PDA

View Full Version : Wagyu...brisket of course....

wormdrink67
02-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Due to the drastic increase in Snake River Farm's price they require for a decent sized brisket, I was wondering if any of you that cook with them could tell me a better place to get wagyu briskets. As is, I would be paying almost $200 per 17lb brisket if I continue to buy from SRF. I'd rather not pay that much if at all possible....it's somewhat ridiculous. Thanks.

crd26a
02-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Buy a deep freeze, turn it into wet age cabinet using a temp controller, buy prime, wet age, freeze.

Repeast steps as necessary.

sitnfat
02-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Just get your brisket from Wally world works for me Waygu has a funny taste to me

YellowSuge
02-26-2011, 01:41 AM
The only other place I can think of is Paradise Meats. Shipping is a bit pricey though.

Lakeside Smoker
02-26-2011, 05:26 AM
... As is, I would be paying almost $200 per 17lb brisket if I continue to buy from SRF. I'd rather not pay that much if at all possible....it's somewhat ridiculous. Thanks.

Is shipping that expensive at SRF? I've never bought anything there so I'm seriously asking. They have 17-20lbs briskets listed at $95.

-Mike

goodbuddiesbbq
02-26-2011, 06:20 AM
The BBQ Czar is buying them (delivered) at $5 a pound. I have a very good connection through my food distribution company in Florida. If you have any business in Florida or anywhere close...I could through the "BBQ Less Than Load" transportation services possibly help.

What I mean is...we have been able to buy some...give them to a friend who is going to Georgia, who meets somebody that is going to Arizona and there you go.

That takes some coordinating, but it works. I'm buying em in the 16-20lb range and have had a lot of success. However, as mentioned previously...they can tend to run bitter from time to time. I have found that the pan drippings can be overly oily as well.

With that being said...when you hit a good piece...it has dusted our best CAB and or Prime briz scores.

Let me know if you have a connection to the south and I may be able to assist you.

The BBQ Czar

wormdrink67
02-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Is shipping that expensive at SRF? I've never bought anything there so I'm seriously asking. They have 17-20lbs briskets listed at $95.

-Mike

Yes, they are that expensive. The price they want for the brisket has not necessarily changed, but when you go to check out, SRF regulars will note their shipping cost has more than doubled. I assume this is due to the fact that they've gotten wise to how many are using their product on the bbq circuit and have decided to charge more....a lot more....The same goes for the their kurobota ribs, they only want $11 for the rack, but the shipping cost brings that total to around $60.

musicmanryann
02-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Unfortunately, my brisket guy is on lock-down for competition BBQ teams, otherwise I would send you his contact info. He actually told me that he talked with a couple of other producers in Nebraska and Kansas who are low on briskets with high demand and they said this is national issue. I call it the 'BBQ Pitmasters Effect'. The problem is simple really--for every cow you produce you only get TWO briskets, but many roasts, steaks and burgers. In order to keep up with demand you have to sell all the roasts, steaks and burgers before you can increase production for briskets. SRF has been able to keep prices relatively low because they are a relatively large producer with a national distribution chain, but I'm guessing from their exposure sponsoring Myron and Tuffy, their demand for briskets is way up and they are beginning to get strained.

Additionally, shipping prices go up on UPS and FedEx's end when fuel prices go up--so paying a lot and paying more for shipping is a reality we are all going to have to bear in the present and in to the future.

Any brethren want to help me ($) get a Wagyu ranch going here in Central Iowa? :wink::laugh:

That being said, I would try paradise locker, as well as Strube Ranch (Lotta Bull perfect 180 Jack brisket). To see if you can get what you want.

Hope this helps!

4 smokin butts
02-26-2011, 12:29 PM
cant sell pork collars anymore they got to make it up somewhere.......just went to web put in 1 12-14 brisket with the disc code [srfbbq] for the loyle customers , 15%off....and now 71.00 shipping,3 weeks ago 25.00.....they lost my loyalty just a note we just ordered 3 from texas 3.50 per lb 62.44 shiping look nice,havent tried um yet. talked to 2 of the top teams, they were no longer using them do to price and quality going down hill in last 6 months

swamprb
02-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Go to the source: http://www.wagyu.org/ click on the Premium Sites logos and start contacting. Snake River Farms is not the only game in town.

I've never cooked SRF, so I can't offer any input. I don't think I would ever do mail order meats in the first place. Have this control issue with my meats...

The ones I have used are Mishima Ranch (Flats) http://www.mishimaranch.com/product.html
and KBA (packers) http://www.kobe-beef.com/

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/IMG_1798.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/IMG_2025.jpg

I end up with a lot of trim for burgers.

Diva Q
02-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Strube Ranch.
http://www.struberanch.com/

swamprb
02-26-2011, 01:06 PM
cant sell pork collars anymore they got to make it up somewhere.......just went to web put in 1 12-14 brisket with the disc code [srfbbq] for the loyle customers , 15%off....and now 71.00 shipping,3 weeks ago 25.00.....they lost my loyalty just a note we just ordered 3 from texas 3.50 per lb 62.44 shiping look nice,havent tried um yet. talked to 2 of the top teams, they were no longer using them do to price and quality going down hill in last 6 months

I have a feeling the CT Butts/pork collar trim will get some revamping to appeal to the consumers and the KCBS board will have to pull their heads out of their a$$es and recognize that.

I'll be paying more than last season for Wagyu, but my butchers got some beautiful Oregon Country Natural brisket flats that are calling my name....
http://www.countrynaturalbeef.com/

HBMTN
02-26-2011, 04:06 PM
I don't taste ANY price difference in a CAB vs Wagu brisket. I am sure that most judges the tent can't either. Fact is the most of the ones who pay the money for a Wagu could cook a brick and make it taste good. A farkin $200 SRF brisket is not the key to win. I would like to see a poll on here for those who have a 1st place win in brisket and what type brisket they cooked to win it.

WhiskeyBentBBQ
02-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Our local supplier cuts us a great price on SRF so that is a nice luxury. We have actually went back to cooking CAB tho and are happy with the results. Over the last year we have won brisket 4 times. 2 with CAB and 2 with Waygu. I would rather cook two great CAB's instead of 1 Waygu.

Don't let that fool ya tho....ol' Smokin' Cracker has been on fire down here with brisket and he only cooks the finest SRF briskets. If they won't touch down in Sebring and come off the back of a G6, they don't make it on his Spicewine!

goodbuddiesbbq
02-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Last year we won Brisket 4 times for the year...not bad...our first year as "pros''?

3 - Wagyu (Bigger scores when it is "on", less category calls)
1 - CAB (More consistent scores, less big scores)

Here is the interesting part...we never took 2nd or 3rd a single time.

Like I said before...for us it is all or nothing with Wagyu...it is either loved or not by the judges. My personal opinion is that CAB or Prime aged is safer, but when a Wagyu hits big for us we won the competition last year.

It has actually confused us at times to where we were cooking two briskets CAB and Wagyu and that is way too expensive.

Hope that confuses you more than ever. Right now...we aren't sure what we are cooking two weekends from now.

My opinion...try a Wagyu, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't taste "right"...you may get a bad draw. Try them (at home) until you have tasted a very good one and you'll know what I'm talking about. I hope that your first one tastes great so that you don't have to incur the costs.

Then evaluate the risk...Wagyu is the pretty prom date that wants to go as friends. However, she wants to drink for the first time that night...you never know...I'll see you all at the Wood Pile.

Capn Kev
02-26-2011, 06:48 PM
I cooked Wagyu twice last year. I also cooked choice CABs at those same contests to see how they would stack up. I ended up going with the CAB in one of the contests because it tasted better and yielded better tenderness. When I cooked with my buddy Jay Wolf at the Jack last year, we cooked two really nice CABs. The one we turned in took 4th, and scored a 174+ if I remember correctly.

I just priced out 4 SNF briskets. Shipped to my door, they would have cost $512 bucks. Sorry, but I just can't justify that cost at this point. If it was so much better and could consistently give me a leg up on the competition, I would consider it.

Just my $.02

Brewer
02-26-2011, 07:57 PM
I have a feeling the CT Butts/pork collar trim will get some revamping to appeal to the consumers and the KCBS board will have to pull their heads out of their a$$es and recognize that.

I'll be paying more than last season for Wagyu, but my butchers got some beautiful Oregon Country Natural brisket flats that are calling my name....

I'm all over that :thumb: You have a bitchen butcher!

Butcher BBQ
02-26-2011, 08:52 PM
We had 5 First places, 5 Second places, and 5 Third places last year and only cooked Angus Choice briskets.

4 smokin butts
02-26-2011, 09:40 PM
all right so how much to send me 2 cases of brisket???does my butcher ship?? im in

Finney
02-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Sam's has Angus Packers these days...
Cooking one tomorrow...

swamprb
02-26-2011, 11:17 PM
We cooked Wagyu the majority of our events, 5 First Place, 3 Second Place, 2 Third Place, 3 Top 10 and the lowest we scored was 17th at Whistler BC and 31st at the Jack.
2 of the First Place were CAB. Only reason we cooked the Kobe was I was getting it cheaper than CAB.

Butcher BBQ Brisket Marinade and Prime Dust took our scores from the cellar to stellar with whatever we cooked!

Capn Kev
02-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Only reason we cooked the Kobe was I was getting it cheaper than CAB.

I want to meet that butcher! Perhaps you can ship me a case out here in CO if you can find it cheaper than CAB. :thumb::becky:

Scottie
02-27-2011, 10:46 AM
KCBSneeds to pull heads out of ass? I beg to differ. The cut is not recognized in US. The small percentage, if we even register ad a percentage you really think the Pork Board is going to change? Why don't BBQ cooks take their heads out of their asses and quite cheating, yes it was cheating and learn how to cook the 3 recognized meats that KCBS allows? Teams need to quit trying to find an easy way to cook BBQ and learn how to cook it. If you (not you personally) don't like the rules, go cook IBCA and you wont gave to worry about cooking pork. Otherwise I am tired of hearing this crap. Accept the rules as they break written. Board has ruled and they once again gave the 3 cuts that are allowed. No matter how folks want to defend it, the pork collar is not a butt. It is loin, of white pork meat that is surrounded by dark meat. Illegal!

JD McGee
02-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Goin' local this year...:thumb:

http://www.westvalleybeef.com/_borders/wvbeeflogo.gif (http://www.westvalleybeef.com/)

CBQ
02-27-2011, 01:10 PM
We have cooked with both Wagyu and the RD Angus, and done well with both. I prefer the taste of the Waygu, and I tend to end up with better cuts from SRF, even though I can pick through the stuff at RD.

That said, I find the new $80 shipping for the 17+ pound brisket shocking :shocked:, and I don't see us buying any more of those.

wormdrink67
02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
That said, I find the new $80 shipping for the 17+ pound brisket shocking :shocked:, and I don't see us buying any more of those.

Couldn't agree with you more. They need to understand that if i pay them nearly $200 for the brisket, by the time I use injection, rub, etc. I'd have to place 3rd or higher to see any return in what I've spent just on the meat. I know it's not about the money, and there's no point in trying to make a living off competition winnings alone, but that's just an outrageous cost.

I'm all about wagyu, and every brisket we got from SRF was of outstanding quality. However, I feel they are taking advantage of an area of their service that will not stand for being taken advantage of. I'm just gonna ask everyone I know not to buy from SRF until they drop the ridiculous shipping price to something reasonable. I know for a fact that it does not cost them that much to ship me a brisket, regardless of poundage.

wormdrink67
02-27-2011, 07:51 PM
KCBSneeds to pull heads out of ass? I beg to differ. The cut is not recognized in US. The small percentage, if we even register ad a percentage you really think the Pork Board is going to change? Why don't BBQ cooks take their heads out of their asses and quite cheating, yes it was cheating and learn how to cook the 3 recognized meats that KCBS allows? Teams need to quit trying to find an easy way to cook BBQ and learn how to cook it. If you (not you personally) don't like the rules, go cook IBCA and you wont gave to worry about cooking pork. Otherwise I am tired of hearing this crap. Accept the rules as they break written. Board has ruled and they once again gave the 3 cuts that are allowed. No matter how folks want to defend it, the pork collar is not a butt. It is loin, of white pork meat that is surrounded by dark meat. Illegal!

You are exactly right, and to me, it's all about the ability to cook what's accepted to the best of your ability. Ron Harwell (kcbs rep) talked at a recent judging class about how there is probably going to be some inspection changes due to the increased # of teams trying to sneak pork collars on the smoker. I hate that a few are going to make it tougher on all of us, the last thing I need during a competition is to be put through the ringer about what cut of pork I'm cooking. I've never understood how someone can sleep at night knowing that they won anything by cheating.

Brewer
02-27-2011, 11:23 PM

Just to make sure I'm clear.....You're ok buying a new pellet popper or ceramic cooker with the latest guru or stoker to cook your meat, but you demand strict tradition in the cuts of meat approved for cooking?

I like the collar trim butt. At 4.5lbs a piece, I can cook 6 of them in the same amount of space that I can cook 4 avg. boneless shoulders. I also like that I get more surface area of bark vs. typical butts and I can buy them for around $20 in Birkshire. I happen to believe that the CT butt is a true butt - or at least a smller section of the true butt. It's certainly as traditional as your pellet popper :becky:

The problem they have is their weight. At 4.5lbs they're short of minimum which makes them illegal today in KCBS.

Butcher BBQ
02-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Just to make sure I'm clear.....You're ok buying a new pellet popper or ceramic cooker with the latest guru or stoker to cook your meat, but you demand strict tradition in the cuts of meat approved for cooking?

I like the collar trim butt. At 4.5lbs a piece, I can cook 6 of them in the same amount of space that I can cook 4 avg. boneless shoulders. I also like that I get more surface area of bark vs. typical butts and I can buy them for around $20 in Birkshire. I happen to believe that the CT butt is a true butt - or at least a smller section of the true butt. It's certainly as traditional as your pellet popper :becky:

The problem they have is their weight. At 4.5lbs they're short of minimum which makes them illegal today in KCBS.

Thats not correct, in the recent BOD meeting the adopted the same description of what a whole pork shoulder, picnic, and pork butt is in accordance with the National Pork Council. The pork collar is NOT in that description. So the size means nothing anymore. The muscles that were being left on for that cut is what the real problem not just the size.

Jeff_in_KC
02-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Difference... the things you mention are legal. Pork collar is not.

Jeff_in_KC
02-28-2011, 08:33 AM
2010... Three firsts, three seconds and four thirds in brisket... all of them Waygu and cooked only ONE brisket each time out.

Scottie
02-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Difference... the things you mention are legal. Pork collar is not.

Sometimes responses just aren't even worth the time Jeff. If folks like to keep blinders on and feel they can cheat, so be it. Pellets have been legal for over 10 years and I guarantee you as long as the KCBS President is a pellethead, nothing will be changing. But if folks want to think I am cheating g, so be it. It's not like its the only pits I have are pellet.....

YankeeBBQ
02-28-2011, 09:03 AM
It's certainly as traditional as your pellet popper :becky:

:hand:Where in his post did he talk about tradition ? He was talking about the rules. He's not cheating using a guru or pellet pooper but anyone who cooked or is planning to cook a pork collar in a kcbs contest is a cheat.

luckyduk
02-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Due to the drastic increase in Snake River Farm's price they require for a decent sized brisket, I was wondering if any of you that cook with them could tell me a better place to get wagyu briskets. As is, I would be paying almost $200 per 17lb brisket if I continue to buy from SRF. I'd rather not pay that much if at all possible....it's somewhat ridiculous. Thanks.

Hear is the question if anyone cannot remember!!

I think that poor pork collar has been beaten severely by now :clap2:

Scottie
02-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Heck yeah... SRF has to make up for the loss of sales in pork collar, so the folks that buy briskets are going to pay. Simple economics... ;)

Hear is the question if anyone cannot remember!!

I think that poor pork collar has been beaten severely by now :clap2:

JD McGee
02-28-2011, 10:41 AM
How did this go from a brisket thread to a pork collar thread to a tradition questioning thread in the matter of a few posts? Freaky!

On topic...I plan to use the best brisket I can find locally...

Scottie
02-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Talk to your former teammate ....

I'll stick with CAB or prime. Wont pay shipping. No sense when the majority of contests you are lucky to recoup and money spent on mail order wagyu.

JD McGee
02-28-2011, 12:28 PM
,ot sure exactly what point swamprb is trying to make...but I know for a fact that we (Brian and I) never cooked any pork butts under 5 lbs...the only Berkshire butts we cooked were labled as such and were over 5 lbs...and it was for only one comp...after that we changed meat suppliers. Our PNWBA judges inspected our meats before each and every comp to ensure we were in compliance with the rules. As I was the "pork" guy...I guarandamntee you we were playing by the rules...
JD

CBQ
02-28-2011, 12:47 PM
To see the new shipping, you have to pick each product and start the checkout process. Shipping to RI it shapes up like this:

11-14 pound brisket: $70 + $55 shipping
14-17 pound brisket: $80 + $60 shipping
17+ pound brisket: $95 + $80 shipping

Last year I was paying $88 for 17 pound briskets delivered.

Brewer
02-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Thats not correct, in the recent BOD meeting the adopted the same description of what a whole pork shoulder, picnic, and pork butt is in accordance with the National Pork Council. The pork collar is NOT in that description. So the size means nothing anymore. The muscles that were being left on for that cut is what the real problem not just the size.

Agree it's not in the formal description - my point is that it should be.

landarc
02-28-2011, 02:06 PM
To see the new shipping, you have to pick each product and start the checkout process. Shipping to RI it shapes up like this:

That would have to be some pretty impressive packing and handling.

Brewer
02-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Sometimes responses just aren't even worth the time Jeff. If folks like to keep blinders on and feel they can cheat, so be it. Pellets have been legal for over 10 years and I guarantee you as long as the KCBS President is a pellethead, nothing will be changing. But if folks want to think I am cheating g, so be it. It's not like its the only pits I have are pellet.....

Whoa.. hold on... I'm advocating the legal use of the CT Butt not the illegal use of the CT Butt (which constitutes cheating).

My point here is that you are fine with using alternative (non-traditional) forms of cooking equipment, but you're adamantly against using any alternative (non-traditional) forms of meat. This sounds hypocritical.

I don't consider using a pellet popper cheating - I'm just surprised to hear someone using one so strongly criticizing the use of a non-traditional cut of meat.

roksmith
02-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Holy briskets batman!! At $10 per pound.. I could maybe afford to cook one for competition, but certainly couldn't afford to practice with them.
I'll take my $2.25 primes and cook 5 of them for that price!!

wormdrink67
02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Holy briskets batman!! At $10 per pound.. I could maybe afford to cook one for competition, but certainly couldn't afford to practice with them.
I'll take my $2.25 primes and cook 5 of them for that price!!

Couldn't agree with you more. Such a shame, because they have a great product, they've just become too proud of it....

wormdrink67
02-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Though some of this has gotten way, way off topic, I think it's important to recollect on just how quickly trends come and go. I'm just going to say that if the bod's decided to allow teams to cook CT's, it would be all the rage for a few seasons, much the same as wagyu briskets have become all the rage over the past couple of years, yet there is still no proven factor in consistent winning with them. Some are using them, some aren't.

When I'm able to put a boston butt that I'm happy with on the judging table, I'll also put it up against any CT, any.

Scottie
02-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Let's re-think this...

Pellet cookers are legal and are in the RULES as being legal.

Pork collars are ILLEGAL and the board has ruled on that.

So what point are you trying to make? This has NOTHING to do with tradition.

I cook on a stick burner anyway..... so to say I am
Hypocritical is a slap in my face. Go read the damn rules.

Whoa.. hold on... I'm advocating the legal use of the CT Butt not the illegal use of the CT Butt (which constitutes cheating).

My point here is that you are fine with using alternative (non-traditional) forms of cooking equipment, but you're adamantly against using any alternative (non-traditional) forms of meat. This sounds hypocritical.

I don't consider using a pellet popper cheating - I'm just surprised to hear someone using one so strongly criticizing the use of a non-traditional cut of meat.

Brewer
02-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Let's re-think this...

Pellet cookers are legal and are in the RULES as being legal.

Pork collars are ILLEGAL and the board has ruled on that.

So what point are you trying to make? This has NOTHING to do with tradition.

I cook on a stick burner anyway..... so to say I am
Hypocritical is a slap in my face. Go read the damn rules.

Nuff said - this is becoming counter-productive and I can't make my point any clearer. We don't disagree on the current rules - we differ on whether or not CT Butts should be allowed. To that end, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :tape:

DawgPhan
03-01-2011, 10:16 AM
you left coast folks are thick as thieves.

JD McGee
03-01-2011, 11:08 AM
you left coast folks are thick as thieves.

???...I'm a left coast kinda guy...but have no idea how thick a thief is...LOL!

wormdrink67
03-01-2011, 11:19 AM
For those of you that care about SRF briskets or whatever other products you may get from there, I got on their facebook page and let them have it over the cost increase. About 10 minutes ago, they sent me a message apologizing for the cost increase and told me they'd give me 15% off all purchases this year by entering the code "SRFBBQ"....any of you that care to purchase from SRF, make sure you enter that code at checkout.

musicmanryann
03-01-2011, 11:25 AM
For those of you that care about SRF briskets or whatever other products you may get from there, I got on their facebook page and let them have it over the cost increase. About 10 minutes ago, they sent me a message apologizing for the cost increase and told me they'd give me 15% off all purchases this year by entering the code "SRFBBQ"....any of you that care to purchase from SRF, make sure you enter that code at checkout.

You did let em have it.:becky: Way to be the squeaky wheel! :thumb:

big brother smoke
03-01-2011, 11:37 AM

Damn skippy! That was a good post :thumb:

luckyduk
03-01-2011, 12:41 PM
No kidding :clap2:

"current market conditions" they claim.......why can you buy one from other places for less.......I am thinking supply in demand

warren.miller
03-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Where is the best place to get one from??

wormdrink67
03-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Strube Ranch (recommended to me by Diva Q) priced me wagyu briskets for $4.50lb minus shipping cost...but their shipping was only $12.50 per brisket, compared to $80 from srf.

big brother smoke
03-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Strube quoted me $5 per lb. brisky and $50 ship.

SRF I got a 14-17lb brisky and $43 ship charge

wormdrink67
03-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Strube quoted me $5 per lb. brisky and $50 ship.

SRF I got a 14-17lb brisky and $43 ship charge

I should've mentioned that I was in a 2 day shipping range, which is why mine was only $12 per brisket. If you're outside of that, they may have to ship overnight which would drastically increase the cost.

I don't understand the $5 per lb though, I just ordered one today at $4.50 per lb....

High Q
03-01-2011, 08:27 PM
For anybody in Houston, you can buy a Waygu brisket at Pete's Fine Meats on Richmond. Last I was in there they were 5.99/pound. CAB was 3.99 if I remember right.

Jeff_in_KC
03-02-2011, 12:58 AM
How did this go from a brisket thread to a pork collar thread to a tradition questioning thread in the matter of a few posts? Freaky!

Brethren MAGIC! :thumb:

Zombie Barbecue
03-02-2011, 06:36 PM
"...Wagyu is the pretty prom date that wants to go as friends. However, she wants to drink for the first time that night...you never know...I'll see you all at the Wood Pile."

Well said my friend. We've cooked with wagyu from snake river and it was damn good, I mean DAMN GOOD. but you gotta look at the history of bbq and see that it still holds true. BBQ was formed by taking the crappy cuts and turning em into gold, and I firmly believe that is still true. A CAB brisket, when done right can challenge any wagyu brisket out there. It all comes down to the cook.

So instead of paying lots of money to take that hot prom date that only wants to be friends and may or may not get tanked...I say always bet on the ugly one that will show you a helluva time! :amen:

Muzzlebrake
03-02-2011, 06:52 PM
"...Wagyu is the pretty prom date that wants to go as friends. However, she wants to drink for the first time that night...you never know...I'll see you all at the Wood Pile."

Well said my friend. We've cooked with wagyu from snake river and it was damn good, I mean DAMN GOOD. but you gotta look at the history of bbq and see that it still holds true. BBQ was formed by taking the crappy cuts and turning em into gold, and I firmly believe that is still true. A CAB brisket, when done right can challenge any wagyu brisket out there. It all comes down to the cook.

So instead of paying lots of money to take that hot prom date that only wants to be friends and may or may not get tanked...I say always bet on the ugly one that will show you a helluva time! :amen:

wow!!! there is some wisdom in that!

I like to think of waygu more as a Mark McGuire,...... better because it has been using legal supplement and natural hard work. :becky:It might break a few records over its relative short career but people will always think "yeah but......."

pork collars, now they're a Canseco....:becky:

AZScott
03-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Does anyone know how a prime angus brisket cooks up compared to a wagyu? I'm looking for options since I've decided not to play SRF's game.

wormdrink67
03-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Does anyone know how a prime angus brisket cooks up compared to a wagyu? I'm looking for options since I've decided not to play SRF's game.

I noticed that you're in AZ. I would definitely call Strube ranch and try their wagyu. You should be within 2 day shipping range, making the price for shipping around $12 per brisket, plus $4.50 per lb. I ordered a 17.25 lb brisket from them today, it cost just over $100. I'm willing to pay that for wagyu.

The number for strube is (903)-856-5768

We're cooking the one I ordered on sunday, I'll let you know how it turns out.

AZScott
03-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Interesting. I've found a source here but they aren't packers. Thanks for the tip.

JD McGee
03-02-2011, 09:33 PM
We have cooked select cut (Ranchers Reserve) alongside wagyu...we turned in the RR and took a 1st place briskey...it ain't the meat...:cool:

Rub
03-02-2011, 09:48 PM
I usually cook CABs and do pretty well. Lately the best I can find locally is IBP Choice. We'll see how these $40 pieces of meat do this weekend against the $200 fancy-shmansy stuff. :boxing:

WhiskeyBentBBQ
03-02-2011, 09:59 PM
I usually cook CABs and do pretty well. Lately the best I can find locally is IBP Choice. We'll see how these $40 pieces of meat do this weekend against the $200 fancy-shmansy stuff. :boxing:

I am sure a brisket master like yourself will turn those Choice Packers into a winner! Good luck this weekend!

roksmith
03-03-2011, 05:42 AM

I like to think of waygu more as a Mark McGuire,...... better because it has been using legal supplement and natural hard work. :becky:It might break a few records over its relative short career but people will always think "yeah but......."

Ummm dude?

McGuire juiced his butt off for most of his career.. so probably not a good analogy.
Just sayin'

smokincracker
03-03-2011, 10:29 AM

Hmmmm good luck buddy

smokincracker
03-03-2011, 10:31 AM
pleeeding the 5th on this one....

Sawdustguy
03-03-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm offering 50 cents to anyone that wants to make a phone call to somebody who actually gives a chit about any of this non-sense.

You compete with what you can legally compete with, move on and behave like adults.

wormdrink67
03-03-2011, 05:20 PM
It's kinda funny that someone is going to b!tch about the rest of us b!tching....brings you down to our level.

Muzzlebrake
03-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Ummm dude?

McGuire juiced his butt off for most of his career.. so probably not a good analogy.
Just sayin'

which was legal, or at minimum wasn't banned by his sanctioning body....

waygu is legal by all definitions. Does it give a competitor a distinct advantage?that, like steriods is the heart of the debate.

waygu is a Mark Mcguire... :thumb:

thank you very much, I think you just demonstrated the "yeah but" that I was talking about..........:becky:

Maddog's
03-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Ain't that the truth!

Hoosier Chef
03-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Read this whole thread. I'm exhausted....:crazy:

So, if a wagyu and the best non-wagyu available were sitting on a table and both were free....which one would you pick up and throw on your pit? Is it purely a cost discussion and return on investment or do you prefer not to cook wagyu?

Sawdustguy
03-04-2011, 09:26 AM
It's kinda funny that someone is going to b!tch about the rest of us b!tching....brings you down to our level.

You have to admit though that this whole discussion has become taken a turn for the worse. It is what it is.

Meat Burner
03-04-2011, 08:49 PM
I am disappointed in how this thread developed so maybe we can discuss more points relative to the original post. Cannot offer any help on a supplier for wagu brisket. Have wanted to try one, but the cost has bothered me. We are going to order some prime grade (we are thining about $4.00 lb) for an April comp and see if we notice a difference. Kinda compromise on the price points and our local meat guy can order them anytime. Would love to try a wagu sometime though just to see.

Smokedelic
03-04-2011, 11:43 PM
I am disappointed in how this thread developed so maybe we can discuss more points relative to the original post. Cannot offer any help on a supplier for wagu brisket. Have wanted to try one, but the cost has bothered me. We are going to order some prime grade (we are thining about $4.00 lb) for an April comp and see if we notice a difference. Kinda compromise on the price points and our local meat guy can order them anytime. Would love to try a wagu sometime though just to see.
Though not sure how far this has gotten off topic from the original post, the KEY point remains....learn to cook a decent cut of properly seasoned brisket perfectly, and it will beat almost any brisket out there, almost every time. Personally...I'll leave the designer cuts to those that feel they lack the ability to cook an "ordinary" brisket perfectly.:thumb:

Brewer
03-05-2011, 12:21 AM

Haha, now that's damn funny... :thumb:

Capn Kev
03-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Let's get this thread back on task. First, Wagyu brisket is not a special cut. It's a different breed. So, I just wanted to clear that up. It's legal. Unlike Pork Collar cuts of pork. :-D

Second, if you are looking for alternate sources, you can find them. I did a little research and found a source that can provide high quality Wagyu for a lot less than what SNF is asking. Also, the source is within my "range" where I can pick it up directly...saving the shipping cost.

Personally, I'm not planning to use Wagyu, because the return on investment just doesn't justify itself as compared to Choice+ CAB briskets. However, for those still ordering from SRF, I suggest you look for alternate sources, so SRF doesn't end up monopolizing the market. The provider I spoke with could provide 8+ grade Wagyu for $4/lb.

Good luck!

JD McGee
03-05-2011, 07:37 PM
I have it on good authority that Big Poppa's Smoker's has something in the works concerning Wagyu Briskets...:becky:

wormdrink67
03-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Smokedelic: I can cook any brisket laid in front of me perfectly. Period. However, I choose wagyu because it's better beef. Period. Knowing how to cook it perfectly takes just as much talent/ability as cooking a "ordinary" brisket.

YellowSuge
03-05-2011, 10:40 PM
I have it on good authority that Big Poppa's Smoker's has something in the works concerning Wagyu Briskets...:becky:

:thumb:

Muzzlebrake
03-06-2011, 08:41 AM
The provider I spoke with could provide 8+ grade Wagyu for $4/lb.

Good luck!

what about a 15-18? where there any of those available? the ones that I size I found were like $16/lb. For that much, Its not worth it to me, for competition or for home consumption. I can buy a whole bunch of dry aged prime steak for that kind of money.

I don't think that people realize, many of the people that are cooking designer breeds are pretty damn good cooks to start with. They all know how to cook brisket. It might be the right "tweak" that gives a very good cook that little bit of an edge, it sure as hell isn't the magic bullet that will guarantee victory.

Rub
03-06-2011, 07:16 PM
My $40 choice brisket came in 2nd, beating out the $150 delivered Waygus. I've got to give props to Butcher's BBQ and his brisket injection - good stuff :thumb:

Maddog's
03-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I loves me sum Butchers
Now, if I could just cook the damned beef, right

pigmaker23
03-06-2011, 11:22 PM
News Flash.... After reading down this entire post, what is the one thing missing from the discussion? The end result.. The entire purpose of cooking barbeque low and slow, (especially brisket) is to take an undesirable cut of meat and render it tender and moist using your skills of fire control, seasoning and overall knowledge. I do believe that starting out with the best cut of meat that you can afford is step one. I am fortunate to have my briskets sponsored. We have won using every type of beef out there, from a Walmart Packer to CAB prime to Creekstone Natural prior to going exclusively with our sponsor, Brandt Beef. A Magic Bullet Brand ? I don't think so. Consistancy ? Yes. Landing on the right table? Yes. :-P

ThomEmery
03-07-2011, 07:40 AM
http://www.samsclub.com:80/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1510748

Big Poppas Meat Locker will be open soon

Brandt Beef Prime, Nice Product

wormdrink67
03-15-2011, 03:17 PM
So, big poppa's wants to charge me $134 for a 16lb brisket (that's 2 day shipping)....when strube wasn't even busting the $100 mark for a 17lb brisket. Seems to me as though people really enjoy making money hand over fist while trying to convince others of what a great thing they're doing. Back to SRF for me and mine....