PDA

View Full Version : Austin, Tx- Here I come

---k---
02-25-2011, 11:15 AM
I got a business trip Austin next week. My co-worker who will be travelling with me has already agreed to eat BBQ each of the three nights we're going to be there and probably a lunch or two too. :-D

Can I get some recommendations for Austin? We'll be working at UT during the day, but am more than willing to drive at night for good Q.

Thanks,

The_Kapn
02-26-2011, 08:32 AM
The Salt Lick in Driftwood south of Austin is really hard to beat.
Take your own brewskies if you want any--dry county.

Great Eats there.

TIM

---k---
02-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks. I'll put it on the list. That place is steaks and such, isn't it? Might be good for one night. Luckily that BBQ joints will balance out our expense allowance.

The_Kapn
02-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks. I'll put it on the list. That place is steaks and such, isn't it? Might be good for one night. Luckily that BBQ joints will balance out our expense allowance.

Nope, Salt Lick is big-time BBQ!! Driftwood is the origonal and a great place.
The newer location in Austin is reported to be more "up-scale" and probably has less BBQ and more steak type meals.

I forgot--Rudy's. We use the Hwy 183 location.
We really like it. Gets "mixed reviews" from others.
Ya gotta try their creamed corn!!!!!!!!! To Die For.

Maybe Jorge will chime in--he knows Austin well as do some others.

TIM

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-26-2011, 10:25 AM
I hear a lot of good buzz about Franklin's Barbecue. It is at the top of my hit list next time I am in Austin.

3421 N I-35
Austin, Texas 78722
(512) 653-1187

Open Wed-Sun 11am-4pm

Check out this video.

http://www.chow.com/food-news/73232/the-art-of-texas-brisket/?tag=nl.e349

---k---
02-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Nope, Salt Lick is big-time BBQ!! Driftwood is the origonal and a great place.
The newer location in Austin is reported to be more "up-scale" and probably has less BBQ and more steak type meals.

I forgot--Rudy's. We use the Hwy 183 location.
We really like it. Gets "mixed reviews" from others.
Ya gotta try their creamed corn!!!!!!!!! To Die For.

Maybe Jorge will chime in--he knows Austin well as do some others.

TIM

Cool.

I've been to the Rudy's in Denton. You have to love those places that you just order the Q by the pound. I remember it was good, but not to die for.

---k---
02-26-2011, 11:54 AM
I hear a lot of good buzz about Franklin's Barbecue. It is at the top of my hit list next time I am in Austin.

3421 N I-35
Austin, Texas 78722
(512) 653-1187

Open Wed-Sun 11am-4pm

Check out this video.

http://www.chow.com/food-news/73232/the-art-of-texas-brisket/?tag=nl.e349

Franklin's looks great for lunch. Real close to where I'll be working. I won't be able to get there 2 hrs early like in the video, but we'll see.

Thanks!

---k---
03-02-2011, 06:34 AM
We landed yesterday and drove straight to Franklins, but they are only open on Wed - Sunday. But man, seeing his trailer on an old lot got us excited.

We ended up at Mann's for lunch. Big smoke stack bleaching out blue smoke - check, a stack of wood on the side of the building - check, what I would assume was the owner and his wife running the counter were the absolute nicest people you will ever meet. I ordered up the Rib and Brisket combo with a sweet tea. Was about $15. I was offered either lean or "fatty" meat. I asked for the point, and got point. I took cole slaw and something for a side. It was all good. Tenderness was on. It didn't have as much "bam" as I would like, but whatever. The gave me lots of sauce on the side. I used very little, but maybe I was supposed to use a lot? It was a good way to start a trip.

We went to our jobsite and worked until about 5:30. Met back up for dinner at 7:00, pulled out a list of a half dozen joints. We decided to head on down to the legendary The Salt Lick. Got there around 7:45. Huge parking lot and building get you excited. Great atmosphere. The walk in in past a big open pit with guys moving meat around - just impressive. Then they walk you around to the enclosed patio, with all picnic tables and trees growing up through the roof and people having a good time. It was felt like a place I wanted to sit down at. We ordered up the Family Style, all you can eat for $18.95. The brisket had strong smoke flavor, maybe a little too strong. Put a little sauce on it and it was pretty good. Not the best I've ever had, but good. With the all you can eat, you get screwed on the ribs. We kept getting the ends and short little pieces. They were so tough that I had trouble eating them. The people next to use that ordered the 3-meat combo got nice big juicy perfect looking ribs. grrr. By the third plate of meat, we got a couple of nice ribs. They were tender and juicy and pretty darn good. Cooking over an open pit gives such a different flavor. And the sausage was great. I'm a sucker for sausage and had to force myself to stop eating it before I got sick. Not the best Q I've ever had, but not bad and it was a great trip. I'm glad we went there.

Plan for today is Franklin's for lunch. For dinner, if I I'm not in the hospital from a heart attack, we may hit up another Austin joint.

---k---
03-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Went to Franklin's for lunch today. We got there around 11:40. It took us about 30 minutes to get through the line. By the time we got to order, he was out of ribs. So, I got the Brisket and Pulled Pork combo for $8.75 and had him add a link of sausage to share with my co-worker.

OH MY GOSH. It was AMAZING. I was blown away. Maybe I haven't had enough good bbq in my life, but this was amazing. The brisket was moist, it was tender, it had tons of flavor, but wasn't over the top in any way. I could eat it all day long. The pulled pork was shockingly good, I mean amazingly good. I didn't bother with sauce for anything, it didn't need it. The sausage was okay. But, the owner came around talking to everyone and was really cool. I heard him saying to the table next to ours that he is switching his sausage supplier next week when he moves to his new building, and he admitted that he hasn't got sausage down yet. With brisket and pork like that, who cares!

We were planning on working late tonight, so that we could take off early tomorrow and make it down to Lockhart for lunch. Right now, I'm not sure if we're going to do that. We're talking about going back to Franklin's to get some of those ribs.

I now have a serious benchmark of what I want my Q to taste like. If I can get it close to his, I'll die happy. Seriously, if you're anywhere near Austin, check this place out. I guess he is moving next week, so check his website for address and all. Hopefully the quality doesn't take a hit with a real building and serving up even more.

MilitantSquatter
03-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Looks like a successful trip so far !!!

I'm planning to head down to Austin in a few weeks for a two day "BBQ research" trip :heh:

The usual suspects in Lockhart & Taylor are on my agenda as well as City Market in Luling, Snow's in Lexington, & maybe Salt Lick in Driftwood. Franklin's was on my list but was questionable based based on my tentative timelines and the likelihood that they could be sold out when I would expect to be there. I'll be sure to check about the new location and any changes in serving hours.

---k---
03-05-2011, 11:00 AM
My co-worker and I spent all Wednesday night talking about how good Franklin's was, even while enjoying some tex-mex at Chuy's (Thanks Jorge :thumb:). I woke up thursday thinking about Franklins. So, we went back on Thursday.

It was also because he ran out of ribs on Wednesday. When he was walking around, he was really sorry because his ribs are "really good". If his brisket is that good, and he is willing to say that his ribs are really good, how could I not go back? The only question was, would I get the was would I get the rib plate or the brisket and rib combo??

We got there around 10:40 and there was already a line. Maybe 20 - 30 people. After he opened at 11:00, we waited around 30 minutes to get to the head of the line. Several people in front of us were walking away with what appeared to be large to-go orders. One guy had a copy paper box full. Must be for the whole office. Can't say I blame them.

I went with the brisket and rib combo. Brisket was great again. It might have been ever so slightly better the day before, but I think he took extra good care of us because I told him that I came straight there after getting off the plane from Chicago. The ribs were really really good. Tenderness was perfect to me, but probably a bit too done for those KCBS judges. They had real nice Texas flavor. I could have eaten a plateful. I still didn't bother with sauces. I probably should have to done a decent review. :doh:

From what I overheard, this week was his last week at his current location. Next week he will be completely closed as he moves to his new building. Then I think he is re-opening the following week. He and another guy were walking around talking to people at different times. His plans are to expand to 7 days a week and then dinner. I heard one of his guys also talking about upgrading to a bigger brick? pit. Those type of operations are going to require a lot more cooks in the kitchen. I wish him the best and really hope he can keep up the quality. I'm looking forward to going back to Austin and eating some more Franklin's BBQ.

---k---
03-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Here's the rib and brisket plate.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_GPInPItX_tE/TXMB0JYycRI/AAAAAAAAAQo/_8CJf_O4yko/s800/2011-03-03_11-37-13_530.jpg

Smiter Q
03-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Hey Ryan,
Sounds like you hit some really good spots. I been to Franklins on Saturdays, where people start to line up earlier then 10am and wait a whole hour. Thanks for visiting our wonderful city! Chuys and Salt Lick our also great landmarks! Now just hope it is not too cold back home for you. ;-)

Dallas Dan
03-07-2011, 08:05 PM

No steaks at Salt Lick but great brisket, sausage, pork ribs and chicken are on the menu. (http://www.saltlickbbq.com/menu.html)

My second recommendation is the County Line (http://countyline.com/index-2.html) ... great BBQ and is a little closer to town.

---k---
03-11-2011, 02:36 PM
No steaks at Salt Lick but great brisket, sausage, pork ribs and chicken are on the menu. (http://www.saltlickbbq.com/menu.html)

My second recommendation is the County Line (http://countyline.com/index-2.html) ... great BBQ and is a little closer to town.

Thanks. I had County Line on my list along with Iron City as local Austin places. I planned on hitting at least one for dinner. But, after Mann's, Salt Lick, and Franklin's (twice), I wasn't sure I could eat any more BBQ. So, I ended up at two of Austin's finest for dinner: tex-mex at Chuy's and chicken fried steak at Hoovers. Next time I go to Austin, I'll probably check out County Line (in addition to Franklin's).

gtr
03-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I lived in Austin in the mid 80's and used to eat at Sam's BBQ on east 12th. Don't know if it's still around or if it's still good, but back then that was a damn good place to go & they were open super late. In the late hours you definitely want to park near the place - not somewhere to be wandering around at night.