PDA

View Full Version : event prices

HONCHO GREGORY
03-03-2011, 06:22 AM
Can I ask you if you would be more likely to enter a BBQ comp if the price was

!, entrance fee $100 and the pay back is 100%.
in prize and cash

2, fees at $220 and pay back is also 80%

as long as the event is run in a pro manner

and would you enter if the event is a charity event vs
run for profit. With a promoter

Thanks, for the feed back

roksmith
03-03-2011, 06:49 AM
I'm not keen on participating in any event with less then 100% payout. Every event we've cooked in has more then 100% of the entry fees going out to the teams.
Profit or charity.. the money should be made from sponsors, not the teams.

Brew-B-Q
03-03-2011, 07:52 AM
I don't really consider payout unless it is something really odd, but I would favor your first option. I'd be more open to a lower payout if the proceeds go to a charity versus a for-profit promoter.

Lake Dogs
03-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Most entry fees around this area start at $200 and go up; I've paid as much as $600
entry fee and they always had a nice payout, 80% payout 20% charity, or 100%
payout. However, to the third part of your question, the entry fee is honestly one
of the smallest portions of the costs. For KCBS or other KCBS type we'll spend right
at $800 when it's said and done and we dont travel far. For MBN we'll spend about
$1200 but have spend more. What you're describing would definitely be a backyard
(non-sanctioned) comp, yes? For those you usually get a few local back yard type
of teams, and that's generally about it. You may get 1 or 2 teams that compete
regularly, but honestly it's unlikely. Most of them tend to stick with sanctioned
competitions.

HandsomeSwede
03-03-2011, 03:00 PM
You also need to keep in mind you are asking that question in a state where teams will have, at last tally and pending some further developments, anywhere from 15-18 different competitions to choose from in 2011.

Muzzlebrake
03-03-2011, 07:34 PM
I look more at payout amounts than percentage of entry fees.

I've never done that math for any contest I have ever been to and unless its written somewhere on the application or contest advertisements, I wouldn't have any idea of what the payout to entry fee percentage is.

I have also seen charities far more professional than some pro's and some pro's that shouldn't run a bake sale. To that end, I think the event need to be well run no matter what type of organization runs it

but thats just me

Pigs on Fire
03-04-2011, 06:34 AM
I may be waaay off here, but I imagine most teams look for a competition that has a reputation of being well-run, has a good rep from the sanctioning body and has a minimum $7500 purse.

A lot of KCBS comps try to hit the $10,000 purse mark. Those usually have 38-50 teams or more. A $250 entry fee is about the limit for a purse of that size. When you get into the $20k, $35k, $50k purses, I can understand a $400-500 entry fee.

Doing all the calculating and percentage of entry fee to payout is a bunch of mindless chatter to me. I want to know some sort of concrete number before hand and I have other things to worry about during the contest as to how many showed up and what the purse will be based on that.