PDA

View Full Version : Sponsoring BBQ Cook Teams

ksblues
02-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Doing some initial research... anyone have an idea of what the average sponsorship amounts are to become a BBQ Cook Team Sponsor? (If there even are "average amounts!")

tmcmaster
02-18-2011, 01:24 PM
"Average" varies from team to team and sponsor to sponsor. I am not sure that average exists.

Contracted Cookers
02-18-2011, 01:24 PM
many different variations

RedPig
02-18-2011, 04:36 PM
:roll:What they said.:rolleyes: I'm working on the same thing and I might suggest going to the bookstore for starters. I shy away from online ebooks, etc.

Red Valley BBQ
02-18-2011, 05:49 PM
It all depends on what you are comfortable spending and what you expect for your money. Our previous sponsor gave us a cash stipend and product to use. As well as a sign with thier logo, t-shirts, promotional items, etc. We have a couple of sponsors we are working on now, and I think the final deal will include demonstrating the products they carry at an open house once or twice a year.
So it's all about the return on your money.

jbrink01
02-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Depends on who's being sponsored. Mike Wozniak is gonna expect a bit more than me..;-)
I have 2. One is primary, and 1 is by the event for local contests. The local sponsor pays me $500 per local contest. The other I won't talk about on here, but it's a good one!

BTW - This is my first year with an "all season deal".

KC_Bobby
02-18-2011, 11:07 PM
I'd say that depends on what the team has to offer the sponser.

Crash
02-19-2011, 02:40 AM
IMHO, in the game of competition BBQ you get what sponsorship you can and hope to walk more in order to attract future sponsors. Unless you're a premier team that has the means to compete a lot and finish well consistently you will usually have to settle for product, supplies and maybe some $.

We have a few sponsors that provide wood and product, but it is with people that we have built relationships with throughout our 5 years of competing.

I agree with the others. No average, as it does vary.

Scottie
02-19-2011, 10:12 AM
As Crash said... take what you can get. Ultimately it is what you can offer a sponsor. Sure you can get someone to sponsor you for a year with cooking 4 contests. But will they be back the next year? Winning is huge well. You attract more attention to the potential sponsors. If not winning, then you better be a celebrity in the BBQ World... I am very fortunate with having a buncn of behind the scenes sponsors. They don't want or need signs or wrapping on my RV. They want to sponsor me for my leftover comp BBQ and/or appearances at events that they have. Getting product, while it is not money in pocket. It also is not Money out of my pocket.

Good luck and go out and win to add a little luster to your resume . Showing up with at a meeting with a potentiall sponsor with a huge trophy or a GC trophy in hand is also a nice selling point. I have some nice photos of my trophies, just so I don't have to lug them around. ;)

Gerrit_Boys
02-19-2011, 03:24 PM
They want to sponsor me for my leftover comp BBQ and/or appearances at events that they have. Getting product, while it is not money in pocket. It also is not Money out of my pocket.

I've got a couple of questions. Do you generally cook a bunch of extra for this purpose and how do you package the leftovers to deliver? Thanks!

luckyduk
02-19-2011, 04:37 PM
They don't want or need signs or wrapping on my RV. They want to sponsor me for my leftover comp BBQ and/or appearances at events that they have
What you don't want the leftovers for dinner that night? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The one sponsor that I have wants the leftover BBQ from about every other event. I package the meat in gallon ziplocs and cooler with ice to cool them down quickly. All they would have to do is warm up as per my printed instructions. I am fortunate my wife works at the place so she tends to it:thumb:

I also cook without charge for their events throughout the year, which is good return for them!

luckyduk
02-19-2011, 04:39 PM
I have cooked extra, do not like to, the pit I have has plenty of room, the "extra meat" may or may not get the same attention.

Contracted Cookers
02-19-2011, 06:40 PM
As Crash said... take what you can get. Ultimately it is what you can offer a sponsor. Sure you can get someone to sponsor you for a year with cooking 4 contests. But will they be back the next year? Winning is huge well. You attract more attention to the potential sponsors. If not winning, then you better be a celebrity in the BBQ World... I am very fortunate with having a buncn of behind the scenes sponsors. They don't want or need signs or wrapping on my RV. They want to sponsor me for my leftover comp BBQ and/or appearances at events that they have. Getting product, while it is not money in pocket. It also is not Money out of my pocket.

Good luck and go out and win to add a little luster to your resume . Showing up with at a meeting with a potentiall sponsor with a huge trophy or a GC trophy in hand is also a nice selling point. I have some nice photos of my trophies, just so I don't have to lug them around. ;) can I borrow your pictures

Scottie
02-20-2011, 04:54 PM
I've got a couple of questions. Do you generally cook a bunch of extra for this purpose and how do you package the leftovers to deliver? Thanks!

Don't cook anything extra. I vacuum seal it, so they can freeze it if they want.

Pickin' Porkers
02-20-2011, 05:09 PM
If there is an easy way to pick up sponsors...please let me know. 5th and 13th the past two years in Pork and haven't even received a mention of sponsorship except for two smoker mfg's that I won't consider. I'd have to be given the smoker and believe in it before I went that route. I pay everything out of our pocket and doing 20+ contests a year, we have to bring home the bacon.....er..the money.

In all fairness....we do not promote ourselves very well. Don't like a strong arm from most sponsor expectations.

Jeff_in_KC
02-20-2011, 07:27 PM
We're working on this now. I don't think you want to offer just BBQ and especially not where you have to regularly entertain at a contest. If you want to win and get fairly consistent with it, you won't have time or the energy to host parties. I think most sponsors would prefer you draw attention to their product by winning and other efforts and leave the feeding to someone else. You have to be a marketer and be comfortable with doing it to give a sponsor a good return on investment.

Dr_KY
02-21-2011, 03:16 AM
It all depends on what you are comfortable spending and what you expect for your money. Our previous sponsor gave us a cash stipend and product to use. As well as a sign with thier logo, t-shirts, promotional items, etc. We have a couple of sponsors we are working on now, and I think the final deal will include demonstrating the products they carry at an open house once or twice a year.
So it's all about the return on your money.
We have a similar deal with a new sponsor.

CivilWarBBQ
02-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Doing some initial research... anyone have an idea of what the average sponsorship amounts are to become a BBQ Cook Team Sponsor? (If there even are "average amounts!")

You've asked the proverbial "How long is a piece of string?" question, so don't be discouraged that you haven't been able to get hard numbers.

While there really is no meaningful average , I can give you a little perspective anyway:

When we started out years ago, if you showed up with a case of beer you were a big team sponsor. Now days, $500 buys you a one-time event sponsorship. You'll need several grand to be a primary team sponsor for the season.

Hope that helps!

-GF

crd26a
02-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Now days, $500 buys you a one-time event sponsorship. You'll need several grand to be a primary team sponsor for the season.
-GF

Heck for $500, I'd let someone be my primary sponsor for as many event entries as I could get into.

Stoke&Smoke
02-22-2011, 07:53 AM

Wow, a sponsor looking for a team, instead of the other way around?

We can only, and barely, afford 6 comps per year because we have no sponsorship.

Having a sponsor or two could go a long way toward helping us be more competitive. I'd be happy with someone paying the entry fees, and or the meat costs. Or for that matter, any portion of those. I'll be happy to hang their signage everywhere!

wormdrink67
02-22-2011, 08:02 AM
For any of you that are hunting for sponsorship, be sure to check with your local alcohol distributors....that's how we do it. We asked that our entry fee be covered, and they gave us banners to fly. That's it.

Stoke&Smoke
02-22-2011, 01:30 PM
That is an awesome idea! Thanks. We'll give that a try!