PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment JD Breast Cancer BBQ Contest, Willowbrook, IL - June 4-5th, 2011

Scottie
02-15-2011, 11:01 AM
This will be a KCBS contest that is a Saturday/Sunday contest. For those that are cooking the Evergreen Park, IL contest for the Sam's series, this is the same weekend, so the potential for a double header is there, if you so choose. Willowbrook is about 20-25 miles from Evergreen Park.

This contest will be raising money for cancer research. I know that for now, they will have limited space. There is also talk that this contest will team up with the Westmont contest, that is one week before this one, for the highest scoring team at both events.

Hope to see you there!

Also, for those that care. It is also my birthday weekend. I prefer Jack Black label or very cold Gentleman Jack... Then again, I could be talked into vodka lemonades or Mai Tai's... :becky:

http://www.jdbreastcancerfund.org/

Scottie
02-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Crap... Sorry mods. I messed up the heading and didn't include the location...

Ron_L
02-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Crap... Sorry mods. I messed up the heading and didn't include the location...

I've got your back (-to-back) :-)

Scottie
02-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks Ron. I figured you'd come along and save me...

BearCat
02-15-2011, 11:43 AM
This looks like a good cause, and close to home. I am 94% sure we will make this one

Ken V
02-15-2011, 01:13 PM
I think I am in on this one.

billm
02-15-2011, 01:16 PM
my app is in..im glad to see more interest in this contest this year..it was very well run last year considering it was a first time contest with no sanctioning and it IS for a good cause

Ron_L
02-15-2011, 01:18 PM
This looks like a good cause, and close to home. I am 94% sure we will make this one

Well, I borrowed some CPU time from GoodbuddiesBBQ's super computer and have come up with a 94.12% chance that we will be there.

:becky: :becky: :becky:

jdbh
02-15-2011, 03:52 PM
How limited is the space

Scottie
02-15-2011, 04:02 PM
i want to say Steve said 35, but would look to add more space if it fills up. He wasn't sure on that...

jdbh
02-15-2011, 04:15 PM
I think were in, I got to talk it over with the wife, That will be 3 weekends in a row, atleast wont have to take of friday for this one already a short week at work with the holiday.

philw
02-16-2011, 05:43 AM
this is close for me also .
think i will get in?

Stoke&Smoke
02-16-2011, 08:46 AM
We may do this one also. One of the wife's high school freinds asked us to cater thier 25th anniversary party, and said it'd be sometime in early June, so we have to make sure it doesn't conflict. If we're clear, we'll be there.

Hard to pass up since it's even closer to us than Westmont

Three porks
05-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Does anybody know if they are still accepting team applications? Were hoping to make this a double headed.

billm
05-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Does anybody know if they are still accepting team applications? Were hoping to make this a double headed.
yes they are..according to the organizer he has 20 some teams now and room for about 40

Ron_L
05-04-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm increasing m the probability of us showing up to 100%!

See you all there!

BearCat
05-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Ok I can confirm that we are at 100% now also.

Stoke&Smoke
05-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Sent in our app a week or two ago. Just couldn't pass up a comp 10 minutes from home!

Scottie
05-04-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm hoping to break out the Jambo for this one.

Stoke&Smoke
05-04-2011, 12:30 PM

Not taking it to Westmont?

Ron_L
05-04-2011, 12:38 PM

I hope it doesn't rain. :becky:

Scottie
05-04-2011, 01:24 PM
I am not screwing around at westmont. I want the damn win!!! ;)

Honestly, I have no clue where the application for title is with the state. So I probably will not have my plates by then. No plates means no insurance. It doesn't leave the garage with no insurance.

And Ron... I have a special Ez-Up to protect it from the rain... ;)

Ron_L
05-04-2011, 02:29 PM
And Ron... I have a special Ez-Up to protect it from the rain... ;)

Why doesn't that surprise me :becky:

Divemaster
05-04-2011, 04:24 PM
I know that I sent in our app a while ago... Looking forward to the double header!

BearCat
05-18-2011, 01:21 PM
resurrecting this one, I was wandering if anyone had an idea of how many teams will be doing the B2B points chase?

4 smokin butts
05-18-2011, 01:59 PM
were in for both

tartag
05-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Hi all;
Figured now was as good a time as any to jump in and say, "hey".
I judged last years event (non-sanctioned) and decided this year would be my first competition :crazy: I'm excited to participate.
I've registered for the event as: GatRat Smoke Works (last name backwards...)

I look forward to meeting you,
-tartag
(scottie, I'm more of a Beam guy but would love to raise a glass ;) )

billm
06-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Hi all;
Figured now was as good a time as any to jump in and say, "hey".
I judged last years event (non-sanctioned) and decided this year would be my first competition :crazy: I'm excited to participate.
I've registered for the event as: GatRat Smoke Works (last name backwards...)

