PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in a North Central PA comp?

PCBBQCO
03-04-2011, 08:47 PM
So I have been thinking of trying to get a compitition started in North Central Pennsylvania. I have not seen a KCBS compitition with-in 100 miles of this area. The question, how many teams would be interested in coming to the area? I have gotten the attention of an organization that may be interesed in hosting a compitition to go along with another event. Anyone out there ever heard of Red Susspender Weekend? It is an event sponsered by a fire company annually on the July 4th weekend. Honestly one of the best fireworks displays anyone has ever seen. Small town of Galeton in Potter County. Venue would be grass spaces along a paved drive, water and electric available. Think rural. Really rural.

Anyway bottom line is, if there would be enough interest for this date and location, I would like to set something up. Not sure if there is time for this year, but you need to start somewhere.

Let me know what you think

White Dog BBQ
03-04-2011, 10:16 PM
The Mid-Atlantic desperately needs contests in June. I think there's only 1 or 2. Get something set up then and I bet you will get a fair number of teams. I would avoid August-October because there are a bunch of Pennsylvania contests in those months.

watg?
03-05-2011, 07:43 AM
You might think about reaching out to MABBQA (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association), they have some very knowledgeable folks there that might assist. Just a thought.
http://www.mabbqa.com/

PCBBQCO
03-05-2011, 07:16 PM
This would have to be the July fourth weekend as it would be tied to an event that has been running for 2-3 decades. If there was enough interest, we could look at the Pennsylvania Sate Laurel Festival in June, located in Wellsboro. I would still think it need a host. Based on the response thus far, I am guessing there is not much interest.

PCBBQCO
03-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks. I will look into the MABBQA.

Muzzlebrake
03-05-2011, 07:27 PM
based on your location in PA, I would think you would want to try and draw many of the NY and NEBS (http://www.nebs.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=5) teams too, so you might want to check their calender as well.

PCBBQCO
03-05-2011, 07:35 PM
based on your location in PA, I would think you would want to try and draw many of the NY and NEBS (http://www.nebs.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=5) teams too, so you might want to check their calender as well.

Good thought. Thanks. I have only been to one NEBS event.

Red Valley BBQ
03-05-2011, 10:47 PM
There is a contest in Frederick, MD the weekend of the Laurel Festival which will probably draw alot of teams from southern PA. There is also a contest in Wilson, NY that is in the process of getting sanctioning for that same weekend. That contest would be part of the Empire State Championship series that will draw a number of NY teams. So July 4th weekend would probably be your best bet of the dates you named. The only contest that weekend is in Lake Placid, and that's a long drive for us PA folks.