PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. NKC MO BBQ State Championship NORTH KANSAS CITY, MO 03/11/2011

Smokin' Hicks
02-13-2011, 12:22 AM
I got the bug BADDDDD.....weather should be interesting.....anyone know if this comp. offers electricity and is it on pavement or grass (mud I mean)

HarleyEarl
02-13-2011, 04:15 AM
I got the bug BADDDDD.....weather should be interesting.....anyone know if this comp. offers electricity and is it on pavement or grass (mud I mean)

There's no electricity - you'll have to bring a generator. They have sites on grass and on pavement.

4 smokin butts
02-13-2011, 10:10 AM
i see on there web site turn in starts 1 hour later, there showing pork before ribs ?

worthsmokin
02-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Worth Smokin will be there competing and vending. Come check out our new Extreme BBQ Trailer.

Tyler

Neal
02-13-2011, 08:36 PM
i see on there web site turn in starts 1 hour later, there showing pork before ribs ?

The pork before ribs is probably a typo, but turn-ins are an hour later than a normal contest. They have big parade and, in the old days, some teams had to cross the street that the parade route runs on. It wasn't unusual to see people running boxes across the street between fire trucks and parade floats. They have since moved the contestants to a different location but for some reason the 1pm starting turn-in time for chicken has stayed the same.

4 smokin butts
02-13-2011, 09:36 PM
sounds like a good time,heard expecting 100 teams......inviting breathern over for our 911 shot,here we go again

Jeff_in_KC
02-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Already looking forward to it! Freakin' hard to believe it's only four weeks away! Hell, we just finished cooking 2010 six weeks ago! :shock: Guess that means no rust to start 2011. :heh:

Balls Casten
02-15-2011, 07:17 AM
We're in.

In the past they have been pretty loose with assigned spots. So if you need next to someone with a gen. Let them know.

pat
02-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Hoping to send in my app this week. Looking forward to gettin started.

monty3777
02-15-2011, 11:22 AM
If Casten is going, I'm going. I still have the Casten Cup....wanna do chicken again?

pat
02-15-2011, 11:32 AM
I too have the Casten Cup. I see a trend here....

monty3777
02-15-2011, 11:36 AM
You want in, Pat? Anyone else? Winner gets a bottle of Crown!!

pat
02-15-2011, 11:51 AM
If I make the contest you can definitely count me in! Would love a bottle of Crown from Casten.

luckyduk
02-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Anyone know if there is room left? I have emailed Jay twice with no responses and the phone number is prerecorded :crazy:

4 smokin butts
02-15-2011, 12:50 PM
jays in jamacia, talked to him yesterday

matthew burt
02-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Sent my app. in today, we are looking forward to it!

luckyduk
02-15-2011, 12:58 PM

With good reason not to get a response :-P:-P thanx

I wouldn't want to deal with anything 'round here either

Balls Casten
02-15-2011, 01:30 PM
You want in, Pat? Anyone else? Winner gets a bottle of Crown!!

You guys think you can beat a 156? Thats my high score for the year ... well my only score for the year. But I must warn you; we were set up next to Big T's last week and saw exactly how they cooked their chicken.

Same bet Nate ... bottle of Crown to the winner. Everyone's welcome in.

pat
02-15-2011, 02:22 PM
So do I get a bottle from each of you if I win?

Balls Casten
02-15-2011, 02:27 PM
So do I get a bottle from each of you if I win?

Yes! just make sure you bring a bottle in the event the judges have it in for you and unfairly give you low scores. :)

monty3777
02-15-2011, 03:13 PM
How about everyone who wants in pays a percentage of the total cost, then when it's all said and done Doug can hand it over to me! :)

BBQ_Mayor
02-15-2011, 04:44 PM
If I end up judging this one. I'll take bribes.:becky:

KC_Bobby
02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Boondoggle is signed up. Now I hope I can get off work.

Smokin' Hicks
02-20-2011, 07:55 PM
This is our first competition on the KCBS circuit, only did one event last year with the St. Louis BBQ Society and had a blast so I am really looking forward to this comp., One more question (yeah, right) since this is my first comp. I sent my contest form and money order in about a week and a half ago, should i be looking for anything in the mail? When we get there how do they know it is us? or do I just pull up and tell them our team name and they assign us our spot? And do they do the meat inspection upon arrival or does someone come around to inspect our meat? ok so that was like 5 or 6 questions, thanks for the feedback and looking forward to meeting some of the brethren although I'm sure I will be a nervous wreck and have my head buried in double and triple checking everything and then checking it again

HarleyEarl
02-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Okay, I'll give this a shot:
1) I sent my contest form and money order in about a week and a half ago, should i be looking for anything in the mail? Not sure about snail mail ,but I believe I received something via e-mail last year.

2) When we get there how do they know it is us? or do I just pull up and tell them our team name and they assign us our spot? Pull up in front of Finnegan Hall, go in the North doors and you'll see a table - just tell them who you are and they will get you placed.

3) And do they do the meat inspection upon arrival or does someone come around to inspect our meat? Last year they came around, but it was right after I got the trailer parked - hadn't even unloaded much.

4) I'm sure I will be a nervous wreck and have my head buried in double and triple checking everything and then checking it again. Put together a time line and follow it. Do a couple practice cooks using the timeline and you'll do just fine. Also, be prepared for any type of weather.

See you there,

Rookie'48
02-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Anyone know if there is room left? I have emailed Jay twice with no responses and the phone number is prerecorded :crazy:

And that explains why I can't get ahold of him :rolleyes:. Same thing ..... I've e-mailed twice about judging NKC this year. I hope that I'm in :pray:.

luckyduk
02-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Jay got back to me 69 teams to date, cutting off at 102.
Put mine app in the mail today.
Anyone know of any good hotels around the area?

monty3777
02-24-2011, 02:07 PM

Holy farking carp! 109 teams???? Had no idea. :doh:

4 smokin butts
02-24-2011, 02:39 PM
LaQuinta 816-221-1200 holiday inn 816-925-0501 both less than 1 mile were told... dennis

Sticks-n-chicks
02-24-2011, 06:53 PM
App is sent in as well for us! Let's hope we get the spring time weather of KC and not the chit we are getting right now.

Jeff_in_KC
02-24-2011, 08:29 PM
No kidding! Heard the local authorities have shut down I-35 going south out of downtown KC due to deteriorating road conditions. Fun times...

CaptainLink
02-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Sent our app yesterday. First time for NKC. Looking forward to getting started again this year.

This Is How We Que It
02-26-2011, 09:49 AM
No kidding! Heard the local authorities have shut down I-35 going south out of downtown KC due to deteriorating road conditions. Fun times...

That is right! The authorities!!

Jeff_in_KC
02-27-2011, 04:51 PM
That is right! The authorities!!

You authorities are always shutting down the fun! LOL! Hey Bryan, I sent you a message on Facebook in case you didn't see it.

smokaholic
02-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Holy farking carp! 109 teams???? Had no idea. :doh:

There were 108 teams last year. It was packed but had a lot of fun even though it rained almost all night. Stopped raining alittle for turn ins but started up again before awards. Hopefully they will have a room big enough for all the teams. I stood outside in the hall since it was my first contest and didn't expect any calls. So when they called me for 9th in brisket I had no idea where to go lol. Big time newb moment lol but since there was a check you bet your a$$ I found that.
Its a good competition to kinda see if what you changed over the winter will work.

monty3777
02-28-2011, 10:03 AM
I stood outside in the hall since it was my first contest and didn't expect any calls. So when they called me for 9th in brisket I had no idea where to go lol. Big time newb moment lol but since there was a check you bet your a$$ I found that.
Its a good competition to kinda see if what you changed over the winter will work.

Great story! :clap2:

musicmanryann
02-28-2011, 09:50 PM
We received confirmation in the mail today that we are in. This is going to be a blast! :-D

Rookie'48
02-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I still haven't heard one way or the other from Jay whether I'm judging this one or not. After sending him three seperate e-mails I don't know what else to do. Oh well, I'll be there anyway to socialize Friday and maybe just hang with a team or two for the whole contest. Will & Doug, you guys better watch out :-P.

musicmanryann
02-28-2011, 11:14 PM
I'm sure you're in, but you're always welcome at my site Dave!

bodcat
03-01-2011, 12:31 AM
I still haven't heard one way or the other from Jay whether I'm judging this one or not. After sending him three seperate e-mails I don't know what else to do. Oh well, I'll be there anyway to socialize Friday and maybe just hang with a team or two for the whole contest. Will & Doug, you guys better watch out :-P.

I am in the same boat, I can't get a response about judging. I finally left a voicemail today too. Been trying for weeks now, possibly could have brought 4-5 certified judges if I could have done some planning. As a competitor it really makes me wonder about some of these comps that don't care about getting certified judges. There was an instance at another comp a couple years ago where I was asked to work the receiving table so some non-certified locals could judge.

Balls Casten
03-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Dave did you get my PM to you?

Rookie'48
03-01-2011, 07:15 PM
I guess that I'm NOT JUDGING this contest. I sent e-mails on the 2nd, 8th and 27th of February and haven't gotten anything back, not a yes, no, maybe so - or a "kiss my arse we don't want you". In each of the e-mails I included my mailing address and cell phone number --- no response :mad2:.
To say the very least I think that this is a pi$$ poor way to run a contest. Most folks that I know need more that a week's notice that they are in --- every other contest that I've judged has their judge's list finished about a month in advance (except for cancellations, of course).
I plan to spend most of the contest with Sticks-n-Chicks and Smokers Purgatory but I'll be out visiting, also.

mobow
03-01-2011, 08:39 PM
I guess that I'm NOT JUDGING this contest. I sent e-mails on the 2nd, 8th and 27th of February and haven't gotten anything back, not a yes, no, maybe so - or a "kiss my arse we don't want you". In each of the e-mails I included my mailing address and cell phone number --- no response :mad2:.
To say the very least I think that this is a pi$$ poor way to run a contest. Most folks that I know need more that a week's notice that they are in --- every other contest that I've judged has their judge's list finished about a month in advance (except for cancellations, of course).
I plan to spend most of the contest with Sticks-n-Chicks and Smokers Purgatory but I'll be out visiting, also.
Susie and I will not be there either. This contest does not get very good reviews from judges. At Hallsville two judges at my table said they would never go back to NKC. Hope we run ino each other in the near future. keith

luckyduk
03-01-2011, 09:13 PM

That is unfortunate.....
My entry is there.....hasn't been cashed yet...but when/if it does stop by and have a beverage!!! Would love to meet you!!

Butcher BBQ
03-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Just spoke with the organizer and they have 96 entries and will stop at 102.

4 smokin butts
03-02-2011, 09:12 AM
97 entries this morning corned beef contest sounds interesting.......

pat
03-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Would anyone have some extra disposable cutting boards they would be willing to sell me Friday? :becky: Don't think I have enough time to order them online.

musicmanryann
03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Would anyone have some extra disposable cutting boards they would be willing to sell me Friday? :becky: Don't think I have enough time to order them online.

Yep.:thumb:

pat
03-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks Ryan! I'll look ya up Friday.

smokaholic
03-07-2011, 06:17 PM

I will be out there with the bbqfans.com guys come by and we will see what we can do. We do plan on bringing a few cases out there.

Sticks-n-chicks
03-07-2011, 06:48 PM
We have some as well

a_bit_crusty
03-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Susie and I will not be there either. This contest does not get very good reviews from judges. At Hallsville two judges at my table said they would never go back to NKC. Hope we run ino each other in the near future. keith
This is the 2nd year I have applied before January to judge NKC and neither year was accepted. Not making the cut is not a problem, but the lack of respect shown was the pisser. After several emails sent in late Feb I finally received an answer yesterday (Mar 6), If you havent heard by now you are not judging .I would rate NKC BBQs communication as some what less then the worst, worse then trying to getting an answer for a refund on a defective product.
I should not have overlooked the communication problems I experienced last year or the words of several judges this past year. The reputation has spread though out the MO-KS BBQ community and as with chickens this will in time come to roost

bodcat
03-08-2011, 12:02 AM
I am assuming they have 100% certified judges if they are turning CBJs down? If not, as a competitor(not this weekend), it doesn't sit very well with me.

mobow
03-08-2011, 07:52 AM
I am assuming they have 100% certified judges if they are turning CBJs down? If not, as a competitor(not this weekend), it doesn't sit very well with me.
80% last year.

4 smokin butts
03-08-2011, 10:25 AM
prize money posted on kcbs site was wrong, now corrected 10000.00

Butcher BBQ
03-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Does anyone have the physical address to type into a GPS for this contest?

Balls Casten
03-08-2011, 04:19 PM
N39 8.3598', W94 34.5580'

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&q=north+kansas+city+bowling&fb=1&gl=us&hq=bowling&hnear=North+Kansas+City,+MO&hl=en&view=map&cid=17391290086208068738&ll=39.139547,-94.574411&spn=0.010718,0.024719&z=16

505 East 18th Avenue, North Kansas City, Ks
(Erin St and E 18th St)

Finnigans is in the AMF Bowling Ally.

Sticks-n-chicks
03-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Does anyone have the physical address to type into a GPS for this contest?

Finnigan's Hall
505 E 18th Avenue
Kansas, MO 64116

Jeff_in_KC
03-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Last year, Friday afternoon was cold and rainy so I stayed in the bowling alley, drank beer and bowled with Jeff Spurgeon. It was warm, dry and bottomless beer. Might do the same this year, although the weather won't be as bad. :becky:

Balls Casten
03-09-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm seeing 65 friday and 54 sat!
Considering we have snow on the ground this morning ... I'll take it!

pat
03-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Shorts weather!

Smokin' Joe
03-09-2011, 09:56 AM
anyone have a spare quiet generator they want to rent to me? I am having issues with the generator on my new rig. The mechanic is coming tonight with a new carb, if that doesn't fix it I may be in the market.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

musicmanryann
03-09-2011, 10:14 AM
anyone have a spare quiet generator they want to rent to me? I am having issues with the generator on my new rig. The mechanic is coming tonight with a new carb, if that doesn't fix it I may be in the market.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Yes. :thumb:

smokaholic
03-09-2011, 04:46 PM
106 Total teams this year...NICE!!!

KC_Bobby
03-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Yes. :thumb:

Yes, you have an extra

or

Sweet - Joe ain't got no juice for his guru and lights!

:thumb::thumb:

worthsmokin
03-09-2011, 05:23 PM
I am apoligizing before hand about my loud generator. I tried to build a box but my generator got to hot. I would rent one from someone on here but it would have to be at least 6500kw to power my vending trailer.

Sorry,

Jeff_in_KC
03-09-2011, 05:50 PM
I am apoligizing before hand about my loud generator. I tried to build a box but my generator got to hot. I would rent one from someone on here but it would have to be at least 6500kw to power my vending trailer.

Sorry,

That's OK... just keep it out of sight... I think last year, a team with a loud generator had someone pee in the gas tank during the night. :becky:

Jeff_in_KC
03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Yes, you have an extra

or

:clap2::laugh::clap2::laugh::clap2::laugh:

worthsmokin
03-09-2011, 06:10 PM
That's OK... just keep it out of sight... I think last year, a team with a loud generator had someone pee in the gas tank during the night. :becky:
Thats good Jeff, I have converted it over to run on pee. I just couldn't figure out how to quite it down.:-D

goodbuddiesbbq
03-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Can anybody get me a list of teams and I'll rank them out.
mpv3@case.edu if you want to send it to me...or just post them.

Jeff_in_KC
03-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Might not be easy to get. The organizer hasn't returned a call or I'd ask him.

Just Pulin' Pork
03-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Might not be easy to get. The organizer hasn't returned a call or I'd ask him.

Hell it does not sound like the Judges know if there judging or not! :shock:

Rookie'48
03-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Hell it does not sound like the Judges know if there judging or not! :shock:

I'll be there but not judging and I know at least two other CBJs that aren't making the trip because of no communication.

bodcat
03-10-2011, 08:58 AM
I'll be there but not judging and I know at least two other CBJs that aren't making the trip because of no communication.

Myself +3 other CBJs not making the trip due to lack of communication.

goodbuddiesbbq
03-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Ouch. That sucks!

trueque
03-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Best of luck to all competition this weekend!

monty3777
03-10-2011, 10:00 AM
I have had no trouble getting phone calls returned. I have to leave after turn-ins so that I can get bcak to Iowa in enough time to unload, sleep, and get to church on Sunday. That has produced a couple of logistical issues that the organizer has been really helpful with. Sorry others have not had the same experience.

pat
03-10-2011, 10:16 AM
That has produced a couple of logistical issues that the organizer has been really helpful with. Sorry others have not had the same experience.

That's because he knows who you are :shocked:

monty3777
03-10-2011, 10:37 AM
That's because he knows who you are :shocked:

We have never met and I didn't tell him about the church bit until last night. Promise :pray: :becky:

Smokin' Joe
03-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Yes, you have an extra

or

Thats not nice:becky::bow: