PDA

View Full Version : Liability Insurance To Compete (Not Vend)?

huminie
02-15-2011, 09:16 PM
A local contest I am investigating has stated that all teams, whether they vend or not, need to provide proof they have some sort of liability insurance covering them.

I have never heard of such a requirement to compete, and am just trying to get a feel for how common this is.

Here is a quote from the event organizer:

Each team needs to have some form of general liability insurance (not specific to the event) but just personal or professional coverage. Most teams should already have some form of insurance that covers your equipment and for teams that cater they will already have appropriate coverage. We just need some proof that each team has some form of coverage.If you have had to provide this, what did you do and how much did it cost you?

Bbq Bubba
02-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Ridiculous. :tsk:

TooSaucedToPork
02-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Coverage for what? If you are not vending then it shouldn't be required...In ten years of BBQing I have never seen this for a non vending team.

Neil

Alexa RnQ
02-15-2011, 09:22 PM
For which contest is this?

luckyduk
02-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Coverage for what? If you are not vending then it shouldn't be required...In ten years of BBQing I have never seen this for a non vending team.

Neil
I agree......This would limit a lot of the teams that would compete I would think

Scottie
02-15-2011, 09:29 PM
A couple of friends of mine that are brokers say I should have it. Ill be getting it before the season starts. Covers more than just them trying to pin something on you from a contest...

huminie
02-15-2011, 09:33 PM
For which contest is this?

It is called the "Bay Area BBQ Championship", an ICBA, CBBQA ToY event held at the Oakland Coliseum...Yup, the same place Raider fans tailgate and pre-game most Sunday's in the fall.

I also questioned the cost of the event...$250 to enter (early bird if you sign up 4 months early, $285 after that), $75 for 20amp power, plus costs for extra parking, ice etc etc. I was told they are modeling the cost after the HavaBBQ. Unfortunately, with a total purse of $5600, they didn't model the payout schedule after HavaBBQ's $14,000 cash payout.

Insurance will only add to the cost to compete.

If it wasn't a ToY event I wouldn't even consider it, but it is close to home so it is tempting. But so far, not impressed.

Money raised does go to a good charity, I just don't think they should be raising it from the teams competing. :roll:

4 smokin butts
02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
agreed

landarc
02-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Ah, I can answer that. Now that I know it is at the Coliseum. Alameda County policy requires that anyone who is holding an event at the Coliseum provide liability coverage for any event AND any entity participating also self-insure not only to protect against someone suing the entity, but, also protecting the County against suit arising from any injury to the entity itself. It means, if you are competing, and you do something stupid, you are insured to protect the County.

So, if you get hurt or your property gets damaged, your insurance covers the initial loss to your limits. It is similar to when i take a project on Alameda County, I have to agree to defend and insure the county.

huminie
02-15-2011, 09:48 PM
So, in that case, would a copy of my homeowners policy be sufficient?

landarc
02-15-2011, 09:48 PM
And yes, it is BS, it is also coming to a venue near you. It has been spreading throughout CA, due to some attorneys that have formed a consulting group advising municipalities that they can make laws and agreements that force people to agree to take on liability to protect the City. I have seen it in contracts in AZ and OR as well. It is going to push a lot of folks to avoid holding events at public facilities.

landarc
02-15-2011, 09:50 PM
I would talk to my agent, also, see if you have a liability umbrella. The truth is, a limited one time rider would probably be a lot cheaper. I would not want to tie my homeowners insurance to a event in a public area.

Finney
02-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Tell them to "F" off, and go somewhere else...
Tell all the cooks you know to do the same...

(just my opinion)

Alexa RnQ
02-15-2011, 10:13 PM
$250 to enter (early bird if you sign up 4 months early, $285 after that), $75 for 20amp power, plus costs for extra parking, ice etc etc. I was told they are modeling the cost after the HavaBBQ. Unfortunately, with a total purse of $5600, they didn't model the payout schedule after HavaBBQ's $14,000 cash payout.
Clearly I'm missing something here.
$325 - $360 to enter for a $5600 purse? Plus extra costs for parking/ice/whatever?

I just entered Havasu today -- $300 (we long ago missed the early bird) includes electricity, and as you point out, the purse is $14K. I'm not aware of any extra charges. Not to mention we're getting a KCBS contest with CBJs, and an organizer that put on a first-rate show last year.

The only thing the organizers of the Bay Area event should be hearing from the teams is profound silence.

There is a regrettable tendency of late for some events to stick the teams for whatever they can, and count on filling their spots with inexperienced teams who don't know any better. Teams that put up with that treatment will be getting more of it.

The fact is that there's no contest without the teams, and they deserve a bit more than funding their own prize pool. There will be a minimum of $10,400 taken in entry fees if they get their max 32 teams for a California ToY IBCA event, and only half of that is coming back? And they expect income from PC sales as well?

It'd be easier to just all stand in a circle in the parking lot, pass a $100 bill around the circle, and then all go home without the expense, mess and wear-and-tear of cooking.

landarc
02-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Interesting, I thought that comp had a larger prize pool than $5600. Sounds very uninteresting.

huminie
02-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Thank you for your perspectives.

The case prize pool is indeed $5600.

Costs to enter include: $250/$285 entry fee which gets you a space and a parking spot. Additional parking spots can be purchased for $17 (RVs require 2). Power is $75 for 20amp or $90 for 40amp. 7lb of ice can be pre-paid at $2.50/bag, or $3.50/bag onsite. Water is $1.25/gal in advance, or $2.00/gal at the event.

Oh, and if you want to do PC you have a couple options. You can donate all of your meat and they will pay the $132 county vending permit for you. Or you can pay $132 permit fee and split your PC money 50/50 with them.

I don't compete "for the money" and know it is an expensive hobby, but this just seems unreasonable to me. It really seems like they are putting their fundraising effort squarely on the back of the competitors. Ugh.

Brewer
02-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Tell them to "F" off, and go somewhere else

+1...F those guys.

bigdogphin
02-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Not all contests are worth entering.

big brother smoke
02-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Wow, will not even think about this one!:tsk:

swamprb
02-15-2011, 11:34 PM
I was making plans to be in the Bay Area and thought this would be a cool event to check out and possibly cook with relatives, but now I'll see if the Giants are in town instead.

Crash
02-16-2011, 12:52 AM
The only thing the organizers of the Bay Area event should be hearing from the teams is profound silence.

Well said Alexa. I completely agree.

CBQ
02-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Water is $1.25/gal in advance, or $2.00/gal at the event

Wow. I used about 80 gallons at my last event. (Yes, including showers for 4 people and dishwashing.)

An event with that kind of entry fee should have a 15-20k price pool.

In the NE, Norwalk is one of the most expensive events, but they throw in a lobster dinner for the teams (sorry Skip), have a 20k prize pool, and have about 15 different contests you can enter, not just the 4 KCBS meats. Oh, and water is included.

landarc
02-16-2011, 12:21 PM
For an event that has the A's as a sponsor, and an excellent charity connected to it, I am amazed at how poorly it is organized and the lack of contributions to offset some of the costs.

I would add, in terms of comp sites, the Coliseum would really not be my choice.

musicmanryann
02-16-2011, 12:29 PM
I cannot envision a scenario in which this contest will be successfull. $2.00/gal for water?! Are you farking kidding me?!

Slamdunkpro
02-16-2011, 12:53 PM
There is a regrettable tendency of late for some events to stick the teams for whatever they can, and count on filling their spots with inexperienced teams who don't know any better. Teams that put up with that treatment will be getting more of it.

The fact is that there's no contest without the teams, and they deserve a bit more than funding their own prize pool. There will be a minimum of $10,400 taken in entry fees if they get their max 32 teams for a California ToY IBCA event, and only half of that is coming back? And they expect income from PC sales as well?

It'd be easier to just all stand in a circle in the parking lot, pass a $100 bill around the circle, and then all go home without the expense, mess and wear-and-tear of cooking.

They're probably planning on charging the general public admission as well.

I fear that insurance, vending permits & health department requirements are the unfortunate wave of the future as BBQ events receive more publicity and local governments seek new ways to try and fill their empty coffers.

Almost every call or email I get from a potential organizer seeking help starts with some variation of "We thought a BBQ comp would make a great fundraiser for (insert cause here)" when asked where the revenue would be generated from their first answer is always "The entry fees".

LongTong
02-16-2011, 01:12 PM
The liability portion of a Homeowner's, Condo, or Renter's policy generaly covers the insured both on and off the named address. You may want to check your specific policy for restrictions. If your outfit/team is a business, liability for that must be obtained.

For Example:

Your golfing at a public range and you accidentally lose your club on your backswing and end up nailing another party causing $30,000.00 dollars damage to the other party's face plus an ambulance ride. If he sues you becuase you cannot control your clubs, your covered.

JD McGee
02-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Run away...very fast...and very far!

landarc
02-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Long Tong, I would generally agree with you about the insurance aspect of this. Sadly, I am all to familiar with dealings in Alameda County and this part of Oakland in specific. I have done many projects in this area and know folks that have done plenty as well. My warning is that I would not want to get into a worse case scenario where my homeowners insurance is at risk for a public access event in this area. And yes, I have done work at this facility, we designed several of the amenities this site. And I do have a bad taste for the management, tenants and county as a result of it.

Slamdunkpro, to be honest, if I was going to vend or cater in CA, I would be very sure to have insurance and pay for all my fees that would insure that I have health department inspections, at least so I can point to the certificates.

swamprb
02-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Its an IBCA event. www.bayareabbq.org (http://www.bayareabbq.org)

The CBBQA raises funds for childrens charities. But I also notice they sock you for a membership fee to take some of their classes. When I asked out loud in another thread, I was told it was for insurance reasons.

G$
02-16-2011, 03:00 PM
When I started reading this thread, I got angry about where we are heading as a society, so I took a few moments to calm myself, examine the facts, and I came back with a fresh perspective.

And now I am twice as angry.

G$
02-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Its an IBCA event. www.bayareabbq.org (http://www.bayareabbq.org)

The CBBQA raises funds for childrens charities. But I also notice they sock you for a membership fee to take some of their classes. When I asked out loud in another thread, I was told it was for insurance reasons.

All those considering cooking this should pitch in 25 bucks and give it direct to a children's charity, find a member's house and do a rib contest instead. Grand prize is an Alameda County Tax Collector's Ribbon.

It represents better "EV" and doesn't reward this kind of thinking.

Andrews
02-16-2011, 03:24 PM
It is called the "Bay Area BBQ Championship", an ICBA, CBBQA ToY event held at the Oakland Coliseum...Yup, the same place Raider fans tailgate and pre-game most Sunday's in the fall.

I also questioned the cost of the event...$250 to enter (early bird if you sign up 4 months early, $285 after that), $75 for 20amp power, plus costs for extra parking, ice etc etc. I was told they are modeling the cost after the HavaBBQ. Unfortunately, with a total purse of $5600, they didn't model the payout schedule after HavaBBQ's $14,000 cash payout.

Insurance will only add to the cost to compete.

If it wasn't a ToY event I wouldn't even consider it, but it is close to home so it is tempting. But so far, not impressed.

Money raised does go to a good charity, I just don't think they should be raising it from the teams competing. :roll:

We did Havasu last year and I don't recall having to show any kind of coverage. Is HavaBBQ asking for it ths year, I havn't seen the entry form yet.

huminie
02-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. The insurance requirement isn't modeled after Havasu...just the cost structure of the event. Meaning the organizer really didn't know what to charge teams to enter, so they looked at what it cost to enter HavaBBQ and went from there. But again, they didn't model their payout schedule.

The children's charity is no doubt a good one. And I have no problem doing charity work. I just don't think that the teams should be the ones providing the majority of the fundraising.

Here's another weird thing about this contest. If you do decide to pony up the $132 to vend at the 50/50 split, PC runs from 10am till Noon. Yup, right in the middle of turn ins (chicken at 9:30, ribs 10:30, pork 11:30 and brisket 12:30). Two hours to vend, and right in the middle of turning in your entries to the judges.

Andrews
02-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. The insurance requirement isn't modeled after Havasu...just the cost structure of the event. Meaning the organizer really didn't know what to charge teams to enter, so they looked at what it cost to enter HavaBBQ and went from there. But again, they didn't model their payout schedule.

The children's charity is no doubt a good one. And I have no problem doing charity work. I just don't think that the teams should be the ones providing the majority of the fundraising.

Here's another weird thing about this contest. If you do decide to pony up the $132 to vend at the 50/50 split, PC runs from 10am till Noon. Yup, right in the middle of turn ins (chicken at 9:30, ribs 10:30, pork 11:30 and brisket 12:30). Two hours to vend, and right in the middle of turning in your entries to the judges.

Thanks for the clarification, Sound like a "pass" contest to me....

smoke-n-my-i's
02-16-2011, 05:28 PM
I too would tell them so keep the event that I would be going elsewhere.... and tell them why.

I may be a little paranoid, but I have looked into liability insurance for competing. Here is why. As you know, so many people will sue over anything . If a person wanders into your site, stumbles, falls, get a scratch (or worse), they can sue you for whatever reason. I have my L.L.C. now, and if I had not wrecked the truck and trailer, was going to add a $2,000,000 liability policy to cover just the comps side. This does two fold. The L.L.C. covers my personal property, and the insurance covers my hind end if someone does get stupid. The policy here was like just under $300 a year.

I was also told, that as long as my trailer was hooked to the truck, the truck policy liability insurance would cover. ???? I am still a little not sure if they were to fall/hit something else besides the truck or trailer....

But, I would tell the organizer to not be offended if you did not come. All the events that I have been to, you have not had to buy electric, water was provided, and the entry fee was $250 with more payout that that.....

landarc
02-16-2011, 05:29 PM
It is just the case that the organizers have not clearly thought out the process of putting together a charity event. I know some of the CBBQA folks that have had some input and I think their involvement has helped to make this happen at all. But, it seems to me, as a person that has been involved in charity fundraisers, that there is a disconnect and the folks putting this event together are missing a few of the pieces.

I remember a few years back, a group wanted to put a BBQ comp together at the Fairgrounds, and the folks organizing it just could not get it together. I was asked to input, as I was involved with a horse charity ( I always said, I hate horses, but I love riding equestriennes) and most of the points I made fell on deaf ears. BBQ comps are a unique enterprise, I would like to see one happen out here. But, this one seems to be limping right now.

landarc
02-16-2011, 05:31 PM
A year of liability to $1,000,000 for vending in CA is somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 if it is your primary business.

If you look at post #11 on this link (http://www.cbbqa.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=14403), you will see the answers the organizer contact is offering up.

Jennifer Harper
02-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Hello BBQ Brethren,

I want to introduce myself and the Bay Area BBQ Championship (www.bayareabbq.org (http://www.bayareabbq.org)) to you all. Alternative Family Services (www.afs4kids (http://www.afs4kids)) has been working with the IBCA and Major League Baseball's Oakland Athletics since June 2010 to create this unique competiiton at the Oakland Coliseum on July 16, 2011 prior to the A's double header against the LA Angels. It is a private event with a maximum attendance of 3,500 people. Certified judges, celebrities and local VIPs will make up the final judging seats.

Working with Major League Baseball and the Oakland A's has created some different criteria than many teams are used to so I wanted to clear up any miscommunications and answer any of your questions. The A's are requiring two things in the area of insurance:
1) We the event sponsor will purchase special event insurance to cover ALL aspects of the event including People's Choice, teams, attendees, entertainers, etc.
2) Each team or team captain must have some form of general liability insurance in their personal or professional life that in case a team member is injured or their equipment is damaged the team will not sue the A's or Major League Baseball. Teams are NOT required to purchase any additional or special insurance.

We are also happy to work with each and every team in regards to insurance, rate reductions (specifically around power) and we have created a variety of ways for teams to recoup their costs.

Please contact me directly at (510)759-1271 or at jharper@afs4kids.org if you have any Bay Area BBQ Championship questions and of course we invite any of you to be one of the 32 teams facing off in this event.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Harper, M.A., M.B.A.
Director of Development and Marketing
Alternative Family Services & Bay Area BBQ Championship

wormdrink67
02-16-2011, 06:40 PM
How ridiculous.

HBMTN
02-16-2011, 10:32 PM
If that comp fills up with teams you can bet other comps will follow. I have the copverage but only because I have a business.

swamprb
02-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Where is Thom Emery when we need him??

I lifted this response from the CBBQA site on the subject.

Hello Everyone,
This is your Bay Area BBQ Championship contact-Jennifer. This being a first time event and being held in conjunction with an A's game is raising many great questions which I hope to answer. If I do not answer them, please feel free to contact me directly at (510)759-1271. We want 32 happy teams participating so we are happy to work with you all. Here are some answers to some questions that are coming up:

Event Insurance: Since this is the first of its kind pro-cookoff in conjunction with Major League Baseball and the Oakland A's they have asked us-the event sponsor- to be sure that each team has some form of general liability insurance. You do not need to purchase any special insurance as long as in your personal or professional life you have some form of general liability coverage. Each team will also be covered under our own Special Event Insurance. The A's want to see how this event materialized this year and would like to make this an annual event so I understand they are being cautious. That said, please DO NOT let the whole idea of insurance scare you away. I am sure most teams already have some form of insurance that will qualify. We will work with each team directly to make sure this is the case.

Power: We are happy to reduce the fee for power ($25 for teams that need very little, and $50 for teams that need moderate). This obviously is hard to gauge so I will put it to the honor system for you to tell us what your needs are.

Event layout: This is an Advanced Ticket Sales only event with a maximum of 3,500 people (also per the agreement with the A's since we are having the event in the Coliseum lot the day of an A's double header). There will be a live stage show, including a Throwdown with the Facebook Culinary Team vs a yet to be named competitor). The final judges will be made up of CBJs, local Celebrities (food critics, foodies, athletes, tv personalities, etc) and VIPS. The preliminary judges are made up of our community partners that work with our agency (CVS, IKON Office Solutions, the Safeway Foundation, etc). So we will be able to tell teams participating in PC ezactly how many people will be attending the event as every person must pre-purchase their ticket packages (operationally we have been setting this up since June 2010).

PC: The PC winner gets $500 and the runner up gets $250. We are really looking forward to having many teams participate in PC as there will be many food industry people at the event as well as many foster children, youth and parents who have never had the opportunity to experience an event like this. We have worked out with Alameda County that teams participating in PC that are willing to donate the food they are vending, the $132 fee will be waived. You may also collect all your PC tickets and turn them in for a tax write off of $1 each.

Hopefully this has answered some of the recurring questions. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with your Bay Area BBQ Championship questions. Please check the event website regulary www.bayareabbq.org, as it is updated daily with new developments.
Sincerely,
Jennifer Harper, M.A.,M.B.A.
(510)759-1271 jharper@afs4kdis.org

Looks like the Giants are on the road, guess I'll be sittin' by the pool in Sebastopol!

bigdogphin
02-16-2011, 11:24 PM
The problem seems to be the entry fee vs payout and the failure of the contest to realize that a contest like this will cost a cooking team over a 1000 dollars to do. There is no additional income going into the prize pool, it all comes from entry fees. This contest might get some teams to sign up because its a high profile venue but further planning is needed.

Jennifer Harper
02-17-2011, 01:25 AM
Hello BBQ Brethren Forum,

As mentioned in my previous post working with Major League Baseball, the Oakland A's and the County of Alameda has created some very unique circumstances for this event. We are working with each and every team and certainly know and appreciate the time, energy, dedication and money that goes into each of these events.

I invite you to visit the event website at www.bayareabbq.org (http://www.bayareabbq.org) or conatact me directly with specific event questions as there are a variety of ways that teams can recoup their costs in this event outside of the prize pool and all of the team's entry fees goes directly back to the teams. Our agency, Alternative Family Services (www.afs4kids.org (http://www.afs4kids.org)) does not intend on using the teams as a revenue stream. Quite the opposite, we want this event to be a great showcase for competitive BBQ as we have invited many food industry contact (chefs, critics, columnists, etc.) and the event will receive media attention.

This event has generated a lot of positive energy and has also raised questions as there are many details that are not typical of other events. Thank you for your time and please feel free to contact me directly at (510)759-1271 or at jharper@afs4kids.org to answer any Bay Area BBQ Championship questions.

Thanks,
Jennifer Harper

landarc
02-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Brian, Thom doesn't come north beyond Santa Maria, I think he doesn't consider us to be a part of the same state :becky: (at least I think he wishes it wasn't)

If I were a professional caterer or professional BBQ team, this would be an event I would certainly consider. Maybe you pro's ought to come on out, so I can visit ya'lls.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
02-17-2011, 07:07 PM
I just happen to talk to my agent today. For $20 a month I've got liability and coverage on all my gear with a $250 deductible. This doesn't cover vending but some peace of mind for sure.

goodsmokebbq
02-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Wow. I used about 80 gallons at my last event. (Yes, including showers for 4 people and dishwashing.)

An event with that kind of entry fee should have a 15-20k price pool.

In the NE, Norwalk is one of the most expensive events, but they throw in a lobster dinner for the teams (sorry Skip), have a 20k prize pool, and have about 15 different contests you can enter, not just the 4 KCBS meats. Oh, and water is included.

Just got to wait for the tide to come in and then go out and presto... site is clean :-P

stan
02-17-2011, 10:37 PM

Do you have a minimum amt of liability that you must have. Your homeowners policy would cover you for your liability as long as this is not a business for you. I would recommend a umbrella policy for everyone. They are not that expensive.

HBMTN
02-18-2011, 07:32 PM
I just happen to talk to my agent today. For $20 a month I've got liability and coverage on all my gear with a $250 deductible. This doesn't cover vending but some peace of mind for sure.

I have $1,000,000 liability coverage and coverage for my trailer for my catering/concessions business for what they quoted you.

River City Smokehouse
02-19-2011, 10:36 AM
First off I think the insurance requirement is totally ridiculous. Especially if you are not vending. I'm sure they are thinking it will release them from any liability. Also IMO the entry fee and purse ratio is WAY off. I for one wouldn't even consider that contest. I'd rather find two contests with $150-$175 entry fees instead. Shop around, that contest isn't going to pay off. The insurance cost for $1,000,000 liability would be around $300 per year. That is a awful big addition to your overhead in a contest that has such a low purse.

landarc
02-19-2011, 06:03 PM
There is a lot of discussion going on about this competition over on the CBBQA board and there seems to be some assumptions going on in terms of the idea that the teams are mostly going to be professional teams that have insurance in place already, or that most teams would be inclined to use their homeowners insurance in lieu of professional insurance and the representative of the organizer is trying to clarify that the prize pool is just one source of compensation, as there will be vending opportunities and tax benefits as well.

I think it could end up being a very good event if you are a medium sized catering or vending company. I think the assumption that most BBQ teams are in some way professionals will limit the teams that can make an event like this pay off. But, I certainly give them kudos for trying to do something interesting and for getting out there to clarify as much as possible.

I am going to be interested to see who competes and if the list represent the cream of the crop of CA or Bay Area competitive BBQ.

Babyboomerboy
02-19-2011, 06:37 PM
I need to know if we are out of line with our cook off. We have a $125. entry fee that includes, free electric, free water, free ice, entry in all four meat categories, dessert category, free pork butts for our People's Choice category and entry into our Friday night Cook's Choice category. We also give away free home made ice cream for the cook's at our cook's midnight swim party, at the city pool. Our cash prizes total $5,000.00 which is just $600 under this contest. Should we be rethinking our entry fee?

watertowerbbq
02-19-2011, 09:31 PM
I need to know if we are out of line with our cook off. We have a $125. entry fee that includes, free electric, free water, free ice, entry in all four meat categories, dessert category, free pork butts for our People's Choice category and entry into our Friday night Cook's Choice category. We also give away free home made ice cream for the cook's at our cook's midnight swim party, at the city pool. Our cash prizes total $5,000.00 which is just $600 under this contest. Should we be rethinking our entry fee?
That entry fee is definately not out of line.

Crash
02-20-2011, 06:22 AM

We'd cook it if we could. What sanctioning body?

Babyboomerboy
02-20-2011, 07:22 AM
We'd cook it if we could. What sanctioning body?

This will be our 3rd year with KCBS.

ClayHill
02-20-2011, 07:47 AM

I'd love to see an entry fee and contest like that around here........dont change your fees just because someone in CA is doing it that way!!! If you can make it work that way(with current entry fee) I'd say leave it for the sake of your local competitors

G$
02-20-2011, 12:14 PM

I have to be honest with you:

If there were contests like that local to me, I'd cook them every week. Well done.

CivilWarBBQ
02-21-2011, 09:34 PM
I have to be honest with you:

If there were contests like that local to me, I'd cook them every week. Well done.

Agreed.

And if our local contests were set up like this Bay Area event, I would quit Competition BBQ entirely!

crd26a
02-21-2011, 10:16 PM

That isn't out of line at all, and is a little on the low side for the KC / KS area. I've heard nothing but great things about the Yates Center contest, and if I didn't have 2 contests on my schedule for July (solo competitor) I'd come there in a heartbeat for that.

Divemaster
02-24-2011, 08:26 AM
First of all I think we have two issues here.

The contest fee structure is so out of line IMHO that I would put the poster up just to show my team what to avoid.

The insurance part has me thinking. As a stick burnner, I can't count how many times I've had to warn people off to stay away from my Lang. I even got into arguments over it more than once!!! I'll be on the phone with my agent this morning.

I wish I could find a contest around here for that price!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk