PDA

View Full Version : Comp trailers question

chibi
02-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Anyone running a fridge in there comp trailer? I am and am wondering how you have it wired. if you have it running while driving down the road. right now I do not run it while driving and it stays cold for quite a while but I am going farther for comps and think I need to have it running. ideas?

Michael

Trucky1008
02-18-2011, 08:00 AM
I had a 12V cigarette plug mounted next to the fridge and it connects to a battery stored in the cabinet under my sink. I simply plug a power inverter into the the 12V cigarette outlet and then plug the fridge into the inverter. I've found that I can get about 4-5 hours on a fully charged battery.

QDoc
02-18-2011, 09:06 AM
do like your ancestors. put a 10 pound block of ice in there.

El Lobo
02-18-2011, 09:28 AM
do like your ancestors. put a 10 pound block of ice in there.

Ice packs? Only disadvantage is loss of space.

BBQ Bandit
02-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Considering the cost of foods/meats... ice is a cheap cost-saving alternative.

Kack
02-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Generator. Check craigslist. Or you can buy an inverter and wire it under the hood of your tow rig, run an extension cord with an outdoor junction box to your trailer hitch, mount it there. Plug in AC power just like you plug in trailer lights. Works for our Kegerator and food fridge on 4wheeling trips. Before that we just ran a small generator on the trailer for the whole trip.

Rookie'48
02-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Load up the fridge a day or two before you're leaving & leave it plugged in until the last minute. As long as the door stays closed you could be good for at least one day. If it's really hot outside use a packing quilt for extra insulation. The more you have in the fridge the longer it will stay cold - empty space will heat up quicker than food will.

Contracted Cookers
02-18-2011, 01:27 PM
wire it with your trailer lights

TN_BBQ
02-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Another idea is to put the stuff in the freezer section of the fridge. It starts out colder up there and probably a little better insulated.

When we go camping, I will often par-freeze some of the stuff before packing the cooler.

Regarding the running fridge while on the road, you might want to do some of that electrical mathematics (not sure about all that amps n volts n watts n all that other stuff)

Lastly, you might see if you can find a propane fridge (check with the RV folks)

crd26a
02-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Typically I try to plug the fridge in the night before at home and load up everything so its all cold before I leave, then throw in a bag of ice if its a long trip. We put a Danby Apart Fridge in (this one http://www.danby.com/product/DAR1102WE/1) that gives us a lot of space. We can usually get all comp meats, greens, marinades etc. into the fridge and still have space in there for the bag of ice (FYI, we put it on the top shelf as cold air flows down). We've driven multiple hours and still had the bag of ice not melted in the fridge and usually still 90% of it there, if not more).

Also, look to see how some teams are doing their marine battery backup for FEC's. It'd be a secondary option for it as well as running the inverter off of the trucks alternator.

smoke-n-my-i's
02-18-2011, 03:39 PM
wire it with your trailer lights
:shock: I hope you are talking about the inverter????

And if so, the trailer wiring is NOT heavy enough to carry the load of the inverter. An inverter large enough to handle the size of the under the counter fridge that I use, has to have wiring from the battery to it the size of the cables from the battery to the starter of the truck..... that is why you mount the inverter as close to the battery as possible, then run an extension cord.

I plugged mine in the night before, got it as cold as possible without freezing, then unplugged when I pulled out. I have gone as far as about 6 hrs with no problems. Just get it plugged in as soon as you can when you get there and you should be good to go. If you are going to be traveling and stopping overnight, I would do something different, like ice the meat down in a cooler then put it in the fridge when you get there. A couple of bags of ice is a LOT cheaper than all the meat.

beam boys bbq
02-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Load up the fridge a day or two before you're leaving & leave it plugged in until the last minute. As long as the door stays closed you could be good for at least one day. If it's really hot outside use a packing quilt for extra insulation. The more you have in the fridge the longer it will stay cold - empty space will heat up quicker than food will.

I do this but i also have an ice blackent that i bought at resturand depot you can leave it for two days no problems :thumb:

moocow
02-18-2011, 04:20 PM
My refrigerator in the trailer has a warning on the back that reads "Do not use on an inverter". Just check before you do it.

Rich Parker
02-18-2011, 06:35 PM
How are you guys mounting the refrigerator in your trailer? I was thinking about just strapping it to the etrack.

Capn Kev
02-18-2011, 06:55 PM
How are you guys mounting the refrigerator in your trailer? I was thinking about just strapping it to the etrack.

I have an e-track behind the fridge and use a small strap to hold my fridge in place while in transport. Works just fine.

Andrews
02-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Try using Dry Ice!

It's available at Smart & Final. Just make sure to wrap it well or it will freeze whatever it's next to.

Contracted Cookers
02-18-2011, 09:35 PM
yes we run three aux. batterys with our trailer .

Capn Kev
02-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Anyone running a fridge in there comp trailer? I am and am wondering how you have it wired. if you have it running while driving down the road. right now I do not run it while driving and it stays cold for quite a while but I am going farther for comps and think I need to have it running. ideas?

Michael

What's up Michael!? :) I don't run my fridge during travel, rather I carry a cooler and keep the meat in there during transport on ice. Then I fire up the fridge when I arrive, and it takes about 20 minutes to get cold.

chibi
02-19-2011, 08:15 AM
What's up Michael!? :) I don't run my fridge during travel, rather I carry a cooler and keep the meat in there during transport on ice. Then I fire up the fridge when I arrive, and it takes about 20 minutes to get cold.

I am trying to keep the weight down. and carrying coolers of meat when I have a fridge is a little redundant.

River City Smokehouse
02-19-2011, 10:10 AM
I bought two large hinges at the hardware store and mounted it into the wall studs. It is sturdy and hasn't budged a bit.

***Also, for traveling, I have a deep cycle marine battery and a 1,000 watt inverter. That does just fine as long as the battery is fully charged.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z234/River_City_Smokehouse/trailer011w.jpg

Rich Parker
02-19-2011, 11:48 AM
I bought two large hinges at the hardware store and mounted it into the wall studs. It is sturdy and hasn't budged a bit.

***Also, for traveling, I have a deep cycle marine battery and a 1,000 watt inverter. That does just fine as long as the battery is fully charged.

Thanks! I like the brackets just a little worried about drilling a hole in the side of the new fridge.

I have an 800 watt continuous with a 1600 watt peak inverter. I was looking at the Danby freezerless fridge posted on the first page and specs show 15 amp * 115 volt = 1725 watts not sure if i have a big enough inverter to keep it running efficiently.

I don't drive over 4 hours all that often so a bag of ice on the top shelf should be fine.

crd26a
02-19-2011, 12:09 PM

Just etrack here, then use a cargo strap to go around the top of the fridge to hold it in place.

moocow
02-19-2011, 01:17 PM
I made brackets that screw into the floor and pinch the bottom of the frame of the refrigerator to the floor. It never moves. Be careful drilling holes in the frige for anchors or latches. The ones that don't have the coil on the back of the unit have them built into the sides and top, we know from experience! Drill-psssssss- no work anymore!

Sticks-n-chicks
02-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Mine is between a wall and cabinet and then a bracket from the top to the frame of the trailer... on a side note if you going to load it before a comp...tape the doors shut or it's more of a trailer hodge podge surprise on the floor!:-o

CBQ
02-19-2011, 11:38 PM
There are some large propane fridges...some up to 21 cubic feet, like the Crystal Cold. These are used in remote locations and in Amish homes. I wonder how these would hold up being moved around. RV fridges hold up well on the road, but they are generally much smaller.

Most comps I go to don't have enough power to let me plug in a fridge. For now I am still doing the coolers with ice thing, but a real fridge would be nice.