PDA

View Full Version : Festival Debit\Credit Card

Buckscent
02-02-2011, 02:33 PM
What do you guy's that set up on the side of the road or do festivals or basically go where no phone line is available for Debit\Credit Cards? I will be setting up in different towns in my state and most people these day's use debit cards and I will have no access to phone lines.

btcg
02-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Take cash!

HBMTN
02-02-2011, 02:42 PM
I had the same questions when I started but found most will have cash and the rest will find an ATM. Never had a customer come up yet and did not buy because I did not take cards. The rates they all charge is not worth it for me.

Slamdunkpro
02-02-2011, 03:33 PM
What do you guy's that set up on the side of the road or do festivals or basically go where no phone line is available for Debit\Credit Cards? I will be setting up in different towns in my state and most people these day's use debit cards and I will have no access to phone lines.

There's a new goodie out there called The Square (https://squareup.com/) which allows you to take credit cards via your iPhone, Android, or iPad. I saw it in action last night and it works really well. No contract or monthly fee required. I was impressed enough that I might have to buy an iPhone.

Bbq Bubba
02-02-2011, 04:12 PM
I agree. Cash talks.

I never lost a sale not having a card machine.

Hank Daddy's Barbecue
02-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Last season I used a wireless debit machine. That cost well over $60 per month with no transaction cost.

I will not be re-using it as it really did not pay having it.

I agree with the comments above. Cash is best and ATM's are always nearby.

getyourrubonbbq
02-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Do cash only, by the time you pay the fee's plus wait for the money to be deposited into your account you'd wish had just stuck with cash.

Bigdog
02-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Credit/Debit cards, good question. First of all, you don't have to have a phone line. You can swipe the cards with an old fashion card imprinter and then batch them out later when you get to a phone line. The only problem with this is you don't get instant confirmation #s, but in my 7 years in business, I never had one that did not go through. Much safer than checks. There are other options, as others have mentioned, as well. If you are not doing a lot of sales, then it may be cost prohibitive. But you will lose sales and you will loose money over it. I guarantee it. Take your cost, subtract your potential lost sales, add your added sales and then ask yourself if it is worth it.

Panthers65
02-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Square (as mentioned above) seems to be an excellent program. All you really need is a business account at your bank to qualify, and there is no monthly fee, just a % of each transaction

jbrink01
02-02-2011, 10:04 PM
CASH only.

Smokin Mike
02-06-2011, 10:27 AM
There's a new goodie out there called The Square (https://squareup.com/) which allows you to take credit cards via your iPhone, Android, or iPad. I saw it in action last night and it works really well. No contract or monthly fee required. I was impressed enough that I might have to buy an iPhone.

that is cool, thanks for the heads up!:cool:

M271
02-06-2011, 10:41 AM
I use a wireless service cost me 30 a month and 0.07% of the sale and .15 card swipe. I have to say that it has increased my business. I have a year round road side stand.