View Full Version : Will Sams club .wal marts and otherbiggies

rlncookinbbq
02-08-2011, 10:06 PM
will the monsters down the road knock out th

e smalltown bbq comps.

RLN

bigabyte
02-08-2011, 10:15 PM
I think this would be better off in the comp forum.

I think it will have an impact. There will be fewer competitors at competitions held the same weekend as these events. I do not think there is a queue of competition teams waiting to fill the void. All who want to compete, are competing.

I don't think it's a bad thing though. It's just the growth of the "sport". If companies want to offer such prizes up for grabs, why wouldn't teams go for it? If other events can't compete, they go under. It's a healthy thing I think.

Ford
02-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Well I think adding 20 contests is a big plus for competition BBQ especially with hte prize money. I think existing comps will still get their teams. There may be the odd struggling contest that just took a hit being on the same weekend in the same location but any solid contest should be able to stand the loss of a handful of teams. I know of a couple of contests that are not back this year but it's not because of SAMS, but rather the lack of Sponsors.

And I think that there are a lot of teams that cook 1 contest and it's usually the local home town small contest and they will continue to cook that contest. So I don't see the SAMS series having an impact.

Now if we suddenly get 10 series like SAMS then I think we will see an impact. I would like to see that happen and it would be great for the teams that compete a lot but it would hurt the smaller contests then.

tmcmaster
02-09-2011, 08:15 AM
I think this is kind of a slippery slope... While the bigger contests are great for the bigger teams that can get into them, they MAY take some focus away from smaller comps, who sort of rely on drawing a bigger team or 2 just due to location or no other event that weekend. Throw a biggie like a Sam's contest that weekend, and the smaller comp may now lose it's bigger draw.

I dunno, I see pluses and minues to it... I guess only time will tell.

DawgPhan
02-09-2011, 08:25 AM
I think that yesterday we saw that big time money is only important to about 300 teams or so. The other 5000+ teams that compete each year will simply go on about their season as usual. The world is not ending and your small town contest will exist despite of big money. You just can't expect that Pellet Envy or Cool Smoke are going to be at your small town contest, but that isnt really happening anyway.

But right now things are shaking out nicely for folks with skills and aspirations of cooking bbq full time. There probably needs to be around 25 contests with $100k+ purses paying through 50th or whatever to support the 50 or so teams that can seriously think about full time. Then another 100 teams or so who think they can pushing the top 50 and creating some "dead money" to support the top.

luckyduk
02-09-2011, 08:26 AM
I believe it will help the larger teams or the teams willing to travel. For me Woodbury, Mn(about 4 hours) was the closest, then Indianapolis, In (about (8 hours) for the regional. Instead of Woodbury, I will go to Marshalltown which is about half the drive.
Will be interesting to see!

Scottie
02-09-2011, 09:28 AM
I like to look at the positive effect it will have. The Sam's Series will allow a team that maybe only cooks less than a handful of contests a year, an opportunity to say that I am the national champion. They don't have to cook 20+ contests a year for Team of the Year,. They don't have to travel 40,000 miles to win the Kingsford Cup. that is all good for BBQ in my opinion because it attracks both the large and the small cooks.

Now the Smoke on the Water events are a bit different. Those are big money payout contest and do have a larger entrance fee. But if you had a chance to win $25,000-$35,000 for the Grand Champion, that is hard money to ignore... Still good for BBQ and for the growth of BBQ.

roksmith
02-09-2011, 09:39 AM
I guess time will tell how events like this affect the smaller contests. I think there are still plenty of teams to go around, but I would hate to see a handfull of contests go under because they can't attract enough teams.

CBQ
02-09-2011, 10:22 AM
I like to look at the positive effect it will have. The Sam's Series will allow a team that maybe only cooks less than a handful of contests a year, an opportunity to say thhhat I am the national champion.

That's a great point, Scottie. Although KCBS tries to level the field, to a certain degree TOY is still a volume competition.

Other than Sam's, most of the big money events are well over a one day drive for Northeast teams. The full timers can afford to spend a week on the road, but most of the teams are not full time, and they are going to patronize local contests. I don't see the big money events having much of an impact in the northeast until there are a lot more of them a lot closer.

sitnfat
02-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Small events come and go the big comps like the sams series are nice big money small field

AZScott
02-09-2011, 12:10 PM
We're a new team, 4 contests, and I don't see how these big contests will take away from small contests as long as there isn't a scheduling conflict. If anything, the small competitions will do better with the more exposure bbq gets. The only thing I see that could have an affect is entry fee's, fuel, and food prices continuing to rise. If I can spend $700 for a comp I'm in. When it approaches $1000 to $1500 to compete in a contest, I have a much tougher time justifying it even if the prize pool is larger.

Capn Kev
02-09-2011, 01:12 PM
I think the real question is what will the competitive profile change be of the "typical" BBQ contest. With increased saturation of contests, you risk diluting the talent at each contest. Plus, how will that affect the prestigious invitational contests. Will the Jack increase the number of "draws" from each state in order to get a better representation of the talent from each state? Will all of these new contest GCs get an invite to the Royal, and be eligible for a Jack draw?

I really like the idea of local, regional, and national contest progression. It opens the door to all competitors, not just the "big boys" that can afford to tour on a weekly basis.

I don't see the local contests going away, and from what I've seen so far, only about a handful of teams have a conflict with previously scheduled contests (barring the Royal).

I'm curious to see how this changes the landscape of BBQ competition, and I'm kind of excited about it.

guntera
02-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Well being brand new to BBQ and wanting to compete this year. I'm looking at it as a way for the big boys to go down a much more high profile trail and leave the little comps alone. And I'm saying this with a lack of better words I'm sure. So I dont want to make anyones blood pressure boil. Its just that I know I'm not that good at BBQ as some of the pro's are nor should I be for being a rookie, but I would rather have a fighting chance at a local comp than pull up and see someone like Johnnie Trigg (as an example) parked next to me. I might as well pack my stuff back up and head to the house.

worthsmokin
02-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Its just that I know I'm not that good at BBQ as some of the pro's are nor should I be for being a rookie, but I would rather have a fighting chance at a local comp.

Those pro teams are the ones that give you secrets and tips. If they don't show up at your smaller events then you can go your whole career saying your not that good bbq. We all have to learn from somebody.

I think there are plenty of quality teams out there that will keep the smaller events very competitive.

Tyler

guntera
02-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Those pro teams are the ones that give you secrets and tips. If they don't show up at your smaller events then you can go your whole career saying your not that good bbq. We all have to learn from somebody.

This may be a dumb question, but like I said I'm new and just want to learn the process. When do the pro's give you any secrets or tips at a small event? It kind of seems like they are busy with their own pit and area rather than going around telling the new guy what he could be doing better.

worthsmokin
02-09-2011, 05:50 PM
You would be surprised with how nice everybody is and information they are willing to give. They are not going to tell you everything i am sure of that. There are so many small things that can help you become a better cook.

They are so dialed into a schedule they have all the time in the world. The pros make it look easy. Where we as the newbees run around in circles.

Tyler

Dale P
02-09-2011, 06:18 PM
My thing is that for teams like us, we cant travel 800 miles then be expected to go 600 miles, then 1000. I want too but I cant. Maybe when my kids are out of college, or I hit the lotto...
I really want too though. Who needs kids anyhow.................

guntera
02-09-2011, 07:03 PM
You would be surprised with how nice everybody is and information they are willing to give. They are not going to tell you everything i am sure of that. There are so many small things that can help you become a better cook.

They are so dialed into a schedule they have all the time in the world. The pros make it look easy. Where we as the newbees run around in circles.

Tyler
well thanks for the insight! Yeah, I would probably just pee on myself if a pro that I have admired in the BBQ world talked to me at a small comp about tips . It just seems a little intimidating to compete with the same folks that know for sure what they are doing and clean house on the winnings. Which is why I do like that some local comps here let you enter in individual catergories that you can focus on, rather than dump a couple hundred bucks in a comp just to get entered. And you have to do everything to get your moneys worth. Thats a lot of over-time money for BBQ!!! LOL!

Fat Woody
02-09-2011, 10:14 PM
This may be a dumb question, but like I said I'm new and just want to learn the process. When do the pro's give you any secrets or tips at a small event? It kind of seems like they are busy with their own pit and area rather than going around telling the new guy what he could be doing better.

First off, welcome Guntera! I think if you hang around here long you'll see that the Brethren are very helpful and Brethren teams at comps are very approachable. The key is in the timing - if you come over during turn-in and start asking a bunch of questions you might just get the brush off. But if you come when things are not so hectic, introduce yourself, maybe offer up a cold beverage and start a conversation, you'll likely be rewarded with some very helpful info. I've learned more in the two years I've spent here than I did in all the comps I cooked before joining (which admittedly isn't that many). We'd love to cook more often, but I have work conflicts most of the summer.

As far as big money comps hurting the smaller ones by pulling away the bigger teams, I agree with Scottie: the more the merrier! As the sport grows there will be more contests and logically, more big money events, both good for BBQ. Novice teams like ours have to gain experience through doing and the smaller comps are great for that. We may never do 30 contests a year and win TOY, but at the Sam's type events we can compete against the teams that do. The Sam's contests are like Scottie said, an opportunity to level the field somewhat. We might not be setting the BBQ world on fire (yet!), but I measure our successes by looking at the teams we beat at any given contest and we've occasionally done pretty well! If you're not competing against the best, you really don't have a way to benchmark your progress. Someone in another thread used the term "dead money" to describe the teams that are not successful, but I look at it as paying my dues. If we have to be "dead money" until we improve, then that's what it takes. I'm still having a great time and meeting some good people along the way.

KC_Bobby
02-09-2011, 10:48 PM
I don't believe in the Dead Money theory ... any given weekend.

Scottie
02-09-2011, 11:09 PM
This whole notion of big teams and stuff just makes me laugh. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of BBQ heros and some damn good cooks as my friends. But do they intimidate me? As Bob said, any given day... they don't win them all. People treat me sometimes like I am a rock star. (Stupid i know!!!) Come on folks, I've won a big BBQ contest and have had a little success over the years..... I'd rather them treat me like a rock star because of what I do for cancer research. Don't be afraid to approach teams. If folks are busy, they'll let you know. Just respect them enough not to go in their cooking area without being invited..

And its not dead money... it's field fillers.... ;)

roksmith
02-10-2011, 05:52 AM
What these guys said !! I'd rather compete against the best any day.. Really gets your attention.
Nobody starts off as a BBQ rockstar like Scottie here :)
Ya gotta start somewhere.. and you don't really get an idea where your Q stands until you land on the same table as some of these guys.
It's all fun and competition is what it's all about.
And I agree also with the fact that most of these "big guys" are some of the nicest folks you will meet. BBQ tends to attract good people. Haven't met too many that won't sit and BS with you while drinking a beer or three.. especially Friday nights.
Just be respectful of their space and you'll probably get invited in.

Oh Yea.. and it's not about secrets.. it's about good technique and flavor profile.. just takes time to learn :)

Muzzlebrake
02-10-2011, 09:43 AM
People treat me sometimes like I am a rock star. (Stupid i know!!!) Come on folks, I've won a big BBQ contest and have had a little success over the years.....

well stop dressing like one with the fauxhawk and the shoes!:becky:

You brought up a great point about those teams that might have the same caliber of cook(s) as the top 5 KCBS ToY teams but aren't able for whatever reason to put in the travel time required to be in the KCBS ToY chase. I can name 4-5 teams here in the Northeast that have a good chance to win the Sam's Club that compete maybe 6-10 times a year, not nearly enough for the KCBS ToY.

In this series, I like that in order to be the "National Champion" you are going to have to have 2 pretty good days and one really good day against what I think is shaping up to be some tough competition across the board. I know that in order to get to the Royal or the Jack you have to win a contest and not just place, but I don't think that all of those qualifiers are going to have the same competitive balance as the qualifiers for this Championship.

Scottie
02-10-2011, 09:54 AM
the long hair doesn't work for me at my firm anymore... In the '80's was one thing.. Mohawks are all good though.. :becky: