consistency is it? There are more methods to chicken than any other category. I would hold off spending the time and money with a single purpose cooker until you know what you are looking to achieve.

roksmith
03-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Yea.. that's what I'm trying to do here.. determine what I'm looking for in a chicken cooker.
I like cooking my other meats in a slightly moist 225 degree environment, and that doesn't seem to be good for my chicken..
I figure what I'm looking for is a dryer/hotter environment for chix and that can't happen in my main cooker while I'm cooking lower and moister for ribs.

roksmith
03-09-2011, 09:31 AM
The UDS is a good chicken cooker.

I like the idea of building a UDS anyways.. so I may play with that idea.. I think we have a local supplier of good barrels..
I get some satisfaction out of cooking on something I've built rather than bought as well :)

JD McGee
03-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Anything you can get up to 300 degrees...

3 Rivers BBQ
03-09-2011, 09:58 AM
We have found the our Green Mountain Grills pellet cookers do a great job with chicken. We like the ability to jump the temperatures up and down quickly and the results have been great for us. The investment is also very economical too.

Good luck on your search.

I like what I see for the GMG, but are those legel in competition?

WhiskeyBentBBQ
03-09-2011, 10:07 AM
I like what I see for the GMG, but are those legel in competition?

Absolutely. We have cooked KCBS and FBA exclusively on them for about 25 contests over the last year and have had great results. Great company and top notch customer service!

vexter1
03-09-2011, 10:40 AM
I know of a couple of teams who have had good success with the one from Meadow Creek.

My team has had good practice cooks this year with a 22" WSM FWIW.

monty3777
03-09-2011, 10:47 AM
I like the small WSM. It allows me to access the chicken and then get back to cooking temps quickly.

roksmith
03-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the advice folks.. along the lines I thought I might hear... Got another couple of months before I compete this year.. hopefully I'll get something worked out :)

Rich Parker
03-09-2011, 11:22 AM
I am with monty the small wsm makes for good chicken cookers because you can get them really hot with minor modifications.

A small 15 gallon drum would be good too.

The Virginian
03-09-2011, 11:25 AM
If you have a place on the trailer carrying your home-made smokers, consider adding a large big green egg. Fantastic chicken cooker, and very versatile.

Brett

glenntm
03-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Backwoods Chubby is our cooker of choice for cooking chicken. Does a great job.

thillin
03-09-2011, 12:43 PM
If you have a place on the trailer carrying your home-made smokers, consider adding a large big green egg. Fantastic chicken cooker, and very versatile.

Brett

Thanks what I use!:thumb:

goodbuddiesbbq
03-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I have to second that GMG Green Mountain Grill. Not that it is superior to any other pellet smoker, but the cost is a lot better than most and the service is second to none. I have the CEO's number for any questions or concerns. With that being said, you can run real hot and not run as much of a risk of "burning" as other cookers.

With that being said other great uses...if you are ever chasing your tail you can really crank out:
+ pork butts that need to "hurry"
+ briskets that need to plow through a "plateau"
+ burnt ends at a higher temp
+ quick sauce warmer

Just a little more info...and I'm in your neck of the woods and cook your event.

ammoore
03-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Backwoods Chubby is our cooker of choice for cooking chicken. Does a great job.

Same here, the Chubby is a dandy little chicken and rib cooker.

"Little" is the problem for some....but it recovers temps quickly and produces a fine product.

glenntm
03-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Same here, the Chubby is a dandy little chicken and rib cooker.

"Little" is the problem for some....but it recovers temps quickly and produces a fine product.

Agreed...Plus it can reach those ideal chicken cooking temperatures easily.

Bigmista
03-09-2011, 02:14 PM
I understand lots of folks use Weber Kettles.

roksmith
03-09-2011, 02:19 PM
I thought about a weber kettle with a pizza stone between the charcoal and the grates to prevent flame ups.. cheap solution too if it works.

Dale P
03-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Kettles work great and so does a Spicewine.

Jeff Hughes
03-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Anything you can get up to 300 degrees...

Yep, and 325 is even better...

Alexa RnQ
03-09-2011, 06:37 PM
The best chicken cooker is the one that signs the entry form.

Seriously, although we use a WSM for our chicken, we've seen winning chicken turned in from a number of different cookers, everything from Jambos down to a Weber kettle with a rotisserie.

JD McGee
03-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Yep, and 325 is even better...

:thumb:

The best chicken cooker is the one that signs the entry form.

:thumb:

Seriously, although we use a WSM for our chicken, we've seen winning chicken turned in from a number of different cookers, everything from Jambos down to a Weber kettle with a rotisserie.

I use a WSM as well...I really like my BGE but it's too damned heavy to tote to comps...:becky:

thillin
03-09-2011, 09:43 PM
I really like my BGE but it's too damned heavy to tote to comps...:becky:

I just roll it into the trailer and strap it to the wall. We started out using 3 and loading them in and out of a truck. Talk about being beat and breaking down the site, lift 3 eggs out of nests into the back of a truck.:crazy:

Hub
03-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Before going to the trouble and expense of a separate cooker, consider your method. Chicken (thighs) is pretty forgiving but soaks up smoke, rub, and sauce like a sponge. Thus, approach it differently based on its tendencies. The cooks I've talked to that take frequent walks for their chicken treat it very delicately and, particularly, they don't over-spice or over-smoke it.

roksmith
03-10-2011, 06:42 AM
I am actually working on a new method as well which may remove the requirement for a new cooker.

trueque
03-10-2011, 08:34 AM
WSM's and Backwoods Fatboy work well for me. Practice, practice, practice is the key.

Sawdustguy
03-10-2011, 01:40 PM
There is a delicatessen close by that always has dynamite bbq'ed chicken and it always has tender bite through skin. I asked the guy in the Deli how he did it and he kind of gave me a funny look and said, "I have no clue". He said, "I season the chicken with a rub, and put it in a rotissere, when done, I sauce it and sell it". I wonder if anyone else has had any success cooking their competition chicken using a rotissere. I could have sworn I saw a video of Byron Chism using a Cajun Grill with rotissere to cook his chicken at a competition and he said it worked great.

roksmith
03-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Bite thru skin has never really been the issue for us.. that is the easy part. There are any number of was to stop the skin from being rubbery.. some more labor intensive than others. Our issue has always (I believe) been getting the right amount of flavor and most especially the texture of the chicken.

Brewer
03-10-2011, 11:51 PM
I just roll it into the trailer and strap it to the wall. We started out using 3 and loading them in and out of a truck. Talk about being beat and breaking down the site, lift 3 eggs out of nests into the back of a truck.:crazy:

Yup - that's what I plan to do with my Primo XL this year.

cbagby64
03-11-2011, 01:34 PM
WSM is our favorite for chicken.