PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Team Q/A with Harry Soo

mbrailey
02-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Harry Soo and some of the other more accomplished cooks in California are answering questions for new teams as part of a mentoring program at the CBBQA site.

Stop on by and fire away with your questions or just peruse the answers that have already been provided.

http://www.cbbqa.org/forum/index.php?showforum=74

MilitantSquatter
02-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Hmmm...

Isn't that basically what takes place on this site and in this sub-forum on a larger scale with a broader group ? :confused:

AZScott
03-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

Bentley
03-01-2011, 11:41 AM
True, but just different Harry & Benny haters on the CBBQA site...

Scottie
03-01-2011, 11:53 AM
seeing I was not sure which angle you were coming from. Don't you believe that is created by them? Self prtomotion really rubs folks the wrong way. Whether that be California, Illinois, New York, et al... That is what I see from the misc forums, including the CBBQA.

True, but just different Harry & Benny haters on the CBBQA site...

Bentley
03-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Self promotion from BBQ teams...Seems that is the name of the game in Competition BBQ so your point is lost on me...To many teams see a reflection in the mirror and don't want to admit it.

What's that link at the bottom of your signature? So as long as we do it for a good cause it's OK?

JiveTurkey
03-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Dang what's with the negativity? Harry is doing a great service for new teams by answering questions and he also leads the mentoring program where he matches up newbies with established teams to help them learn. He does this to promote BBQ and share the love. This should be encouraged not dissed just because it's not all done here on the brethren. Geez!

Matt, thanks for the link. (this is Jason from Bang A Drum BTW :-P)

Scottie
03-01-2011, 12:26 PM
to be clear, I don't make a penny for what I do. I actually lose a hell of a lot of money doing what I am doing, without having to rub others the wrong way with self promotion . So to compare me with that is not a very good comparison.And for the record. All of my books are open for the public, as we are a 501c(3). Of course if anyone wants to compare what I do with anyone, I will gladly go head-to-head...

I do not know what I was thinking by trying to address your question. I speak from folks that I have heard from. That is from Cali, AZ to the midwest. So don't beat the messenger, they have made their bed.

huminie
03-01-2011, 12:45 PM
As a rookie I appreciate any opportunity to learn from whomever I can, where ever I can. I am soaking up everything so I have as much knowledge as possible when it comes time to compete.

The veterans probably don't see much value in this "program", but to me as a rookie is is very valuable.

Of course, I have also been reading everything I can here, and on various other BBQ sites and I appreciate them all.

And if the most dominant team in the region I will be competing in wants to help me and share knowledge with me, then I am definitely all ears!

Smoke'n Ice
03-01-2011, 04:06 PM
I followed the link in this posting, read the responses and the only thing that comes to mind is the quote "endeavor to persevere." There is a lot of verbage but no substance.

Finney
03-01-2011, 04:33 PM
I followed the link in this posting, read the responses and the only thing that comes to mind is the quote "endeavor to persevere." There is a lot of verbage but no substance.

That's my favorite quote from "The Outlaw Josey Wales". :thumb:

RangerJ
03-01-2011, 04:35 PM
And if the most dominant team in the region I will be competing in wants to help me and share knowledge with me, then I am definitely all ears!

My very first cook off, in 2009, I was sandwiched between Harry and "Viva New Mexico!" Jim and Adrian of Sweet Peppers. I can't speak highly enough about the guidance I received from both teams.

That being said ( and I have not read the guidance or link), Based on performance the years that Slap yo has been competing, unless I'm mistaken, the most dominant team in that region has been RnQ.

huminie
03-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Ok, add and s to 'team' in my statement. RnQ is also participating in this program.

Jeff_in_KC
03-01-2011, 11:42 PM

You should definitely attend his judge class then.

Scottie
03-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Damn, water up the nose.... Hater. ;)

huminie
03-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Must be an inside joke I don't get.

I'm just a rookie trying to scrape together enough knowledge to not embarrass myself this coming season.

Jeff_in_KC
03-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Damn, water up the nose.... Hater. ;)

In the video, they interview CBJs taking that class. I thought that's what it was. :confused:

Sylvie
03-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Must be an inside joke I don't get.

I'm just a rookie trying to scrape together enough knowledge to not embarrass myself this coming season.
Don't worry about it. I didn't get it either. Bad inside joke.

Jeff_in_KC
03-02-2011, 12:39 AM
I didn't think it was a joke, good or bad. It was an observation. Does he not put on a monthly class out there?

Bigmista
03-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Harry teaches a monthly BBQ 101 class. It's not a judges class.

And I want to apologize to all the people I have rubbed the wrong way in the past with my shameless self-promotion. I promise to refrain from helping people here and answering questions because my posts actually help my Google rankings and forward people to my website.

I will keep my evil information to myself from now on and I suggest you all do the same.

Sylvie
03-02-2011, 01:03 AM

And I want to apologize to all the people I have rubbed the wrong way in the past with my shameless self-promotion. I promise to refrain from helping people here and answering questions because my posts actually help my Google rankings and forward people to my website.

I will keep my evil information to myself from now on and I suggest you all do the same.
Amen!

huminie
03-02-2011, 01:17 AM
I didn't think it was a joke, good or bad. It was an observation. Does he not put on a monthly class out there?

I think he holds a backyard bbq class every now and then, but I don't know much about it.

What I do know is that the CBBQA is bringing David Bouska of Butcher's out to teach a competition BBQ class. I jumped all over that.

I'll ask Harry about the judges class though, since he will be a student alongside me this weekend in David's class.

Jeff_in_KC
03-02-2011, 01:37 AM

I guess I misunderstood. I was led to believe the classes are CBJ-heavy and even saw a CBJ interviewed who claimed Harry is the best and wins "almost every contest he's in and if he doesn't, he finishes second". That was on some AOL/Patch Web site from out your way. That's paraphrased. I do not recall exactly what the guy on the video said word for word.

ThomEmery
03-02-2011, 08:40 AM
CBJs do take Harrys class as well as many of the teams

It is very well done ,no I have not done it yet

mkevenson
03-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Jive Turkey, Hmmmmmm.

I once knew a guy from those parts, pretty good feller and Great cook.

Think I'll run into him on Sat next.

Oh by the by, SYD did ok in national comp and Kali last year. Been pretty kind to me too. Never charged a dime. Must be a charity?:confused:

Mark

huminie
03-02-2011, 12:38 PM
So, is the implication that Harry teaches a BBQ class to judges so that they will learn that his BBQ is best...and perhaps even recognize his entry in the judging tent based on this experience...thereby making him more successful than he would otherwise be? Is that the gist of what you are trying to suggest?

It is an interesting theory, for sure.

Capn Kev
03-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Whatever Harry's doing, it must be working for his particular region. I think he has the flavor profile dialed in. However, I have yet to see him win outside of CA, NV, or the West in general. All six of his GCs last year were in California. When he competed at the 2010 GAB in KS, he finished in the top 14%, but wasn't in the money. Same goes for the SOTW in Arkansas last year. He finished in the top 33%, and took a small check in ribs. It appears that he is purposely only competing in contests out West. If it works, good ...He's making money. However, he will not gain the respect of all of the cooks across the country because of that fact.

I have no qualms with Harry doing cooking classes. If he can fill those classes with people paying $300, so be it. It's capitalism at it's finest. Supply meeting demand. I'd do it too if I could. I think the problem some guys have is that Harry's only been a competitor for a couple of years, and he has yet to really prove himself outside of the West. When he wins a Jack or Royal then I think he would garner more respect. Heck, if he would just compete in the Midwest or East and win some contests, he'd gain more respect.

That's just my $.02

Kev

MoKanMeathead
03-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Wow - really. He won 6 GCs and you think he is not a good cook because they were all "out west". I would LOVE to win 6 contests in a year - ANYWHERE! Traveling from the west coast to the midwest or east for a BBQ contest would take a lot of time and money - I don't blame him at all for staying closer to home. And for the record he did win Reserve Grand Champion at the GAB in 2009...I would say that is fairly strong.

The way I am reading some of these posts is that some are just jealeous of his acomplishments.

Capn Kev
03-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Wow - really. He won 6 GCs and you think he is not a good cook because they were all "out west". I would LOVE to win 6 contests in a year - ANYWHERE! Traveling from the west coast to the midwest or east for a BBQ contest would take a lot of time and money - I don't blame him at all for staying closer to home. And for the record he did win Reserve Grand Champion at the GAB in 2009...I would say that is fairly strong.

The way I am reading some of these posts is that some are just jealeous of his acomplishments.

Perhaps you missed my point, and didn't entirely read my post. I wasn't disrespecting Harry's accomplishments, nor am I jealous. He is a great cook!!!! I'm happy for him, and the fact that he's promoting the crap out of BBQ in California. The gist of my post was an attempt to explain why some cooks on this forum feel that he really hasn't earned his stripes yet. The GAB in 2009 is the only contest that Harry has finished in the money outside of competitions in the West.

Here are his stats for 2009, the only year he really delved into national competition:

Date Contest Place
10/17/09 Diamond State BBQ Championship - Dover, DE 29 of 81
10/04/09 30th Annual American Royal Barbecue - Kansas City, MO 256 of 473
09/26/09 Murphysboro Barbecue Cook-Off - Murphysboro, IL 18 of 44
09/19/09 Decatur Jaycees 15th Annual Riverfest - Decatur, AL 15 of 59
09/06/09 Smokin' in Mesquite Nevada Open BBQ Championship - Mesquite, NV 12 of 47
08/16/09 West Coast BBQ Championships (3) - Fairfield, CA 4 of 26
08/15/09 West Coast BBQ Championships (2) - Fairfield, CA 2 of 37
08/14/09 West Coast BBQ Championships (1) - Fairfield, CA 3 of 26
08/01/09 Vista Rod Run & Smokin Q Classic - Vista, CA 6 of 27
07/04/09 Way Out West BBQ Championship - Stockton, CA 1 of 24
06/06/09 Bakersfield's Biggest Baddest BBQ Championship - Bakersfield, CA 1 of 35
05/24/09 Great American Barbeque - Kansas City, KS 2 of 161
05/09/09 Quen' for Kids - Costa Mesa, CA 1 of 33
04/26/09 Sunday Stagecoach Music Festival BBQ Cookoff - Indio, CA 3 of 50
04/25/09 Saturday Stagecoach Music Festival BBQ Cookoff - Indio, CA 7 of 52

So, take it for what it's worth. :wink:

smalls65
03-02-2011, 02:26 PM

I second that!!!! :becky:

leanza
03-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Lets face it....To some, the idea that someone from the west coast could dominate, that consistantly, the way Harry has, just rubs them the wrong way.

How could it be!?

There aint nothing you can do to change their mind, they will not accept Harry's accomplishments.

Scottie
03-02-2011, 02:45 PM
As far as I am concerned it has nothing to do about jealousy or that he is not a good cook. For myself, I will let my record speak for itself and that is cooking across the entire US... It also has nothing to do with dominating California. Vince and Alexa have been doing that for a longer period and they have great respect outside of California and AZ....

Taking America by storm is a quote from a video of his... to do that, get out and cook.

I'll be honest with you. My problems began when he was thinking that the Jack would let him cook the contest, because of Pitmasters. then to lie on your application for the Jack from last year.... i have a real problem with trying to bring down a contest that is so important to me and to a heck of a lot of other cooks. It shows no respect. Hard to give respect when it is not a mutual 2-way street.

Bentley
03-02-2011, 02:56 PM
then to lie on your application for the Jack from last year....

That is a pretty harsh statement, and if the moderators are going to let it stand, will you provide documentation, not conjector, not your theory. But documentation from The Jack that this happened? If not, I think a retraction is in order...

Scottie
03-02-2011, 03:02 PM
did he not withdraw his application last year for not having it filled out properly? The Jack is not in the business to be releasing press releases on all things BBQ.

So to retract? Not a chance. I am not saying anything that has not been public knowledge. Go read his blog if you don't believe me.

I don't think you need to put words in my mouth Bentley. If you have something to say, respond to the PM I sent you. Otherwise, anything that I say on here is public knowledge. This whole nonsense that this is California vs. the World is ridiculous. To get respect, you have to give respect.

Scottie
03-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Comments (0) (http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?p=1225#respond)
September 9, 2010

Slap Yo Daddy BBQ withdraws from the Jack 2010 (http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?p=1219)

Filed under: BBQ Articles ALL (http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?cat=23), BBQ Misc (http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?cat=28), BBQ contests (http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?cat=4) — harry @ 5:31 am
Lynn Shrivers, Head of the IBCA sanctioning body, and I have mutually resolved our miscommunication regarding the qualifying status of the New Mexico contest which we won on June 26, 2010. After careful consideration, Lynn has officially declared that contest as a non-Jack qualifier. I have accepted Lynn’s decision on this matter.
Consequently, the application I submitted for the 2010 Jack Daniels Invitational did not have the 7 GCs needed to qualify for an automatic draw. Lynn has agreed to 1) flag the June 26 results page so it is clear that the NM event was a non-qualifier, 2) establish a process to flag all future contest pages which are deemed non-qualifiers (Jack and Royal) so teams do not misinterpret these official pages, 3) develop procedures so mistakes that occurred at the NM contest can be eliminated or minimized so no team experiences such a situation in the future. These recommendations will restore my confidence in the IBCA sanctioning process. We fully intend to continue our support of the IBCA and participate in their contests.
I’ve spoken to Steve May, JD Director, and Debbie Christian, JD Organizer, to respectfully request my automatic draw application be withdrawn. They have graciously allowed me to do so. We will not be going to the Jack this year.
If you have been supporting us and following our journey the past three years, you will likely have strong emotions to learn what I have decided to do. I ask that you take a deep breath and let it go. There is no need to expend any more energy on this closed matter.
Be assured we will continue our journey forward and make best efforts to earn a spot at the Jack for 2011. Our Focus is intact, our Faith in our ability is strong, and our Fire burns undiminished. We want to wish our fellow California team Daryl Smith of Smitty’s Smoke Patrol the best of luck at the Jack in October.
See you on the trail.
Best, Harry

riblette
03-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Dude, that's nothin'. I was at this contest one time and saw a team that had a banner with their name on it....they even had their own logo and everything...talk about self promoting!

A friend of mine told me some teams even have shirts and hats and stuff made with their names and logos...not sure I believe him, tho. That would be over the top. Ours is a gentle, subtle "sport" ...there's no call for chest thumping. :wink:

rooftop bbq
03-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Comments (0) (http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?p=1225#respond)
September 9, 2010

Slap Yo Daddy BBQ withdraws from the Jack 2010 (http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?p=1219)

Filed under: BBQ Articles ALL (http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?cat=23), BBQ Misc (http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?cat=28), BBQ contests (http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?cat=4) ó harry @ 5:31 am
Lynn Shrivers, Head of the IBCA sanctioning body, and I have mutually resolved our miscommunication regarding the qualifying status of the New Mexico contest which we won on June 26, 2010. After careful consideration, Lynn has officially declared that contest as a non-Jack qualifier. I have accepted Lynnís decision on this matter.
Consequently, the application I submitted for the 2010 Jack Daniels Invitational did not have the 7 GCs needed to qualify for an automatic draw. Lynn has agreed to 1) flag the June 26 results page so it is clear that the NM event was a non-qualifier, 2) establish a process to flag all future contest pages which are deemed non-qualifiers (Jack and Royal) so teams do not misinterpret these official pages, 3) develop procedures so mistakes that occurred at the NM contest can be eliminated or minimized so no team experiences such a situation in the future. These recommendations will restore my confidence in the IBCA sanctioning process. We fully intend to continue our support of the IBCA and participate in their contests.
Iíve spoken to Steve May, JD Director, and Debbie Christian, JD Organizer, to respectfully request my automatic draw application be withdrawn. They have graciously allowed me to do so. We will not be going to the Jack this year.
If you have been supporting us and following our journey the past three years, you will likely have strong emotions to learn what I have decided to do. I ask that you take a deep breath and let it go. There is no need to expend any more energy on this closed matter.
Be assured we will continue our journey forward and make best efforts to earn a spot at the Jack for 2011. Our Focus is intact, our Faith in our ability is strong, and our Fire burns undiminished. We want to wish our fellow California team Daryl Smith of Smittyís Smoke Patrol the best of luck at the Jack in October.
See you on the trail.
Best, Harry

To me it sounds like Harry did the right thing here and didn't lie. He's a great competitor and a stand up guy. If its not right for him to do self promotion then I'll do it for him.

And about him not traveling the Country, I don't see too many midwest or east coast teams coming to the west, flavor profiles are different depending on regions its a fact. He knows what it takes to win out here.

I cant believe this thread started about the cbbqa site trying to help out rookie teams

huminie
03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
What does any of this have to do with Harry, and other veteran CBBQA teams helping out rookie teams by answering their questions? :confused:

Why is it such a bad thing? And if it is not, why are y'all crapping on him over it? It just makes you look like you are bitter.

I am going to continue to learn and ask questions of whomever will answer them from me. I am ready to start having fun competing!

Willie's Smokehouse
03-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Ok, its getting deep and im gonna go put on my rubber boots now. :crazy:

BBQchef33
03-02-2011, 03:50 PM
ok, I think theres been enough back and forth on the SYD history lessons. Its old, its done, and its pretty much :deadhorse::tumbleweed:. What the H does this stuff have to do with a Q&A session.?

The thread, as odd as it is, is to send folks to a Q&A session in another forum. Which personally, I think is odd, because its exaclty what we do here. But... whatever.

please cool the SYD issues.. its just kinda old and has nothing to do with a CBBQA Q&A session.

I think Thom Emery and Big mista are the stars anyway. :)

Bill-Chicago
03-02-2011, 04:04 PM
I think Thom Emery and Big mista are the stars anyway. :)

My wife likes Big Mista.

Bigmista
03-02-2011, 04:21 PM
My wife likes Big Mista.

You're wife has great taste. My wife misses you serenading here in the middle of the night.

swamprb
03-02-2011, 04:40 PM

And if people were looking for Qualifying events instead of TOY points follow SYD's lead and look into PNWBA comps. SYD started the run in Sept. winning GC in Langley, BC Canada. Practically every event is a qualifier. www.pnwba.com (http://www.pnwba.com).

I like the idea of an online Mentoring Program, and it is a good way for cbbqa members to keep their forum lively. I know in PNWBALand, the forum is dead if it were not for a handful of nutz like myself!

But one thing is for sure, there are probably more new teams in the Northwest lurking on this and other sites we've posted links to, because I always get someone saying they saw this or that we did on the Brethren site!

I would not have been as successful if it were not from Brethren mentoring!

RangerJ
03-02-2011, 05:14 PM
I don't see too many midwest or east coast teams coming to the west, flavor profiles are different depending on regions its a fact. He knows what it takes to win out here.

I like Harry, so I'll not continue down that path, but in 2009 when the points were real tight, the east coast and mid west teams did travel west and did apparently knew what it took to win.

Pulte 11/14/2009

1. Iowa's Smokey D's
2. Sweet Peppers
3. Pellet Envy
4. Butchers BBQ
5. McFrankenboo
6. Sin City Smokers
7. I smell smoke
8. Texs smokehouse
9. All Hogs go to Heaven
10.RnQ
11. It Aint Prime
12. toys 4 BBQn
13. Otis and the Bird
14. Arizona Kid
15. pork pullin plowboys

Tempe 12/09

1. Pellet Envy
2. RnQ
3. I smell smoke
4. Sweet Peppers
5. Iowas Smokey D's
7. Otis and the Bird
8. Smoked to the Bone
9. Notley Que
10. McFrankenboo

In the first event thats 6 teams in the top 15 and in the second thats 3 in the top 10.

As for me, I'll take 6GC's regardless of when or where and certainly have no dog in this fight. I'm challenging the neighbors kid to a cook off...

JiveTurkey
03-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Jive Turkey, Hmmmmmm.

I once knew a guy from those parts, pretty good feller and Great cook.

Think I'll run into him on Sat next.

Oh by the by, SYD did ok in national comp and Kali last year. Been pretty kind to me too. Never charged a dime. Must be a charity?:confused:

Mark

Hey Mark! See you this weekend at the CBJ class! Can't wait!

deepsouth
03-02-2011, 08:17 PM
i don't really know what this thread is about, but i think it's ok and even good that there is more than one bbq forum on this planet.

cheers&peace

*tink tink*

bigdogphin
03-02-2011, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=swamprb;1565659]And if people were looking for Qualifying events instead of TOY points follow SYD's lead and look into PNWBA comps. SYD started the run in Sept. winning GC in Langley, BC Canada. Practically every event is a qualifier. www.pnwba.com (http://www.pnwba.com/).

I dont think anyone wants to cook up here in the rain!

I know in PNWBALand, the forum is dead if it were not for a handful of nutz like myself!

Yes, you are nutz! :) and we need more action in PNWBALand. Know anyone on the board?

I clicked on the link for the CBBQA and it seemed like a good idea for their site.

big brother smoke
03-02-2011, 09:26 PM
1st day of spring is 3/20 :pray:

BBQchef33
03-02-2011, 10:07 PM
negative/offtopic posts after my request have been deleted.

Anyone decides to post on the SYD stuff again gets 7 days in the brink..

(That means a 7 day ban. )

Crash
03-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Tempe 12/09

1. Pellet Envy
2. RnQ
3. I smell smoke
4. Sweet Peppers
5. Iowas Smokey D's
7. Otis and the Bird
8. Smoked to the Bone
9. Notley Que
10. McFrankenboo

Otis and the Bird finished 6th in this one dude.:-D

Mrs. McFrankenboo
03-03-2011, 10:26 PM
I like Harry, so I'll not continue down that path, but in 2009 when the points were real tight, the east coast and mid west teams did travel west and did apparently knew what it took to win.

Pulte 11/14/2009

1. Iowa's Smokey D's
2. Sweet Peppers
3. Pellet Envy
4. Butchers BBQ
5. McFrankenboo
6. Sin City Smokers
7. I smell smoke
8. Texs smokehouse
9. All Hogs go to Heaven
10.RnQ
11. It Aint Prime
12. toys 4 BBQn
13. Otis and the Bird
14. Arizona Kid
15. pork pullin plowboys

Tempe 12/09

1. Pellet Envy
2. RnQ
3. I smell smoke
4. Sweet Peppers
5. Iowas Smokey D's
7. Otis and the Bird
8. Smoked to the Bone
9. Notley Que
10. McFrankenboo

We finished Top 10 in both so I'm just saying that all of you in the midwest better watch out! LOL! :laugh:

We live in Arizona now and anytime anyone says anything about either state, everyone gets very defensive very quickly and, in my opinion, takes things the wrong way and picks fights. If it is such a big deal, then those being "attacked" should get on here and defend. Just get out there and let your cooking do the talking. The West has alienated themselves, partly due to geography, and then slams teams when they want you to come out and prove yourselves in the Midwest (generally considered the mecca of BBQ...along with TX or TN or the South so don't yell at me!). Quite a few of the top teams have ventured out West and have done well, so they flavor profiles aren't radically different. Anyway, now I'm ranting...

Scottie
03-03-2011, 10:33 PM
So you just like me for my Harpoon? ;)

Actually very well said Erin. Can't wait for you guys to get to the midwest. It will be the SW loss and our gain. Plus you have a cool dog. ;)

We finished Top 10 in both so I'm just saying that all of you in the midwest better watch out! LOL! :laugh:

We live in Arizona now and anytime anyone says anything about either state, everyone gets very defensive very quickly and, in my opinion, takes things the wrong way and picks fights. If it is such a big deal, then those being "attacked" should get on here and defend. Just get out there and let your cooking do the talking. The West has alienated themselves, partly due to geography, and then slams teams when they want you to come out and prove yourselves in the Midwest (generally considered the mecca of BBQ...along with TX or TN or the South so don't yell at me!). Quite a few of the top teams have ventured out West and have done well, so they flavor profiles aren't radically different. Anyway, now I'm ranting...