PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis or baby back?

HOG WILD BBQ
03-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Which one do the judges prefer? St. Louis or baby back?

mobow
03-01-2011, 04:27 PM
I don't know if judges really care. But, I see spares more often. keith

Southern Home Boy
03-01-2011, 05:06 PM
STL spares are more forgiving, I think.

Lake Dogs
03-01-2011, 05:20 PM
KCBS definitely St Louis
MBN definitely Baby Backs

wormdrink67
03-01-2011, 08:55 PM
My team has pulled a 2nd and 3rd place finish in the past 6 comps with back ribs at KCBS events....It's my belief if you can give them a perfectly cooked/presented back rib, they'll take it every time over the spares. It's just very, very hard to do that consistently. Spares give room for error.

LongTong
03-01-2011, 09:03 PM
It's all about taste, tenderness, and texture. A judge's taste buds are blind...

INmitch
03-01-2011, 10:28 PM
I changed a little bit last year in Sept n got third in a tough field. Then went with somthin I'd been playing with @ Degaque against the big boys and took 1st. One appearance point from a 180. St louiee all the way!!!:thumb: We'll see how it does starting out this year.:icon_shy

Crash
03-02-2011, 02:02 AM
All I know is that we have done much better with spares....unless your pitbit$h removes the water pan, because the cooker aint at temp, beause your cooking at high altitude..... and then you end up burning the bottoms of all of your racks.

Just Sayin'

Don't tell her I said this. :heh:

So, yeah...ummm Spares!

Hub
03-02-2011, 05:32 AM
One judge's opinion: No bias toward either and I've had excellent examples of both turned in. It is the whole package that counts -- appearance, flavor, texture -- and either can be a winner.

In my experience (4 years) I've seen a lot more spares than bb's show up in the box. I think this may be because spares are sometimes a bit less expensive and, with proper trimming, maybe a bit easier to get uniform in appearance. Sometimes they are also meatier.

For my personal "friends and family" non-contest cooking I often go with baby backs because they are easier to prepare (no trimming, just skin 'em).

smalls65
03-02-2011, 06:44 AM
St louie!!!!!!!!!! :-p

paydabill
03-02-2011, 11:15 AM
As a judge I do not have a bias, but as a cook I do spares.

Only becuase I am used to it, and know what I need from spares. I have tried baby backs - I actually like eating baby backs over spares. Maybe I should play around more.

aggravation4u
03-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I always look for the smallest bones on the Baby's. They are more tender and sweet. Smaller the bone, sweeter the meat. I just won a contest a few months ago here locally. It was against 3 resteraunt owners in town here. I smoked them.. Literally..

Smokey

HOG WILD BBQ
03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
As a judge I do not have a bias, but as a cook I do spares.

Only becuase I am used to it, and know what I need from spares. I have tried baby backs - I actually like eating baby backs over spares. Maybe I should play around more.
since u are a judge, just what do the judges look for in a rib in general?

bmanMA
03-02-2011, 07:16 PM
as a judge you are not supposed to have a bias. But in reality you do. It's just like when they tell you to not judge a smoke ring, or chicken without skin. It's hard to do that in reality, and I dont think that I can really do it. You have a gut feeling and that is based on your preference.

that being said, I really just look for a great rib. I personally prefer the STL, so I am sure that there is a subconscience reaction to them that favors them over backs.

ammoore
03-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Smaller the bone, sweeter the meat.

Is that like "Blacker the berry, sweeter the juice"?