PDA

View Full Version : Pracitice Competition (Pron Heavy )

The Moss Pit
02-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Been a while since I have been on, life always seems to interfere with BBQ, but I digress... We ran our final practice comp. this past weekend, pron to follow, had a great time. Would like some honest feed back on our turn in boxes and I know you Brothers and sisters will do just that. Also would like to know if anybody has had to complete backyard to compete in an FBA competition? Hearing rumors about that. Here comes the pron, let 'er rip.

Fatback Joe
02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Also would like to know if anybody has had to complete backyard to compete in an FBA competition?

Unless something changed recently, you do not have to do backyard first in FBA.

Also, remember.........no garnish allowed in FBA, just the meat in the box.

Ford
02-08-2011, 10:29 AM
FBA - minimum of 8 pieces per box and no garnish. Don't need to do backyard first. You need to fill the box in FBA.

Fatback Joe
02-08-2011, 10:34 AM
You need to fill the box in FBA.

I'll second that. You should not see the bottom of the box after you get the meat in there. No white.

The Moss Pit
02-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Unless something changed recently, you do not have to do backyard first in FBA.

Also, remember.........no garnish allowed in FBA, just the meat in the box.
good info :doh: should have read the rules first, not just assumed

The Moss Pit
02-08-2011, 11:03 AM
FBA - minimum of 8 pieces per box and no garnish. Don't need to do backyard first. You need to fill the box in FBA.
I think we are doing the backyard in Hainse City first just to get our feet wet

Fatback Joe
02-08-2011, 11:30 AM
good info :doh: should have read the rules first, not just assumed

Yeah, make sure you know the rules. Don't put yourself at a disadvantage.

Good luck at Haines City.

Porky
02-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Haines is one of the larger contests so I am sure that there will be quite a few Backyard competitors. Take notes on your times, temps, etc and make sure of one thing.....HAVE FUN.

See you in Haines, I'll be judging.

Fishiest1
02-08-2011, 04:33 PM
It will be my first comp as well. I was lucky enough to be able to hang out with Ford one weekend and Hot Wachulas another. It was a great learning experience, I actually might do slightly better than terrible now thanks to them! :)

Good luck and look forward to meeting you. We will be Zoo-Wee Mama BBQ. Yes, our kids picked out the name! :)

The_Kapn
02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
It will be my first comp as well. I was lucky enough to be able to hang out with Ford one weekend and Hot Wachulas another. It was a great learning experience, I actually might do slightly better than terrible now thanks to them! :)

Good luck and look forward to meeting you. We will be Zoo-Wee Mama BBQ. Yes, our kids picked out the name! :)

This is what I was gonna suggest!

Most of the FBA teams are happy to mentor.
If you just "go cook", you will learn some stuff, but it is not focused and just guessing.
If you hook up with a team, you get like a "mini class" in competetion! :-D

I would be glad to have you with us, but we are up in Tallahassee that weekend.

Have a great time---Haines is a good (if busy) comp.

TIM

Dan - 3eyzbbq
02-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Very quick review. Sauce on the chicken looks a bit much and very chunky. That pepper flake on the brisket draws my eye, may want to watch that. The pork.........not looking to good to me. LOOKS dry, might not be and if I had to guess, I'd say needs to be cooked more. Again, just a guess based on a pic. Might want to sauce that pork lightly. Ribs look ok, maybe less sauce. Overall, the presentations don't look bad, just needs a bit of refinement.

Good job :-D

warfrat
02-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Ditto what Dan said...I would also suggest writing down a schedule, just to help keep you on track. Good Luck!