PDA

View Full Version : Great American Barbecue Update 2011

KC_Bobby
02-04-2011, 09:27 AM
New Location:

http://www.thinkbbq.com/uploads/file/gab_newlocation2011.pdf

KC_Bobby
02-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Now, could someone tell me what it says? My computer seems to be struggling with the pdf.

BBQ Grail
02-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Great American Barbecue Festival Announces
Upgrades to New Overland Park Location

“New Central Location Could Draw up to 40,000 Families and
Foodies from Across the Metro”

Overland Park, Kansas (February 2, 2011)
The Great American BBQ Festival will move from its former KCK digs, to the
Overland Park International Trade Center (OPTC), 6800 W 115th Street , off of I-435
and Metcalf, for its May 20-21st BBQ blowout. Civic Philanthropist John Rubenstein
has donated the 10 acre facility to generate excitement for the area, and to bring
Kansas City’s BBQ heritage closer to home. OPTC’s Chief Engineer, Dave Easley
says that this “Is a natural combination. We are excited to bring the Great American
to Overland Park”.

In its 7th year of existence, The Great American’s Executive Director, Tracy Satterfield
remarked that “We’ve been around for awhile, and the opportunity to get closer to
the heart of the city, is timed perfectly. With over 237,000 people living within 5 miles
of the OPTC, we are can share our food, fun and philanthropy with a whole new
audience”. KCBS founder Carolyn Wells notes that the GAB is one of the city’s crown
jewels. It is one of the largest and most prestigious BBQ events in the country, and
this move will generate a lot of excitement”.

In addition to the new locale, the GAB will host over 180 championship cooking teams
vying for over $40,000 in prize money, over a spectrum of bbq contests, over 5,000
pounds of pork to be sampled, a “Peoples Choice” sauce contest, the Worlds of Fun
Kidz Zone, a children’s “Kids Que” BBQ contest, professional BBQ judging courses,
live music, fireworks and demonstrations from the Culinary Center of Kansas City,
KCBS and Southern Living magazine.

A single day admission for the event will be $10 at the gate. An all-weekend pass
is also available for $15.00 at the gate. Children 12 years and under are admitted
free. Admission to the event includes access to the barbecue cooking areas, the live
musical performances, and the Worlds of Fun Kidz Zone. For more details and ticket
information, go to: www.thinkbbq.com (http://www.thinkbbq.com).

About the Great American Barbecue
The Great American Barbecue is a fundraiser for the 25-to-1 Fund, a 501 (c)(3)
organization affiliated with the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation. Net
proceeds from the event will go to Fox 4 Love Fund, Guadalupe Center, Kookers Kare
and food donations to St. Mary’s Food Kitchen of Kansas city, KS.

bigabyte
02-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Where are they setting up the cooks? On the upper levels of the parking garages or what?

Smokin' Joe
02-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Will there be an invitational event? I can't tell from reading that?

KC_Bobby
02-04-2011, 10:44 AM
If it's a traveling trophy I hope not :becky:

Based on prior discussions with Tracy, the Invite will have Friday turn-ins.

monty3777
02-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Looks like I'll be at Minnesota in May on this weekend. It will be the first KCBS comp with my family - unless another option comes up before then. I guess that's good for us. All the big dogs will be at the GAB!!!!!!!!

Balls Casten
02-04-2011, 11:03 AM
If it's a traveling trophy I hope not :becky:

That would be "Trophies"

crd26a
02-04-2011, 11:22 AM
All the big dogs will be at the GAB!!!!!!!!

125k contest in Vegas is same weekend. Although if someone can rent equipment in one spot, you could cook invitational Thurs/Fri, GAB Fri/Sat, catch a late flight into Vegas and cook Sat/Sun in vegas. That'd be a loooooooooooonnnnnngggggg weekend

HarleyEarl
02-04-2011, 02:01 PM
I like the idea of the venue change. At least the team sites will be relatively level. Got quite a workout going up and down the hill at Sandstone.

Any idea when the application will be available?

Rookie'48
02-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Now I've gotta find an RV park close to the new place - Google here I come!

:help:

KC_Bobby
02-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Dave, unless you plan on parking your 5th wheel at a Country Club I think you might be SOL in Johnson County.

Rookie'48
02-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Google shows one in Merriam & Cottonwood in Bonner Springs, other than those yep SOL.

Just Pulin' Pork
02-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Google shows one in Merriam & Cottonwood in Bonner Springs, other than those yep SOL.

Dave there is a Walmart right across the street. I see RV's and 5th wheels there all the time.

Rookie'48
02-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Hey Jon, does "right across the street" mean within walking / staggering distance? I've seen lots of RVs at Wally World before but I'm not sure if they allow you to drop the trailer.

HarleyEarl
02-04-2011, 07:21 PM
There's an RV Park on 69 Highway at 335th Street about 25 minutes south of the contest. Nice easy drive - mainly highway & almost a straight shot to and from the contest.

Rutlader Outpost RV Park & Middle Creek Theatre
33565 Metcalf Road
Louisburg, KS 66053
(913) 377-2722

http://www.rutladeroutpost.com/

sharks_guy
02-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Will there be an invitational event? I can't tell from reading that?

I heard that there was no invitational and no brisket open. Can anyone confirm?

Rookie'48
02-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanx Marc! I'll check it out :-D.

Just Pulin' Pork
02-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Hey Jon, does "right across the street" mean within walking / staggering distance? I've seen lots of RVs at Wally World before but I'm not sure if they allow you to drop the trailer.

Dave its in walking distance. I am not sure if they let you drop a 5th wheel. I will be there this weekend I will ask and let you know.

Rookie'48
02-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Dave its in walking distance. I am not sure if they let you drop a 5th wheel. I will be there this weekend I will ask and let you know.

Thanx!

stan
02-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Dave there is a small rv park around I35 and Johnson Dr not that far away that my dad stays at when he has his rv with him. Now I've gotta find an RV park close to the new place - Google here I come!

:help:

HarleyEarl
02-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Just out from the GAB:

Feb 11, 2011
Applications open for 2011 Contest
The Great American Barbecue is now accepting applications for the 2011 Contest:
Download the application here (http://www.thinkbbq.com/index.php?page=applications)

Plowboy
02-11-2011, 08:11 PM
No WBO this year. Also heard from same source that there is no Invitational. Friday-Saturday Open only.

smknwhlswife
02-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Dave - I would call Tracy and see if they might be able to let you park your trailer there on site. I don't see them being as big this year with Vegas that weekend. We will be in TX.

4 smokin butts
02-12-2011, 12:33 PM
no inventational this year, they said they could not get a sponser

Plowboy
02-12-2011, 06:19 PM
$340 minimum if you want electricity... and that is just for the four meats. That's spendy for these parts.

4 smokin butts
02-12-2011, 06:28 PM
this was our first time getting to go,do ya know what they charged last year,new location too

Plowboy
02-12-2011, 06:53 PM
this was our first time getting to go,do ya know what they charged last year,new location too

About the same(maybe up a bit), but when you factored in the Invitational (free), you kinda felt like you were getting two contests for the price.

Last year we didn't get electricity on the first day of the Invitational until after 4:30p. They only called top 5 in categories in the Invitational. Never sent ribbons for 6 and down. Started Invitational and WBO awards 30 minutes early, but didn't communicate to all of the teams.

KC_Bobby
02-12-2011, 07:02 PM
But them awards ended well. :thumb:

crd26a
02-12-2011, 10:59 PM
$340 minimum if you want electricity... and that is just for the four meats. That's spendy for these parts.

Looks like my May just got a lot more free.

4 smokin butts
02-12-2011, 11:11 PM
vegas looks better now

Plowboy
02-13-2011, 08:25 AM
But them awards ended well. :thumb:

Really? How was it getting the RGC trophy for GC, because someone at the GAB didn't order a GC trophy? I'm sure the person who got squat for 5th place was really happy.

Last year's contest was a comedy of errors.

moocow
02-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Way to much money considering the event site was donated to them for this years contest.(At least that's the way I understood the press release) We qualified for the invite but had already decided to head to Oklahoma for another contest that weekend before we heard there was going to be no invitational. Glad we made that call! We just did not like the way the GAB was setup or run and it did not leave us with a feeling that we just had to come back. Hope they do well in there location and I think it could have a bright future at this location when they get things worked out.

This Is How We Que It
02-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Got our first gc last year and was looking forward to our first invite at GAB, guess not.

HoDeDo
02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
We'll be in Conroe, but the new venue should be great. It is within a block of two large grocery stores, 8 mins from the KC BBQ store, there are restaraunts within walking distance, and hotels are a stones throw away. should be a great venue.

We always made a party of the 2-3 comps at the GAB. 3rd year of doing a hog on Friday night, and Sat night we have done some potluck action manytimes... last year, we went out and bought a CAB striploin that the butcher dug out of the back of the cooler they were aging for thier own case, and weWe'll had killer steaks marinaded with midwest mex. We had some guests in for the weekend, from TX and OK :)

Sorry to hear about them scaling back... With Vegas to compete against, and no invitational to draw in distant teams, I have a feeling that attendance will be down. But we will consider it again next year. We were originally looking at going to Abilene this year on that weekend.

DaveElliott
02-21-2011, 11:11 AM
I have emailed the GAB twice and called once trying to confirm about the Invitational, and they won't respond. We were really looking forward to doing our first Invitational, but if they are not having it, I'll spend the 340 on two other contests somewhere else.

crd26a
02-21-2011, 11:52 AM
I have emailed the GAB twice and called once trying to confirm about the Invitational, and they won't respond. We were really looking forward to doing our first Invitational, but if they are not having it, I'll spend the 340 on two other contests somewhere else.

This is easily my thought, if not the fact that its a stupidly high entry fee to begin with for the overall contest. I'm not sure what they're hoping for in attendance, but this will def. drive it down.

Arlin_MacRae
02-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Wow, this looks like a comedy of errors in the making... :(

Plowboy
03-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Looks like they have 18'x24' spots now at $210. That's a little more like it. Still $25 for a 20 amp service, so you are looking at $235 for the most basic spot. Not bad. About average costs. But look at this, some teams can't set up until 5pm on Friday? Others can leave until midnight? WTF!

Space Assignments will be based on first come, first serve basis upon receipt of entry.
*Team spaces in Lots A&B – CANNOT and WILL NOT be allowed to pull out of team space
until midnight on Saturday night, May 21, 2011 – or until safety officers give the OK.

*Teams in Lot B CANNOT set up until 5pm on Friday, May 20, 2011.

*Teams is Lot C can leave at any time after the awards ceremony – there are very limited spaces in Lot C and once they are full – they are full, plus we will only sell these as singles code 1 spaces.

nwelch
03-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Geez, sounds like the GAB is going to be a cluster this year, glad we opted out of this one for this year!

Jeff_in_KC
03-07-2011, 10:15 PM
The GAB has been a cluster for several years. I'll say it - they USED to be the best! When I first cooked it at the Woodlands about five or six years ago, the customer service was impeccable! Teams were catered to left and right. Now, you can't get water or ice for chit but they have a damned t-shirt vender selling GAB shirts every five minutes! Service sucks, the organizational aspects of the contest sucks and here's a capper--- today, I come home from work and what do I have in the mail? Yep... a 1099 - FIVE WEEKS LATE beyond the January 31 deadline! WTF? Are you kidding me??? Many people already have taxes done by now, GAB. There will be a phone call made tomorrow morning and I guarantee you a fly on the wall will chit itself.

thenewguy
03-07-2011, 11:17 PM
The service we received the last time we competed there was enough to make me not come back.
It looks like I'm not the only one that they couldn't care less about.

HoDeDo
03-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Jeff-
Just FYI, you might check your 1099, also, to make sure the $$ is in the right box. Mine had the money from Smoke n' Coasters on the form as "rent"... (box 1) , when it should be box 3.

I talked to Tracy today. Their accountant was a volunteer who left, so she had to find a new person to do them - she apologized for the issues. IF you want to save your blood pressure a little bit of increase :) just sayin lol

KC_Bobby
03-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Well, I'm gonna guess I have one waiting in my mailbox too. Fortunately we have not done Boondoggle taxes yet.

trueque
03-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Wowsa, I am registered and was more excited about it than I am now reading through this thread.

Jeff_in_KC
03-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Jeff-
Just FYI, you might check your 1099, also, to make sure the $$ is in the right box. Mine had the money from Smoke n' Coasters on the form as "rent"... (box 1) , when it should be box 3.

I talked to Tracy today. Their accountant was a volunteer who left, so she had to find a new person to do them - she apologized for the issues. IF you want to save your blood pressure a little bit of increase :) just sayin lol

Yeah, mine was listed as rent as well. Guess I can contest that then, huh? :becky:

Scottie
03-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Ford said no.

;)

Yeah, mine was listed as rent as well. Guess I can contest that then, huh? :becky: