PDA

View Full Version : New Member in WI, but from KY

Aebs
12-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Hey y'all,

First off, I want to thank Saiko for turning me on to this group. He and I work for the same company (we'll call it MonsterCorp to protect the innocent and not-so-innocent alike) and we met at a seminar and he was kind enough to let me know about this group. I've been lurking for a couple of months, and the knowledge I've picked up already scares me. Thank you.

I'm originally from Kentucky, but now live in suburban Milwaukee. It's a slightly different culture. Here folks think that the verbs "to grill" and "to barbecue" are synonyms. People talk about barbecuing brats. I guess in theory you could, but that's not what these folks are doing. My wife is a recent convert to the differences, and she is starting to understand why we have 4 cooking appliances in the backyard (NB Silver Smoker, Brinkmann water smoker, one Weber kettle and her Kingsford kettle), and she is threatening to buy me a Bandera as a Christmas present. God Bless that Little Yankee Girl of mine. I used to bury a pig for the Kentucky Derby every year, but since I've moved into her house and her name is on the deed, that ain't happening again anytime soon.

Thanks for the info and for a great site. Y'all take care.

Aebs

Solidkick
12-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Great to have you as a new brother!

Hope you enjoy the site!

jt
12-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Welcome! Glad you've quit lurking and joined the fray.

parrothead
12-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Welcome, we are almost neighbors.

Bill-Chicago
12-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Welcome, oh Brother of the Usinger Order.

I get up your way couple times a year, for Brats, and for a weekend at the Downtown Hilton. Had inlaws in Red Deer or something like that, little NW of the city (I think)

Glad you found us.

Who is Seiko?

spicewine
12-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the group

Bellybro
12-07-2004, 11:13 AM
Jump right in with both feet!

Welcome home!

BrooklynQ
12-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Welcome to the group.

Aebs
12-07-2004, 11:35 AM

I get up your way couple times a year, for Brats, and for a weekend at the Downtown Hilton. Had inlaws in Red Deer or something like that, little NW of the city (I think)

Glad you found us.

Who is Seiko?

We are almost neighbors. If you mean Brown Deer for where your inlaws were, that's just down the road. Brats are a right tastey treat, so the Cheeseheads got that right. Now if they can learn that mops just aren't for cleanin'...

I meant Saiko, not Seiko. My bad.

brdbbq
12-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Welcome to the group glad you joined in.

Bill-Chicago
12-07-2004, 11:46 AM

Glad you found us.

Who is Seiko?

We are almost neighbors. If you mean Brown Deer for where your inlaws were, that's just down the road. Brats are a right tastey treat, so the Cheeseheads got that right. Now if they can learn that mops just aren't for cleanin'...

I meant Saiko, not Seiko. My bad.

It was brown deer.

And Seiko likes to be called that.

Something about taking a licking.

chad
12-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Welcome! I want you as my Trading Post partner. I need an Evo engine real bad!!

racer_81
12-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Welcome. Glad to see another Kentucky native on the board.

Where in Kentucky are you from?

brdbbq
12-07-2004, 11:58 AM

The hills I suspect

kcquer
12-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Welcome Brother! Don't worry, we won't hold your association with Saiko against you :lol: !!

Trout_man22
12-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Welcome, Aebs, and becareful around the "one's from Chicago"

cookswithfire
12-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Welcome Aebs to the best bbq site on the web

The_Kapn
12-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Aebs,
she is threatening to buy me a Bandera as a Christmas present.
OK, If you don't make her follow through, ya are crazy. Do what it takes :lol:
Let me know, I could use a 2nd Dera :lol: :lol:

Welcome into our world!

TIM

Heimelswine
12-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Aebs, welcome. These guys are fantastic. Since you been reading the boards, you know they are truly brothers. Glad to have you with us.

Neil
12-08-2004, 03:57 AM
Welcome aboard Aebs, enjoy what you learn and share what you know. I'm just across the lake from you to the southeast.

MikeG
12-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Welcome Aebs,
Jump in and enjoy.
(Be fore warned of an existing tiff between two
brothers over Tennessee/Kentucky Whiskey.)
They will be at it again soon.
Again Welcome!!
Mikeg

Aebs
12-08-2004, 09:06 AM
The best thing that can be said about Tennessee Whiskey is at least it ain't foriegn. I applaud anyone who drinks American -- NAFTA and GATT be danged. Put me squarely in the Kentucky whiskey camp.

Aebs
12-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Aebs,
she is threatening to buy me a Bandera as a Christmas present.
OK, If you don't make her follow through, ya are crazy. Do what it takes :lol:

TIM

I just hope that I'm man enough.

Aebs
12-08-2004, 09:10 AM

Born at Fort Knox, grew up in northern Kentucky, the first line of defense against Cincinnati's southern expansion. Does the name Racer imply that you are from around Murray?

Aebs
12-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Welcome! I want you as my Trading Post partner. I need an Evo engine real bad!!

Sure, an engine for a bottle of sauce or 2 sounds like a fair trade. Sign me up!

Bigdog
12-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Welcome to the madness Aebs. Bill's comment about who's Saiko was more about where the hell has that fark been hiding? Any friend of Saiko, is a friend of mine. And tell Saiko to start posting again when he can. He has insightfull posts. We miss him.

brdbbq
12-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Aebs,

What side do you limp on ?

Aebs
12-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Aebs,

Depends on which side of my mouth my wad of gum is on.

brdbbq
12-08-2004, 10:33 AM
Aebs,

Depends on which side of my mouth my wad of gum is on.

Trying to figure if you walked East or West on the hill. Using a wad for balance that's original.

Aebs
12-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Trying to figure if you walked East or West on the hill. Using a wad for balance that's original.[/quote]

It's awful flat in this part of Wisconsin where I live now. Don't get much hill practice no more. My dad used to wear baseball spikes when he cut the grass back home the pitch was so steep.

racer_81
12-08-2004, 11:48 AM

Born at Fort Knox, grew up in northern Kentucky, the first line of defense against Cincinnati's southern expansion. Does the name Racer imply that you are from around Murray?

Racer implies where the BS degree is from - hometown is Owensboro.

I hope you weren't influenced in your childhood with Skyline????

Bill-Chicago
12-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the madness Aebs. Bill's comment about who's Saiko was more about where the hell has that fark been hiding? Any friend of Saiko, is a friend of mine. And tell Saiko to start posting again when he can. He has insightfull posts. We miss him.

How true.

Saiko is a lurker.

Wonder if he needs nuts?

Aebs
12-08-2004, 12:55 PM

I ate more Dixie than Skyline. Chili in Milwaukee is Cincinnati-like with beans and served over spaghetti. I don't know much about the Brethren yet, but I know better than to start discussing chili, particularly the subject of beans.

I consider Fort Thomas to be my hometown. You boys from Owensboro know TONS about barbecue.

Saiko
12-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Welcome fellow MonsterCorp employee! This is employee number 21203072!
Good to see you finally introduced yourself :D
I was just up in Madison last week, next time I'll remember to call and we can hit a brew pub in Milwaukee, since I always fly there instead of connecting through Chicago (shudder).

BTW, that's not my real employee number, so don't try to order anything from the MonsterCorp website with it :wink:

Saiko
12-08-2004, 06:37 PM
How true.
Saiko is a lurker.
Wonder if he needs nuts?

You need to do a search on my posts ya goober. I've actually posted quite a bit in the last couple of months (23 posts in November and December so far). I mainly only keep up with Que Talk, since I don't have the 2 hours a day I would need to keep up with the Wood Pile. Sheesh, you guys are like a sewing circle in there. :D

Bill-Chicago
12-08-2004, 08:14 PM

I ate more Dixie than Skyline. Chili in Milwaukee is Cincinnati-like with beans and served over spaghetti. I don't know much about the Brethren yet, but I know better than to start discussing chili, particularly the subject of beans.

I consider Fort Thomas to be my hometown. You boys from Owensboro know TONS about barbecue.

Aebs, you want Skyline? I get cans of it by the case.

Spent 3 years of weekends in Cincy.

Little Chicago

I love that place.

Hope to retire there someday.