PDA

View Full Version : Grill Marks On Ribs????

Q-Dat
02-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Im gonna try and put some grill marks on my next slab of ribs for appearance. Probably on an expanded metal grate with a really hot fire underneath.

Question is, do you think judges would like this or be more likely to freak?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

sitnfat
02-24-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't think they would look good

deepsouth
02-24-2011, 09:54 AM
after a long smoke, would the grill marks still be visable?

carlyle
02-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Not sure if grill marks would be a positive or negative for appearance. Not used to seeing them on ribs. Doubt they would make a big difference to me. Probably easier
to hurt your appearance score than help it.

Better consider if that hot fire will hurt tenderness and texture.

Q-Dat
02-24-2011, 10:47 AM
I'll try the experiment to see if I can make it look good, and post pics for feedback when I do.

Now I have to decide whether to try and sear them before or after smoking.

MoKanMeathead
02-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Why? If it were me I would be concerned with cooking them right and making sure they taste good.

Just curious. I really don't know if the appearence would be enhanced or not. I don't think it would impact my judging at all.

Q-Dat
02-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Why? If it were me I would be concerned with cooking them right and making sure they taste good.

Just curious. I really don't know if the appearence would be enhanced or not. I don't think it would impact my judging at all.

Taste and texture will always be top priority for me. This was just a purely cosmetic idea. I'm always looking for something to set myself a little bit apart but not too much.

tmcmaster
02-24-2011, 12:11 PM
I would be more worried about the judges considering that a 'marked' meat.

Lake Dogs
02-24-2011, 12:31 PM
From a judges perspective, if it's not considered a mark (which is immediate DQ), it
is a sign that it's been grilled, not smoked low and slow. Might be wrong, but they'll
be expecting it to not be as tender or moist as they'd want. Basically, it sends the
wrong signal/message.

Also, it can't really help with your appearance score, and could possibly lower it. The
risk is to the down side, not the up side, IMHO. Either way, appearance is graded
VERY VERY VERY small as compared to texture and taste.

I wouldn't, but that's just me.

Prairie Smoke
02-24-2011, 12:55 PM
I've done exactly what you're describing and they looked great. Give it a shot and get some pictures up here!

ClayHill
02-24-2011, 01:13 PM
I'd be carful with the grill marks if the ribs are sauced, burnt sugar doesnt always taste that good IMO...

YankeeBBQ
02-24-2011, 02:51 PM
I would be more worried about the judges considering that a 'marked' meat.

Your joking right ? :confused:

barbefunkoramaque
02-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Im gonna try and put some grill marks on my next slab of ribs for appearance. Probably on an expanded metal grate with a really hot fire underneath.

Question is, do you think judges would like this or be more likely to freak?

I take it you won't be competing anywhere then... except like maybe up north in boston or maine where they have no business coming out of their houses at all to even attempt BBQ... or somewhere they might like "contrived" entries. :-D

In some places it would be a disqualification plain and simple.

YankeeBBQ
02-24-2011, 03:06 PM
I take it you won't be competing anywhere then... except like maybe up north in boston or maine where they have no business coming out of their houses at all to even attempt BBQ... or somewhere they might like "contrived" entries. :-D

Contrived Entry ? HAHAHAHA Every successful cook has a contrived entry. You can't just slap a piece of meant on the smoker and expect to do well. Your funny.

ClayHill
02-24-2011, 03:28 PM

ouch.......:becky:

gmholler
02-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Maybe try a practice batch and post some pictures...I think most judges like their ribs to be fairly dark to start with and a grill mark is likely to make them think the ribs are burnt...

Lynn H.

tmcmaster
02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Your joking right ? :confused:
Not at all. I didn't say it WAS a marked entry. I said that is what I would be worried about.

YankeeBBQ
02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Not at all. I didn't say it WAS a marked entry. I said that is what I would be worried about.

I think it's ridiculous to think some grill marks could be considered marking. Every smoker out there has grates in it. Some people cook low and slow some cook hot and fast. That's like saying putting shiny sauce on your entry is marking. :crazy: Just sayin

Q-Dat
02-24-2011, 04:40 PM

Actually Im competing in the New Orleans area, where most people consider Barbecue and Grilling to be the same thing. If I were to be competing in the "Republic of Texas" or the Midwest somewhere, I wouldn't waste my time even considering it.

tmcmaster
02-24-2011, 04:46 PM
I think it's ridiculous to think some grill marks could be considered marking. Every smoker out there has grates in it. Some people cook low and slow some cook hot and fast. That's like saying putting shiny sauce on your entry is marking. :crazy: Just sayin

Like I said, I didn't say it WAS marking, only that I might be worried about the judges considering it marked...

ClayHill
02-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Like I said, I didn't say it WAS marking, only that I might be worried about the judges considering it marked...

its my understanding that it has to look intentional and deliberate. Unless your grate is made out of steel alphabet letters or weird symbols, you'll be fine.

ique
02-24-2011, 06:15 PM

Marking won't be a problem. Lots of chicken gets turned in with grill marks

worthsmokin
02-24-2011, 08:14 PM
If your ribs were doing good in the past I wouldn't try it, but if you think it will help your scores it wouldn't hurt to try it.

wormdrink67
02-24-2011, 08:45 PM
If I received a box of ribs that had grill marks on them, as a judge, I would say this team tried to go "Applebee's" on me....and that's not a compliment. But, I've been wrong before.

barbefunkoramaque
02-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Contrived Entry ? HAHAHAHA Every successful cook has a contrived entry. You can't just slap a piece of meant on the smoker and expect to do well. Your funny.

this word "contrived" refers to an old bigmista thread. its an inside joke. but... not without merit. i think he had a chicken thread that essentially looked so perfect someone called it "contrived" and a big ruckus occured.

barbefunkoramaque
02-24-2011, 09:10 PM

lol u said
'shiney face' lol ahhh colonel angus bbq.... martha loved it so,,, and every time she looked down the shady thicket, yes, it was colonel angus' shiney face she saw staring up from the cotton patch.

barbefunkoramaque
02-24-2011, 09:13 PM

Like I am gonna argue with THIS guy! LOL:cool:

barbefunkoramaque
02-24-2011, 09:13 PM

duplicate

sitnfat
02-24-2011, 10:10 PM

yeah but who is silly enough to do ribs bone up????:shocked:

Three porks
02-24-2011, 10:33 PM
I posted a similar question last year. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92681

Crash
02-24-2011, 11:48 PM
My biggest concern with your grill mark idea is that the ribs might stick to the super-hot grate surface. This would effectively hurt you in the appearance category.

I dont see an upside to it, but I would love to see your pictures when you try it.

Best of luck!

Lake Dogs
02-25-2011, 08:17 AM
My biggest concern with your grill mark idea is that the ribs might stick to the super-hot grate surface. This would effectively hurt you in the appearance category.

I dont see an upside to it, but I would love to see your pictures when you try it.

Best of luck!

This was my point, I dont see any real upside. If you haven't been getting
good appearance scores it wasn't for the lack of grill marks, so I'd work on
that (why the appearance score wasn't satisfactory). If it was satisfactory,
then you only have opportunity to the down side, not upside.

JMHO.

Contracted Cookers
02-25-2011, 08:23 AM
I"d be afraid it might tighten your bark up making them seem a little tougher .some of the best scores come from people trying new things.

Bigmista
02-25-2011, 09:51 AM
If I received a box of ribs that had grill marks on them, as a judge, I would say this team tried to go "Applebee's" on me....and that's not a compliment. But, I've been wrong before.

One of the first things I was taught in judging class was that you shouldn't compare an entry with anything. It should be judged on it's own merit.

Perhaps a refresher course is in order.

YankeeBBQ
02-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Well I guess doing it purely for appearance doesn't make all that much sense, but there are other benefits to grilling the ribs. Caramelizing the sauce adds another layer of flavor that to me is very appealing. I don't grill my ribs at this time but I have in the past. I achieve the same end result using other means.

musicmanryann
02-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Hey Steve, you are more than welcome to keep posting rib tips up here as long as you desire. I'm listening. :thumb::laugh:

Q-Dat
02-25-2011, 11:06 AM
LOL ok just so everyone knows, I do know that this is an out of the box unorthodox idea. And honestly even if I like the way it looks after I try it, I will most likely NEVER try this in a comp.

Mostly it was a thought that popped into my head the other day, and I thought it would make for interesting conversation. And it would seem that it has :D

Q-Dat
02-25-2011, 11:10 AM

Haha! Right or wrong, I think you might have just convinced me! I freaking hate Applebee's! That place is living proof that most people eat with their eyes, because if most people judged a restaurant by the taste of their food, it would have gone out of business a long time ago IMHO

goodbuddiesbbq
02-25-2011, 11:18 AM
I have seen this concept work for a team (very well) in one event and blow up on that same team at another. I am not a fan of it as I think that it can detract from "tenderness" if the bark gets too crisp.

Said team had a grill that was slimed up pretty decent and hot and the ribs looked awesome and didn't get overly crisp...they took 2nd place at that event. The next week it didn't work as well and they took 29th place.

The final assessment was that it is too inconsistent and risky to nail it in a comp situation.