PDA

View Full Version : Goode Company BBQ in Houston, TX

watertowerbbq
02-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Anyone ever eaten at Goode Company BBQ in Houston on Kirby Drive, near Rice University? Any comments, good or bad? Thanks.

paperboy98
02-15-2011, 08:12 PM
BBQ is like girls......one I think is pretty, you might think is ugly. That said, I don't care for Goode at all, even though my brother in law just loves it. They do have some good sides, but the meat is average to me.
I found a place om Voss called Bakers Ribs, and I like them much better. Have had pulled pork and ribs, several times. Also good choice of sides. Their food is more like that I would cook. Just my humble opinion as a BBQ lover and Houston traveler.
paperboy98

High Q
02-15-2011, 08:59 PM
I live here so asking about Goode Co. is cliche, it's like eating at Morton's Steak House in Chicago - everybody outside Chicago thinks its the best steak on the planet, everybody in Chicago knows a place that their Uncle Jack knows, behind the Greek bar on State that has the best steak on the planet.

Another good, well known spot is Luling City Market (a shadow of the real City Market but a shadow of the real thing is still very good). It's on Richmond just inside the loop.

Do both have good quality BBQ in a friendly environment, you bet. Do I go there? From time to time, typically for a business lunch or for a beer........But my Uncle Jack knows a place......up in Acres Homes.....across from the courthouse.............now, that's a place.

High Q
02-15-2011, 09:03 PM
....oops forgot an important thing......

Let me know when you'll be here. If I can meet you and guide you around, be glad to do so. My work schedule is very difficult but I'll be your dining guide if it works out.

krandy21784
02-16-2011, 09:34 AM
I had a brisket sandwich from them at Rodeo a couple of years ago and if that was typical of their food then I would say it was the best Ive ever had. That being said, my son has several that he likes better

Jorge
02-16-2011, 10:16 AM
I like their pies, and jalapeno/cheese bread.:becky:

kbraun228
02-16-2011, 10:35 AM
I lived in Houston for 3 years and ate there frequently. That was before I started making my own Q, which in turn, has turned me into a BBQ snob, but I enjoyed their brisket, turkey, jalapeņo bread and baked beans. I haven't been back in a while, but I'd say try it and see if you like it. Good grub IMHO :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westexbbq
02-16-2011, 11:06 AM
I ate at the one on the Katy Freeway a couple of times and enjoyed it very much; not necessarily the best I've ever had, but still mighty tasty. The pecan pie was outstanding.

snoqualmiesmoker
03-17-2011, 11:49 PM
I like the way their brisket and their sauce mix together. good stuff.

watertowerbbq
03-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Just got back today. I didn't get with anyone because our schedule was impossible. I went there on Monday night. I was standing in line and told the guy in front of me that this was my first time there and he said all the sides were great and this was the best bbq around.

I went with the 3 meat combo platter with ribs, brisket and jalapeno sausage. I told them to put on the sauce which turned out to be a mistake. I normally go for beans and potato salad for the sides, but the guy in front of me had the beans and dirty rice, so I copied him because the cole slaw and potato salad looked like the same stuff you get out of a bucket from Sam's. I also had a slice of the cheese bread and a coke.

FWIW, the sauced killed the meat. The sausage was great and the brisket was drowned in so much sauce I can't really say how it stood on it's own. The ribs we ok in flavor, but tough. I did not really care for the beans, but the rice was ok. If I was to do it again, I think I would have gotten a jalapeno sausage dinner, skipped the sides, added another slice of the cheese bread and another order of the brisket and NO SAUCE. I bet a brisket sandwhich on that bread with some extra bites of sausage would have been great.

I can tell you that they were very quick and I ate at the picnic tables outside. Nice atmosphere although I wasn't fond of the pigeons walking on the tables.

All in all, if I was there and someone wanted to go and have dinner there, I'd go again, although next time I'd probably just go to Pappadeaux's for dinenr.

Bigmista
03-27-2011, 08:14 PM
You mean Pappa's doesn't own Goode, Co.? They seem to own everything else...

txschutte
03-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Pappa's has BBQ, too. Remember? Just inside the loop on 45 South. THE 2ND WORST BBQ EVER.

High Q
03-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Told you to call me........

watertowerbbq
03-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Told you to call me........
If I had a more defined schedule, I definately would have given you a call. This was a company sponsored project management training program and our schedule was all over the place. Most days we left the hotel at 6:45 and didn't get done until 6:00 - 8:00 pm. Most of the time spent after getting back to Hotel ZaZa was spent with the others working on homework. Learned a lot, but darned tired. I do appreciate the offer though. If I ever get back to Houston under less stressful circumstances I'll let you know.

dimnurse
04-03-2011, 07:38 AM
If you get a chance? Try Thelmas on Scott street close to Texas Southern University. She runs out of food around 5 so get there early.

Mad Max
04-03-2011, 05:44 PM
When I was in Houston, about 2 years ago, and was pointed to Goode's by John Henry's son, Abercrombie. He told us it was a starting point, for our quest for good brisket, and he did caution me that they try and push the sauce and that it was a franchise place. I got a combo sandwich with brisket and polish sausage and went back twice, on a four day stay. Brisket was well cooked, moist and tender, without any sauce added. As far as the rest of their BBQ menu, I couldn't tell you. I target BBQ, by the area, when in Texas, I looked for brisket.