PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Goddahavit
03-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Last year was our first year competing we did about 5 Comps.

One comp in particular we had a great time, and finished the best we ever have.
Problem is the organizers messed up the awards, and apparently never ordered the ribbons for the brisket category.

Now I know a ribbon doesn't seem like much and we did get other ribbons at that comp but i cant help feel cheated.

We know we are not making money at this, and we do it for the fun, but I have to admit, taking walks and getting awards really brightens my family's day.

I have contacted the organizer and although they said they were going to adress this I still have not recieved any award or even a response to my last query.

So fast forward, and its time to decide what comps we can afford to do this year, and even though we had a great time and did well, I am seriously thinking of not going back to that comp.

Am i being silly? I am looking for some thoughts?

Thanks, Eric

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
03-01-2011, 11:27 AM
I think I know the comp you are refering to, I also have emailed about missing ribbons with no luck. I dont care what the award is I want it. I paid in full and expect the/any organizer to fullfill their part of the agreement regardless of prize or cash, its why I competed there.

I actually have not seen the comp listed on the KCBS website...

as far as re-entering if they do have a comp, I would have to think about it for a while.

Jorge
03-01-2011, 11:35 AM
I'd contact the organizer, ask about my ribbon, and let them know that my participation was contingent on receiving my ribbon. They may have an explanation that will satisfy you. They may not. It seems like it would be easier to make that decision after having talked to them.

My .02

RangerJ
03-01-2011, 11:52 AM
I agree with both previous posts.

Very few of us are making money at this and those ribbons are what make it all worth while.

Sure seems easier to justify the expense when you get your name or number called and get some small token to show that you, on that day, out cooked a few others.

Lake Dogs
03-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Your thoughts are definitely NOT silly. Otherwise, why compete at all? Do yhey think
that their competition is going to somehow propel the winner onto the world stage
and the fame will make up for it? Not. We do it for the enjoyment and the
occasional walk.

Honestly, if it were me, I wouldnt go back even if they did get those ribbons sent
out. I would, however, partially fill out the entry form then explain simply that
you dont attend contests where the organizer can't live up to the agreed upon
conditions, and send that to them.

wormdrink67
03-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Honestly, if it were me, I wouldnt go back even if the did get those ribbons sent
out. I would, however, partially fill out the entry form then explain simply that
you dont attend contests where the organizer can't live up to the agreed upon
conditions, and send that to them.

Well said and agreed. If they can't supply you with a $8 ribbon for all the work you put into earning, I'd tell them to go....well, you know what I mean.

Bentley
03-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I'd contact the organizer, ask about my ribbon, and let them know that my future participation was contingent on receiving my ribbon. They may have an explanation that will satisfy you. They may not. It seems like it would be easier to make that decision after having talked to them.

My .02

This is what I was going to tell you to do.

Smoke'n Ice
03-01-2011, 03:35 PM
I may be in a minority but, receiving the ribbon after the fact would be somewhat anticlimatic. If you got your name called and acknowledgement in front of your peers at the contest, then that was the glory. After you have been competing awhile, there will be no where to put or display the ribbons and trophys anyway so you start looking for money instead. This will just keep your kids from having to throw out those ratty old ribbons one day and wonder why you kept them.

Compete in contests that you have fun at, and if you get a call, even without a ribbon, it will always be remembered as a great contest. Case in point, you enjoyed the contest and did real well at it, so go back and do better the next time because you have more experience.

landarc
03-01-2011, 09:19 PM
The suggestion from Smoke'n Ice sounds great, but, there is more to this issue in my experience. What Jorge says is true in that it is another way to handle it fairly.

My experience, a couple years ago, in the competitive swimming world, a change in organizers caused one of the best meets around to go a little wonky. Small things were just not handled well. Ribbons and medals were all confused, it took weeks to sort out. FF three months, same guy and this time, there are not enough ribbons again, and the ones that were there, were not marked and had to be hand labelled. Over the next 6 months, nothing, some ribbons never appeared, no communication. This year, same guy, and this time, NO awards, the parent in charge decided it was too cold and rainy, so did not show. Did the ribbons show up later? Yes, but, months later. In one year, the guy took one of the best meets I had been to and made it so we will never go to a meet he is involved in. Some folks can't get it done.

Red Valley BBQ
03-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Would it be uncool for someone to name said contest? I surely don't want to spend my hard earned money on a comp if the agreement between an organizer and the teams is not honored.

Smokin Mike
03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Would it be uncool for someone to name said contest? I surely don't want to spend my hard earned money on a comp if the agreement between an organizer and the teams is not honored.

I like to know too!

Jeff_in_KC
03-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Similar happened to us in 2009 at a comp. First place in categories got plaques but 2nd through 10th ribbons never arrived to the organizer. It was promised they would be sent to winners. It took over a year (about 14 months) and multiple calls, emails and even a call to KCBS but I finally received the four ribbons I was owed. But it left a bad taste in my mouth and I haven't been back to either of the comps this person puts on. Not that I wouldn't ever go back but for now, it's just something I choose not to do. The money gets spent quickly and is gone. But the ribbons and other contest bling you bring home are a reminder of fun times and memories for us. That's not to be taken lightly IMO.

Crash
03-02-2011, 02:06 AM
I'd be unhappy as well. My kids like having some worthless piece of fabric (or trophy) brought home for them to brag to their friends about.

I agree with the others though, make a call and ask what's up.

Goddahavit
03-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Smokin Gnome, yes you know the comp....

A lot of good points brought up here, I haven't see it on the KCBS site yet, but they have it listed on their site.

I will continue to try and contact them.
I'm not out to cause trouble, but I fail to see why it takes this long to order a few (10) ribbons, and fulfill what was promised.

Jorge thanks, good advise...

Jacked UP BBQ
03-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Worried about ribbons? I will send you some, I have a pile, I hate ribbons. JUST GIVE ME THE CHECK!

paydabill
03-02-2011, 11:13 AM
I agree with most - the ribbons at this point is the "bling" that you can show off to fameily and friends. Also when you vend, I put the ribons and trophies out there as well.

Fishiest1
03-02-2011, 12:04 PM
You earned it, you deserve it, period!

We just did our very first competition and since we didn't have any que tropies or ribbons we set up my sons wrestling and our fishing tournament trophies as a joke. :)

Willie's Smokehouse
03-02-2011, 12:16 PM
We just did our very first competition and since we didn't have any que tropies or ribbons we set up my sons wrestling and our fishing tournament trophies as a joke. :)

You mean that really wasnt award winning bbq we had????:tsk:

Pig Headed
03-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Smokin Gnome, yes you know the comp....

A lot of good points brought up here, I haven't see it on the KCBS site yet, but they have it listed on their site.

I will continue to try and contact them.
I'm not out to cause trouble, but I fail to see why it takes this long to order a few (10) ribbons, and fulfill what was promised.

Jorge thanks, good advise...

I think I know which one you mean. Sorry to hear it, cause I really liked that comp. Good luck what ever you decide.

Goddahavit
03-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Yep, Ron you were there as well....

Just received a email, wonder if they read this thread or are just replying to my email from a few days ago...

I quote"I apologize! Hopefully, they will be ready next week and I’ll get them out. So sorry, Alicia"

So hopefully anyone waiting will get the ribbons...
Still have to decide which way to go on attending, but hope they do get everyone the ribbons.

Eric