Pages : 1 [2] 3

Scottie
02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
well... You know us pretty good... :icon_blush:

We believe, if you have someone down. Stomp them a little more... :wink:

You forgot to add "humble":-P:laugh:

Scottie
02-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Really? I have a few free flights from Southwest...

Too bad the Cubbies wouldn't still be there.

Been known to be very nice there

Jeff_in_KC
02-08-2011, 04:08 PM
KCBS wouldn't let Randy and I cook under Pork Pullin Plowboys when I cooked Midwest City and he cooked El Dorado. We argued that one was an invitational, but Mike Lake said no.

Same here. I couldn't let Stan cook as Big Creek BBQ at Excelsior Springs with my free entry from the banquet last year while we were at the Original Sam's Club Invitational. I don't agree but I don't make the rules.

Jeff_in_KC
02-08-2011, 04:14 PM
It's in the rules. I talked to Dawn about it on Friday and confirmed after the mass eMail went out later that day. "Teams must be a member of KCBS to participate. Please read all the rules and regulations by clicking here (http://e2ma.net/go/9061028800/3416567/102869284/3654/b64/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5rY2JzLnVzL3NhbXMtY2x1Yi1zZXJpZXMtcn VsZXMucGhw)"

You know, here's the problem... KCBS sent email blasts out to MEMBERS that said you had to be a member but this thing is discussed everywhere! And non-members are not going to get this email. Non-members were gonna find out about the series though! :rolleyes: So it would have been a wise idea to have prefaced even rule #1 on that site with the fact you had to be a member to register. This morning, I was with a non-member and we were both signing up at a Panera Bread hotspot. He could not get in because no member number and did not realize it. He did immediately join KCBS (used to be a member but let his membership lapse), call to pay and was given a number instantly. But it was too late for the Overland Park contest. Got in elsewhere. It just should have said that was required on the Web site or put it under members only section.

ique
02-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Same here. I couldn't let Stan cook as Big Creek BBQ at Excelsior Springs with my free entry from the banquet last year while we were at the Original Sam's Club Invitational. I don't agree but I don't make the rules.

I thought the only reason for that rule was ToY points. If one is an invite thats a non-issue.

Jeff_in_KC
02-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Awesome, guys.

I've got a target on you boys for Blue Springs this year. :boxing:

I still find it absolutely hilarious that a contest that lists Jackass BBQ as "Jack*** BBQ" on the roster, refuses to call Fat Bastard and Lippy B by anything but "Fat B and Lippy B" would stand there and have the city's MAYOR proudly call out "Donkey Punch BBQ" as the Blue Springs team of the year!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Had ZERO idea, did he? :heh:

Plowboy
02-08-2011, 04:20 PM
I thought the only reason for that rule was ToY points. If one is an invite thats a non-issue.

We were both told that the decision was based on the rule that you can't cook on the same day under the same team name.

Jorge
02-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Jorge's true roots are becoming suspect..

A. He's from the 3rd Ranger Battallion, a discussion better left offline.

B. Chuy's? Versus Matts El Rancho?

C. if they have not been there, a trip to the Salt Lick would seem to be in order.

D. Aggies beat TU this year,...Gig 'em!

A. Please feel free to return to River Street to vomit all over yourself, you Worst Bn. trash:becky:

B. My loyalty to El Matt's died with Matt, but I will visit for the Bob Armstrong Dip.

C. I make it a rule to not pay for BBQ, during the weekend of a contest.

D. My wife, tamu '94, reminds me of that regularly. Thanks, but you are redundant.

Looking forward to seeing brother!:becky::laugh:

Plowboy
02-08-2011, 04:28 PM
I still find it absolutely hilarious that a contest that lists Jackass BBQ as "Jack*** BBQ" on the roster, refuses to call Fat Bastard and Lippy B by anything but "Fat B and Lippy B" would stand there and have the city's MAYOR proudly call out "Donkey Punch BBQ" as the Blue Springs team of the year!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Had ZERO idea, did he? :heh:

We'll make sure that doesn't happen again this year, Jeff. I've been practicing all winter to take these guys out of hometown team this year. Nobody puts Plowboy in a corner.

Jeff_in_KC
02-08-2011, 04:30 PM

You would THINK, huh? But you know the board we deal with! LOL!

Jeff_in_KC
02-08-2011, 04:32 PM
We'll make sure that doesn't happen again this year, Jeff. I've been practicing all winter to take these guys out of hometown team this year. Nobody puts Plowboy in a corner.

I may be done with the Blue Springs comp. Not sure yet but it's lost it's excitement for me, even though it's one of the closest events to my house.

Jorge
02-08-2011, 04:40 PM

We know what music to play when you get a call now, Barbie:-P

Vince RnQ
02-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Who are you cooking with? Gilbert's warm, isn't it? :thumb:

Are you suggesting that Thom would try to bring in someone to cook with him instead of cooking for himself? That wouldn't be very sporting. It isn't as if he's ever done that in the past.

Oh, wait...

Plowboy
02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
We know what music to play when you get a call now, Barbie:-P

Bite me.

I may be done with the Blue Springs comp. Not sure yet but it's lost it's excitement for me, even though it's one of the closest events to my house.

Maybe because your SIL hasn't been as drunk the last couple of years.

Smoke'n Ice
02-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Jorge's true roots are becoming suspect..

A. He's from the 3rd Ranger Battallion, a discussion better left offline.

B. Chuy's? Versus Matts El Rancho?

C. if they have not been there, a trip to the Salt Lick would seem to be in order.

D. Aggies beat TU this year,...Gig 'em!
:thumb:

dmprantz
02-08-2011, 05:09 PM
You know, here's the problem...

Fact of the matter is, I don't disagree with you at all, but a few points:

I was not a (current) member until yesterday. I joined because of this.
I thought that this might be an issue, so I called the office on Friday specifically to ask about this, and I'm glad I did.
Dawn told me that they (the BOD) still hadn't made up their mind on Friday as to whether or not KCBS membership would be required, but that a mass eMail would be sent out when they did, AND that your team name would have to be associated with your membership to use that name.
The eMail went out to past members such as me, but it was caught by my SPAM filter, because honestly, that's mostly what KCBS sends me. I only read it because Dawn told me that it would contain the membership decision.
The eMail was severely flawed, because it said that you had to be a member, but the rules on the website were never updated, which is why I posted that when it was questioned. It wasn't until yesterday afternoon that I realized the membership requirement was there.

And I'll admit that I said to Dawn on the phone that the KCBS BOD had the right to require membership, but they shoulda made up their mind on that before they announced the series at all, not a day and a half before registration opens. She laughed, and didn't disagree.

Point is, while I still think that they have the right to make this requirement, I think the timing under which it was decided and the way in which it was communicated was nothing short of lousy. I'm not trying to pick at a wound Jeff, but I hope you take it up with them and not me. I know of at least two board members who read this forum. Perhaps one of them could be persuaded to discuss the issue?

On another note, I have been on record of saying that no one should join KCBS just to compete. I'm changing my opinion on that, and starting to think that every team should have at least one current member (preferrably the head cook) to be in a KCBS comp. The reason why I think that is a good idea is to bring "parity to the league" so that there is hopefully an even number of cooks and judges voting come BOD election time.

dmp

Jeff_in_KC
02-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Fact of the matter is, I don't disagree with you at all, but a few points:

I was not a (current) member until yesterday. I joined because of this.
I thought that this might be an issue, so I called the office on Friday specifically to ask about this, and I'm glad I did.
Dawn told me that they (the BOD) still hadn't made up their mind on Friday as to whether or not KCBS membership would be required, but that a mass eMail would be sent out when they did, AND that your team name would have to be associated with your membership to use that name.
The eMail went out to past members such as me, but it was caught by my SPAM filter, because honestly, that's mostly what KCBS sends me. I only read it because Dawn told me that it would contain the membership decision.
The eMail was severely flawed, because it said that you had to be a member, but the rules on the website were never updated, which is why I posted that when it was questioned. It wasn't until yesterday afternoon that I realized the membership requirement was there.
And I'll admit that I said to Dawn on the phone that the KCBS BOD had the right to require membership, but they shoulda made up their mind on that before they announced the series at all, not a day and a half before registration opens. She laughed, and didn't disagree.

Point is, while I still think that they have the right to make this requirement, I think the timing under which it was decided and the way in which it was communicated was nothing short of lousy. I'm not trying to pick at a wound Jeff, but I hope you take it up with them and not me. I know of at least two board members who read this forum. Perhaps one of them could be persuaded to discuss the issue?

On another note, I have been on record of saying that no one should join KCBS just to compete. I'm changing my opinion on that, and starting to think that every team should have at least one current member (preferrably the head cook) to be in a KCBS comp. The reason why I think that is a good idea is to bring "parity to the league" so that there is hopefully an even number of cooks and judges voting come BOD election time.

dmp

I agree totally. My personal opinion is that if you cook a KCBS event anywhere, you should be required to be a member. I was not even aware my friend was not a member at the time. I'm glad he joined. And the point you make about voting is an extremely valid one. Thanks for bringing that up! :thumb:

Jorge
02-08-2011, 05:26 PM
I agree totally. My personal opinion is that if you cook a KCBS event anywhere, you should be required to be a member. I was not even aware my friend was not a member at the time. I'm glad he joined. And the point you make about voting is an extremely valid one. Thanks for bringing that up! :thumb:

El Jeffie 2012:-P

bbally
02-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Anyone else sign up for Loveland, CO?

Found it interesting that KCBS would require membership to sign up. Did not say that in the beginning. I saw your discussion on that... but it would seem to me that the idea was to make more teams (money, which IMO is what KCBS is really abou) paying members that will be short term, but the loss of the long term gain in membership by teams being able to compete that are not presently members seems a little short sighted to me.

Don't care either way as it was $35 to join... but I wonder how many needed to sign up as KCBS members today to play the Sam's Club game?

ThomEmery
02-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Are you suggesting that Thom would try to bring in someone to cook with him instead of cooking for himself? That wouldn't be very sporting. It isn't as if he's ever done that in the past.

Oh, wait...

Too funny
When he asked about flying out again
My first thought was "yea but then I have to listen to my dear friend Vince"
Didn't take you very long :)
We will ask for a spot near you ;)

Smokin' Bad Habit
02-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Smokin Bad Habit in for Overland Park ks...woot woot!

Scottie
02-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Just make sure you bring dish washing gloves for me Thom. I'll also show you how to slice up a pork collar real good.

Will I need sunblock?

Vince RnQ
02-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Too funny
When he asked about flying out again
My first thought was "yea but then I have to listen to my dear friend Vince"
Didn't take you very long :)
We will ask for a spot near you ;)

Oh, I understand now. Scottie asked to come out for the privilege of cooking with you, not the other way around.

Wow, it must be something to have that kind of talent beating on your door.

Good luck however it works out!

nwelch
02-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Ha, that is great! He is actually a councilman, but still, that is funny. I am guessing he had no idea, but we are trying to get everyone to associate Donkey Punch BBQ with great BBQ and not the urban dictionary definition.

Jeff, we are going to compete at your contest this year, just need to fill out the registration form and send it in.

Vince RnQ
02-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Looking forward to meeting you at Chesapeake, VA. Our 6 hour drive is nothing compared to yours. Drive safe.

Ron, I was just having some fun with my friend, G$. We're actually registered for the contest here in Arizona but maybe we'll all get lucky and meet up in Bentonville in October!

ThomEmery
02-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Oh, I understand now. Scottie asked to come out for the privilege of cooking with you, not the other way around.

Wow, it must be something to have that kind of talent beating on your door.

Good luck however it works out!

:) yea you bet ya :)

Well I tell ya there is no one I would rather spend time with than you big Guy
Always a kind word and a helpful response

Good Luck to you also ;)

sitnfat
02-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Looks like Birmingham is full

Muzzlebrake
02-08-2011, 08:28 PM
What are you doing Sean, you can't just come and take pics, you have to cook too.:doh:

In was hoping to find some culinary students that weren't doing anything. I'm really just coming in hopes of getting one of those bloody mary's with pickled okra again!

Jeff_in_KC
02-08-2011, 11:19 PM
In was hoping to find some culinary students that weren't doing anything. I'm really just coming in hopes of getting one of those bloody mary's with pickled okra again!

Culinary students... or nursing students? :becky:

HoDeDo
02-08-2011, 11:34 PM
I don't see where it says you have to be a KCBS member. If that were the case, I wonder how the Jack and Royal invitationals will view the contest if it were a State Championship. Is it really an OPEN contest if you have to be a member? Do you have to be a Sam's Club member as well?

I view it like the ABA contests, you have to be a member there too... and they are still KCBS...

In this case though, since Sam's in additon to being an organizer is also a KCBS ToY sponsor, it makes sense they would require you be a member. As organizers they can do whatever they want.

HoDeDo
02-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Culinary students... or nursing students? :becky:

His whiskey is old enough to drink at least.... :evil:

Vince RnQ
02-09-2011, 01:22 AM
:) yea you bet ya :)

Well I tell ya there is no one I would rather spend time with than you big Guy
Always a kind word and a helpful response

Good Luck to you also ;)

Cut it out...I'm gettin' all misty.

lcbateman3
02-09-2011, 07:04 AM
2011 Sam's Club BBQ Series & National Championship

Event Registration

Congratulations! You have successfully registered for the following event:

Chesapeake, VA - 9/16/11

Fat Woody
02-09-2011, 08:54 AM

That's how we make 'em here at Squirrel Haven!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=381&pictureid=3178

The Bloody Maria, BOC.

Ford
02-09-2011, 08:56 AM
So where again are the hot beds of BBQ?

3 are still taking wait list entries.

10 out of 20 are full.
Region 1 - 1 is full
Region 2 - 2 are full
Region 3 - 3 are full
Region 4 - wait list only
Region 5 - 0 are full - what's up with east coast BBQ cooks?

roksmith
02-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Might be the tight scheduling.. for us, if we fare well in Pburgh, it's a 10 hour drive the following weekend, then a 15 hour drive 2 weeks later.
Dunno if it's a consideration for others, but we're not used to more than a contest or so in our schedule per month. Seeing how we're not exactly located in the middle of a hot bed.

Scottie
02-09-2011, 09:21 AM
I feel a group hug coming on at Gilbert! I'll bring Oprah with me from Chi-Town...

Cut it out...I'm gettin' all misty.

ique
02-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Region 5 - 0 are full - what's up with east coast BBQ cooks?

The East Coast cooks want to cook the American Royal

No other region has that kind of conflict

Capn Kev
02-09-2011, 10:53 AM
The East Coast cooks want to cook the American Royal

No other region has that kind of conflict

The Loveland, CO comp would probably be full by now, but there are a number of us that had already committed to another competition in North Platte, NE on the weekend of 5/6. So if we were one of the top 7 drawn from the Loveland comp, we'd have to de-commit from the North Platte comp or drop-out of the Sam's regional competition. Plus, the 14-hour drive to Las Vegas less than a week later, and pulling 6,500 lbs. over numerous mountain passes isn't too appealing.

KC_Bobby
02-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Conroe TX has an uphill battle too - not a ton of KCBS cooks down that way and the GAB and Smoke On the Water have events that weekend. Austin, the week before, is only 150 miles away and Baton Rouge - 275 miles away is a week after.

Opportunity knocking.

Jorge
02-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Conroe TX has an uphill battle too - not a ton of KCBS cooks down that way and the GAB and Smoke On the Water have events that weekend. Austin, the week before, is only 150 miles away and Baton Rouge - 275 miles away is a week after.

Opportunity knocking.

Shhhhhhhhh!:laugh:

Big Ugly's BBQ
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Shhhhhhhhh!:laugh:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jorge
02-09-2011, 11:50 AM
So how big a deal was registration?

I was on the phone with Andy, backing him up in case there were technical issues. I was ready to go to register for another friend that was supposed to have had a meeting at registration time. Two laptops open and ready to go for each....

Our youngest dog will be 6 months old on the 20th, and she ate something that upset her stomach.....see where this is going? All over the carpet 10 feet from me while Andy is registering. The smell was brutal... it was too late to stop her...and she knew she'd done something wrong.....

Never said a word!LOL I just cleaned it up as soon as registration was confirmed and done. That's not a story my wife needs to hear from anyone right away, thanks!

Ron_L
02-09-2011, 11:56 AM
The KCBS web site was slammed, so it was slow, but I had no glitches. KCBS posted on Facebook that their whole website normally gets 11,000 hits/day and the Sam's Club page alone has 53,000 hits yesterday!

Rich Parker
02-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Registration was extremely easy for me. The site loaded a little slower than normal but that is to be expected. I think whoever is hosting it did an excellent job.

dmprantz
02-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Keep in mind that the payment portion of the process was handled by PayPal and their servers. That helped for various reasons.

dmp

HoDeDo
02-09-2011, 12:32 PM

I was on the phone with Andy, backing him up in case there were technical issues. I was ready to go to register for another friend that was supposed to have had a meeting at registration time. Two laptops open and ready to go for each....

Our youngest dog will be 6 months old on the 20th, and she ate something that upset her stomach.....see where this is going? All over the carpet 10 feet from me while Andy is registering. The smell was brutal... it was too late to stop her...and she knew she'd done something wrong.....

Never said a word!LOL I just cleaned it up as soon as registration was confirmed and done. That's not a story my wife needs to hear from anyone right away, thanks!

WOW! You sure didnt say a word. I didn't know you were suffering through that while trying to login.

No wonder my wife thinks you are ok:thumb:

U2CANQUE
02-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Attention to Orders:
It is now proclaimed that George Mullins, having went above and beyond the call of BBQ duties, in extreme hardship, showed professionalism that is exemplary and becoming of an award of some type. Let it be known by all that George Mullins has set the bar for BBQ Brotherhood. This signed me, peon, Semper Gumby, MFLC Extraordinaire, Rob "2 Worthless Nuts" Marion

Jorge
02-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Attention to Orders:
It is now proclaimed that George Mullins, having went above and beyond the call of BBQ duties, in extreme hardship, showed professionalism that is exemplary and becoming of an award of some type. Let it be known by all that George Mullins has set the bar for BBQ Brotherhood. This signed me, peon, Semper Gumby, MFLC Extraordinaire, Rob "2 Worthless Nuts" Marion

We can wet that down in a couple of weeks. The gifts from Mack are in the freezer.

chromesporty
02-09-2011, 01:10 PM
We're in at the Austin contest.

Jorge
02-09-2011, 01:14 PM
We're in at the Austin contest.

Looking forward to see you again Larry!

Divemaster
02-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Registration was extremely easy for me. The site loaded a little slower than normal but that is to be expected. I think whoever is hosting it did an excellent job.
Same for us. Ramona was covering for me if I didn't get out of my meeting in time. For me, the site was slow but we were still done by 10 after.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

dmprantz
02-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Teams for OP made public. Available at http://www.kcbs.us/sams-club-series.php?id=8.

B&C Smokers
Big Creek BBQ
Big Wigs BBQ
Boo Booz Bbq
Boondoggle BBQ
Caveman Cuisine
charisma
Donkey Punch BBQ
Dunn Up BBQ
early bird bbq
Four Men and A Pig
Fullwood Bros BBQ
KC Can Crew
KC SMOKE DAWGS
Masterque
MoKan Meatheads
Munchin Hogs @ the Hilton
Park Avenue Pork
Pork Me Purple
postal pork bbq
QSS SMOKIN'
RIbs 4 u
Saucy Hogs
SMOKE ME TENDER BBQ
Smokin' Bad Habit
Sticks-n-Chicks BBQ
TEAM OVERSERVED
TheSlabs.com
We Like Big Butts
Yard Time BBQ

dmp

musicmanryann
02-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Wow, that one should be fun to compete in. Good luck everyone!

Jorge
02-09-2011, 02:08 PM
That's stout!

Smoke'n Ice
02-09-2011, 02:33 PM
I think that Larry and I are the only ones registered for Austin. That makes us a sh:heh: in for Ft. Worth:-P

U2CANQUE
02-09-2011, 02:56 PM
I think that Larry and I are the only ones registered for Austin. That makes us a sh:heh: in for Ft. Worth:-P

Eh, nah, me too.....Full Moon BBQ also is in for Austin.....have heard about a couple others, but, cannot disclose without them being "out of the cooking closet"

RangerJ
02-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Eh, nah, me too.....Full Moon BBQ also is in for Austin.....have heard about a couple others, but, cannot disclose without them being "out of the cooking closet"

A few traditionally Texas teams are in Austin as well. Or so I'm hearing.

It will all be public knowledge soon.

dmprantz
02-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Woodbury, MN teams posted at http://www.kcbs.us/sams-club-series.php?id=20.

bavarian bbq boys
Big Bubba's Roadhouse BBQ
Bringin The Heat
DanD BBQ
Double D
Fire Fightin Cookin Crew
Freeman Brothers BBQ
Full Frontal BBQ
Half Baked BBQ Crew
Myassis Smolkin
Parrothead Smokers
Phat Jacks BBQ
Pork County Barbeque
Pork Pullin Plowboys
Prairie Oak Smokers
Que'navores
Quetopia
Raccoon Flats
Scotty D's built for BBQ
Shiggin & Grinnin
Smokin' Moose BBQ Team
SmokinPelletheads
Spitfire
The Smoking Hills
TheBBQshow.com
TippyCanoe BBQ Crew
TRUEBUD BBQ
Twolittlepigsbbq.com
Wee Willy's BBQ
Z's Smokin Bones

Dustin D
02-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Team postal pork bbq

lol Nice name!

lcbateman3
02-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Maybe I'm the only one in Va..... :) I know Tuffy is going to Ga, so that takes him out of his hometown. I am sure a few around here will be in it.

Ron_L
02-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Woodbury, MN teams posted at http://www.kcbs.us/sams-club-series.php?id=20.

Hmmm... A bunch of lightweights in that one :becky: :rolleyes:

ique
02-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Looks like they have the team list up for all the contests

Tiki Wolf
02-09-2011, 03:47 PM
It looks like they have all the teams posted.

Scottie
02-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Also looks like some teams signed up twice but changing their team name by adding a number after it.... Wish I knew that would be considered kosher... I could of used my sisters KCBS number. Maybe I am going to go to AZ now and wash some dishes... :boxing:

huminie
02-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Also looks like some teams signed up twice but changing their team name by adding a number after it.... Wish I knew that would be considered kosher... I could of used my sisters KCBS number. Maybe I am going to go to AZ now and wash some dishes... :boxing:

I saw an example of that on one of the lists, but it disappeared before my very eyes. :shocked:

Rich Parker
02-09-2011, 04:35 PM
You would think the team name should have to be registered under the KCBS member. I searched KCBS but that team is only listed once.

That is pretty lame...

Anchors Smokeshop
02-09-2011, 04:36 PM
KCBS has just added a list of teams that have currently signed up for each local event. http://www.kcbs.us/sams-club-series.php

Alexa RnQ
02-09-2011, 04:39 PM
I saw an example of that on one of the lists, but it disappeared before my very eyes. :shocked:
Yup. Because, you know, if you scramble to make it look nicer then playing by the rules doesn't matter.

Capn Kev
02-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Wow...there's a lot of clean up on these lists that needs to take place. I am seeing duplicates. :shocked:

Scottie
02-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Yup. Because, you know, if you scramble to make it look nicer then playing by the rules doesn't matter.

I'll bite my tongue..

huminie
02-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Ya, I see what happened now. Very interesting.

G$
02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Is there a reason not to explain to everyone else what has happened?

huminie
02-09-2011, 05:29 PM
I believe the registrations for this event are based on your KCBS member number. The team listings you see pull the team name from the profile of the user with the registered KCBS #. So, in my case I saw one team name, and then a few mins later it changed. I figure this is because the user with that KCBS # logged into their account and changed their team name. [Edit: Not sure you can do this yourself...it probably takes a call to the KCBS office to make this change.]

In this particular case, there is a team with 2 KCBS members. One registered for one contest, the other registered for another. Same team, 2 members, 2 contests. Technically there are now 2 team names, 2 members, 2 contests, because the name was changed. This is probably technically legal.

I guess since my wife is a KCBS member I should have signed up for a second contest under her name using a different team name and the 2 of us could have doubled our chances.

Funtimebbq
02-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Hi All,

There is no mystery or secret regarding the team names. I originally signed up for Sac. CA using my team name, Funtime BBQ. I also happen to be the assistant cook on Slap Yo Daddy BBQ.

Harry Soo will not be in Sac. I repeat, Harry will not be in Sac. In fact, if anyone would take the time to check, he is holding a class on that day and that is the reason he is in AZ the week before.

Harry has honored me by asking me to change the name to Slap Yo Daddy II. Nothing more, nothing less. However, there are a number of people with "no agenda" who have problems with this. So the name was changed back to Funtime BBQ.

But as long as the topic was brought up, check the teams in NM and CO. One team is listed in NM and again as a #1 in CO. There are also two teams in CO with the same basic name. I don't care either way. My wife and I will do our best and I'm sure everyone else will too.

Benny

ique
02-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Hi All,
Harry Soo will not be in Sac. I repeat, Harry will not be in Sac. In fact, if anyone would take the time to check, he is holding a class on that day and that is the reason he is in AZ the week before.

I'm sure he won't be in Sacramento. But if he doesnt place in AZ and you do place in CA, let me guess, he will be in Vegas.

huminie
02-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Hi All,

There is no mystery or secret regarding the team names. I originally signed up for Sac. CA using my team name, Funtime BBQ. I also happen to be the assistant cook on Slap Yo Daddy BBQ.

Harry has honored me by asking me to change the name to Slap Yo Daddy II. Nothing more, nothing less. However, there are a number of people with "no agenda" who have problems with this. So the name was changed back to Funtime BBQ.

But as long as the topic was brought up, check the teams in NM and CO. One team is listed in NM and again as a #1 in CO. There are also two teams in CO with the same basic name. I don't care either way. My wife and I will do our best and I'm sure everyone else will too.

Benny

Thanks for chiming in Benny, and clearing up your situation. Look forward to seeing you in Sacramento!

Do you have plans to cook any other contests with your wife this year?

Jeff_in_KC
02-09-2011, 06:04 PM
That's stout!

Brother, that's a normal weekend at a KC area contest! Brutal! :heh:

RangerJ
02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Best part about being a young team who knows they are just lucky to even walk is, I'm just thankful to be cooking.

However, do the opinons change after the 11th when, if slots are available, a team could enter more than one local competition?

Or at least that's what I thought the rules say.

chromesporty
02-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Looking forward to see you again Larry!

Same here, Jorge! BTW, I used that little tip on ribs you gave me at Trader's Village to win ribs in Austin last month. Mucho Gracias!

Capn Kev
02-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Good question Chris... if you dress up a duck, is it still a duck?

So Scottie, is the "Leukemia Sucks Too" team in the Sacramento contest affiliated with you guys?

Scottie
02-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Not me....

Sticks-n-chicks
02-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Brother, that's a normal weekend at a KC area contest! Brutal! :heh:

Amen Brother...same bunch of arses I know and love! I just hope some day to be on the same page...I mean chapter as them...

dmprantz
02-09-2011, 07:55 PM
So Scottie, is the "Leukemia Sucks Too" team in the Sacramento contest affiliated with you guys?

Apparently a PNW cool by the name of Dale Groetsema.

bearnakedbbq
02-09-2011, 08:07 PM
I entered my first KCBS competition. Going to Sacramento in April! Do I get a special "rookie" ball cap?

Ford
02-09-2011, 08:41 PM
KCBS better get a handle on what to do when someone who doesn't qualify shows up on a qualifier's team in the finals. $35k for GC is going to bring out a lot of gamers. The GC could take home $40-50K with categories and overall. That's a lot of chedda.
Check the agenda for the Feb BOD meeting. They are still working on rules and somebody realized maybe it would be good to get a proclamation.

Plowboy
02-09-2011, 08:51 PM
That Arizona contest looks tough! Nice field of teams. Overland Park, too. Gonna be some great contests in this thing. Strap em on!

Wow, just looked at Midwest City. Glad I'm not going to Oklahoma. That is going to be a major shootout.

lcbateman3
02-10-2011, 05:56 AM
Well, I get to meet Jacked Up BBQ in person in Va at least!!

Ford
02-10-2011, 06:59 AM
If this is passed on Friday then a KCBS member number can only be associated with one team. So if they cook the SAMS series under one name then they can't do other contests under a different name. Now if TOY isn't an issue then as long as there are 2 different members they can each register for SAMS. What would not be allowed for TOY would be for me to cook as Great Lakes then do one as Cancersucks when Scottie couldn't make it. My number can only be associated with one team.

"Tabled from January, 2011: Candy Weaver Motion to modify Team of the Year in order that, a team shall be identified in the records of KCBS by name and head cook KCBS member number(s). Should a registered head cook not be present at a contest, that contest will not count towards team of the year points for that team. In the case of teams with multiple head cooks, those membership numbers will be associated with that particular team name and the above will not apply. Tabled to February 2011."

White Dog BBQ
02-10-2011, 07:03 AM
You guys are brutal here. I have seen Benny and his wife cook and I think they will give everyone a run for their money, including Harry. If you look at a lot of competitions some players team up for events. I know Todd from Plowboys has competed on his own but at times will cook with another team just to do one meat or two without any conflict, why trouble yourselves over this, it happens all the time. Best of luck to you Benny and every team entered.

I don't know Harry and Benny so I am not accusing them of anything. But the whole idea of someone splitting their team goes against the spirit (if not the letter) of the whole Sam's Club Series rules. You are supposed to get one opportunity per region. You don't have that rule in place for regular contests.

Again, I'm not saying Harry and Benny ARE doing that. But I do think people should be concerned about it happening somewhere, because the rules are in place for this series to limit teams to one entry per region.

Jeff_in_KC
02-10-2011, 07:25 AM
I don't know Harry and Benny so I am not accusing them of anything. But the whole idea of someone splitting their team goes against the spirit (if not the letter) of the whole Sam's Club Series rules. You are supposed to get one opportunity per region. You don't have that rule in place for regular contests.

Again, I'm not saying Harry and Benny ARE doing that. But I do think people should be concerned about it happening somewhere, because the rules are in place for this series to limit teams to one entry per region.

Until they open it up next week to a second one anyway.

After thinking about things, that region isn't going to fill up anyway until a second registration is allowed. There just aren't enough teams in those areas and I know from experience that it's a tough thing for midwest and eastern teams to get through the mountains and attend.

U2CANQUE
02-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Well, I get to meet Jacked Up BBQ in person in Va at least!!

Eh, that is highly overrated :crazy:

lcbateman3
02-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Eh, that is highly overrated :crazy:

Well, you know..... Nice to put names to faces.

Sticks-n-chicks
02-10-2011, 08:02 AM
If someone decides to take advantage well arses will be arses! I cook with 3 guys of which all of them can cook with or without the rest of us. If we were to split up we could all cook under different names and rather than have 1 chance to advance we could have 4 chances. I think that is not in the spirit of competing and would not do it. I want to compete as a team. If after the first round of registration there are spots available at other contests then you should be able to compete there as well as long as you don't take a spot from another team.

I think if you are going to cook at more than one qualifier you can sign up for the first one and if you want to do a second (after the first contest calendar date) you are able to sign up only 2 weeks prior to that contest. With the idea that prior to 2 weeks before the comp date any previously non-registered teams have a chance to register. If there are still spots then go for it.

Plowboy
02-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Surprised someone didn't create a super team... or maybe there is one and no one knows the name? A lit of Cheddar!

Do you happen to have Donny Teel's phone number? I... uh... need to talk to him about something... for a friend of mine.

Plowboy
02-10-2011, 09:25 AM
If this is passed on Friday then a KCBS member number can only be associated with one team. So if they cook the SAMS series under one name then they can't do other contests under a different name. Now if TOY isn't an issue then as long as there are 2 different members they can each register for SAMS. What would not be allowed for TOY would be for me to cook as Great Lakes then do one as Cancersucks when Scottie couldn't make it. My number can only be associated with one team.

"Tabled from January, 2011: Candy Weaver Motion to modify Team of the Year in order that, a team shall be identified in the records of KCBS by name and head cook KCBS member number(s). Should a registered head cook not be present at a contest, that contest will not count towards team of the year points for that team. In the case of teams with multiple head cooks, those membership numbers will be associated with that particular team name and the above will not apply. Tabled to February 2011."

This deserves a new thread. They'll need to define "be present". Can I show up for 15 minutes? Do I have to be present only for turn ins?

ique
02-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Do you happen to have Donny Teel's phone number? I... uh... need to talk to him about something... for a friend of mine.

I'm working on a new team, I Smell Que!!! :heh:

smknwhlswife
02-10-2011, 09:33 AM

Hey Chris how bout "IQue on Wheels". :thumb:

ique
02-10-2011, 09:40 AM

I'm down, what do you think, Orlando?

smknwhlswife
02-10-2011, 09:41 AM

Perfect!!! :laugh:

Scottie
02-10-2011, 09:47 AM
How about...

I Smell Que on Wheels Sucks...

Muzzlebrake
02-10-2011, 09:49 AM

hey hey now don't forget your Pit Biotches!:thumb:

musicmanryann
02-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Us Iowa boys are signing up under "Iowa's Tippy T Assassins, Starring Big Moe and his band of Boondoggled BBQ misfits":rockon: Too long? We're still working on it.:thumb:

Look for us in Santa Fe.

Scottie
02-10-2011, 10:02 AM
yeah... You'd need to get a really big banner...

Us Iowa boys are signing up under "Iowa's Tippy T Assassins, Starring Big Moe and his band of Boondoggled BBQ misfits":rockon: Too long? We're still working on it.:thumb:

Look for us in Santa Fe.

Jorge
02-10-2011, 10:03 AM
How about...

Y'all need Richard Westhaver on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plowboy
02-10-2011, 10:04 AM
How about...

I certainly agree with the last part. :heh:

Anchors Smokeshop
02-10-2011, 10:21 AM
I was bored and curious about the teams that I will be competing against in Pittsburgh, so I created this list of teams that have signed up and added a link to their KCBS profile.

2011 Sam's Club BBQ Series & National Championship
Region 5 Local Event: Pittsburgh, PA
Date: September 23 - September 24, 2011 Location: 249 Summit Park Dr., Pittsburgh, PA
Confirmed Teams:

Brutus and Company (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Brutus&id=55190)
I-Que (http://www.iquebarbecue.com/)
TNT Dynamite BBQ (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&alph=T&id=50216)
Brockport Cooks
Swamp Pit BBQ (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=14&alph=S&id=46488)
Black Dawg Barbeque (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=9&alph=B&id=64267)
CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq. (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=3&alph=C&id=29513)
Little Creek Bar B Cue Co (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=2&alph=L&id=57495)
Red Valley BBQ (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=2&alph=R&id=57565)
Ponderosa BBQ (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Ponderosa&id=49529)
White Dog BBQ (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&alph=R&str=White&id=6745)
The Pigs Next Door BBQ Cooking Team (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=The%20Pig&id=65280)
Christmas City BBQ (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Christmas&id=1636)
Blue Diamond Que
ZBQ (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Z&id=46671)
PHARTIN' BART'S BBQ & BEANS (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Phart&id=64190)
Damn Yankees (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Damn&id=62893)
Regal BBQ (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Regal&id=1518)
Penalty Box BBQ (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Penalty&id=53349)
Noel's Competition Barbeque (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Noel&id=64381)
The Smoke 'N Barrel (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=The%20Smoke&id=65219)
Jolly Scholar
Desperados Barbecue & Catering Co (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Desperado&id=59820)
I Smell Smoke !!! (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=I%20Smell&id=2237)
BETTER BBQ BUREAU (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Better&id=45671)
3-Eyz BBQ (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=3&id=62532)
Getta Que (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Get&id=25098)
UHOGG (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=U&id=63924)
Smoke on the Pud

Awaiting Confirmation:

Porter Mac's Rockin' BBQ (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Porter&id=58688)

Waiting List:

ole smoky bar-b-q (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Ole&id=64981)
Velvet Smoke (http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php?page=1&str=Velvet&id=63363)

Jeff_in_KC
02-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Phartin' Bart's BBQ and Beans cracks me the fark up! :laugh:

Smokin' Joe
02-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Look for us in Santa Fe.

That my friend is funny:clap2: Anyone know how to remove Mt. Dew from my laptop screen safely:becky:

AZScott
02-10-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm going to kick the hornets nest and ask why in the world having two - four head cooks from different teams is ok with everyone? Should a team be allowed to have another head cook or two come and cook their best categories? I don't care if it's a series or a local event worth $3000 but as a fellow competitor I'd rather you buy SRF pork collars. I hope that rule passes about a KCBS # being associated with only 1 team for any KCBS sanctioned event. For that matter each team should be assigned a KCBS # so we don't run into issues with slight changes to the spelling, location or I & II.

Just Pulin' Pork
02-10-2011, 10:32 AM
This thread is about to get out of control! :-P

Jeff_in_KC
02-10-2011, 10:37 AM

Somehow the whole thing needs to come to a head and boil over. Maybe someone (read: BoD) will start to actually deal with these kind of issues before they become full blown problems. Nuts must be grown. I have high hopes that the new members will bring theirs with them and start to bring about some change!

Just Pulin' Pork
02-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Somehow the whole thing needs to come to a head and boil over. Maybe someone (read: BoD) will start to actually deal with these kind of issues before they become full blown problems. Nuts must be grown. I have high hopes that the new members will bring theirs with them and start to bring about some change!

Jeff I agree 100% but at some point and time common sense needs to come into play. You would think someone who helped organize this whole Sam's club series or whatever its called might say, "hmmmmmmmm, what do we do if a team, that has multiple KCBS members, decides to venture out and try to enter multiple contests."

Plowboy
02-10-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm going to kick the hornets nest and ask why in the world having two - four head cooks from different teams is ok with everyone? Should a team be allowed to have another head cook or two come and cook their best categories? I don't care if it's a series or a local event worth $3000 but as a fellow competitor I'd rather you buy SRF pork collars. I hope that rule passes about a KCBS # being associated with only 1 team for any KCBS sanctioned event. For that matter each team should be assigned a KCBS # so we don't run into issues with slight changes to the spelling, location or I & II.

Why can't a cook be allowed to cook with anyone they want? This has happened throughout KCBS for years. Some of my best times have been cooking with other people. Think about mentoring and not just power house teams. Can I not cook with someone to learn from them?

With invitationals and series such as Sam's Club, I think the rule should be dance with the one that brought you to the dance. If you didn't cook with the team in the qualifier, don't show up for the regional or finals.

Rub
02-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Perfect!!! :laugh:

We'd love to see you guys make the trip down here...:boxing: :-P

bbally
02-10-2011, 10:52 AM
"Tabled from January, 2011: In the case of teams with multiple head cooks, those membership numbers will be associated with that particular team name and the above will not apply. Tabled to February 2011."

I predict this will pass at some point, as with the focus on paying to be a trained judge, this would cause a lot of teams to add memberships (read KCBS dollars) to handle scheduling lives around competitions.

There seems to me to be a big focus on dollar generation the last three years, be it judge training, now the membership required to compete in the Sam's series, etc etc.

I don't care either way, but seems to be a focus from where I watch from.

Slamdunkpro
02-10-2011, 11:02 AM
KCBS has stepped off the precipice with this event. For the large part KCBS rule enforcement has been "gentleman's rules" where the competitors have been looked to to do the right thing. With a big money series comes the responsibility of the body (KCBS) to avoid situations where angle shooters and outright cheaters have the oppurtunity to prosper. I hope the BoD has thought long and hard about this and recognizes that there are a number of rules and procedures that will need to be clarified, implemented and enforced at these events to avoid what could become very public controversies to the detriment of both KCBS and Sam's.

U2CANQUE
02-10-2011, 11:11 AM
How about...

I Smell Que on Wheels Sucks...-worthless nuts....I can bring the jambo and wood, grins

dmprantz
02-10-2011, 11:12 AM
With invitationals and series such as Sam's Club, I think the rule should be dance with the one that brought you to the dance. If you didn't cook with the team in the qualifier, don't show up for the regional or finals.

I agree with you in spirit, but how is it going to be enforced? Just using Harry and Benny so that we all understand, if Harry doesn't make it and Benny does, does that meant that Harry is forbidden from having a drink at Benny's camp come regionals? Are we going to have armed guards at every cook site to ensure that no one who wasn't there at a previous event shows up? Where's the line between hanging out as a guest, being an assistant cook, and cooking? What about drunk dishwashers?

dmp

musicmanryann
02-10-2011, 11:13 AM
-worthless nuts....I can bring the jambo and wood, grins

ROFLMAO!!!!:laugh::mod:

U2CANQUE
02-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Why can't a cook be allowed to cook with anyone they want? This has happened throughout KCBS for years. Some of my best times have been cooking with other people. Think about mentoring and not just power house teams. Can I not cook with someone to learn from them?

Todd, we told you to put away the common sense thread, it is unfortunate that you are not talking about how a kid would see it...(as your boys...they will give you the correct answer unfiltered), but, adults, remember too many years splitting hairs....but, that is one that does make sense.....

U2CANQUE
02-10-2011, 11:18 AM
ROFLMAO!!!!:laugh::mod:
it didn't come out looking the way I wanted it to....

should have looked like:

I Smell Que on Wheels Sucks-worthless nuts

U2CANQUE
02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
With all of the crazy talk you would think it was the January cook-off withdrawl blues....grins, but, it sure has made for interesting talk, and heck, I think that I have posted more in 2 days that I have in the last 6 months....

Ford
02-10-2011, 11:22 AM

Too late. That happened days ago.

Remember we're only talking the registered head cook. Anybody can cook on a team at anytime. So as long as I am there I could get John to cook chicken, David to cook ribs, Mike to cook Pork and Bubba to cook Brisket and turn it all in under my team name. That's legal and will always be legal in KCBS because they are cooking under my team umbrella. And that by the way is the 4 reigning TOY champions.

And that brings up a good charity fund raiser idea. How about getting these 4 guys together for some big charity to cook with a lucky individual maybe from make a wish or something like that. Just think of the publicity and benefits to the individuals and to the sport of BBQ in general. Bet we'd get national TV coverage.

RangerJ
02-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Just saw where a team from Texas added "Too" to the end of their name and is now entered in Baton Rouge as well.

Seems to be becoming a common practice.

But again, I'll ask, is there any heartburn if it happens after noon, tomorrow?

G$
02-10-2011, 11:25 AM

I agree, but that does not necesarily address "dancing with the same partner twice but with a different person leading each time".

Jorge
02-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Just saw where a team from Texas added "Too" to the end of their name and is now entered in Baton Rouge as well.

Seems to be becoming a common practice.

But again, I'll ask, is there any heartburn if it happens after noon, tomorrow?

It's not uncommon for husband and wife teams to cook the same contests in Texas, and frequently add 'too' to the second team.

It's possible that team does cook seperately, and if that's the case it's really not the same as a team splitting for the purposes of getting the additional opportunity to advance.

Ford
02-10-2011, 11:29 AM
For the SAMS series you are registered under the member # and team name. Can't change it at a regional or national. As to who cooks with you, well that is up to the invitational. Jack made a rule awhile back about team members having to cook with the team before the Jack to count. Guess the rules to be decided Friday could include this but that means submitting a list of those in attendance at the local. No KCBS #'s needed for those individuals.

Personally I say so long as the head cook is there then anybody could help out at a regional or national. For tax purposes, etc it's all in the name of the head cook. Something to keep in mind when dealing with larger purses.

My guests start arriving this afternoon so I'll probably have little online time until Sunday or Monday. So flame me if you want but don't expect a lot of answers. And did I mention the sun is shining, the beach is beautiful, the water clear and it's a great day.

HoDeDo
02-10-2011, 11:33 AM
How about...

Do they make enough Gentlemen Jack to have us all in the same team? :thumb: We would need a blast chiller just to keep up

hey hey now don't forget your Pit Biotches!:thumb: You know you are in for all games.

I will do you one better... I am a named team member on 4 teams... so you are going to force me to choose? I am originally a HoDeDo, Smoke on Wheels is my wife and I, I also cook with Todd, as Pork Pullin' Plowboys, and am one of the members of Big Guns BBQ. (and for that matter Todd and Sean are Smoke on Wheels members too)

I am all for making sure the series events are on the up and up... and I understand some of the issues with the perceptions going on with getting legs up in a region. But it is a small community, and folks would know if someone were really gaming the system. Dance with the one who brung ya at these events. that simple. No adding new or different cooks after you are rolling. Don't get all contrived and add rules that make things more unmanageable. Sign in when you arrive, at the local. The regional team is that crew, or that crew minus people... no new people. something simple.

I will cook with at least 5 or 6 different people this year. People will cook with me... I will likely cook with Rob and be backup on Them ohio city boys at some point, I will cook with Big Poppa Smokers at somepoint ( or they with me), I'll cook with my normal team members, why? Because it is fun!!! This weekend, I am cooking with ClarkKent Super Smokers. I have not seen my friend Brian since he was deployed. Mike P. will be there cooking also, and I have not spent any good time around a cooker with him in ages either. I am going out to have fun with my friends, drink beer, smoke a cigar, and cook. If we win, are we cheaters? that is BS. BBQ is about the friendship, the camaraderie, and the experience. So I call BS on trying to control who cooks where, when.

For the series events, or big invitationals, Who was cooking with you, to get you there? It is pretty simple to document that. no new oversight or rules needed. Look at my crew from the Jack. On any given weekend, Kim and I are doing the majority of all the work... but to travel around like we do, with a family, a dog, and lord knows what else... we couldnt do it without help. The folks that got us there, were at the jack with me. I could point to every contest they were at, and have no problem documenting it.. for these series events. it is simple to do... We need to keep it simple and manageable. Obviously cooking under with other teams, or friends doesnt get me ToY points... but if I am doing that I am not trying to get toy points for myself.

Bigmista
02-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Since all of these names are getting tossed around, I could use some help in Gilbert. How about "Big Cracker Boys on Wheels" or "I Smell a Big Bone"?

G$
02-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Since all of these names are getting tossed around, I could use some help in Gilbert. How about "Big Cracker Boys on Wheels" or "I Smell a Big Bone"?

See ya in Gilbert, Neil. With all these super teams I am going to go by "deadmoney" not "G$".

:-D

HoDeDo
02-10-2011, 11:56 AM
It's not uncommon for husband and wife teams to cook the same contests in Texas, and frequently add 'too' to the second team.

It's possible that team does cook seperately, and if that's the case it's really not the same as a team splitting for the purposes of getting the additional opportunity to advance.

In the TX events, (and I am keeping this high level, so dont bash me on specifics) two teams can share a site as long as they have two cookers.

There are many husband and wife teams that both spouses cook. each have thier own cooker, and share the site. Both can cook thier tails off. When we have cooked in IBCA before we have seen it many times. It is all on the up and up. And different cookers are used. We know one couple with a Geer and a backwoods mounted back to back, and the couple pulls up in thier motorhome and competes against each other, same site different cookers. IBCA allows it... so that is why you see names with the "too" or "2" etc. after them.

Blazen, Ritters, etc. have been at the royal, jack, etc. many times with either the husband or wife as the head cook... many times both have qualified and you see them competing against each other in these events. Both halves of the couples are usually great cooks. Both Ritters could kick my butt on any given weekend, that's for sure!

For the SAMS series you are registered under the member # and team name. Can't change it at a regional or national. As to who cooks with you, well that is up to the invitational. Jack made a rule awhile back about team members having to cook with the team before the Jack to count. Guess the rules to be decided Friday could include this but that means submitting a list of those in attendance at the local. No KCBS #'s needed for those individuals.

Personally I say so long as the head cook is there then anybody could help out at a regional or national. For tax purposes, etc it's all in the name of the head cook. Something to keep in mind when dealing with larger purses.

My guests start arriving this afternoon so I'll probably have little online time until Sunday or Monday. So flame me if you want but don't expect a lot of answers. And did I mention the sun is shining, the beach is beautiful, the water clear and it's a great day.

I agree Ford, keep it simple.

Jeff Hughes
02-10-2011, 12:03 PM
In the TX events, (and I am keeping this high level, so dont bash me on specifics) two teams can share a site as long as they have two cookers.

There are many husband and wife teams that both spouses cook. each have thier own cooker, and share the site. Both can cook thier tails off. When we have cooked in IBCA before we have seen it many times. It is all on the up and up. And different cookers are used. We know one couple with a Geer and a backwoods mounted back to back, and the couple pulls up in thier motorhome and competes against each other, same site different cookers. IBCA allows it... so that is why you see names with the "too" or "2" etc. after them.

Blazen, Ritters, etc. have been at the royal, jack, etc. many times with either the husband or wife as the head cook... many times both have qualified and you see them competing against each other in these events. Both halves of the couples are usually great cooks. Both Ritters could kick my butt on any given weekend, that's for sure!

I agree Ford, keep it simple.

Doug and Carol are cooking Austin as Ritter's Too.

I thought Doug might head to another region, but they'll be cooking together...

Carol got the Jack Draw from Oklahoma a few years ago, and Doug got it from somewhere else. I think they had to pull the Backwoods off of the trailer there...

smknwhlswife
02-10-2011, 12:07 PM

How else can I place a Barbie Blanket on Todd while he sleeps; make Jorge hold a parsley bouquet; pass-out on Sean's trailer inside 3 sleeping bags; about kill myself inside Rob's tiny trailer; eat some of Sled's awesome food; learn how much food Phil REALLY cooks; get chased around by some crazy red-head with a ice cold shaker of Tequila; know to have Scope around when Arlin & Jean show up. I can go on and on and Andy has even more stories.

Our first goal is NOT to win! It is to have the best time we can with new and old friends. Cooking, assisting, or just hanging out with other cooks/teams brings the fun up to an awesome level.

U2CANQUE
02-10-2011, 12:12 PM
How else can I place a Barbie Blanket on Todd while he sleeps; make Jorge hold a parsley bouquet; pass-out on Shawn's trailer inside 3 sleeping bags; about kill myself inside Rob's tiny trailer; eat some of Sled's awesome food; learn how much food Phil REALLY cooks; get chased around by some crazy red-head with a ice cold shaker of Tequila; know to have Scope around when Arlin & Jean show up. I can go on and on and Andy has even more stories.

Our first goal is NOT to win! It is to have the best time we can with new and old friends. Cooking, assisting, or just hanging out with other cooks/teams brings the fun up to an awesome level.

Amen:becky:....and even through that, you still invite us to your house.....:crazy:

Jorge
02-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Michelle Wade is #1 on the wait list for Conroe!:becky:

smknwhlswife
02-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Amen:becky:....and even through that, you still invite us to your house.....:crazy:

Any & Every Time!!!:clap2:

Jeff Hughes
02-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Michelle Wade is #1 on the wait list for Conroe!:becky:

Ronnie's cookin' Austin, they'll both probably end up in Ft Worth...

Jorge
02-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Ronnie's cookin' Austin, they'll both probably end up in Ft Worth...

Austin is stout! I ran down the list of teams last night. There WILL be some good cooks that don't advance.

RangerJ
02-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Pretty sure this particular team is not husband and wife.

Those others mentioned, you see on any given weekend. This team has always been one team and now, they have added a "Too".

I'm glad I'm just here to help fill out the field and give my money away, life seems easier that way.

crd26a
02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
BeBut it will open up a whole new bunch of opportunities for myself... Or at least my foundation...

Sounds like your sister's going to be kicking your a$$ in some comps before we know it :clap2::becky::clap2:

dmprantz
02-10-2011, 12:48 PM
I agree the line is hard to find. I think for the 1-2 person teams that never have guests and don't shaddow other teams, it's easy. For situations where 5-6 people all have their own teams and can compete differently at different events, it's hairy. When one of those multiple teams changes its name to a "too" it makes things look suspicious, but is it any different? Really?

dmp

Bigmista
02-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Wow. I'm a member of Four Q but I'm cooking as Bigmista's Barbecue. Are y'all gonna run me into the ground too or is all this venom saved up for folks that win a lot?

There are BBQ-Brethren teams all over the country. If Phil shows up with one in Florida and another in PA are y'all gonna ream him too? Good lawd folks. Just show up, cook your arse off and qualify. Then it won't matter. If Scottie shows up at a contest and competes against IQue I, II, III, IV and V, if he wins I'm pretty sure he won't care who else was in the field so why care now? Just worry about yourself and leave the rest to the officials.

ique
02-10-2011, 12:53 PM

Exactly, although it would be difficult to write rules that addresses this.

Jeff Hughes
02-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Neil

Are you going to be competing with Four Q as well in the Sam's series?

Ford
02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Wow. I'm a member of Four Q but I'm cooking as Bigmista's Barbecue. Are y'all gonna run me into the ground too or is all this venom saved up for folks that win a lot?
Sounds like some folks think you are a bad person but most think what you do is just fine.

I don't cook on another team but I often have head cooks from other teams cook with me at an event. Up in MI I did this 3 or 4 times last year as a mentoring effort. If the BOD ever says those cooks can't cook with me anymore then it's time to go full time vending and live off my accomplishments.

dmprantz
02-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Are you going to be competing with Four Q as well in the Sam's series?

Last year I cooked with 3Eyz, and also had my own team. Dan and I are both cooking in seperate regions' local events for this, does that mean one of us should be forbidden? If one of us makes it to regional and the other does not, can we not go help out or hang out?

dmp

Jorge
02-10-2011, 01:07 PM

There are BBQ-Brethren teams all over the country. If Phil shows up with one in Florida and another in PA are y'all gonna ream him too? Good lawd folks. Just show up, cook your arse off and qualify. Then it won't matter. If Scottie shows up at a contest and competes against IQue I, II, III, IV and V, if he wins I'm pretty sure he won't care who else was in the field so why care now? Just worry about yourself and leave the rest to the officials.

Apples and oranges. What most folks have questioned is teams that either exclusively, or almost exclusively, cook together splitting to gain a perceived advantage. More than one team is perceived to have done this.

roksmith
02-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Last year I cooked with 3Eyz, and also had my own team. Dan and I are both cooking in seperate regions' local events for this, does that mean one of us should be forbidden? If one of us makes it to regional and the other does not, can we not go help out or hang out?

dmp

My personal feelings are that for an event series like this.. no you would not be able to cook together in a regional or final. The teams should be set prior to the locals and locked down for the duration. In no other tourney type of event do teams get to cherry pick from the losing teams to build up their chances.
Regular KCBS events? Cook with who ya like.. but not in this format.

But then again.. I don't make up the rules, I just play by them.

Bigmista
02-10-2011, 01:14 PM
I guess it's only a percieved advantage if you see both of those teams as a threat. To me, BBQ is like golf. You don't play opponents, you play the course. Just put out your best effort, impress the judges and let the cards fall where they may.

Jeff Hughes
02-10-2011, 01:22 PM

dmp

That seems to be the question.

The same question would pertain to the Wades. Say Michelle makes Conroe and qualifies for Ft Worth, and Ronnie does not qualify in Austin. What then happens in Ft Worth? Will Ronnie not be allowed in her site?

tmcmaster
02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Whoo-Hoo! I'm in for Pittsburgh. Cooking solo. No 'super-team' or anything... just me and the cookers!

roksmith
02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
When you're playing golf for $100k, you are no longer playing against the course.

Scottie
02-10-2011, 01:44 PM
To me, BBQ is like golf. You don't play opponents, you play the course. Just put out your best effort, impress the judges and let the cards fall where they may.

Golf is also a gentleman sport. Golfers turn themselves in for rules infractions.... They never have to push or stretch the rules to their advantage. Just sayin...

Just Pulin' Pork
02-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Golf is also a gentleman sport. Golfers turn themselves in for rules infractions.... They never have to push or stretch the rules to their advantage. Just sayin...

Or if someone watching, points out the rules infraction. Someone at a BBQ points out a rules infraction, god only knows what would happen! It would not be pretty!

ique
02-10-2011, 02:28 PM
. If Phil shows up with one in Florida and another in PA are y'all gonna ream him too?

Yes. I will ream Phil too. :shock:

There is a difference between cooking with different teams and what is going on with some Sams Club Entries. From the rules:

"All teams are allowed to register only one time, and only for one contest during the registration period."

So lets take a hypothetical husband and wife team "We Q". Both are KCBS members. Husband signs up for Orlando as We Q. Wife signs up for Pittsburgh as We Q 2. They cook both events and potentially both cook the regionals.

Can we agree that this would be poor sportsmanship and not in the spirit of the rules? That is what is going on with some teams currently registered.

Just worry about yourself and leave the rest to the officials.

A different comment would be if you try to be sneaky, expect to get criticized.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
02-10-2011, 02:30 PM

dmp

WHOOOOAAA now. I haven't read this whole thread, just got directed here by somebody else pointing this out to me. For the record, there are 3 cooks and business partners that make up 3eyzbbq, myself, Chris H (Big Ugly) and Dan Mc (Mutha Chicken). I have all kinds of friends (dmp fits here) that may support the team, but no way do they speak for the team. Again, just felt the need to point that out :tsk:

sitnfat
02-10-2011, 02:32 PM
I think if team was to split up and cook at the same comp it would be an issue. By doing that they are giving themselves more of a chance for a top finish. If they want to cook multiples I dont see it as a big deal.I wouldnt do it the rules state one entry unless they dont fill up at that point they can decide if they want to enter another. Teams will see what is going and call them out on it.I wouldnt want to go to comps and be around the guys and gals I cheated to get an advantage over.

Muzzlebrake
02-10-2011, 02:33 PM
My personal feelings are that for an event series like this.. no you would not be able to cook together in a regional or final. The teams should be set prior to the locals and locked down for the duration. In no other tourney type of event do teams get to cherry pick from the losing teams to build up their chances.
Regular KCBS events? Cook with who ya like.. but not in this format.

But then again.. I don't make up the rules, I just play by them.

I have cooked on a team with Andy and/or Sled in various incarnations and lineups over the past couple of years. All 3 of us have separate teams entered into this tournament. Do you think that if one of us makes it to the finals, it would be be wrong to invite the others? Even though we all understand the importance of a good runner, I don't think that my turn-in through the crowd skills would give SoW any kind of unfair advantage :becky:

In all seriousness, I think this is more likely a scenario, friends inviting friends who didn't make it as far. Come on down and enjoy themselves and be part of it when another friend takes a shot at a "national championship".

If you asked me to pick who I think are the top teams in the tourney, I think they are all pretty confident in their own game and don't need to "cherry pick from the losers to build up their chances".

goodbuddiesbbq
02-10-2011, 02:36 PM
To preface...I am 94.8% accurate in regards to BBQ odds.

But first...
If you truly can't compete with your "team" because of geographic or logistical reasons...then I have no issues with this at all. I cook with a team 2-3 times a year, but am separated by 1000 miles now. I also cook about 5-6 times a year by myself. They will be competing in a region and so will I. I'm not going to miss out on this because of logistics. I wish them the best of luck, but I also hope that I wear them out, if we get there!

Can't worry about others too much...it takes too much time. To be honest...with all the good cooks out there...it would take the elite to get to the finals with more than 2 teams. If they can do that and win...job well done. At the end of the day...they would have been able to get into an event or two possibly if they don't fill up anyways.

In soccer...the last of the great sports, they say "Advantage: Play On"!

With that being said...here is Region 5 - Pittsburghs Power Poll
1. I-Que
2. I Smell Smoke !!!
3. CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
4. 3-Eyz BBQ
5. Jolly Scholar
6. RegalBBQ
7. Christmas City BBQ
8. zbq
9. Swamp Pit BBQ
10 .ponderosa bbq
11. TNT Dynamite BBQ
12. Getta Que
13. redvalley BBQ
14. White Dog BBQ
15. Blue Diamond Que

As always...:-D:-D:-Dso I don't get any death threats.

Just Pulin' Pork
02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Lets see if we can make this a 100+ page thread! :clap2: At this rate it will not hard to do!

Dustaway
02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Pretty sure this particular team is not husband and wife.

Those others mentioned, you see on any given weekend. This team has always been one team and now, they have added a "Too".

I'm glad I'm just here to help fill out the field and give my money away, life seems easier that way.

all they need to do is get a different KCBS # assign a new head cook & Too to the name several team members on that team.

dmprantz
02-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I haven't read this whole thread, just got directed here by somebody else pointing this out to me. For the record, there are 3 cooks and business partners that make up 3eyzbbq, myself, Chris H (Big Ugly) and Dan Mc (Mutha Chicken). I have all kinds of friends (dmp fits here) that may support the team, but no way do they speak for the team.

Agreed, and I never meant to imply that I was a pitmaster or business partner with the team. Only that I was "on" the team for at least one competition. If I mis-spoke about being "on" the team, I apologize for that. Sorry Dan if I caused you distress. Obviously, I haven't even had the chance to talk to you about this series!

dmp

sitnfat
02-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Where are you cooking dmp?

Scottie
02-10-2011, 02:50 PM
What about Thom? :becky:

WHOOOOAAA now. I haven't read this whole thread, just got directed here by somebody else pointing this out to me. For the record, there are 3 cooks and business partners that make up 3eyzbbq, myself, Chris H (Big Ugly) and Dan Mc (Mutha Chicken). I have all kinds of friends (dmp fits here) that may support the team, but no way do they speak for the team. Again, just felt the need to point that out :tsk:

roksmith
02-10-2011, 02:53 PM
1. I-Que
2. I Smell Smoke !!!
4. 3-Eyz BBQ
5. Jolly Scholar
6. RegalBBQ
7. Christmas City BBQ
8. zbq
9. Swamp Pit BBQ
10 .ponderosa bbq
11. TNT Dynamite BBQ
12. Getta Que
13. redvalley BBQ
14. White Dog BBQ
15. Blue Diamond Que

EAST COAST BIAS!!!!!

haha... I love being an underdog.

Scottie
02-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Neil, I think we will just agree to disagree on this. Doesn't mean one is right or wrong. :thumb: but to me.. Just because a team lists someone as a head cook. then those teammates go off to cook another contest, but with roll reversals. Does that mean the head cook only will wash dishes at the other contest? i don't really want a answer, just throwing out examples... So if that is the case, what is the difference in the teams, except what is on paper? Now if those 2 teams went off and competed on their own, without each other, there isn't anything that raises a flag.

Just some observations...

First off, I wasn't singling you out. I just used you and iQue as examples because you are successful and well know teams. It was a hypothetical situation.

Second, I don't think it is double dipping if they are at completely different contests and have different head cooks. If Harry or Benny was the head cook on both teams, then I would have a problem but they both have their own KCBS # and both have their own teams. If Harry went and assisted Benny as Funtime BBQ what would be the difference besides the name?

Jorge
02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Cool! I'll use Tammy's KCBS number and sign up as Slap Yo Daddy XXXVII! :laugh:

Husband and wife teams cooking seperately, Jeff. I don't want you and Tammy to ever split, because I enjoy watching her yell at you so much:-P

ique
02-10-2011, 03:03 PM
JINXED! :shocked:

1. I-Que
2. I Smell Smoke !!!
4. 3-Eyz BBQ
5. Jolly Scholar
6. RegalBBQ
7. Christmas City BBQ
8. zbq
9. Swamp Pit BBQ
10 .ponderosa bbq
11. TNT Dynamite BBQ
12. Getta Que
13. redvalley BBQ
14. White Dog BBQ
15. Blue Diamond Que

Muzzlebrake
02-10-2011, 03:07 PM

Might as well put you on the cover of the Bullsheet, SI and Madden 2011!

Big Ugly's BBQ
02-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Might as well put you on the cover of the Bullsheet, SI and Madden 2011!

Wouldn't that be Madden 2012, or Maddening 2012??

I believe he was a tad generous with us, lots of great teams there.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
02-10-2011, 03:10 PM

:butt:

I think my answer was clear, lol

Jeff_in_KC
02-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Lets see if we can make this a 100+ page thread! :clap2: At this rate it will not hard to do!

Before long, it's going to be more popular than the peanut thread! Speaking of which, I gotta go back and read that one sometime when I get a chance! It's been too long since I flat ass laughed til my face hurt!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14047

Muzzlebrake
02-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Wouldn't that be Madden 2012, or Maddening 2012??

I believe he was a tad generous with us, lots of great teams there.

you're right.....but lets not be so humble. You guys deserve to be in that discussion :thumb:

Chris, feel free to tank any contests you need (Roc City, Lake Placid, etc.) to get you down to a less ominous ranking :becky:

Just Pulin' Pork
02-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Before long, it's going to be more popular than the peanut thread! Speaking of which, I gotta go back and read that one sometime when I get a chance! It's been too long since I flat ass laughed til my face hurt!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14047

Jeff I just read 5 minutes of that link and that's pretty damn funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Jon

Ponderosa BBQ
02-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Hmmmm I'll keep a mental note of that!!! signed big moe a 1 man team from the beginning 100+ Kcbs contests till date. And I keep it real

Plowboy
02-10-2011, 03:49 PM

Who hasn't?

Plowboy
02-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Hmmmm I'll keep a mental note of that!!! signed big moe a 1 man team from the beginning 100+ Kcbs contests till date. And I keep it real

Testify!

You are a cold piece, Moe.

monty3777
02-10-2011, 04:07 PM

Moe = BBQ. Look forward to seeing you on the trail soon!

Slamdunkpro
02-10-2011, 04:09 PM

Oh thank you for that visual
http://www.slamdunkpro.com/Resources/mindbleach.jpg

YankeeBBQ
02-10-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm already under contract for I Smell Q. U. A. U. so you'll have to take me off those other teams.

goodbuddiesbbq
02-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Again...96.7% accurate...we make Vegas sweat! Ace Rothstein has just reviewed these lines with me and this is what we came up with.

This is the kind of stuff that makes you want to enter five times:

1. early bird bbq (upsets the tough field)
2. KC Can Crew
3. RIbs 4 u
4. Munchin Hogs @ the Hilton
5. MoKan Meatheads
6. Big Creek BBQ
7. Caveman Cuisine
8. Boondoggle BBQ
9. Four Men and A Pig
10.Pork Me Purple
11. Park Avenue Pork
12. Big Wigs BBQ
13. TEAM OVERSERVED
14. TheSlabs.com
15. Saucy Hogs
As always...:-D:-D:-Dno threats against my children.

RangerJ
02-10-2011, 04:30 PM
all they need to do is get a different KCBS # assign a new head cook & Too to the name several team members on that team.

I understand the model and the concept

But my guess is these two teams will merge based on who advances and I'll be shocked if its not the same team at both contests.

goodbuddiesbbq
02-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Maybe the first is just a practice cook? Just practice...not a real event where you actually try to win, but practice. C'mon we are talking about practice. Not even gonna put greens in the box or sauce the meat, just practice.

Not a real scheduled event where I actually load up my "real" stuff to try and compete...prac...are you serious...practice!

Not the royal or jack...practice!

- Allen Iverson on this thread

Tack
02-10-2011, 05:05 PM
This thread makes me glad I am the only cook on my husband and wife team.

rlncookinbbq
02-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Now sams club is looking down and smiling. What was one team buying briskets , now there are two.

Just sayin:-P

EarlyBird
02-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Again...96.7% accurate...we make Vegas sweat! Ace Rothstein has just reviewed these lines with me and this is what we came up with.

2. KC Can Crew
3. RIbs 4 u
5. MoKan Meatheads
6. Big Creek BBQ
7. Caveman Cuisine
8. Boondoggle BBQ
9. Four Men and A Pig
10.Pork Me Purple
11. Park Avenue Pork
12. Big Wigs BBQ
13. TEAM OVERSERVED
14. TheSlabs.com
15. Saucy Hogs

I sure hope you are right! :-D

Red Valley BBQ
02-10-2011, 05:34 PM
1. I-Que
2. I Smell Smoke !!!
4. 3-Eyz BBQ
5. Jolly Scholar
6. RegalBBQ
7. Christmas City BBQ
8. zbq
9. Swamp Pit BBQ
10 .ponderosa bbq
11. TNT Dynamite BBQ
12. Getta Que
13. redvalley BBQ
14. White Dog BBQ
15. Blue Diamond Que

Wow!! How did we rank so high? :shock:

goodbuddiesbbq
02-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Early Bird & Red Valley...only 2.3% of the time do I miss.

Typically, the background checks take 24 hours...so the lines may change.

Early Bird...you might as well go out and spend the money...it's as good as gold!

goodbuddiesbbq
02-10-2011, 06:24 PM
This would have been a nice spot to end up. Sorry ladies and gents, but 10 spots move on and anybody can win this one...not sure who...but somebody will win! That is my lock of the week for Region 5 - Greensboro, NC "Somebody will win!"

Here we go...don't ask me how I nailed this one, but I did...with 97.1% accuracy: Crazy - Bub-Ba-Q Too??? Franklin Moonswiners??? if those are who we thought they were move those two to the head of the class. Moonswiners - 1 / Bub-ba-Q Too -2. If not....Pickin' Porkers will be stylin and profilin in Greensboro, NC...whooooooooo! Possible P&D Reserve...you heard it here first.
1. Moonswiners - could win if this is the real deal(if this is the real moonswiners, if not screamin Nite Hog moves in).
2. Bub-Ba-Q Too - could win if this is the real deal. (If this has no relation to Bub-Ba-Q from GA remove and Up in Smoke gets in).
3. Pickin' Porkers
4. P&D's BBQ
5. BS Pitmeisters
6. Tarheel Smokers
7. Two Old Men and a Grill
8. CAROLINA BBQ CO
9. Beer Meets Grill
10. Smoke This
11. Screamin Nite Hog BBQ
12. Up in $moke BBQ Team
13. Crow Creek BBQ
14. Smokin' Peaches
15. A taste of Carolina

As always...:-D:-D:-DJorge has me operating on the 3 Strike Mandatory lifetime suspension.

Anchors Smokeshop
02-10-2011, 06:25 PM
To preface...I am 94.8% accurate in regards to BBQ odds.

But first...
If you truly can't compete with your "team" because of geographic or logistical reasons...then I have no issues with this at all. I cook with a team 2-3 times a year, but am separated by 1000 miles now. I also cook about 5-6 times a year by myself. They will be competing in a region and so will I. I'm not going to miss out on this because of logistics. I wish them the best of luck, but I also hope that I wear them out, if we get there!

Can't worry about others too much...it takes too much time. To be honest...with all the good cooks out there...it would take the elite to get to the finals with more than 2 teams. If they can do that and win...job well done. At the end of the day...they would have been able to get into an event or two possibly if they don't fill up anyways.

In soccer...the last of the great sports, they say "Advantage: Play On"!

1. I-Que
2. I Smell Smoke !!!
4. 3-Eyz BBQ
5. Jolly Scholar
6. RegalBBQ
7. Christmas City BBQ
8. zbq
9. Swamp Pit BBQ
10 .ponderosa bbq
11. TNT Dynamite BBQ
12. Getta Que
13. redvalley BBQ
14. White Dog BBQ
15. Blue Diamond Que

Don't underestimate the new guy! :mad2:

goodbuddiesbbq
02-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Smoke 'n Barrel = Most Likely to Succeed in Pork.

Big News in Orlando!!!
If Harry wants to go to Orlando (6 spots left) and gets out of bracket down there...I'll pay for his trip! Ouch! Gotta couple of World Champions and 10 teams with a GC in the last 9 months. 1 team that has about 3 RGC's in that same span and a team that would have won Plant City this year if he could put more than 5 ribs in a box. Additionally, there are some big dogs that haven't signed up yet.

Whiskey Bent BBQ
Swamp Boys
Team Unknown
Forrest Fine Foods
Jacks Old South
GB's
Uncle Kenny
Serial Griller (just won Lakeland)
Mount Dora
HomeBBQ.com (out of retirement George Foreman style...i like it)

Look out for
Braxton & The Funky Brisket Bunch
Naked Bones
Big Bad Wolf (most RGC's ever without a win...that is a searchable statistic in our database).
Firehouse BBQ
Hot Wauchula

Oh yeah...don't see Big Poppas Country Kitchen & Everglades Seasoning, Wooly Bulley, Git-R-Smoked in that one yet either!

That would make 14 teams with a GC in the last 9 month's....wow.

U2CANQUE
02-10-2011, 08:08 PM
He came to Dover DE and we beat his arse. I hope he cheats and makes the finals. One more team to not worry about! :laugh: Cheaters never win anyway.

Love ya brother:-P

Rub
02-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Not sure where this fits in, but was just making the comparison in my head...

Think of football. Your team plays all season, gets to the playoffs, and makes it to the big game. You have friends on other teams who didn't make it through the playoffs. You even used to play on the same team as some of them throughout your career. Sure there are great players on the other teams that are friends of yours and they'd love to play in the Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean they can come help your team out. You have a roster, and that's who can play.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
02-10-2011, 08:22 PM
He came to Dover DE and we beat his arse. I hope he cheats and makes the finals. One more team to not worry about! :laugh: Cheaters never win anyway.

You always find a way to open that wound...... :mad2::-P

Smokin' Bad Habit
02-10-2011, 09:22 PM
1. Smokin' Bad Habit
2. KC Can Crew
3. RIbs 4 u
5. MoKan Meatheads
6. Big Creek BBQ
7. Caveman Cuisine
8. Boondoggle BBQ
9. Four Men and A Pig
10.Pork Me Purple
11. Park Avenue Pork
12. Big Wigs BBQ
13. TEAM OVERSERVED
14. TheSlabs.com
15. Saucy Hogs
~IMO~
This is my prediction.........woot! woot! dont underestimate the 2nd season team!

ALSO IF I UNDERSTAND RULE 36 CORRECTLY NO BEER? EVEN IF ITS IN A Q.T. CUP?

36. The use, possession, sale, transfer, acceptance, solicitation or purchase of illegal drugs at any time is strictly prohibited. The use, possession of an open container, personal sale, transfer or acceptance of alcohol on Wal-Mart property is strictly prohibited. Any violation of this rule will be grounds for immediate disqualification.

sitnfat
02-10-2011, 09:25 PM
rule 34 alcohol must be in a locked contianer if ya leave the property Rub Won Out will be there and be drinking

Smokin' Bad Habit
02-10-2011, 09:29 PM
The use, possession of an open container,

thats the sentence that has me confused i see where the say u must keep your booze locked up when not at your site....so i guess they dont want you holding a bud bottle, so a cup is cool? i love my frosty beer right along my smoky BBQ

Jeff Hughes
02-10-2011, 09:36 PM
1. Smokin' Bad Habit
2. KC Can Crew
3. RIbs 4 u
5. MoKan Meatheads
6. Big Creek BBQ
7. Caveman Cuisine
8. Boondoggle BBQ
9. Four Men and A Pig
10.Pork Me Purple
11. Park Avenue Pork
12. Big Wigs BBQ
13. TEAM OVERSERVED
14. TheSlabs.com
15. Saucy Hogs
~IMO~
This is my prediction.........woot! woot! dont underestimate the 2nd season team!

ALSO IF I UNDERSTAND RULE 36 CORRECTLY NO BEER? EVEN IF ITS IN A Q.T. CUP?

36. The use, possession, sale, transfer, acceptance, solicitation or purchase of illegal drugs at any time is strictly prohibited. The use, possession of an open container, personal sale, transfer or acceptance of alcohol on Wal-Mart property is strictly prohibited. Any violation of this rule will be grounds for immediate disqualification.

If this were a calcutta, I'd buy #3 or #6 on that list...

Capn Kev
02-10-2011, 09:53 PM

I guess that's better than "I Pork Que"!! :becky:

Capn Kev
02-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Jeff I agree 100% but at some point and time common sense needs to come into play. You would think someone who helped organize this whole Sam's club series or whatever its called might say, "hmmmmmmmm, what do we do if a team, that has multiple KCBS members, decides to venture out and try to enter multiple contests."

Pretty simple solution really. USSSA Softball has been doing it for years. You have to register as an individual to play, and once you're affiliated with a team, you cannot cook with other teams unless your old team becomes defunct or it approved by the league. You track the player...not the team. There's a national database of players...and the teams they are associated with. This is done to help control "A" players from dropping down to "D" tournaments to help out a team as a "hired gun".

Frankly, if you're a great cook, adding another great cook isn't going to change things unless you forego your own processes. I cook with a good buddy of mine, and sometimes we cook as Wolfy & the Hog Heaters (his team, mostly his procedures) or Swinestone Cowboys (my team, mostly my procedures). I find it fun. We challenge each other with new ideas, and by having two different teams, we can each take turns being "captain".

Just my $.02

goodbuddiesbbq
02-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Some good names in this one as well. When the smoke clears...with a 98.4% (our most accurate to date) predictions, we have as follows:

1. EXTREME ROASTERS
2. Diva Q
3. The BBQ Guru
4. Shigs In Pit
5. cancersuckschicago.com
6. Rubbed,Smoked,and Sauced BBQ
7. Steel Smokin' BBQ
8. Great Lakes BBQ & Feed Co
9. Ribs & Bibs
10. bronze star bbq
11. Bavariansmoke bbq
12. Can't Stop Grillin'
13. Ole Ken Chuckie
14. SPRUCE RIDGE SMOKERS

How bout it RSS? Fresh out of class...expecting big things from you boys. Extreme wins over Diva by 2 points and Guru by 4. Shootout!

:-D:-D:-D

KC_Bobby
02-10-2011, 10:42 PM

2. KC Can Crew
3. RIbs 4 u
5. MoKan Meatheads
6. Big Creek BBQ
7. Caveman Cuisine
8. Boondoggle BBQ
9. Four Men and A Pig
10.Pork Me Purple
11. Park Avenue Pork
12. Big Wigs BBQ
13. TEAM OVERSERVED
14. TheSlabs.com
15. Saucy Hogs

Bummer.:cry: Do we at least earn enough points to get one of the two wildcards into the regional?? :pray:

Big Poppa
02-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Seems like the issue/issues are that there needs to be just a little clarification of some of the ongoing rules for the Sam's Club Series.
I read this thread (and dont want to read it again) but some of the name calling and predicting evil and gloating about beating a team in one comp is not in the spirit that I hope exists in bbq.

SirPorkaLot
02-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Seems like the issue/issues are that there needs to be just a little clarification of some of the ongoing rules for the Sam's Club Series.
I read this thread (and dont want to read it again) but some of the name calling and predicting evil and gloating about beating a team in one comp is not in the spirit that I hope exists in bbq.

The evils of money. The higher the stakes, the lower peoples ethics seem to fall.
I compete with no expectations of ever winning anything, if I do it is a bonus to a great weekend of fun

goodbuddiesbbq
02-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Bummer.:cry: Do we at least earn enough points to get one of the two wildcards into the regional?? :pray:

Yes...and in the regional you make it to the Nationals. You are a big comp cook...this event does not play to your strengths. Focus...execute...Arkansas

Capn Kev
02-10-2011, 11:03 PM

Lookin' forward to seeing you again at North Platte! Looks like the new venue should take some of that wind and cold out 'o play! :thumb: Still can't believe you slept outside in your chair in 24-degree weather last year :)

Finney
02-11-2011, 06:05 AM
I guess I should have checked the forum before I went to bed...
Reading all this before coffee is making my head hurt... :brick:

Ford
02-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Please don't ask to drop out. There's a small handful of people here actually criticizing, The rest are really more PO'd at another example of KCBS mismanagement in not having thought of this when creating rules. Dropping out lets others force their will and opinion upon you when they are the ones that are wrong. I'll be glad to cook against Funtimebbq in Bentonville in October and if Harry is your assistant, so much the better. Just remember it's your team not his and do it your way.

THE RULE SAYS - you as a KCBS member can only register once. You guys did nothing wrong. But it does mean that down the road if Harry can't cook you will not be able to cook for him as SYD as your member # will now be associated only with funtimebbq. But you will still be able to be an assistant cook with SYD. Anybody can come out and cook as an assistant and points count for TOY.

Hi All,

I don't know most of you. Those I have met have all been quite kind to me. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of posting what was a simple explaination for why there were two SYD teams listed and subsequently changed to our respective team names.
I signed up for the CA contest because I have some skills of my own and wanted to test those in a comp. knowing that SYD had a week off due to the class in Diamond Bar. As a retireee, I have a fixed income. Being the assistant on SYD gives me the opportunity to travel and compete without using much of my own funds. Except for being in the shadows that is a perfect situation for me. This contest is a chance for me to prove myself.
But first and formost, I am the assistant cook on SYD. So, I will check with KCBS in the morning and if I can get my entry fee back, I will drop out. This stuff is not worth it to me. If I can't get my money back, my wife and I will cook and see what happens. Yes, I'll have to make a decision to continue should we be lucky enough to do so. Right now, I'm not so inclined. The haters have won.

Best wishes and good luck to everyone,
Benny

RangerJ
02-11-2011, 06:50 AM
I compete with no expectations of ever winning anything, if I do it is a bonus to a great weekend of fun

Can I get a witness?! Amen.

Ford
02-11-2011, 06:53 AM
Not sure where this fits in, but was just making the comparison in my head...

Think of football. Your team plays all season, gets to the playoffs, and makes it to the big game. You have friends on other teams who didn't make it through the playoffs. You even used to play on the same team as some of them throughout your career. Sure there are great players on the other teams that are friends of yours and they'd love to play in the Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean they can come help your team out. You have a roster, and that's who can play.
Counterpoint - NASCAR - didn't the 28 car and the 48 car switch pit crews part way thru the season this past year? Under the rule you are proposing Jimmie Johnson would not be the NASCAR champion as he would have been DQ'd.

I like to mentor other cooks and can't do that if I have to submit a team roster before the season starts. Having a roster is taking things to far, we're in this for fun as well as money.

Cue's Your Daddy
02-11-2011, 07:35 AM
:pop2:

4 smokin butts
02-11-2011, 07:41 AM
i see the championship is on a weds-thurs ?

trueque
02-11-2011, 07:52 AM
i see the championship is on a weds-thurs ?

If it were in September 2011, that would be correct, but October 14-15 is a normal fri-sat schedule.

See you there! ;-)

monty3777
02-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Right now, I'm not so inclined. The haters have won.

Best wishes and good luck to everyone,
Benny

Dude, why in the world would you let internet chatter by a bunch of folks you don't know influence your decisions? I think you are making a big mistake. Change the name of the team if that keeps folks off your back, but by all means don't let people push you around. Folk are entitled to their opinions, but you are also entitled to do your thing. If you back down now you will always regret it.
:boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::b oxing::boxing::boxing:

BBQchef33
02-12-2011, 09:37 AM
ADMIN NOTE:

Good Mornin Folks.

This thread has been scrubbed and restarted. The original thread is left in the forum and locked. Lets not repeat the situation.

We do need and want a "Sams Club Championship" thread in our forum and this one is worth keeping for posterity, minus the venom.

I did my best to take out all the comments aimed at anyone or any team without destroying the thread or removing the general and valid discussion points of the way the rules are stated or interpreted. I may have missed some, or left some behind due to "quoting", but it is what it is. There may be some disjointed-ness(is that a word), but we can live with it.

Lets get back to the Sams Club championship and keep it friendly.

If desired, Discuss the rules in a general context (and dont be a wise ass and try to circumvent by using very specific generalities for the same old controversial subject)

Plan, have fun..Talk smack, psyche each other out... but be nice!!! if anyone sees it going down the same path, please self police, or offer a friendly reminder, BUT hit the report post button too!

DONT TURN IT INTO A SLUGFEST AGAIN!

monty3777
02-12-2011, 10:00 AM
I have been thinking about why this contest has created so much buzz. Aside from the money, is there any real prestige in winning this series? Certainly the Sam's Club Series isn't anywhere near the GAB, Royal or the Jack (to name a few). I'd hate to see a contest elevated to the stature of those comps just because it has a big payout. Am I missing something?

Jorge
02-12-2011, 10:05 AM
I have been thinking about why this contest has created so much buzz. Aside from the money, is there any real prestige in winning this series? Certainly the Sam's Club Series isn't anywhere near the GAB, Royal or the Jack (to name a few). I'd hate to see a contest elevated to the stature of those comps just because it has a big payout. Am I missing something?

Time will tell. It's somewhat unique in that you have to cook three good contests to be in contention. The factor of hitting the right tables is reduced. It's not perfect, but it has potential.

chromesporty
02-12-2011, 10:08 AM
The way I see it is like a tournament. BBQ's March Madness. I think there will be some prestige in winning this thing. I'm hoping just to make it out of Austin!

monty3777
02-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Time will tell. It's somewhat unique in that you have to cook three good contests to be in contention. The factor of hitting the right tables is reduced. It's not perfect, but it has potential.

That makes sense. I suppose perhaps this contest rewards consistency more than others.

Jorge
02-12-2011, 10:10 AM
The way I see it is like a tournament. BBQ's March Madness. I think there will be some prestige in winning this thing. I'm hoping just to make it out of Austin!

Anybody making it out of Austin has something to be proud of. It's one of the tougher locals, maybe second to Overland Park.

ThomEmery
02-12-2011, 10:52 AM

He probably had me cooking in the Southeastern Regional with
you er David

Todd Ras
02-12-2011, 11:07 AM
I know when our team was figuring out the contest schedule for 2011 the one thing we loved about it was it was a tournament style. Win/place and your in and move to the next round. That sounds fun, like a March Madness style comp. You will have the teams you think will win it all and then you will have teams that are underdogs and shock the field. Just sounds fun to watch how the field plays out.

Alexa RnQ
02-12-2011, 11:18 AM
is there any real prestige in winning this series? Certainly the Sam's Club Series isn't anywhere near the GAB, Royal or the Jack (to name a few). I'd hate to see a contest elevated to the stature of those comps just because it has a big payout. Am I missing something?
This series has the potential to be something unique on the BBQ landscape: the closest thing to a national playoff series.

The Jack and the Royal have their own cachet, and KCBS ToY is a hardcore achievement, but this series offers something else. The Jack or Royal Invitational are populated by GCs, some of which are one-offs; this series will require consistent performance over time. KCBS ToY is hard to contend in for teams who don't travel extensively or compete in a double-digit number of shows per season, and many teams may never get to compete head-to-head.

In the Sam's Club national, the field will be teams who have performed well in more than one contest, and who all eventually get to meet on the same field to shoot it out. Everyone is supposed to have had an equal shot at getting in at the local level; from there, a team can advance on the strength of their work, and get to ultimately go against the best opponents the series can offer them.

It's an incredibly exciting opportunity, one which we hold in high regard.

monty3777
02-12-2011, 11:55 AM
This series has the potential to be something unique on the BBQ landscape: the closest thing to a national playoff series.

I hear you, and respect your thoughts. For the sake of argument, though, this sounds to me like a watered down Royal Invitational. In the Royal you have to compete against a huge number of champions. I suppose the same is true with the Jack, but on some different terms. IMO, it is much more difficult and significant to win a Royal Invitational than this Sam's Club Series. I should also add that all of these comps are way over my head. No disrespect to the winners of the Sam's thing because it will be a great victory - but in my eyes it's nothing compared to the talent it takes to win some of these other comps. Anyone with a KCBS membership, $250, and a fast internet connection can enter this comp. Not to put too fine a point on it - even I could compete in a Sam's Club event. I wouldn't even be able to be a runner at the Royal or Jack. Just $0.02. :thumb:

monty3777
02-12-2011, 12:16 PM
I should add that I appreciate the underdog/spoiler element this series brings to the table. To me, that's what makes this interesting.

Just Pulin' Pork
02-12-2011, 12:32 PM
I hear you, and respect your thoughts. For the sake of argument, though, this sounds to me like a watered down Royal Invitational. In the Royal you have to compete against a huge number of champions. I suppose the same is true with the Jack, but on some different terms. IMO, it is much more difficult and significant to win a Royal Invitational than this Sam's Club Series. I should also add that all of these comps are way over my head. No disrespect to the winners of the Sam's thing because it will be a great victory - but in my eyes it's nothing compared to the talent it takes to win some of these other comps. Anyone with a KCBS membership, $250, and a fast internet connection can enter this comp. Not to put too fine a point on it - even I could compete in a Sam's Club event. I wouldn't even be able to be a runner at the Royal or Jack. Just $0.02. :thumb:

Monty I would hold the Royal Invitational in alot higher regards then this Sam's club contest.Did you mean the Royal Open? You said it yourself, with the Sam's club contest anyone can enter it. The Royal invitational is invite only.

Rich Parker
02-12-2011, 12:44 PM

$250, KCBS membership, and a fast internet connection isn't going to be enough to win anything. You have to have 3 excellent cooks to take this thing off and the farther you go the better the cooks are more likely to be. I won't debate with you which contest has more prestige because this one isn't anything like the jack or the royal, and I think that is good thing.

I hope this is a first of many of its kind.

rocksbarbque
02-12-2011, 12:48 PM
I propose a chop right now...If my team got to the finals in Sam's "almost free roll" 50 teams * $250 equals $12.5k ... 100k in prize makes for +ev of 87.5k. Thats $1750 per team. For the more local teams this is one heck of a near free roll. for farther teams the chop would make so much sense after all it is about the money right? who care about the belt...

monty3777
02-12-2011, 01:07 PM
$250, KCBS membership, and a fast internet connection isn't going to be enough to win anything. You have to have 3 excellent cooks to take this thing off and the farther you go the better the cooks are more likely to be. I won't debate with you which contest has more prestige because this one isn't anything like the jack or the royal, and I think that is good thing.

I hope this is a first of many of its kind.

You know what? I'm just bitter I can't go to the Madison contest. :heh::heh:

This is a great thing for BBQ and I hope to be in it someday. Good luck to all the teams who are in this one!

Rich Parker
02-12-2011, 01:15 PM
You know what? I'm just bitter I couldn't go to the Madison cook. :heh::heh:

This is a great thing for BBQ and I hope to be in it someday. Good luck to all the teams who are in this one!

Hahaha....You can come to Traverse City and cook with me if you want to slum it on a couple of drums. Your Jambo might cook as good as the twins. :cool:

You make some good points on why those comps are different, but i think the prestige comes with their history and what that history means to you.

Coz
02-12-2011, 01:57 PM
You know what? I'm just bitter I can't go to the Madison contest. :heh::heh:

ME TOO :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: Maybe not bitter just disappointed on the date for Madison.

burnt end jayhawk
02-12-2011, 03:10 PM
2. KC Can Crew
3. RIbs 4 u
5. MoKan Meatheads
6. Big Creek BBQ
7. Caveman Cuisine
8. Boondoggle BBQ
9. Four Men and A Pig
10.Pork Me Purple
11. Park Avenue Pork
12. Big Wigs BBQ
13. TEAM OVERSERVED
14. TheSlabs.com
15. Saucy Hogs

What no love for Sticks-n-Chicks? :-P

drbbq
02-12-2011, 05:27 PM
ME TOO :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: Maybe not bitter just disappointed on the date for Madison.

Some guy from Florida is bogarting a Wisconsin spot.

tmcmaster
02-12-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm actually a little shocked that we were able to get in.

Coz
02-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Some guy from Florida is bogarting a Wisconsin spot.Doc it isnt that I couldnt get in .We cook for a charity event that weekend .I could have gotten out of it but decided that I would go to Minnesota and keep the charity folks fed.I consider myslef a good sized guy but Gilbert Brown is way bigger then me.

trohrs123
02-12-2011, 06:00 PM
im actually a little shocked they LET you in :boxing: haha...see u there

Red Valley BBQ
02-12-2011, 06:46 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :laugh:

tmcmaster
02-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Just keep the Tequilla away from that brother of yours, and we'll all be able to get some sleep!!!:heh:

Tack
02-13-2011, 12:49 AM
Who is bringing Tequila??

Ford
02-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Not to put too fine a point on it - even I could compete in a Sam's Club event. I wouldn't even be able to be a runner at the Royal or Jack. Just $0.02. :thumb:
If I make it to the Royal invitational this year I'll gladly have you as my runner.

bbally
02-13-2011, 08:12 AM

Time, indeed, will tell.....

Of interest to me is how the contest will evolve? I mean the first year the rush to get in and sign up fast makes sense.......

But have they thought about how sign up will work next year?

Does the top half of the finishers (15 teams) have the right to return? And the other 15 go for the internet speed sign up deal?

Or is it always going to be a crap shoot? While the crap shoot works the first year for the buzz it created.........

The follow on years decide if the event continues on as a premier event or is it always a random smattering of people who are lucky enough to get in prior to the 30 team cut off.

If latter is the case I don't see if ever moving up to compete with The Royal or The Jack.... but if they are careful and invite the top half back and keep the dark horse enter style of the random, it could turn out to be a pretty cool long term run.

tmcmaster
02-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Who is bringing Tequila??
I'm bringing Jager.

Red Valley BBQ
02-13-2011, 10:06 AM
We'll have the Dickel. :thumb:

Ford
02-13-2011, 01:55 PM
The follow on years decide if the event continues on as a premier event or is it always a random smattering of people who are lucky enough to get in prior to the 30 team cut off.
What has luck to do with getting in. If you really want to get in there were 40+ spots available for a team to sign up for that did not fill up. Might mean some travel but only a few teams get less than 200 miles. I'm looking at trying in round 2 of registration for contests as far as 2000 Miles away. Bottom line - if you are serious there was lots of opportunity to get in.

smoke-n-my-i's
02-13-2011, 04:00 PM

That is what I said.... I am #30 at Greensboro... so what does that mean? The other 29 teams have a better chance at the top 10..... :shock:

Hey Rub, talking of underdogs.... remember my brisket in Bartow of '09???? I was knocking on your door buddy.... now that was a shocker..... :becky: but I loved it.

See ya all in Greensboro.

bbally
02-13-2011, 07:07 PM
What has luck to do with getting in. If you really want to get in there were 40+ spots available for a team to sign up for that did not fill up. Might mean some travel but only a few teams get less than 200 miles. I'm looking at trying in round 2 of registration for contests as far as 2000 Miles away. Bottom line - if you are serious there was lots of opportunity to get in.

I am in already....

I was referring to Jorge's post about hitting the correct tables through three competitions, which IMO is a real problem, especially given the amount of newbie judges KCBS cranks out each month.............

I was giving my opinion on other factors that will impact whether or not it becomes a world class event (like The Royal or The Jack to name two).

It is my opinion that the top half of the finishers need to be invited to the following year's event to continue to have the event grow in prestidge.

While I agree with you the money might make it worth long travel to participate, I am of the opinion that some type of invitational format will be required along with the blizzard entry lottery presently used in the first year.

Failing that it will become a bandwidth and timing issue not a high end competition.

Muzzlebrake
02-13-2011, 07:36 PM
I
I was giving my opinion on other factors that will impact whether or not it becomes a world class event (like The Royal or The Jack to name two).

It is my opinion that the top half of the finishers need to be invited to the following year's event to continue to have the event grow in prestidge.

While I agree with you the money might make it worth long travel to participate, I am of the opinion that some type of invitational format will be required along with the blizzard entry lottery presently used in the first year.

Failing that it will become a bandwidth and timing issue not a high end competition.

While I sgree with you about this becoming a world class event. I think that is something that only time will tell. I dont agree with you that in order to become world class the top half get an auto into next year. What contest does that? I've never heard of the Jack or the Royal doing that.

I also don't think that is was a bandwidth race in any way, shape or form. I didnt follow the other regions but in region 5, one of the contests filled the first day but the other 2 didn't.

There are going to be 600 teams that get whittled down through 3 rounds of competition. All teams in the final will be there because of their perfomance.If oyu talk to the people that competed in last years Sam's Club Invatationa, they were treated very well by the host. I find it hard to not think that the final will be a world class event.

pigmaker23
02-13-2011, 07:41 PM
is there a bracket posted for zone 5 anywhere?

Anchors Smokeshop
02-13-2011, 07:48 PM
I find it hard to not think that the final will be a world class event.

I think that they will make all 3 levels world class events.