PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Club Judging

Rookie'48
02-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Yee Haw!!! I made it in to judge the Overland Park comp on 7-1 & 7-2. I've got a cable modem on my computer but it still seemed soooo slooooow to me - I know it wasn't, but it sure seemed that way :crazy:. So it looks like all you lucky farkers get to put up with me there, also :becky:.

ClayHill
02-17-2011, 11:25 AM
No, the KCBS site was slow for me too, pittsburgh here I come

mfreeman73
02-17-2011, 11:30 AM
I signed up for the Medford, NY one right at noon. Site was super slow. Probably a lot of people trying to access it at the same time. Hope I get to judge that one. Should be good.

tmcmaster
02-17-2011, 03:04 PM
No, the KCBS site was slow for me too, pittsburgh here I come
I'll see ya there!!!

Arlin_MacRae
02-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Yee Haw!!! I made it in to judge the Overland Park comp on 7-1 & 7-2. I've got a cable modem on my computer but it still seemed soooo slooooow to me - I know it wasn't, but it sure seemed that way :crazy:. So it looks like all you lucky farkers get to put up with me there, also :becky:.

Too cool, Dave!!

"Yee Haw"?? Where y'all from?? :becky:

mobow
02-17-2011, 03:57 PM

Way to go Dave. Susie and I are in also. See you there but I'm sure we'll see you before that. keith

1 FAT HOG BBQ
02-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Did you all get a confirmation from KCBS/Sams

Fat Woody
02-17-2011, 09:32 PM
See you there Dave. Sounds like you'll have to brown bag the Templeton that weekend!

Rookie'48
02-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Keith, maybe I'll see you two at NKC, Pleasant Hill, St. Joe, GAB or Raytown. I think that's all that I've signed up for before the Sam's Club one.

I got my conformation about 15 minutes after I pressed the submit button :-D.

Bentley
02-17-2011, 10:47 PM
I got my conformation about 15 minutes after I pressed the submit button :-D.

I was on line at 9am PST, and was registered by 9:02. I got a confirmation immediatlly afterwards that I was registered, nothing about being picked. Is that what you got, or have you received an email from KCBS saying you have been confirmed as a judge? I think what you are refering to is that you are registered...If 39 other folks got into Vegas before 9:02am I am gonna be real bummed!

KC_Bobby
02-17-2011, 11:32 PM
I just hope no Sam's contestants judge a different Sam's comp - now, if they judge after they were eliminated - no problem.

1 FAT HOG BBQ
02-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Bently, that is exactly what I did, 1103 CDT, yea I got a "Registered" but no confirmation by e-mail which is what is suppose to happen the way I read it. everybody that says they are "IN" did you all get a confirmation e-mail?

Rookie'48
02-18-2011, 01:12 AM
The e-mail that I got said that I had successfully registered. More info should be coming soon, but I'm thinking that I'm in.

1 FAT HOG BBQ
02-18-2011, 04:51 AM
Rookie'48, sounds like you are in, You said you recv'd an e-mail, I did not. Maybe I will hear something today, maybe not.

Hub
02-18-2011, 05:56 AM
I just looked at the KCBS announcement page. Judge sign-up is "open" until noon, Saturday 2/19 EST. Many of the sites are showing full, some have waiting list posts and there are a few still open. It isn't real clear, but I suspect there won't be any confirmation of acceptance e-mails until sign-up closes. Everyone who got their name and number in successfully got a "confirmation" but that doesn't mean selection yet. As soon as anyone gets a confirming e-mail, let us know.

Bentley
02-18-2011, 10:11 AM
The e-mail that I got said that I had successfully registered. More info should be coming soon, but I'm thinking that I'm in.

I dont meant to bust your conjones, an email or did the KCBS screen pop up afterwards and tell you you were registered? If I do not get in being registerend in the 1st 90 seconds, I am crying conspricy!

ClayHill
02-18-2011, 10:28 AM
I dont meant to bust your conjones, an email or did the KCBS screen pop up afterwards and tell you you were registered? If I do not get in being registerend in the 1st 90 seconds, I am crying conspricy!

Yeah I got the "registered page" after I signed up too and no e-mail yet........if they want me great, if not, its not a big deal

Jorge
02-18-2011, 11:09 AM

I bet a polite call to the office could end your angst:becky: I'm just sayin.....

mfreeman73
02-18-2011, 11:27 AM
I got the registered page and then a little later got an email saying I was registered. It didn't ask for an email on the registration page so I'm assuming they're sending it to whatever default email address KCBS has on file for you. I was also glad to see the email mention me by name since the registration only asked for your CBJ number.

I'm sure they'll send another email out later telling you if you got the job.

Bentley
02-18-2011, 11:34 AM
I bet a polite call to the office could end your angst:becky: I'm just sayin.....

I am teasting, but I doubt the call would help as they probably just dont know yet, angst seems like a $20 word, will have to look it up I guess..I see that Vegas is still taking judges so I would hope I am a lock...

rweller
02-18-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm sure its just a pop up that says I have been successfully registered.

I'm judging the reginals in Indy.

Q-Stream
02-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Good job, Ralph, although I had hoped to see you in Bentonville. I'm sure our paths will cross at some time this year, see you then.

Laird

ABS Pit Boss, BWS Patio, Hasty Bake, Okie State Orange thermapen
Master CBJ, Certified Table Captain

Chenernator
02-19-2011, 11:34 PM

I was on the site at 9:00 for Vegas. Took forever to load, but I filled everything about the same time you did. No email, just a screen that said I was confirmed. I think I read that an email would be sent a couple of weeks before the event. I'm betting we're in.

rweller
02-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Good job, Ralph, although I had hoped to see you in Bentonville. I'm sure our paths will cross at some time this year, see you then.

Laird

ABS Pit Boss, BWS Patio, Hasty Bake, Okie State Orange thermapen
Master CBJ, Certified Table Captain

Laird, I wasn't thinking when I signed up. Right after I did it I knew I screwed up. I went back and tried to sign up for Bentonville and it told me I had already registered. I even have friends in Bentonville I could have visited while there. Oh Well.
What contest do you have lined up for this year? I think I'm going to cut back some this year. I only have 8 or 9 as of right now.

Q-Stream
02-21-2011, 11:18 AM
I am cutting back a little as well, Ralph, although I am going to cook with two teams this year. I am thinking I will judge Hazelwood, Bixby OK, Westmont, Jeffersonville IN, Benton, Murphysboro and Lincoln and Bentonville. There may be an additional one or two, not sure at this point.

Laird

ABS Pit Boss, BWS Patio, Hasty Bake, Okie State Orange Thermapen
KCBS Master CBJ, Certified Table Captain

U2CANQUE
02-21-2011, 12:05 PM
I just hope no Sam's contestants judge a different Sam's comp - now, if they judge after they were eliminated - no problem.

Why? I love judging when I cannot cook a contest

mfreeman73
02-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Looks like the judging is all full. I went back to the website and the judge links are gone. That was fast.

G$
02-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Why? I love judging when I cannot cook a contest

It is an interesting issue. THEORETICALLY you have an influence on teams you are competing against, because the last spot or two in some regions is an 'at large' based on total scores. (Region one for example has two 'at large' teams)

U2CANQUE
02-21-2011, 06:55 PM
It is an interesting issue. THEORETICALLY you have an influence on teams you are competing against, because the last spot or two in some regions is an 'at large' based on total scores. (Region one for example has two 'at large' teams)

But blindly....I don't know who they are any more than when judging a regular contest.....so, by that theory are you suggesting that all of the master judges that they will have at the finals will have to be screened to make sure that they did not earn their master judging status cooking with any team that is in the finals?

1 FAT HOG BBQ
02-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Still no e-mail here, I need to make Hotel Reservations, or not. As mentioned previously they might wait until a couple of weeks out :tsk: , you gotta be kidding, guess that would work if your lucky to have one close by but I am sure there is a lot of judges traveling to these events.

G$
02-22-2011, 11:34 AM
But blindly....I don't know who they are any more than when judging a regular contest.....so, by that theory are you suggesting that all of the master judges that they will have at the finals will have to be screened to make sure that they did not earn their master judging status cooking with any team that is in the finals?

For the record, I am not concerned about this in practice for this series at all and not concerned about you remainign impartial. This is a bit more esoteric in nature.

This is particularly interesting because as a cook you can judge in your same region, while knowing what teams at least were going to be at that contest that you are judging.

So, THEORETICALLY, what one could do is score every entry they get as "low as possible". If more "cook judges" were doing this, the impact would be even greater naturally. This would again, theoretically, lower the average scores at that qualifier, and theoretically, increase the relative average scores at the other qualifiers, which could theoretically bump the 29th or 30th qualifying teams to those other regionals rather than the contest at which you are judging.

Sorry for all the 'theoretically's. I just want to stress I am not saying this is happening, or what the math would require for it to have an actual impact.

mobow
02-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Still no e-mail here, I need to make Hotel Reservations, or not. As mentioned previously they might wait until a couple of weeks out :tsk: , you gotta be kidding, guess that would work if your lucky to have one close by but I am sure there is a lot of judges traveling to these events.
If you got the registered pop up you are registered. Just like for the teams. When it hit full it closed down. keith

Chenernator
03-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Anyone heard anything yet? The KCBS site said that we would be contacted by email the week of March 14th.

ThomEmery
03-19-2011, 07:45 PM
I have a seat at the Fort Worth Regional
My InLaws live just a couple miles from that Sams

1 FAT HOG BBQ
03-19-2011, 10:15 PM
........Nothing here :confused:

1 FAT HOG BBQ
03-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Thom Emery, did you receive an e-mail or how do you know you have a seat?

Bentley
03-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Email KCBS, the lovely, talentented and most helpful Dawn Endrijaitis sent me word that both myself and my sister are in for Las Vegas!

1 FAT HOG BBQ
03-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Heres the quote from KCBS "An event director will be in contact with you via e-mail by the week of March 14" .....guess we are out. I was registered in less than 3 min and it was still open for a while after that, don't remember how long but a while, so I guess they screened the applicants.

rweller
03-19-2011, 11:51 PM
Heres the quote from KCBS "An event director will be in contact with you via e-mail by the week of March 14" .....guess we are out. I was registered in less than 3 min and it was still open for a while after that, don't remember how long but a while, so I guess they screened the applicants.

I wouldn't worry yet. Read below what I took off the KCBS website. Be patient.

Inaugural Samís Club National BBQ Tour Ready For Kickoff

March 17, 2011

Event Directors for the Inaugural Samís Club National BBQ Tour met last night and made final preparations for one of the most exciting BBQ competition series in KCBS history. Today and tomorrow they will be reviewing and finalizing all team and judge registrations for their respective events. For the early events in Region 1, you can expect communications from your local Event Director as early as tomorrow or this weekend.
Additionally, a final set of on-site rules and regulations will be posted here (http://kcbs.us/sams-club-series-rules.php) on Monday.
So get ready for some great BBQ! The 2011 season is about to heat up!

1 FAT HOG BBQ
03-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks rweller

QansasjayhawQ
03-20-2011, 01:45 AM
This is particularly interesting because as a cook you can judge in your same region, while knowing what teams at least were going to be at that contest that you are judging.

So, THEORETICALLY, what one could do is score every entry they get as "low as possible". If more "cook judges" were doing this, the impact would be even greater naturally.
Yeah - you're right - it could happen. But I don't think it is.

Because cooks want to be judged fairly, they seem to make excellent judges.

Q-Stream
03-20-2011, 01:28 PM
I have not heard anything from the contest director for the finals in Bentonville. I thought I got my request submitted in time, but who knows. Maybe they are putting more effort into the contests that happen earlier in the year.

Hub
03-21-2011, 08:53 AM
I just got my confirmation for Greensboro -- looks like things are starting to roll :-D

Hub

Rookie'48
03-22-2011, 01:09 PM
I just got off of the phone with Mike Lake, who is the contest co-ordinator for this region, including Overland Park. He's going to send out e-mail blasts next week sometime letting everyone know what's up.

Westexbbq
03-22-2011, 05:33 PM
For the Medford, LI contest I was able to confirm that I am on the list for judges and should receive an email from the organizer in the next few weeks.
This as of yesterday.
I am pleased.

ThomEmery
03-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Thom Emery, did you receive an e-mail or how do you know you have a seat?
When I registered The site indicated Not so for you?

1 FAT HOG BBQ
03-22-2011, 08:09 PM
when I registered it said I was registered, but no confirmation.

1 FAT HOG BBQ
03-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Anybody get a confirmation for Memphis yet?

rweller
03-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Finally got my confirmation this morning to Judge the INDY regional 8/12-13/11 from Ronnie Cates.

NeoTrout
03-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Got my confirmation this morning to judge Evergreen Park, Il. June 4th. WooHoo! :cool: