PDA

View Full Version : Only 2 days in Memphis

NBBD
03-07-2011, 05:03 PM
quick trip to Memphis Sunday Night to Wednesday Morning... I will have Monday and Tuesday to fit in as Much BBQ and sights as possible... But where to begin with such a tight timeframe? My wife will be working so I have free range and vehicle from 7am-abt 5pm.

We are driving down from PA... swing down to decatur for lunch on Sunday.

With such limited time should I stuff my self silly in one or two places, Or sample smaller bits at a lot of places... not sure when I will manage to get back

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-07-2011, 06:29 PM
I would work in Central BBQ (Mid Town) and Cozy Corner in there some place.

Sounds like a fun trip.

gtr
03-07-2011, 06:47 PM
+1 on Central BBQ. Apparently there's a fried chicken place (can't remember the name right now but will work on that) that is not to be missed.

Dallas Dan
03-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Rendezvous' dry rub ribs are a must. Rendezvous is located downtown accessed from an alley near the Peabody Hotel. The atmosphere in the building basement is great too...notice the chard wood beams.

Note, they are closed Mondays. I found that out by accident when I planned a business trip to Memphis with plans to take my client there on a Monday evening. :redface:

1MoreFord
03-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Rendezvous is a place that folks either love or hate. Some folks have been known to call it a tourist trap. Never the less, if you're in Memphis and can eat there you should just so you can have your own opinion of it.

I believe the Fried chicken place gtr is thinking about is Gus's. I can't comment on it since it's still on my to do list.

I'll second (or is it third now:becky:) the vote for Central.

Bigdog
03-08-2011, 07:13 AM
4 things ya gotta do:

1) Try a pulled pork sammy with slaw. Sounds funky but rocks. I got mine at the airport, gate B-17. I believe it's run by Interstate BBQ.

2) Spend some evening on Beal Street and listen to some good Blues.

3) Visit the motel where MLK was shot.

4) You guessed it, go to Graceland. Tacky: check, over priced: check, strange: check, one-of-a-kind: check, tourist trap: check...I could go on but just go. You'll be glad you did.

---k---
03-08-2011, 11:57 AM
I visited Memphis for a day trip a few months back. I contacted a local Brethren there for recommendations. This is what I got:

Originally Posted by deguerre

Hi Ryan!
Try the Bar B-Q Shop on Madison Ave
1782 Madison Avenue, Memphis - (901) 272-1277
Or Central BBQ
2249 Central Avenue - (901) 272-9377
Have fun while you're here!
Guerry

I had a pork sandwich at Top's for lunch, which is a local favorite dive. I wasn't too impressed, but am told that Top's is more a burger place.

I then tried Bar B-Q Shop for dinner. It is a cozy joint in the middle of a neighborhood. It didn't feel like a BBQ joint, but I really liked the atmosphere. More like a brew pub. I got the ribs and pulled pork combo. I wasn't impressed with the pulled pork, but the ribs were fantastic. They give you a 1/2 rack of spares, which is impressive for a cobo. I really really enjoyed them. Very meaty spares, very tender and juicy. They will serve them up either wet or dry, I asked for and got both. Skip the sauce or put it on the side. But the dry rub was great flavor and then after they come out of the smoker they sprinkle them with more rub and the flavor just pops. I wish that I had got a full rack. They made a deep impression on me. I bought a bottle of rub and my goal is get my ribs to taste as good as theirs.

I would like to try the other places in Memphis. So many to choose from. But I definitely want to go back the Bar B-Q Shop.

Dallas Dan
03-08-2011, 06:25 PM
4 things ya gotta do:

1) Try a pulled pork sammy with slaw. Sounds funky but rocks. I got mine at the airport, gate B-17. I believe it's run by Interstate BBQ.

2) Spend some evening on Beal Street and listen to some good Blues.

3) Visit the motel where MLK was shot.

4) You guessed it, go to Graceland. Tacky: check, over priced: check, strange: check, one-of-a-kind: check, tourist trap: check...I could go on but just go. You'll be glad you did.

Agree. I've done Graceland twice. The first time was quick as I was rushed to catch a flight (and I didn't expect there to be so much to see). The second time I spent several hours taking it all in. I'd do it again too.

---k---
03-08-2011, 07:54 PM
I must be too young to appreciate Graceland.

crimsongator
03-08-2011, 08:18 PM
The fried chicken place is Gus' fried chicken. There is a convenient place in Bartlett.

NBBD
03-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks for all the help!

I wish I had more time-- but the suggestions really are helping me narrow down and plan/group things. using google mymaps.

Graceland and the Peabody were penciled in. Rendezvous since proximity to Peabody and I had heard you either love it or hate it so you have to try it yourself.

Very glad that Bigdog mentioned the Lorraine Motel. It did not even enter my initial thoughts-- Do you suggest doing the whole museum or just see the building itself.

Time wise: How much time can you get through Graceland? I appreciate Elvis's place in history and some of the music but that's it.
Time for doing the civil right museum?

Beale St. : Any bar/club to hit... or avoid. This is where my wife and I plan to go after she is finished work for the day.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I will let everyone know the stops after the trip.

frognot
03-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Here's a great Memphis thread from last year.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89855&highlight=diva+memphis

i mention DivaQ's blog in post # 18. It's an excellent review.

NBBD
03-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Is the divaq.ca site down or changed?

I know the review you refered to and thought I had found it before from your posting... But can't get back to it this am at all.

billm
03-10-2011, 08:05 AM
out of all the places we went to last year I think I liked germantown commisary the best..Heard good things about Cozy Corner and regret not taking the trip there

NeoTrout
03-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Graceland can take some time. If it's musical history you want check out Sun Records. :cool:

billm
03-10-2011, 09:11 AM
. If it's musical history you want check out Sun Records. :cool:
agreed!

NBBD
03-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the Sunstudio tip that does seem more interesting and significant for me. Our hotel is close to the commissary than downtown so Ill make sure to pop in there... maybe when we get in on Sunday evening.

Thanks to all the great input the Trip planning is falling together. Evenings on beale... that seems to be the one missing part. Since its not a weekend any suggested house band to check out. ?

Dallas Dan
03-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Time wise: How much time can you get through Graceland? I appreciate Elvis's place in history and some of the music but that's it.

When I was a kid, I had two opportunities to see Elvis live in concert and I was like "no way!". lol

And now, after touring Graceland as an adult, I gained a great appreciation for his life and his music. I recommend allowing at least one-two hours as there is a LOT to read and take in.

NBBD
03-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Just arrived in Knoxville for the evening. 10 hours on the road with 9 of it spent on 81s. Nice drive but still long.

Time to settle in to a nice Gin and Tonic, watch a little flyers hockey and get some sleep. Tomorrow the real fun starts a few hours to Decatur Al, -Big Bob Gibsons for lunch and on to Memphis.

NBBD
03-13-2011, 04:25 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/cryan1980/2011MemphisRoadtrip/20110313_0085-1.jpg (http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/cryan1980/2011MemphisRoadtrip/20110313_0085-1.jpg)

Had a nice Lunch at BBG today. Sample plate of Chicken and Ribs, Beans, Slaw and Potato Salad. Worth the experience and the drive since we are here. Sadly the Breast meat of the Chicken was WAY dry... but kind of expected that.

Lots of interesting sights driving from Decatur to Memphis. Being from PA im used to seeing lots of roadkill deer but Wow... Ive never seen somany coyote. (RK) More pics and updates to come.Just pulled in so we are not sure what dinner will be.

So do many Hotels down here copy the Peabody with the Ducks?... Our hotel has wood ducks swimming around inside and some massive koi.

NBBD
03-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Once we arrived last night we were both exhausted. My wife was craving greens and hush puppies... Now when we have been in NC you could usually find both with BBQ but it seems not true here... It was not on the list to try but Corky's was real close, had hushpuppies for her and drive through so we had our dinner from there...

Pork sandwich was moist but not very flavorful, Slaw was typical grocery store mayo slaw. Chicken sandwich was very tasty- My wife who claimed she was not that hungry ate all but two bites, and the hushpuppies... We also got the peach cobber... THAT would be a reason to go to corky's.

This AM went to the Lorraine. I am 30. The history of that time does not leave an impact until you see this museum... I actually felt drained, I didnt like reading the timeline items... I focused on the actual letters and artifacts. I do not think this is a one shot museum and If I came back to Memphis I would do it again.

Beale, Didn't realize it was so as I was headed to Sun Studio I parked. Got a beer at Miss Polly's- wanted to check it out a little because I noticed the greens on the menu... Possible dinner Tuesday with the wife. Went to pig on Beale.

Pork and Slaw sandwich. First bite... eh, ok, second bite BARK. delicious. also, There was not any (or not much) sauce added to the sandwich. I like that. I want to taste the meat and usually like just a little vinegar/pepper sauce... But since I am in Memphis I am doing the sandwich however the Shop sells it.

Sun Studios. Thank you again for the recomendation. To see all those musicians who recorded there and the actual room. Wow...

On the way back to the hotel I went past neeleys... Oops, I stopped... Couldnt help myself. Meat was dry and was heavily sauced and hit with xtra rub after it was put on the roll I guess?... Hold the Paprikia next time please...

I need to hit the pool and maybe a nap before dinner... Trying to get the wife to go to Commissary... So I need to make room

I have been taking pictures but since I am touring by myself they are the typical signs and really are not that interesting.

---k---
03-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Sounds good so far.

Based on my last trip to Memphis, I'm skipping the pulled pork and getting all ribs.

NBBD
03-15-2011, 07:03 AM
The Commissary.

Wow. Ribs fit my tastes perfectly-. The Beans- Like the chili powder flavor that came through and nice tasty pork goodness mixed in.

Dinner is a good time because my wife and I can split a sample platter somewhere... The Shoulder was dry and bland- we did not finish the portion. The chicken was mostly white meat a little dry... but nice flavor. Deviled Egg! Wow, One of the best Ive had and can't explain why. Maybe it was because it was just because It wasn't BBQ...

Today I am going to try ribs where I go because I see a pattern forming... or may splurge and leave leftovers for my wife

--k-- I am starting to see why you stick to ribs in Memphis...

I guess I can't edit my previous posts to add a few pics so I will add them all after I get back to one post.

deepsouth
03-15-2011, 08:54 AM
I must be too young to appreciate Graceland.

i'm 40, lived in memphis from 1993-2000 and i never visited.

Garyclaw
03-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Sounds like you're having fun. Would be a nice trip to take someday. What was your drive time going down?

WineMaster
03-15-2011, 12:04 PM
We really liked Corky's. The apple bbq sauce was great.

NBBD
03-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Todays sampling- Rendezvous Ribs (after seeing the peabody ducks) I can see why you love it or hate it. I enjoyed it But it may be because after all the BBQ I have had the fact that it was different and I do like vinegar. Also, If anyone has a Copy Cat that is close to the Slaw they use I'd Appreciate it.

Had a beer on Beale again this time at Rum Boogie. Walked a bit, Drove Down to the river, then over the river. Next went to Cozy Corner. Had the three bone plate. Drove past the Bar B Q Shop- Feeling full but went for it... Got a sandwich since I did not see a 2-3 bone offering. For a reg sandwich this thing was OVERLOADED...

I was going to get some take out Payne's to bring back to the Hotel but Didn't have any cash on me. Time for a rest.

kevinsbbqjoints
03-16-2011, 01:35 AM
I'd say Cozy Corner, Paynes, and Rendezvous (in that order) are a must.

Kevin Kelly
Kevin's BBQ Joints
http://www.kevinsbbqjoints.com

NBBD
03-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Well its a wrap, Back at work in PA. I had a nice flight back- My lucky wife is still in Memphis. Funny thing Is my Departure teminal was B14. Do you know what is right next to it!? Interstate's Airport location. So I figured one last sandwich before I go...
Thanks again to everyone who helped plan this trip out. Definately one to remember.

Ender's
03-28-2011, 12:33 AM
+1 on Central BBQ. Apparently there's a fried chicken place (can't remember the name right now but will work on that) that is not to be missed.

It's called Gus's Fried Chicken and no, you shouldn't miss it.