PDA

View Full Version : What to charge............

jbrink01
03-02-2011, 09:06 PM
This has to be the most asked question in this section of the forum. I had dinner tonight with Todd (Plowboys BBQ) and he had a suggestion - A BBQ / Catering Class.

I feed in the neighborhood of 15,000 people a year, and I do NOT have a high end commisary. I am HD legal and insured and PROFITABLE. The concept would be to disclose and discuss my recipes, purchasing, timing, staging, holding, presentation, profitability, competitive pricing and marketing.

If you've been asked to feed 100 people and didnt profit $500, you left money on the table. Contest classes sell for $500 and are a gamble. I'd like to show you my methods to earn money instead of spending it. Who would be interested and what would you pay?

txschutte
03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
A class on competitive bidding and dealing with wholesale costs jumping up and down would be a class subject I would be interested in.

Not sure what I'd pay..Maybe a couple hundred? Depending on class info?

bigdogphin
03-02-2011, 11:43 PM
This is a great subject and a class I would like to attend. Cookshack runs a series of classes like this that I think cost around 700 or 750 it includes hotel in Ponca City. I would think that this type of class would be more indepth and have a smaller class size than a Comp class. I would think that 500.00 would be a starting point. It depends on what you would offer... 1 day or 2 day and would it be just you or would Todd be helping.... Lots to consider but there is a market out there.

jbrink01
03-03-2011, 07:46 AM
This is a great subject and a class I would like to attend. Cookshack runs a series of classes like this that I think cost around 700 or 750 it includes hotel in Ponca City. I would think that this type of class would be more indepth and have a smaller class size than a Comp class. I would think that 500.00 would be a starting point. It depends on what you would offer... 1 day or 2 day and would it be just you or would Todd be helping.... Lots to consider but there is a market out there.

Thanks for your input. I was thinking $350 - $500. Not sure if Todd would help or not. He did say he would like to be involved. We haven't really talked details, just the concept. Cookshack and Mike Mills do it, but they are assuming you have a restaurant. I started "off the radar" if you will and would devote time to being legal, but on a shoestring as well as staying "under the radar". I think mine would be more real world, because that's how I started.

I chose not to take a lot of profit initially and reinvest. I now have 2 FEC 500's, a catering / vending trailer, a large offset and a dedicated catering vehicle. TONS of "stuff", a 48" Chargriller, 2 commercial coolers and a warming oven. All with no debt. We plan to start taking a little more profit this year.

Our busiest weekend so far has been 1200 @ a company picnic, 300 at a wedding and 250 at another wedding. All on the same day.

Schraufy
03-03-2011, 07:53 AM
I would be intrested in a class on this subject in a small setting. I would think it could be covered in a day setting since your not talking about actually cooking.

gsmith
03-03-2011, 08:00 AM
It sounds very interesting to me and something I would be interested in

trohrs123
03-03-2011, 08:37 AM
always something I wanted to do but had no idea how to start...so def interested

bigdogphin
03-03-2011, 06:11 PM
If your not cooking and its not hands on, maybe you could webcast it and email materials to students. Then you could charge a little less 150.00 or 200.00 but do a lot more people. But whatever you come up I think it would be great.

Bbq Bubba
03-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Where do you think i learned from the last 4 years?

I think you would put on a great class. The info you have to offer saving all the start up mistakes could be invaluable. :thumb:

worthsmokin
03-03-2011, 06:54 PM
I think a class would be excellent. I have learned a lot from all the threads and post on here, but anytime someone that is successful in the business (such as yourself):-P is willing to divulge what made them successful you can count me in.
I will have to check your materials in a free one on one tutoring session first.:crazy:

brotherbd
03-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Sounds like a class I should keep an ear out for.

Wife and I are in the talking stages about getting into this Q'thang for business. While $500 isn't cheap it's a lot cheaper than making a few huge mistakes or a string of little one's. It's gotta be cheaper on the learning curve.

Once you get settled on this, I'll do my best to be sitting on the front row.

This thread is now on my subscription list and you can add me to your contact list for the class.

Blessings,

brotherbd

Ken V
03-03-2011, 11:55 PM
I like your first #, I would definitely be interested.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jbrink01
03-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Wife and I are in the talking stages about getting into this Q'thang for business. While $500 isn't cheap it's a lot cheaper than making a few huge mistakes or a string of little one's. It's gotta be cheaper on the learning curve.

Blessings,

brotherbd

Thanks! My wife is an integral part of the business. She no longer has a "real job" and this works well for us what with 2 kids. SO it helps if yours is on board! Todd actually brought it up to me to do. I suppose I take my knowledge for granted, but it would have been nice to learn up front some of the potential pitfalls (would have saved me time and money in the first couple years).

Is there a time frame better or worse for everyone? Should I try and do it this summer or wait until fall? Washington Missouri is very convenient to St. Louis for travel, but, I'm not averse to tyravel if the attendee population density is skewed heavily away from here. We would not prep at the class, but I would have a serving line set up and we would certainly eat!

Vending would also be on the discssion board, as we still do about 24 days of it a year.

FattyMac
03-04-2011, 11:02 AM
I'd be interested.

The wife and I have done a couple of cooks for some friends and have been idly talking about what we would need to do to make ourselves legal.
We were looking at the cookshack class but this seems like it would be far better for our needs.

Ashmont
03-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Jeff I could get the Gym of our school if it is over the summer. it has a small meduim commercial kitchen if you need it... Near Westport Can get a computer proctor for PowerPoint slides or whatever.

Three porks
03-04-2011, 11:35 AM
This would be a great idea. I'd pay $500.00 for sure!! Business owners can just "write this off" as a business expense. Win-Win!!

LTG
03-04-2011, 01:09 PM
$250-$300.

TRS
03-04-2011, 05:34 PM
I would be interested. Been wanting to get into some catering.

WSM2
03-05-2011, 05:42 PM
If your not cooking and its not hands on, maybe you could webcast it and email materials to students.

Smart! I too would love the idea of being able to "Skype" in and learn for you.

KentuckyLandSales
03-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Where do we go to find out more?

Brad Simmons

brotherbd
03-14-2011, 09:31 PM
What happened to the class? :shocked:

I am very interested in a class of this type. :becky:

Please keep us informed of the date or any further progress. :thumb:

Blessings,

brotherbd

jbrink01
03-14-2011, 10:29 PM
The class is still a go. I'm woring on the logistics. Thoughts on when?

bigdogphin
03-16-2011, 12:39 AM
My vote is fall, most of my summer is already booked. If your looking for votes.

wannchef
03-16-2011, 01:24 PM
I would be interested in attending. I like the lower price the best :). I am in Omaha a little closer would be great.

Trucky1008
03-16-2011, 02:16 PM
I would be interested in attending. I like the lower price the best :). I am in Omaha a little closer would be great.

Another Omahan interested in the class. I'm just getting started on becomming legal and hope to start catering/vending this summer. The HD is inspecting my trailer this Friday, so things are hopefully going to start moving for me. I say the sooner the better, but I do understand the comp season is underway.

outside ed
03-17-2011, 01:36 PM
This is very interesting to me as well, since I am somewhat on this path already.

PorkQPine
03-17-2011, 04:48 PM
A webinar is the way to go for me since I am in Ca. We could download the materials and view the class on the web. I think you would get a whole lot more attendees if they don't have to travel, stay in a hotel, rent a car and eat out a few meals. What starts out as a $500 class ends up over $1,000 for a lot of us.

Big Ace
03-17-2011, 05:51 PM
A webinar is the way to go for me since I am in Ca. We could download the materials and view the class on the web. I think you would get a whole lot more attendees if they don't have to travel, stay in a hotel, rent a car and eat out a few meals. What starts out as a $500 class ends up over $1,000 for a lot of us.

Being in CA too, I love the webinar idea.

HBMTN
03-17-2011, 08:14 PM
I think $500 would be a minimum. A class put together right, with people bragging on how they benefited from the class $1000-$2000 My feet are wet now so I am on my way, but this time last year two years ago when I was in the planning stages of opening my business and such a class been around I would have paid $2000

jbrink01
03-17-2011, 09:12 PM
The approach i'm leaning to is a "live" class which will be vido taped. From there I could develop a webinar. I know everyone likes cheaper, but I don't cater cheap because my food and service are worth it. I think my time is too. @ $500, I could limit the class to 20, which is a great group size for Q and A. I would like to tie the class into a slower weekend when we are feeding a group of 200 - 300. Anyone that wanted could shadow our crew as well after the class.

Rusted Truck Ranch
03-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Great idea for a class. I love the idea of shadowing the crew. 500 is a very reasonable price. Please keep us posted if you move forward.

jbrink01
03-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Great idea for a class. I love the idea of shadowing the crew. 500 is a very reasonable price. Please keep us posted if you move forward.

I'l make it happen. Most likely be August or September........Thanks!!

Big_Alvin
03-25-2011, 04:02 AM
i'd be interested in the class and price sounds about right. However, i'm in Massachusetts......

Capn Kev
04-02-2011, 09:17 AM
I'l make it happen. Most likely be August or September........Thanks!!

Jeff, please add me to your distro on the class. I'd be interested in the class as well.

Kev

Two Bears
04-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Just a suggestion on the class for the people that would love to attend the class but can't.

Have the first class filmed so you can put it on a CD and then sell them to those that can't travel that way you can help so many more with your knowledge.

Ken V
04-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Jeff, I am in on this. If you are keeping a tally yet, please add me too it.

Thanks,

Ken

indianagriller
04-21-2011, 10:02 PM
i would be in, but more for the cd / dvd if available afterward, Hard for me to get enough PTO from work to be gone for more than 2-3 days.

jbrink01
04-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Sounds Great! Date to follow after I talk with Plowboy (Todd) next weekend!

Big_Alvin
04-22-2011, 07:41 PM
awesome, this new englander hopefully can make the trip and while there try out your new joint. thanks for this.

gsmith
04-22-2011, 08:11 PM
awesome, this new englander hopefully can make the trip and while there try out your new joint. thanks for this.

you planning on flying or driving out?

I'm sure you're flying but I had to ask

Big_Alvin
04-22-2011, 11:32 PM
flying - of course my going depends to two things :
1. the wife lets me go
2. the wife lets me go

jbrink01
08-05-2011, 09:38 AM
My schedule is FINALLY getting manageable. I need to set the date. November, December or January. What is preferred?

JS-TX
08-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Couldn't attend being way over here in TX, but have you put any thoughts on what a DVD of the class would cost?

Big_Alvin
08-05-2011, 04:59 PM
January works bests. Burning remainder of this years vacation time on a trip to hawaii, vegas and grand canyon in october. A gift to the Mrs. for putting up with me for 25 years.

apple7769
08-05-2011, 05:51 PM
It is great this is coming together. You name the date and the price. My kid wants to attend. He started his own legal bbq business on a shoe string and has worked thru a lot of the problems getting started but, wants to learn more about running a sucessful operation.

The shadowing option is a big plus.

Thanks.

mikerobes
08-08-2011, 09:59 PM
January sounds cold, however it would be a good time, vacation time is low here as well.
keep me in your que list
Mike