PDA

View Full Version : "The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas"

Smoke'n Ice
02-16-2011, 07:19 PM
I have just listened to over five hours of the MP3 recording of the recent BOD meeting and I am reminded of the the Bruce Durning Character portrayed in the referenced movie when he did his dance "Now You See Me, Now You Don't"

NO ONE was responsible for the Lakeland issue

NO ONE is looking to benefit from the $2,500.00 plus expenses per event paid by KCBS for the 6 to 8 contest administrators for the Sam's Club series. This number equates to $65,000.00 (SIXTY FIVE THOUSAND AND ZERO ONE HUNDENTH) PLUS EXPENSES FOR TRAVEL, LODGING, FOOD, CAR RENTAL, PARKING, MILAGE, etc.

NO ONE believes that contest saturation is an issue in CA and NV.

Just how much do we as members resemble mushrooms? If you have never seen the movie, it is a good example of "NOT ME?"

Ford
02-16-2011, 08:39 PM
You still have a lot of listening to do. And yes it is kind of the same isn't it.

ThomEmery
02-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Going to be a interesting year

Jeff Hughes
02-17-2011, 11:16 AM
I can't believe more people aren't riled up about the Sam's Club contest admin deal.

It stinks to high heaven. Jeff Stith, Thom Emery, Ron Cates and other proven organizers who are not on the BOD should be running these things...

Jorge
02-17-2011, 11:34 AM
I can't believe more people aren't riled up about the Sam's Club contest admin deal.

It stinks to high heaven. Jeff Stith, Thom Emery, Ron Cates and other proven organizers who are not on the BOD should be running these things...

I'd prefer that there was some more time to sort this out, but I don't know that there is. If legal says the 501 status isn't going to be jeopardized, I'm in favor of getting people in place this year to enhance the chances of another series next year. If that happens then their can be a detailed RFP process that eliminates the need for BoD members to take on the task.

gmholler
02-17-2011, 12:31 PM

And the reason they aren't running them is?

Sorry, I had to leave for choir practice when we were listening to Day 2 of the meeting, and when I got home what I heard led me to believe the BOD had decided to have a special meeting this coming week about that matter...was something else decided that I missed?

Thanks!

Lynn H.

Jeff Hughes
02-17-2011, 12:58 PM
And the reason they aren't running them is?

Sorry, I had to leave for choir practice when we were listening to Day 2 of the meeting, and when I got home what I heard led me to believe the BOD had decided to have a special meeting this coming week about that matter...was something else decided that I missed?

Thanks!

Lynn H.

As there are no Quick Notes or Minutes, I can only relay to you what has been relayed to me.

Evidently several BOD members are assuming the role of "contest administrator" for the Sam's Club events. These jobs pay 2500/comp plus expenses and were not offered to non BOD organizers. Guys like Thom,Jeff, and Ron were not given the chance to bid on the jobs.

I have not had time to listen to the pod cast, but at appears that Mack is confirming what I was told.

Smokedelic
02-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Finally had a chance to listen to the meeting last night. What a treat....

Re: Lakeland...I don't know who "Cliff" is, but I feel sorry for him. Hopefully, he is a bus mechanic though, because he spent an awful lot of time under one during the discussion. I think he was on the verge of being blamed for the Edsel, New Coke, and the Arch Deluxe, as well.

Re: Sam's Club...I found it interesting that several members of the Board found themselves to be uniquely qualified to be hired as event planners. Instead of searching for qualified organizers locally for each contest, these Board members felt that the right people for the job needed to have experience in organizing several events, not just their local event. This part of the meeting reminded me of someone in the cash grab booth at the fair, frantically trying to grab as much money as possible before time ran out and the fan shut off. Board members should not be able to use their position on the Board to profit from KCBS business...period. It's not allowed in the corporate world, it shouldn't be allowed for the KCBS Board.

Re: Pork Collar...Interesting discussion. The Board was well prepared on this one, as several Board members had done research before hand on the issue and were prepared to discuss. Had a subject matter expert call in to provide some additional information. Reached the logical decision to use the National Pork Board's descriptions to define the legal cuts allowed to be cooked for a contest. This was the best part of the meeting...thoughtful discussion, great input from most of the Board, and a fairly quick and decisive ruling. Ideally...how the Board should function.:clap2:

Re: New Officers...Candy promised more transparency and better communication when she ran for President. Although I was initially skeptical, I thought she actually did a great job of running her first meeting and keeping things moving. She'll have to be very strong to keep this Board in check and to fulfill her promise of better communication and transparency...I hope she was sincere and is up for the task. A nice start would be to hold Board members who are officers and/or chair committees accountable for their responsibilities. If Candy can keep the bickering on both sides to a minimum, and bring the Board as a whole off the wings and back into the plane, this could be good.

Overall, not the worst BOD meeting I've listened to, by far, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Time will tell.

...but it's just my opinion.

big brother smoke
02-17-2011, 05:23 PM
I cannot believe with all the controversey around the KCBS BOD they would take payments or stipends and add to the controversy. At least they did not try and hide it though, so I guess this speaks to the promise of transparency! :rolleyes:

Jeff Hughes
02-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Hey Mike, maybe you can get a gig from the KCBS, nice "Short Notes", thanks...

Smoke'n Ice
02-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Finally had a chance to listen to the meeting last night. What a treat....

Re: Lakeland...I don't know who "Cliff" is, but I feel sorry for him. Hopefully, he is a bus mechanic though, because he spent an awful lot of time under one during the discussion. I think he was on the verge of being blamed for the Edsel, New Coke, and the Arch Deluxe, as well.

Mike,
Did you perchance hear Don mention that the judging slips appeared to have been poorly rewritten to reflect a DQ and did not have the judges initials on them. In addition, I believe he indicated that the judges at the table whom he spoke to did not enter a DQ score but, instead, actually judged box 128. They were not aware or a DQ until later. Do you think Cliff did that?

Smokedelic
02-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Mack, I do know for sure that "Cliff" wasn't given an opportunity to give his version of the events that transpired or to defend himself.

Jeff Hughes
02-17-2011, 07:27 PM
In addition, I believe he indicated that the judges at the table whom he spoke to did not enter a DQ score but, instead, actually judged box 128. They were not aware or a DQ until later. Do you think Cliff did that?

Naw, they blamed it on Merl...

Dustaway
02-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Naw, they blamed it on Merl...

stealing my line... LOL