I look forward to meeting you,
-tartag
(scottie, I'm more of a Beam guy but would love to raise a glass ;) )
look forward to meeting you..I may have last year
hopefully the westmont weather wont rear its ugy head again this weekend

Stoke&Smoke
06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
hopefully the westmont weather wont rear its ugy head again this weekend

God I hope not Bill! Inside of my truck looks like Woodstock! Got home Saturday night and felt like I had trenchfoot! I think the shoes I was wearing might just be toast!

Can't tell ya how "good" it felt to go do this the next morning...
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/2SkinnyCooks/memday1.jpg
That M1 felt like a farkin cinderblock! Props to the boys that had to carry those things for real!

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Willowbrook. We'll be there around 3-4 hopefully. Have a food drop in Naperville to do first.

jdbh
06-01-2011, 08:13 PM
i will be there teamates are in the nothwoods walleye fishing, hope it dosent rain

EatonHoggBBQ
06-02-2011, 06:09 AM
I hope it doesn't rain. :becky:

Hmmmmm, when was the last time it rained :rain: at a contest in Illinois. :pray:

tartag
06-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Ok... I've undergone a name change... In retrospect, last name backwards or not the association with a "Rat" and food probably is ill advised. I've been re-registered as: "Catahoula 'Que"
See ya there. Cheers,
-tartag

tartag
06-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Well gotta say I had a great time at my first event. Wanted to throw a huge shout out to Bear Cat Smokers! Joe was a huge help (even if I only believed 1/10 of what he was telling me) :) Same to Mark (? I think it was Mark, i consumed a lot of gin...) "Damn you judge #4!" (now he knows who I mean) whose feedback on my blind box certainly upped my "appearance" score.

Lessons learned:
1) Cook all four categories. Having a frantic KCBS official run into your camp screaming 'Your chicken is late - did you forget your chicken!!!' made me realize cooking only 2 just aint normal...
2) Apparently playing Texas Hold 'em with a peaknuckle deck at a KCBS event is ok...
3) Make sure at turn in I'm well before or after Scott's entry...

Again; thanks everyone I enjoyed it and am sure I'll continue,
-tartag
Catahoula 'Que

Stoke&Smoke
06-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Ya did good! And I remember the judge #4 comment from Saturday night shot fairy rounds. You're right, Joe IS a good guy!

Very odd contest in some ways. I didn't make the cooks meeting, but was told nobody could hear there, and I know nobody could hear at the awards.

Only pages 1 and two of the 6 we should have gotten, would like to see if KCBS can supply the remaining pages.

Still scratching my head over the comment card I got on pork. I let them get away from me a bit, so yes, it was overdone, and maybe a bit mushy. but ""The pork tasted rancid like it was old and expired, also mushy texture to it" Does that mean everyone from 15th place pork down had pork that tasted worse than rancid?:becky:

Pork scores were 888 966 899 989 878 and 855...wonder which judge he was:mad2:

I think we are one step closer to a new trailer....first the AC distribution transformer goes, then one of the crane cables on the back corner! Thanks Moose BBQ for the loan of the PVC "strut" Saved our weekend!

Overall, I hope the organizers learned they need beefier power, as there were quite a few power issues. Thankfuly we ran on generator power all weekend, so no worries. I thought they did a pretty good job for a second time event, and would go again, they just needed to manage space a little better.

Congrats to Team Dude, The Powers of BBQ, and all those who walked!

Now I have to go fix my trailer!

SuperQue
06-07-2011, 04:23 PM
The infamous "Judge #4" here checking in and I wanted to say thanks to Joe for letting me help and introducing to many of the fine folks there and welcoming me in. I such a great time being there and I hope to do it again. Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to make me feel welcome and I hope to see you soon.

Ron_L
06-07-2011, 07:54 PM
All I will say is that the next time we cook a competition in the middle of a cottonwood forest I am going to bring a huge net to put over our whole comp site! :-D

billm
06-08-2011, 07:43 AM
The infamous "Judge #4" here checking in and I wanted to say thanks to Joe for letting me help and introducing to many of the fine folks there and welcoming me in. I such a great time being there and I hope to do it again. Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to make me feel welcome and I hope to see you soon.

good meeting you

billm
06-08-2011, 07:44 AM
All I will say is that the next time we cook a competition in the middle of a cottonwood forest I am going to bring a huge net to put over our whole comp site! :-D
funny stuff Ron..yea it was fun setting up turn in boxes with those things sticking to the meat..:mad: