PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Smokin' on Big Creek, Pleasant Hill, Missouri (April 1-2, 2011)

Jeff_in_KC
02-15-2011, 12:08 AM
As of today, we are at exactly 1/3 full already at 22 teams! After Kookers Kare Winterfest this weekend (where many contest entries are raffled), we will fill up VERY quickly! In fact, last year, I was handed about six or so entries after the raffle. More details and the entry form online at www.SmokinOnBigCreekBBQ.com (http://www.SmokinOnBigCreekBBQ.com). It's also $20 cheaper to get entered prior to March 1. We have 100% CBJs already signed up and hope to get close to last year's $10,000 prize purse!

Just Pulin' Pork
02-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Sticks-N-Chicks will be there!

Fat Woody
02-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Fullwood Bros' check is in the mail!

Rookie'48
02-15-2011, 12:41 AM
I'll be there judging again! It's a great contest.

Just Pulin' Pork
02-15-2011, 12:47 AM

Dave, beers at our trailer friday night! Looking forward to seeing you.

Jon

Solidkick
02-15-2011, 07:34 AM
Oh, how I remember the Mexican potluck...you talk about some go eats!

I haven't heard yet if the Brethren National Team is making a return trip to cook this one. Teresa and I have talked about coming and cooking this one, but it probably will just end us as talk. We would be a late entry for sure.

Great contest!

Diva
02-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Oh, how I remember the Mexican potluck...

Come back and "live" it again! ;-) Slabs will be signing up after Kookers Kare this weekend. We'll have the potluck again and hopefully I can talk the MooCow Men into bringing their margarita machine!!!!

moocow
02-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Come back and "live" it again! ;-) Slabs will be signing up after Kookers Kare this weekend. We'll have the potluck again and hopefully I can talk the MooCow Men into bringing their margarita machine!!!!
The margarita machine can defiantly be arranged!!! This is one our favorite contest of the year and we are just volunteers! Look forward to seeing everyone.

Fat Woody
02-15-2011, 10:46 AM

And will you be importing any Templeton? Inquiring minds want to know!

4 smokin butts
02-15-2011, 10:54 AM
were in ,our first year,jeff told me its the best

matthew burt
02-15-2011, 11:21 AM
I will be making the drive from Nebraska! my check will be in the mail this week.....How much sweet talking do I have to do to get a spot close to turn ins Jeff? I will be cooking solo as of right now!

monty3777
02-15-2011, 11:33 AM
If you'll have us, this will be the first KCBS comp for Monty's Little Monsters. I'm impressed: $180 entry fee, 30x30 spaces?!?! See you there.

Jorge
02-15-2011, 11:39 AM

I'm so in for this. I marked a brisket in the freezer for carne guisada yesterday, with Pleasant Hill in mind.

Bigdog
02-15-2011, 11:46 AM
I have some crumbled Maytag blue cheeze in the freezer that I need to use up. Maybe some BC hambagerers.:cool:

musicmanryann
02-15-2011, 11:53 AM
We'll be there again this year. Had a BLAST last year--it was a regular Brethren Bash!

trueque
02-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Registration sent in, this is our first year here and looking forward to it.

pat
02-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Hoping to finally make the trip this year after scratching it off the list the last two!!

U2CANQUE
02-15-2011, 12:57 PM
I am scheduled to fly in and make sure that someones cookers keep going while they are celebrating.....:becky:, but, this year no Them Ohio City Boys or 2 Worthless Nuts......a lot less pressure that way

Diva
02-15-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm so in for this. I marked a brisket in the freezer for carne guisada yesterday, with Pleasant Hill in mind.

Sure, sure, sure....I keep HEARIN' about it, never have eaten it....:shocked:

smknwhlswife
02-15-2011, 02:18 PM
SOW will be there!

Jorge
02-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Sure, sure, sure....I keep HEARIN' about it, never have eaten it....:shocked:

Ouch! Just for B-Rent and Val I'll send some special delivery:-P

HarleyEarl
02-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Funny Farm BBQ will be there again this year.

Exe-que-tioner
02-15-2011, 10:07 PM
The margarita machine can defiantly be arranged!!! This is one our favorite contest of the year and we are just volunteers! Look forward to seeing everyone.
The MooCow margarita machine is sitting on a shelf in my garage. We will bring it to P-Hill. Looking forward to a good time as always!

Rookie'48
02-16-2011, 12:07 AM
And will you be importing any Templeton? Inquiring minds want to know!

There just might be a sip or two to be shared :becky:.

Jorge
02-16-2011, 09:41 AM

You are my favorite Master CBJ for a reason!:becky:

bbqbull
02-16-2011, 09:44 AM

That was some fine stuff you got me hooked on Dave!:thumb:

musicmanryann
02-16-2011, 10:49 AM
I got some bootlegged Templeton I will be bringing down as well, nowadays it is easier to get this stuff the legal stuff. lol!

Arlin_MacRae
02-16-2011, 12:23 PM
I may have to go up there just for the Templeton. I'm down to one bottle... :(

Bigdog
02-16-2011, 03:03 PM
I may have to go up there just for the Templeton. I'm down to one bottle... :(

Sounds like PANIC mod. :thumb:

Jeff_in_KC
02-16-2011, 10:34 PM
I have a bottle and a half in the freezer in the garage. Haven't touched the stuff since the 2009 Great American BBQ when I drank nearly a 750 ml bottle of it (about 3/4 bottle) from an hour before first turn-in to the end of turn-in's! :shock: The resulting display was less than stellar. :redface:

Just Pulin' Pork
02-16-2011, 10:43 PM
I have a bottle and a half in the freezer in the garage. Haven't touched the stuff since the 2009 Great American BBQ when I drank nearly a 750 ml bottle of it (about 3/4 bottle) from an hour before first turn-in to the end of turn-in's! :shock: The resulting display was less than stellar. :redface:

That's why you had an incedible year in 2010. NOTE TO SELF!!!!!!!! Thanks Jeff! :-D

E & D's BBQ
02-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Pleasant Hill is going to be a great place to start off the season! It's our first competition out of state, we can't wait! (Iowa just isn't challenging enough :icon_smile_tongue:)

Jeff_in_KC
02-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Pleasant Hill is going to be a great place to start off the season! It's our first competition out of state, we can't wait! (Iowa just isn't challenging enough :icon_smile_tongue:)

If you guys get blown away in a storm while here, it's our turn to help YOU! :laugh: Can't ever thank you guys enough for what you did for Tammy and me last July at Mason City!

stan
02-17-2011, 11:09 PM

Shane you and Vern are much more than volunteers! You two make the contest run smooth! You two are part of the contest! It wouldn't be the same without you.

stan
02-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Just an fyi this year we are planning on having a hot air balloon that will be giving tethered rides going up about 50 to 75 feet depending on the weather. Money raised will go to our charity this year the Pleasant Hill United Way. We have a Facebook page for the contest as well. Search facebook for Smokin On Big Creek fan page and "Like" us. We will be raffling off some items as well this year!

Bunny
02-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Jeff,
We have the entry form filled out and will hand it to you at the Winterfest!

Rich and Bunny
KCass BBQ:-D

E & D's BBQ
02-18-2011, 05:55 PM
If you guys get blown away in a storm while here, it's our turn to help YOU! :laugh: Can't ever thank you guys enough for what you did for Tammy and me last July at Mason City!

Anytime Jeff, most people would have packed up and left after what you guys went through that night. You guys lost so much of your stuff in that storm and still managed to come out with 8th overall. Unreal!!

jbrink01
02-18-2011, 07:39 PM
were in ,our first year,jeff told me its the best
Cr@p. You want me to just send you my entry fee......:-P

HarleyEarl
02-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Shane you and Vern are much more than volunteers! You two make the contest run smooth! You two are part of the contest! It wouldn't be the same without you.

Face it Stan, you all do a great job running this contest. Hey, here's a thought, since there are a ton of cooking classes out there - how about you & Jeff offer a contest organizer class - let the others learn form the best. It would make our jobs as cooks a lot easier.

stan
02-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Face it Stan, you all do a great job running this contest. Hey, here's a thought, since there are a ton of cooking classes out there - how about you & Jeff offer a contest organizer class - let the others learn form the best. It would make our jobs as cooks a lot easier.
Thanks Harley! We strive to have the best contest that give the teams great service that they want and more! At the sametime balance getting the public out and raising money! Jeff was actually on the organizers round table at the KCBS banquet this year. I would be happy to other organizers to help them out!

Captain Caveman
02-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Our entry is being mailed today!

Jeff_in_KC
02-20-2011, 01:11 AM
After Kookers Kare, we now have I believe 31 entries for this year's edition. That's about half full and just a heads up, last year after Kookers Kare, the contest filled up in about two weeks or so. If you're planning to cook, get 'em in! And PLEASE... sign up to do at least one of the People's Choice contests, better yet both! It's only $15 each category and ALL the money goes back to people's choice prize pool. The reason we push this so hard is that it's what draws the public out to the contest and they buy tickets to sample it. All that money goes to charity! You can bring pulled pork you might already have in your freezer or just pre-cooked from earlier in the week and re-heat. You don't have to serve it or mess with the public on it at all - just turn it in for BLIND public voting (locals have no advantage!) and wait for the results! If you enter pork, Jeff Spurgeon (KC Can Crew, KC Customs) gives you a butt. If you enter pork, he provides about 4 pounds of wings per team so you even get something for your $15! We encourage bringing extra wings to cook though if you want more votes!

Bunny
02-20-2011, 10:25 AM

You better stay away from that stuff, Jeff. Rich and my head still hurts.. And we didn't even drink any!! ROTFLMAO!!:becky:

But we love ya, man!

Rich and Bunny
KCass BBQ

Bunny
02-20-2011, 10:26 AM
After Kookers Kare, we now have I believe 31 entries for this year's edition. That's about half full and just a heads up, last year after Kookers Kare, the contest filled up in about two weeks or so. If you're planning to cook, get 'em in! And PLEASE... sign up to do at least one of the People's Choice contests, better yet both! It's only $15 each category and ALL the money goes back to people's choice prize pool. The reason we push this so hard is that it's what draws the public out to the contest and they buy tickets to sample it. All that money goes to charity! You can bring pulled pork you might already have in your freezer or just pre-cooked from earlier in the week and re-heat. You don't have to serve it or mess with the public on it at all - just turn it in for BLIND public voting (locals have no advantage!) and wait for the results! If you enter pork, Jeff Spurgeon (KC Can Crew, KC Customs) gives you a butt. If you enter pork, he provides about 4 pounds of wings per team so you even get something for your $15! We encourage bringing extra wings to cook though if you want more votes!

OK. Sign us up for that too, Jeff. I'll mail ya $30

Smokin' Joe
02-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Put our entry in the mail today, see you all there:becky:

stan
02-23-2011, 10:41 PM
As of yesterday we are up to 34 teams. They are trickling in each day. With a little over 30 days to go we are planning for a full contest!

stan
02-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Up to 35 teams.

Jeff_in_KC
02-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Wow! Good day in the mail! Got seven more entries... up to 42 teams. Can take 24 more!

Arlin_MacRae
03-02-2011, 12:21 PM
We're there, cookin' with Smoke on Wheels. Gotta defend the wooden pig!

Jeff_in_KC
03-02-2011, 11:49 PM
I don't have a team by that name signed up, Arlin! :-P

Arlin_MacRae
03-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Hmmm. <picks up phone>

:P

smknwhlswife
03-03-2011, 09:19 AM
We will be sending in our entry this week. Just a little behind..... as usual.:redface:

Arlin_MacRae
03-03-2011, 09:36 AM
See Jeff, you got Kim all flustered. Tsk. :)

stan
03-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Four weeks from tomorrow we will be back at it for the 4th Annual Smokin On Big Creek! We are up to 49 paid teams and several more that say they are coming but haven't seen the money! Get your entries in everyone!

Jeff_in_KC
03-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Actually, Stan, I re-counted and there's 50. So 16 spaces left. And one of those is going to Rod Andson's fundraiser so if you won't be there in Iowa to bid on it on March 19, there's only 15 spaces left! And if you're signing up, PLEASE add the people's choice to your entry!!! It's for charity and we're behind from what we had last year with bigger crowds expected!!! Last year, we had about 18 pork and 20 wings entries. This year, we're about 12 pork and 13 wings!!! We make it really simple for you... no handing it out yourselves, blind judging (so locals don't have the advantage) and you can cook your pork (and wings for that matter) ahead of time and bring to re-heat. Thanks to Jeff Spurgeon (KC Can Crew) who sponsors people's choice, each team entering wings will get about 4 pounds of chicken wings to cook and each team entering pork will get a pork butt to cook! ALL of the $15 per category goes back to the people's choice prize pool! So if you've already signed up but didn't do the people's choice and now would like to participate, please let me know ASAP - you can pay when you get here! Thanks so much!

Plowboy
03-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Jeff, my entry is going into the mail tomorrow.

jbrink01
03-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Jeff,
Put me down for peoples choice pork. Tell Spurgeon to give me a couple butts when I get there. I'll pay when we get in. Is Thursday evening OK, about 9:00?

Bunny
03-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Actually, Stan, I re-counted and there's 50. So 16 spaces left. And one of those is going to Rod Andson's fundraiser so if you won't be there in Iowa to bid on it on March 19, there's only 15 spaces left! And if you're signing up, PLEASE add the people's choice to your entry!!! It's for charity and we're behind from what we had last year with bigger crowds expected!!! Last year, we had about 18 pork and 20 wings entries. This year, we're about 12 pork and 13 wings!!! We make it really simple for you... no handing it out yourselves, blind judging (so locals don't have the advantage) and you can cook your pork (and wings for that matter) ahead of time and bring to re-heat. Thanks to Jeff Spurgeon (KC Can Crew) who sponsors people's choice, each team entering wings will get about 4 pounds of chicken wings to cook and each team entering pork will get a pork butt to cook! ALL of the $15 per category goes back to the people's choice prize pool! So if you've already signed up but didn't do the people's choice and now would like to participate, please let me know ASAP - you can pay when you get here! Thanks so much!

We're definately in so put us down for the charity wings and butt.

KCass

Jeff_in_KC
03-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Jeff,
Put me down for peoples choice pork. Tell Spurgeon to give me a couple butts when I get there. I'll pay when we get in. Is Thursday evening OK, about 9:00?

Thanks! Well, if you give me a call on my cell, Stan or I one will come back down and show you where your space is. We do an annual dinner at El Mazatlan Mexican Restaurant here in town on Thursday evening and anyone here by then is welcome to join us! We don't have the funds to pay but it's always a good time. Maybe you can arrive by 6:30 or 7 and join us?

Jeff_in_KC
03-04-2011, 12:26 AM
We're definately in so put us down for the charity wings and butt.

KCass

Thanks Bunny!

stan
03-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Jeff,

What Jeff said..... How heavy is your trailer? I actually do the layout for the teams so I can make sure to have a place for you to get in. If you could make earlier for the dinner it is a blast. I will PM my cell number so you have both of our numbers.

jbrink01
03-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks! Well, if you give me a call on my cell, Stan or I one will come back down and show you where your space is. We do an annual dinner at El Mazatlan Mexican Restaurant here in town on Thursday evening and anyone here by then is welcome to join us! We don't have the funds to pay but it's always a good time. Maybe you can arrive by 6:30 or 7 and join us?

I'd LOVE to join you, but there is no way I'll make it in by 7:00. My trailer is 21'L (with the ramp door up) and 16' W with the awning open. It's tandem and weighs about 7500 when loaded. See you there!!

HarleyEarl
03-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Jeff, go ahead an put me down for the People's Choice butt contest. I'll get you the money at the contest.

HoDeDo
03-07-2011, 09:25 AM
I don't have a team by that name signed up, Arlin! :-P

Yea, yea... Nudge noted, I told Kim to actually put it in the mail. :becky:

And I asked Kim to ADD Peoples Choice to the entry form and add a check for that too... So count us in for the PC also...

Bunny
03-07-2011, 12:07 PM
I'd LOVE to join you, but there is no way I'll make it in by 7:00. My trailer is 21'L (with the ramp door up) and 16' W with the awning open. It's tandem and weighs about 7500 when loaded. See you there!!

We'll miss you Jeff. Stith can buy me a shot of Patron for you! :becky:

E & D's BBQ
03-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Hey Jeff- put us down for the wings and pork too.

stan
03-13-2011, 12:26 PM
We still need more teams to do the wings and pork peoples choice. This is one of our main fund raisers for our charity of choice which is United Way this year. If you have not signed up it is not too late! Let us know!

Jeff_in_KC
03-13-2011, 11:11 PM
After recovery from the NKC contest, I wandered down to the computer with the stack of mail from yesterday and Friday to update the site and we are now FULL... we had to expand to 72 teams because I miscounted last week. But no more for 2011! We can always use more People's Choice entries as Stan mentioned above.

Any additional entries received will be added to a waiting list in case on cancellations.

Bunny
03-14-2011, 11:25 AM
After recovery from the NKC contest, I wandered down to the computer with the stack of mail from yesterday and Friday to update the site and we are now FULL... we had to expand to 72 teams because I miscounted last week. But no more for 2011! We can always use more People's Choice entries as Stan mentioned above.

Any additional entries received will be added to a waiting list in case on cancellations.

Mark us down, Jeff, for the wings and pork butts for Friday.

Rich and Bunny/KCass

Jeff_in_KC
03-14-2011, 01:48 PM
OK so far, add-on people's choice entries to collect on at the comp are KCass (wings and pork), B&B (wings and pork), Funny Farm (pork) and E & D's BBQ wings and pork). Anyone else?

HarleyEarl
03-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Okay, now that the contest is full, let's do a roll call.

Who of you Brethren are going to be at Big Creek?

Funny Farm BBQ will be there.

Jeff_in_KC
03-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Okay, now that the contest is full, let's do a roll call.

Who of you Brethren are going to be at Big Creek?

Funny Farm BBQ will be there.

Want me to just post a list, Marc? LOL!:-P

Rookie'48
03-17-2011, 12:55 AM
I'll be there judging --- at least this organizer knows how to keep in touch & answer e-mails :-D.

HarleyEarl
03-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Want me to just post a list, Marc? LOL!:-P

I could just get off my lazy arse and cross check the team list you have on your site (thank you BTW:thumb:), but I though I would give folks a bit of diversion from another contest thread and get jazzed about Smokin' On Big Creek.

Can't wait to get out to P-Hill again this year.

mobow
03-17-2011, 09:49 AM
I'll be there judging --- at least this organizer knows how to keep in touch & answer e-mails :-D.
Susie and I will be judging also. Look forward to seeing you Dave keiht

monty3777
03-17-2011, 12:07 PM
I hope to be there. The drive is a bit too long, so I can only come if I'm able to get out after turn-ins. I'm really looking forward to picking myself up and trying again. Can't wait! BTW, to whatever team is going to be parked next to me - PLEASE buy a quiet generator. I don't think I can take another comp without sleep. :laugh:

bover
03-17-2011, 02:22 PM
I know you're full up on CBJs but I just dropped an email to you in case something opens up. I'll definitely be there on Friday to check out the festivities regardless.

Todd Ras
03-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Donkey Punch BBQ will be there! Hoping for good weather :-D

moocow
03-17-2011, 05:07 PM
I am getting excited to see everyone, only a few more weeks!

Diva
03-17-2011, 05:59 PM
I am getting excited to see everyone, only a few more weeks!

Woot Woot!!! Don't forget the MUH-CHEEEEN! :wave:

VGuilford
03-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Its all ready to go sittin in his garage.

Arlin_MacRae
03-17-2011, 06:44 PM
VERN! Se ya there, brother!

Jorge
03-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Its all ready to go sittin in his garage.

I'm going to wear my cup, just in case I have a t-shirt you want!:-P:becky:

stan
03-17-2011, 10:39 PM
I hope to be there. The drive is a bit too long, so I can only come if I'm able to get out after turn-ins. I'm really looking forward to picking myself up and trying again. Can't wait! BTW, to whatever team is going to be parked next to me - PLEASE buy a quiet generator. I don't think I can take another comp without sleep. :laugh:

Monty - Jeff told me someone had to leave after the last turn in. I am think I know where I am going to put you. This must be your first time to our little contest. Not much need for generators as we have electricity for most people. What kind of rig you got?

The Pickled Pig
03-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Stan,

I'd like to request the dry spot without wind.

jbrink01
03-17-2011, 11:15 PM
B&B will be there! Dry and level would be awesome!!

Bunny
03-17-2011, 11:45 PM

Don't worry. Jeff has electricity. We'll see you out there, Funny Farm!

Rich and Bunny/KCass BBQ

VGuilford
03-18-2011, 12:21 AM
VERN! Se ya there, brother!
Cant wait to see you guys

HarleyEarl
03-18-2011, 12:38 AM
Don't worry. Jeff has electricity. We'll see you out there, Funny Farm!

Rich and Bunny/KCass BBQ

Hope we have a chance to get together - seems like it's been ages.

Fat Woody
03-18-2011, 07:37 AM
We'd like to be in this area again:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=38.783555,-94.280111&spn=0.001336,0.00235&t=h&z=19&msid=211110389202715523447.00049ebf43e80334eb996

We have a small utility trailer and 10x20 smoking lounge. Looking forward to it!

Jeff_in_KC
03-18-2011, 09:48 AM
We'd like to be in this area again:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=38.783555,-94.280111&spn=0.001336,0.00235&t=h&z=19&msid=211110389202715523447.00049ebf43e80334eb996

We have a small utility trailer and 10x20 smoking lounge. Looking forward to it!

Oh we can put you down there in that if you want! :laugh: We'll save the non-swamp sites for others! :thumb: hehehe!

HoDeDo
03-18-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm going to wear my cup, just in case I have a t-shirt you want!:-P:becky:

Now that right there is funny. You arent going to throw money and knives on the ground again are. We don't need 'fair' this round LOL

VERN! Se ya there, brother! We can't wait!!!

Fat Woody
03-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Oh we can put you down there in that if you want! :laugh: We'll save the non-swamp sites for others! :thumb: hehehe!

We'd prefer to stay UP the hill, thanks! That's about where we were last year (I think!), nice corner lot, close to electricity, trees for a windbreak - I remember a little water, but after the rain we had, wasn't really all that bad. I shall leave it in your capable hands and trust you to keep us swamp free - thanks!!

monty3777
03-18-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm in the process of considering a small business sharpening knives. Nothing too elaborate - mostly mail in stuff. I wonder if maybe 10 folks coming to the comp would be willing to have me sharpen your knives (free) and give me some feedback privately about the service and what you think the service would be worth to you and others? I'll limit myself to 10 knives (one knife per team) total so that I don't get in over my head. I'll be there around 1 pm and will probably sharpen after I get set up. Say between 3 and 4?

A note on how I sharpen. I do everything freehand with Japanese waterstones and a leather strop. It takes a bit longer but allows me to put a precise edge on the knife.

I would ask that you not bring me any repair jobs, or serrated knives for the free sharpening. I'd be glad to look at your knives and repair them, or sharpen serrated knives, but it could take longer than the time I have allowed and I don't want anyone walking away disappointed. So I can deal with chips, etc, but we can negotiate that after I get done with the free knives.

PM me if you are interested. I can sharpen both western and Japanese knives.

VGuilford
03-18-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm in the process of considering a small business sharpening knives. Nothing too elaborate - mostly mail in stuff. I wonder if maybe 10 folks coming to the comp would be willing to have me sharpen your knives (free) and give me some feedback privately about the service and what you think the service would be worth to you and others? I'll limit myself to 10 knives (one knife per team) total so that I don't get in over my head. I'll be there around 1 pm and will probably sharpen after I get set up. Say between 3 and 4?

A note on how I sharpen. I do everything freehand with Japanese waterstones and a leather strop. It takes a bit longer but allows me to put a precise edge on the knife.

I would ask that you not bring me any repair jobs, or serrated knives for the free sharpening. I'd be glad to look at your knives and repair them, or sharpen serrated knives, but it could take longer than the time I have allowed and I don't want anyone walking away disappointed. So I can deal with chips, etc, but we can negotiate that after I get done with the free knives.

We'll bring our knives

Arlin_MacRae
03-18-2011, 06:36 PM
That's a hell of an idea, Monte.

HarleyEarl
03-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks Monty, count me in. At NKC, I discovered my slicing knife was in need of some lovin' - your timing is perfect.

stan
03-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Stan,

I'd like to request the dry spot without wind.

A place like that might be a long walk to turn in. Lol. What are you going to have with you?

jbrink01
03-18-2011, 11:30 PM

I'll bring my knives!!

4 smokin butts
03-19-2011, 12:40 AM
ready too rock in roll

Plowboy
03-19-2011, 01:01 AM
Just one more time for good measure...

"I want my old spot back."

Plowboy
03-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Thanks to Jeff and Stan for donating a free Kids Q entry for my kids class at the KC Culinary Center tomorrow. We are doing burgers on EZ Grills. The kids will be ready for Smokin on Big Creek IV.

dbaldin
03-19-2011, 03:45 AM
I'll be there with the WiredBBQ setup, be it live or taped, we're gonna have some fun!:flame:

stan
03-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Just one more time for good measure...

"I want my old spot back."
I have you in the same place. You going to drop off on Thursday?

stan
03-19-2011, 08:39 AM
If you are planning to bring your trailers out Thursday post here or email me or Jeff. I will be available Thursday to let you know where you will be. If this is your first time at our contest please ensure we know what kind of set up you have. Thx

jbrink01
03-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Stan,
I think you've got me covered. In Thursday about 9. 20' toyhauler and F150.

HarleyEarl
03-19-2011, 09:26 AM
If you are planning to bring your trailers out Thursday post here or email me or Jeff. I will be available Thursday to let you know where you will be. If this is your first time at our contest please ensure we know what kind of set up you have. Thx

Stan, I could drop the trailer off Thursday afternoon/night if it will help with load-in/set-up Friday, otherwise, I plan on being there early Friday. Just let me know what would help you guys and make your life's easier trying to get all the teams in.

monty3777
03-19-2011, 10:43 AM
If this is your first time at our contest please ensure we know what kind of set up you have. Thx

I'll be coming with my Yukon and a Horizon trailer. I have a already PMd Jeff about this, but I will need to leave right after turn-ins so that I can be back in eastern Iowa in enough time to be ready for Sunday morning. If you guys think that's not possible, please let me know. I can donate my entry for Rod's family as I know you have a waiting list. Thanks to you and Jeff for all your work!

stan
03-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Stan,
I think you've got me covered. In Thursday about 9. 20' toyhauler and F150.

Got you covered! See you late thursday!

Smokin' Joe
03-19-2011, 11:06 AM
We'll be arriving Friday between noon and 1pm. 30' Motorhome and 14' trailer

Captain Caveman
03-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Caveman Cuisine will be rolling in about 2pm (God willing). Same trailer as last year (the gooseneck, not the log cabin).

monty3777
03-19-2011, 12:37 PM
For those of you bringing knives - who haven't met me - here's what I look like so you don't have to wonder where I am. I probably won't be wearing the armor, but I'll still be pretty hard to miss.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk281/monty3777/pitt.jpg

Sticks-n-chicks
03-19-2011, 03:11 PM
We can drop off on Thursday night, are we (Sticks-n-Chicks in the same spot? Anyone staying out there Thursday night?

stan
03-19-2011, 04:14 PM
There are a few people that will be staying out there thursday nite.

Plowboy
03-19-2011, 06:33 PM
I have you in the same place. You going to drop off on Thursday?

I'll be there Thursday.

Andy said he wanted to be in the grass in the far SW corner of the field. As close to the river as you can get him. Just so you know. :thumb:

Plowboy
03-19-2011, 06:33 PM
I'll be coming with my Yukon and a Horizon trailer. I have a already PMd Jeff about this, but I will need to leave right after turn-ins so that I can be back in eastern Iowa in enough time to be ready for Sunday morning. If you guys think that's not possible, please let me know. I can donate my entry for Rod's family as I know you have a waiting list. Thanks to you and Jeff for all your work!

Are you bringing pig cookies? Save one for me.

moocow
03-19-2011, 07:11 PM
We are planing to stay out there Thursday night.

jbrink01
03-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Us too.

The Pickled Pig
03-19-2011, 07:42 PM
A place like that might be a long walk to turn in. Lol. What are you going to have with you?

12x12, 17ft. flatbed trailer, 3 trash cans, and a Tundra

Sticks-n-chicks
03-19-2011, 08:07 PM
What time are people going out to dinner on Thursday night.

monty3777
03-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Are you bringing pig cookies? Save one for me.

done!

stan
03-20-2011, 09:35 AM
We will be going to dinner Thursday nite around 630. If you will be here by then let us know how many to expect. We like to give the restaurant a heads up. El Mazatlan is the name of the restaurant and it is on Hwy 7 towards the north end of town.

Arlin_MacRae
03-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Ooh, that reminds me, we need to go back to that Italian restaurant!

moocow
03-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Ooh, that reminds me, we need to go back to that Italian restaurant!
I,m up for that!

Diva
03-20-2011, 07:39 PM
I,m up for that!

Which Italian place?

VGuilford
03-20-2011, 08:32 PM
the place we went to last yr after the contest in greenwood I cant remember the name ( stan or jeff)it was pretty good.

4 smokin butts
03-20-2011, 08:39 PM
were in for thurs night smokin butts-1 big Os-2 be bin thurs am

smknwhlswife
03-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Andy will be there Thursday to park the camper. Don't know what time yet.

And we are definitely in for the Italian place again. Those calamari steaks were Awesome!!!

VGuilford
03-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Shane and I are going down Thurs with the camper and probably stayin there. so we might have an after party goin after dinner.

Sticks-n-chicks
03-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Shane and I are going down Thurs with the camper and probably stayin there. so we might have an after party goin after dinner.

Will Moo Cow Security be in effect?:shocked:

moocow
03-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Will Moo Cow Security be in effect?:shocked:
You can count on it!

Bunny
03-21-2011, 10:44 AM
We will be going to dinner Thursday nite around 630. If you will be here by then let us know how many to expect. We like to give the restaurant a heads up. El Mazatlan is the name of the restaurant and it is on Hwy 7 towards the north end of town.

Count 4 of us for Matzatlan

stan
03-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Perazelli's in Greenwood. www.perazellis.com is the restaurant

Arlin_MacRae
03-21-2011, 01:40 PM
That's the one!

trueque
03-21-2011, 04:59 PM
+2. I am arriving thursday afternoon as well. Looking forward to meeting new people and seeing those I have not seen since last season.

Sticks-n-chicks
03-21-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm in for Dinner on Thursday night.

stan
03-21-2011, 08:40 PM
boy I see the biggest Thursday nite so far for us! Keep it coming!

Jeff_in_KC
03-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Had a cancellation today - the eight teams on the waiting list all moved up one spot. Welcome 4 Men and a Pig to the party!

Plowboy
03-22-2011, 02:09 AM
Had a cancellation today - the eight teams on the waiting list all moved up one spot. Welcome 4 Men and a Pig to the party!

Ain't a party with out Mark.

Jorge
03-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Ain't a party with out Mark.

My liver just cringed.

HoDeDo
03-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Paint can!!!!

matthew burt
03-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Thought I was going to have to cancel, but Ford sais my new transmission will be in by Friday!!!

jbrink01
03-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Who is gonna help Mark and I float the EZ Up like a giant Chinese Lantern?

4 smokin butts
03-22-2011, 11:42 PM
looking foward to a first class contest how it is run......1st time here ,jeff has told us alot ,looking foward to it. were also inviting everone over for a ''911'' shot of gentelman jack at 9:11......TRADITION.........dennis

Just Pulin' Pork
03-22-2011, 11:58 PM
looking foward to a first class contest how it is run......1st time here ,jeff has told us alot ,looking foward to it. were also inviting everone over for a ''911'' shot of gentelman jack at 9:11......TRADITION.........dennis

Dennis you will not be disappointed. This is the way every contest should be run. I volunteered at this contest 1 time and will be cooking it for my 3rd time! I cook with Sticks-N-Chicks BBQ, come by for a beer, looking forward to meeting you guys.

4 smokin butts
03-23-2011, 12:09 AM
we be there thurs night ,looking foward to meeting you guys....this seames to be the most positive talked about contest we have been in in the last year

HarleyEarl
03-23-2011, 12:13 AM
we be there thurs night ,looking foward to meeting you guys....this seames to be the most positive talked about contest we have been in in the last year

You won't be disappointed. Jeff, Stan and their clan put on a great contest.

Solidkick
03-23-2011, 02:19 PM

It is a great contest and ran very well...unfortunately, T and I are going to miss cooking it this year. The costs involved in the Springfield contest coming up two weeks later just wouldn't allow us to do both. And we felt we should go back and try to defend our title.
Believe me, I'd rather be in Pleasant Hill.

Bunny
03-23-2011, 08:04 PM

Will be great seeing Mark!

Rookie'48
03-24-2011, 01:03 AM
Believe me, I'd rather be in Pleasant Hill.

Sounds like Sweet T is feeling much gooder :thumb:. Sorry that we'll miss you two, I'll have a taste of Templeton for ya!

Smokin' Joe
03-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Is water available to fill the RV tanks at our site or do I need to fill up before I roll in?

stan
03-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Joe - we have 2 areas that you can fill up at when you arrive. What kind of rig? Want to make sure you can get in. Will check may have another place and will pm you.

stan
03-26-2011, 12:12 AM
We will have a separate water fill area for those of you who want to fill your tanks when you arrive. We do not have a dump station though! When you get to check in just ask me where the water fill is so I can direct you.

jbrink01
03-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Hey Stan,
Not sure what the layout is, but if it's gonna be muddy, I'd sure like to cook on my toyhauler ramp door / deck. It makes my set-up about 30' long total. If not, no problem. Thanks!!

stan
03-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Jeff you will have 30 feet so you should be good. As long as the rain and snow blow through tomorrow and we do not get too much before next friday we should be in good shape. But either way you should be good space wise!

Jeff_in_KC
03-26-2011, 03:29 AM
Snow on Saturday one week out! Woot! Not.

Jeff_in_KC
03-26-2011, 05:38 PM
What time are people going out to dinner on Thursday night.

Will, we'll leave the contest area about 6:30 PM to head up there.

Bunny
03-26-2011, 09:34 PM
For those of you bringing knives - who haven't met me - here's what I look like so you don't have to wonder where I am. I probably won't be wearing the armor, but I'll still be pretty hard to miss.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk281/monty3777/pitt.jpg

We'll have our knives there, too. Please stop by.

QansasjayhawQ
03-26-2011, 11:16 PM
I used to have knives but my wife had to take them away from me.

monty3777
03-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Just want to say a quick word of thanks to Jeff and Stan. Communication has been great. I know you must be very busy but the time you take to stay in contact and respond to my questions has been really helpful.

monty3777
03-28-2011, 11:11 AM
We'll have our knives there, too. Please stop by.

I'll do my best. Since I don't know some of you (yet!) please be patient if I don't make it over to your camp. I'm kind of leery about doing cold calls on teams hawking services - and I wouldn't want to mistakingly approach a team who hasn't asked for sharpening. If I don't find you maybe we can hook up at the cook's meeting :thumb:

stan
03-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Things are coming along for the contest. All the judges and teams should have gotten their packets emailed from Jeff last night. We worked on the field to get the 78 team spaces marked (and then sum). If the weather will cooperate this week we should be in good shape. The snow this weekend was actually better than rain as it will partially evaporate while sitting there. It will be a whirlwind week! I hope the everyone has safe travels in and we will see you at checkin!

nwelch
03-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Stan, are you guys going to send a site map/spot assignments in advance?

stan
03-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Stan, are you guys going to send a site map/spot assignments in advance?

No! I will be placing each team as they arrive. The reason is until Thursday arrivals and weather until then I want the flexibility because of wet sites.

I have a pretty good idea.

Fat Woody
03-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Friday night cigar herf at Camp Fullwood around 7:00 or 8:00? What say you Brether-persons? BYOB, preferably a single malt! I'll bring some extra stogies for the cause!

Arlin_MacRae
03-29-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm up for that, Woody!

ModelMaker
03-29-2011, 12:54 PM
It appears I have made a dreadfull mistake in not joining this juggernaut of an event.
A situation I shall rectify next year.
Have fun all.
Ed

Jorge
03-29-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm just sayin....51343

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbrink01
03-29-2011, 03:49 PM
All of this talk of Mexican food and margaritas has us reconsidering our travel plans......

Jorge
03-29-2011, 03:52 PM
All of this talk of Mexican food and margaritas has us reconsidering our travel plans......

Stay home, I'll eat your share!:-P

HarleyEarl
03-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Jeff or Stan - How many people do you have signed up for dinner Thursday night? Last I heard it was over 60! Should be quite a get together.

stan
03-29-2011, 05:26 PM
I am sure the mexican food place wood love that. Last count was more like 35. But more is good also!

4 smokin butts
03-29-2011, 05:38 PM
4 smokin butts and big Os, 4 people for mexican

Big Sticky
03-29-2011, 06:09 PM
I'll have to say it sounds like a great contest sorry I won't be there.

Jeff_in_KC
03-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Stan, have you talked to Jose yet to let him know what's gonna hit him Thursday night? I pulled in there last night when I got back to town but his truck wasn't there so I didn't go in.

stan
03-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Told Jose approx 35 people Thursday nite around 630. Talked to him last Saturday.

Bunny
03-29-2011, 11:32 PM

You better reconsider. We have one good time!!!! Be there, Jeff.

Bunny
03-29-2011, 11:39 PM
Told Jose approx 35 people Thursday nite around 630. Talked to him last Saturday.

Stan,

Add one more to our party of four. Ribs for her Pleasure will be 3 and that makes 5 including me and Rich.

Thanks, Jeff and Stan for all you have done. I know what a magnificent job you've done as we've traveled by the site twice seeing you out there mapping out the area. I also know what goes into it...no, wait. :hand:
I don't. But anyhoo,...thanks so MUCH!!!!!!!

Rich and Bunny
SEE YA THURSDAY!!!!

Bunny
03-29-2011, 11:41 PM
4 smokin butts and big Os, 4 people for mexican

What time did you say you are hosting the shot? Was that 9-11 am? If so, we'll be there.

jbrink01
03-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Bunny - Tricia just gave me the all clear to leave at noon. That should put us there between 4 and 4:30, if we get out on time!!

smknwhlswife
03-30-2011, 12:03 AM
I will see everyone on Friday after the kiddos get out of school.

Andy will be out there Thursday.

4 smokin butts
03-30-2011, 12:22 AM
hey bunny 911 saturday morn,we got 3 bottles gtljk,whatever it takes,911 shot then GAME ON again eviting everyone over looks like a great time dennis

Jorge
03-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Address for my GPS?

HarleyEarl
03-30-2011, 02:07 PM
From Jeff's welcome packet:

PHYSICAL ADDRESS:
If you’re wanting to
MapQuest the location or
use a GPS, the following is
the address of the Community
Building at the fairgrounds:

308 W Commercial St.
Pleasant Hill, MO 64080

This will actually sometimes
show a little east of
the fairgrounds but it will
get you within eyesight.

Jorge
03-30-2011, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=HarleyEarl;1594942]From Jeff's welcome packet:

PHYSICAL ADDRESS:
If you

Arlin_MacRae
03-30-2011, 03:43 PM
I remember there were good signs posted last year. We Okies had no trouble finding it. ;)

Jorge
03-30-2011, 04:00 PM
I remember there were good signs posted last year. We Okies had no trouble finding it. ;)

Stick figures and cartoon characters?

HarleyEarl
03-30-2011, 08:17 PM
From Google Earth:
The entrance is at: 384781N 941667W elev 261 m
http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a418/Marc_Matthews/Misc/BigCreekMap.jpg
The entrance is right below the Pl in Pleasant Hill in the map above.

Hope this helps.

Arlin_MacRae
03-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Stick figures and cartoon characters?

THOSE were for the Texas gate. :laugh:

Bunny
03-31-2011, 01:14 AM
hey bunny 911 saturday morn,we got 3 bottles gtljk,whatever it takes,911 shot then GAME ON again eviting everyone over looks like a great time dennis

Count on us! We'll be there along with our son and his team, Rib's for Her Pleasure. He's a newbie and will probably need some best wishes.:pray:

Plowboy
03-31-2011, 11:46 AM
My trailers are already dropped. First one in! :-D

Arlin_MacRae
03-31-2011, 12:17 PM
My trailers are already dropped. First one in! :-D

How do the grassy areas look, Todd? Farker. ;)

monty3777
03-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Count on us! We'll be there along with our son and his team, Rib's for Her Pleasure. He's a newbie and will probably need some best wishes.:pray:

Tell him not to worry. I'll take DAL for him :laugh:

Arlin_MacRae
04-01-2011, 09:29 AM
We're packing and should be out of here in a few. See you this afternoon!

Rookie'48
04-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Great weather for a comp! 64*, blue skies, light wind.

Rookie'48
04-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Quick results:

GC - Pork Pulling Plowboys
RGC - Tippicanoe BBQ

Full results here:
http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2011&month=4&id=2722

Congrats to all, especially to Plowboy for his 1st in Chicken, Ribs & Pork!!!

matthew burt
04-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Congrats on your 1st place finish in chicken,ribs,and pork! I was really hoping for a 1st place finish in brisket too! You rock Todd!

Plowboy
04-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Thanks, guys. Apparently, people don't think I can jump cause they were all surprised at my 42" vertical when we got that chicken call.

Bob S
04-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Congrats Todd! Amazing job.

KC_Bobby
04-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Nice job Todd, quite a day

Good job Tippy on RGC, Donkey Punch on brisket and others who heard their team called.

swamprb
04-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Way to go Todd!

Meat Burner
04-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Awsome job Todd. That's pretty incredible!

monty3777
04-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Congrats Joe and Todd!!. 3 category firsts - I can't even imagine how good that must feel!

Plowboy
04-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Just so you all keep it in perspective... when it came to the brisket category, we ALL got Donkey Punched!!!!! :becky:

Todd Ras - I need a 3xl DP BBQ shirt, buddy. I was so jazzed for you guys. But leave that chit at home in September. I got a target on you boys.

Big Poppa
04-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Todd please dont jump...we were assembling boxes in Pala at the comp and it got knowed of the shelf and brad thought it was an earthquake...

Really really happy for you great job....Andy nice showing too

Jeff_in_KC
04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Todd please dont jump...we were assembling boxes in Pala at the comp and it got knowed of the shelf and brad thought it was an earthquake...

Oh no he didn't!!!! :laugh:

Dale P
04-03-2011, 04:46 PM
That is remarkable. Congrats Todd.

Plowboy
04-03-2011, 08:51 PM

Oh, I've already heard the "I thought I felt the earth shake." comments. :hand:

BBQ_Mayor
04-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Congrats Todd on your GC and 3 fist place finishes! That is awesome. Drove by Pleasant Hill Friday night on are way down to the in-laws. I wanted to swing in and say hay to everybody but as it was, I was already running late. see you around sometime. Ray

Todd Ras
04-03-2011, 09:54 PM
We had a great time and this was a fantastic contest with plenty of room and someone to help whenever you needed it. Todd, we have a DP shirt with your name on it and next time we see you remind me to give it to you :-D. Your going to have to slow down for BS if we're going to have a chance. I'm just glad you decided to let someone else have the Brisket trophy!

It was nice meeting the Shake N' Bake and B&B teams. Overall this was a good kickoff for the DP guys and we had a blast. Next up for us is Lee's Summit.

Arlin_MacRae
04-03-2011, 10:40 PM
What a GREAT comp!! Kudos really need to go to Jeff Stith and his horde of volunteers - many of them Brethren - for making this an awesome deal.

Todd? I'm hoping someone got his 42" vertical jumps for the chicken win on camera. You talk about stoked! His oldest son really added to the moment when he walked up to Todd and said, in a very serious voice, "Finally," and walked off. We were DYIN'!!!! Watching Plowboys win and win and win was really something. Us Smoke on Wheels folks were a bit disappointed in our calls (only a little bit) but it really didn't matter when we could watch the Plowboys team dominate like that. Wow. Just wow. And yeah, we all got donkey punched on brisket! :)

Great time! We'll be there next year come hell or high water!!

Arlin

Rookie'48
04-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Another great contest from Jeff, Tammy, Stan, Amy and a cast of thousands. Not really thousands, but any time you needed anything at all one of the many volunteers would be right there to help you. It's the fourth year for this comp & it keeps getting better and better each year! I've been lucky enough to judge this all four years and I hope to do it for a very long time in the future. You guys (& gals) ROCK!!!

jbrink01
04-03-2011, 11:08 PM
We had a great time and this was a fantastic contest with plenty of room and someone to help whenever you needed it. Todd, we have a DP shirt with your name on it and next time we see you remind me to give it to you :-D. Your going to have to slow down for BS if we're going to have a chance. I'm just glad you decided to let someone else have the Brisket trophy!

It was nice meeting the Shake N' Bake and B&B teams. Overall this was a good kickoff for the DP guys and we had a blast. Next up for us is Lee's Summit.

Todd - Great to meet you as well. And I though brisket was my strong suit......GREAT JOB!!

SloppyQ
04-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Good seeing old friends and meeting some new friends. I will have to say Jeff and Stan put on one heck of a contest, I'm proud to say I was involved. Had a great time let's do it again next year.

The Pickled Pig
04-04-2011, 01:21 AM
Great contest and what a performance by Plowboys. Congrats on the GC Todd!

Many thanks to Jeff and Stan and all of the volunteers who make this contest such a must-do event.

pat
04-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Congrats to both Todd and Joe! Amazing job Todd.

Alexa RnQ
04-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Congratulations Todd! What an amazing day!

luckyduk
04-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Congrats to Plowboys and Tippy!!
Great contest....definitely one not to miss for sure!! Organizers worked extra hard to make sure the cooks were happy!!! The wife really liked the rides for turn-ins!!!

Fat Woody
04-04-2011, 11:25 AM
To Jeff, Stan, Shane, Vern, Jorge, Lee and all the others who made this comp so easy for the cooks, SUPER GRACIAS! Thanks also for not putting us in the swamp Jeff!

To Todd & the Plowboys crew: I genuflect in your direction! Not only did they take three firsts, but did it scoring: 176, 176, 177.7 and a 696.5 overall; that's more than impressive! :clap2:

We had a great time Friday night: awesome potluck hosted by the Slabs, a close encounter with Shane's margarita machine and cigars and a scotch tasting with some Brethren at our camp afterward.

Thanks again to everyone who helped to make this a great weekend!

pat
04-04-2011, 12:11 PM
The wife really liked the rides for turn-ins!!!

Was that due to her condition or did they offer those for everyone? :becky:

Congrats on your 10th place finish Justin!

Jorge
04-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I went up to Pleasant Hill to see what I could learn from Jeff and Stan, since I'm working on a KCBS event in DFW for 2012.

What I learned is that they did a great job in recruiting their volunteers. MooCow is on taking care of the teams like white on rice, and Shane will tell you that he enjoys doing it as much or more than cooking a contest. Chris and Jana Early owned People's Choice, and did anything and everything else. It's the same story from Sloppy Lee. He cooked the sponsors dinner and then did whatever else needed to be done.

What I learned, is that I need to get Southwest Airlines as a sponsor to bring that whole crew (including Jeff, Stan, Tammy, and Amy) down to Texas and my job would be a lot easier.

I was more than impressed.

PORQY
04-04-2011, 12:39 PM
This was my first time judging this competition. I have to say that I *will* try to make it to the future ones. It was ran very well, was 100% CBJs, and had great turn-ins--I was impressed. Great job, everyone!

bignburlyman
04-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Just so you all keep it in perspective... when it came to the brisket category, we ALL got Donkey Punched!!!!! :becky:

Todd Ras - I need a 3xl DP BBQ shirt, buddy. I was so jazzed for you guys. But leave that chit at home in September. I got a target on you boys.

Great job Todd. And hopefully Donkey's will be Punched at the 2012 Chest to Chest contest!

SmokeInDaEye
04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
An interview with the big kahuna. http://www.grilling.com/home/article/2326/

EarlyBird
04-04-2011, 03:27 PM
My wife, Jana, and I had a blast volunteering at this contest. Jeff and Stan put together a GREAT crew. Most of the volunteers are cooks and we just took care of the cooking teams like we would like to be taken care of. We were always on the lookout to help. If you needed water, trash pickup or a ride to turn in there was always someone in a golf cart nearby to help. Friday night when the Farmers hot air baloon was lit up was pretty cool. If you have not cooked this contest, just ask a team that was there about it. Sign up early next year, it will fill up fast.

Chris

Plowboy
04-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Great job Todd. And hopefully Donkey's will be Punched at the 2012 Chest to Chest contest!

Oh my, if Donkey Punch could win a bull penis... that would be too much.:becky: :thumb:

Arlin_MacRae
04-04-2011, 03:39 PM
That thought is just...wrong!

musicmanryann
04-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Oh my, if Donkey Punch could win a bull penis... that would be too much.:becky: :thumb:

You owe me a new keyboard!:shock: :laugh:

HoDeDo
04-04-2011, 09:40 PM
I don't plan on getting donkey punched again lol hehe. I'm putting a helmet on next contest they are at!!! And have you seen the cups required for these Bull Penises (Penii??)

Captain Caveman
04-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Congrats Todd on the GC! Thanks to Jeff and Stan for a great contest.